OH OH - Vicki Dylewski, 25, Steubenville, 20 April 1981

ginzy

Reaction score
Hi I am new to WS. I grew up near Steubenville Ohio, in Jefferson co. In the early 80's a woman named Vicky Dwileski was found in her car shot to death in fernwood state forest. 12 yrs later her drivers liscence was found in a drop off mail box, no fingerprints where found on it. Her murder has never been solved. I can't find any links pertaining to this at all.

In Dec 1995 3 weeks before christmas, 13 yo Barbara Barnes was walking 2 blocks to Harding Middle School where she was in the 8th grade (I think). She never made it to school that morning. She was found 2 months later in a shallow grave in the woods outside weirton Wva, near Florence Pa?? or maybe it was Burgettstown..Not real sure..i just knows it runs off of Hwy 22. Friends and family have a erected a memorial cross near where her remains were found. Her killer has never been found. I believe that AMW did a story on her a few yrs back...there are very few leads and I can't find much info on-line either.

These 2 murders have haunted me for yrs. The first one ,Vicki Dwileski, I think about quite often, I have been to Fernwood Forest State Park and to be quite honest it gives me the eebie geebies in the daytime. That place is just plain spooky. It's sad to know that her final moments where at such a spooky place. I was prob 10 yrs old when that murder happened. I worked with her cousin about 10yrs later.

Barbara Barnes hits close to home, I was living near Steubenville and my parents lived in Steubenville, not far from where she was abducted. I didn't know her or any of her family. But it was all over the news. I moved out of state a month later and brother called me when they found her body in the woods. I cried, she was only 13 yo and walking to school like she had everyday in such a relatively safe area.
These 2 cold cases haunt me. I would like to know what happened to them. Who killed them?? Why??

Here is the link to the AMW feature on Barbara Barnes----
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=37190

Here also is the text of an article from the Warrenville (PA) North Hills News Standard about the finding of Barbara's body.

Mother identifies body found
near airport as girl from Ohio
The Associated Press
PITTSBURGH: The Allegheny County Coroner's Office said Saturday
that a body found near the Pittsburgh International Airport is that of
a missing girl from Ohio. Surveyors mapping plans for a
highway Thursday discovered the body of Barbara Barnes, 13, of
Steubenville in a wooded area. The seventh-grader was last seen
Dec. 7. Her mother verified her identity, officials said.
Coroner Cyril Wecht said the girl was killed in early December
but has not determined how she was killed. Police Sgt David
Schwab said the body was buried in a creek. Authorities are
releasing no further details concerning clothing or personal effects
at the crime scene pending the outcome of the autopsy.
Despite an FBI investigation and a nationwide search for Barnes,
The case provided few leads and clues. The FBI is offering a $5,000
reward for information about Barnes' disappearance.

Thank you ShadowAngel....I still can't seem to find anything regarding Dwileski...any suggestions on where I should start looking?

Do you have any way to check the spelling of the name?

no that is all I have Dweleski or Dwileski.
I have been trying to do an internet search on cold cases in steub, Oh and I am not getting anything.

Ginzy,

Vicki Dylewski was my cousin. She died April 20,1981. This murder has also haunted me over and over again. The information about her murder that you posted was incorrect and I would love to have help in researching this murder. My father was a policeman and did try to help my aunt and uncle solve this case but evidence waas lost and things were tampered with. Please contact me. thank you.:banghead:

Story on the local Steubenville channel WTOV-9 (unfortunately very little info :():

http://www.wtov9.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/who-killed-vicki-riffle-dylewski-2301.shtml

O/T marlalouise, do you know if there are any local missing women in your area? Police have just found a woman's body in a man's home in Weirton, W VA. He was arrested in Steubenville though, not the home.

http://www.wtrf.com/story/24169552/wva-man-arrested-in-ohio-body-found-in-his-home

It's a little strange though - LE were investigating a woman being robbed at gunpoint and her vehicle being stolen. When they searched the suspect's home, they found a woman's body. I don't know what this might lead to.

But I don't think there can be any connection to Vicki's case, this man is 47 so would only have been a 15 year old teenager in 1981.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/features/...robbery-investigation-2479.shtml#.UqXs6su9KSM

According to the WTOV article linked above, Vicki's mother states she went to the park to jog.

"She was funny and you could have a lot of fun with her,” said Riffle. “That's just how she was." But one trip to Fernwood State Forest in Jefferson County on the night of April 20, 1981 ended her life. "She went jogging and she didn't come home and I knew something was a matter," said Riffle.

Read More at: http://www.wtov9.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/who-killed-vicki-riffle-dylewski-2301.shtml

The weather that day and evening was unseasonably chilly, though.

http://www.wunderground.com/history...=Steubenville&req_state=OH&req_statename=Ohio

If she went there in the evening, the temperature would have been around 45 degrees. While jogging was just becoming popular back then, it wasn't common to see people jogging in the evening in such cool temperatures.

If she was found in her car, it makes me wonder if she was actually there to meet someone.

The park seems to be rather isolated and, since it was a Monday, there probably weren't many people there, especially in the evening.

http://goo.gl/maps/iXM65

ETA: Also, an interesting comment at her "Find A Grave" page

Parents: Theodore Ezra "Ted" Riffle & Edna [MNU] Riffle. Vicki was murdered by a stray bullet, which was fired during a robbery, (I believe it was) near her place of work. The Cadueces pictured on her headstone is indicative of her profession, as a Registered Nurse & Anesthesiologist.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=30137859

O/T marlalouise, do you know if there are any local missing women in your area? Police have just found a woman's body in a man's home in Weirton, W VA. He was arrested in Steubenville though, not the home.

http://www.wtrf.com/story/24169552/wva-man-arrested-in-ohio-body-found-in-his-home

Wow! I need to start watching the local news a little more. I hadn't even heard. I'll see what I can find out. There aren't any missing local women, well not anyone I've heard of recently.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I found one missing woman from Cadiz, Ohio, which isn't that far west of Steubenville (maybe a 15-20 minute drive. My husband used to work in Cadiz and it took him a half hour or so to get there. You'd think I would know how far, but I've had a rough day. )

Nicole "Nikki" Konanec - missing since November 2012

http://heraldstaronline.com/page/co...-requests-info-on-missing-woman.html?nav=5010

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Ginzy,

Vicki Dylewski was my cousin. She died April 20,1981. This murder has also haunted me over and over again. The information about her murder that you posted was incorrect and I would love to have help in researching this murder. My father was a policeman and did try to help my aunt and uncle solve this case but evidence waas lost and things were tampered with. Please contact me. thank you.:banghead:

Hi, My name is Lori I live in Toronto. A few friends of mine and I started a podcast and am starting a youtube channel. It is about unsolved cases in the Ohio Valley. We are extremely interested in this case. We too would love to research this murder. You can contact me at anemome productions on fb or you can message me directly here. If you are still interested please let me know. Have a wonderful day!

Hi I am new to WS. I grew up near Steubenville Ohio, in Jefferson co. In the early 80's a woman named Vicky Dwileski was found in her car shot to death in fernwood state forest. 12 yrs later her drivers liscence was found in a drop off mail box, no fingerprints where found on it. Her murder has never been solved. I can't find any links pertaining to this at all.

In Dec 1995 3 weeks before christmas, 13 yo Barbara Barnes was walking 2 blocks to Harding Middle School where she was in the 8th grade (I think). She never made it to school that morning. She was found 2 months later in a shallow grave in the woods outside weirton Wva, near Florence Pa?? or maybe it was Burgettstown..Not real sure..i just knows it runs off of Hwy 22. Friends and family have a erected a memorial cross near where her remains were found. Her killer has never been found. I believe that AMW did a story on her a few yrs back...there are very few leads and I can't find much info on-line either.

These 2 murders have haunted me for yrs. The first one ,Vicki Dwileski, I think about quite often, I have been to Fernwood Forest State Park and to be quite honest it gives me the eebie geebies in the daytime. That place is just plain spooky. It's sad to know that her final moments where at such a spooky place. I was prob 10 yrs old when that murder happened. I worked with her cousin about 10yrs later.

Barbara Barnes hits close to home, I was living near Steubenville and my parents lived in Steubenville, not far from where she was abducted. I didn't know her or any of her family. But it was all over the news. I moved out of state a month later and brother called me when they found her body in the woods. I cried, she was only 13 yo and walking to school like she had everyday in such a relatively safe area.
These 2 cold cases haunt me. I would like to know what happened to them. Who killed them?? Why??

Hello...I am Vicki Dylewski's nephew! Seeing this post was old, I would like to rekindle anything that is still out there. I have very good knowledge of whatever anybody would like to know even tho I was only 4 yrs. old at the time. But feel free to message me. Thank you

Welcome Cory Wray!

We'd certainly like to hear of any information you can share about your aunt. It would be nice to generate some interest in solving her murder. She sounds like she was a wonderful person, very smart, too.

I'm having a little trouble accessing some of the old news stories that previously contained information about her murder, but will keep searching. Any information would be helpful.

Was she found out in the open or in her car? Where in the park was she found? When was her body discovered and by whom? Was she married at the time? I noticed that Riffe was her maiden name. Where did she work?

Thanks very much.

It sounds like there is evidence they can test for DNA. The article also states she was shot at close range with a gun aimed at a certain spot on her neck.

According to the autopsy report, fingernail clippings were collected, but with the lack of DNA technology in the 1980s, no testing was ever done. Sheriff Abdalla said evidence collected from the scene and Vicki’s body at the time is being resubmitted for testing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back