After bride is left at altar, guest steps up to marry her

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
Updated: 1:52 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 | Posted: 1:52 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013
A bride in India showed up expecting to marry one guy and ended up marrying a wedding guest instead, according to a story in "The Times of India."
The 23-year-old bride was supposed to marry a 35-year-old man who backed out of the marriage by not showing up at the ceremony.
The intended groom's parents said he argued with them before leaving home.
When locals heard that the bride had been stranded at the altar, a relative of the bride stepped in to marry her, according to the report.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/weird...ink_relatedcontent_2013_morepopularheadlines4

:facepalm::scared::scared::scared:

a relative? I hope it was by marriage or at least a third cousin

a relative? I hope it was by marriage or at least a third cousin

Uhhh...not likely by marriage. Inbreeding is a BIG thing in India and Pakistan. Little know fact but it produces a LOT of messed up offspring with serious disabilities. In countries with government health care (like the U.K.) it can cost a fortune to take care of the disabled produced from these marriages but no one likes to talk about it cause it ain't PC.

Of marriages in rural areas, 46·9% were consanguineous, and in urban areas, 29·1%. In more than 80% of the consanguineous marriages, the spouses were first cousins or more closely related.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1012776/

Well, it proves the old adage that guys are like subway trains. Don't run after them, another one is coming up any minute now.

Seriously, it sounds a bit appalling. We don't care who you marry as long as we get you off our hands and the wedding feast doesn't go to waste.

The former groom seems to have a bit of an unpredictable temper, walking out of his home like that and leaving a bride without a word so let's hope that the new guy is better natured and more responsible.

The Times of India does not report on the nature of the relationship.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...rai/44137462_1_wedding-kind-gesture-sivakumar

Sivakumar, who is a relative of the bride, subsequently agreed to marry Ponradha after much persuasion.
http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/11/18/Woman-stages-sitin-outside-lovers-house.aspx

BBM. I'm not sure that's a good sign for the union.

Poor Ponradha!

I have heard a few fairytale romance stories which have come from arranged marriages. Not many, but then there aren't really that many from the other kind either.. Anyway, I hope hers is like that - love slowly blossoming and then all there is to do is grow old together, happily ever after. :heart:

She deserves happiness, after a day like that. :(

This switching partners stuff happens all the time in Bollywood romance films. There is a pair of lovers, then well meaning families arrange a marriage for one of them, sometimes both and the devastated lovers decide to sacrifice their happiness for the happiness of the family, until the truth comes out at the last minute at the wedding when they've already halfway through the rituals. Then they switch grooms and presumably are happy ever after.

But this kind of sounds like some unwilling bachelor was pressured "to do the right thing" by his family and I really hope he is a nice guy who won't take his resentment out on her after the wedding guests have gone home.

Uhhh...not likely by marriage. Inbreeding is a BIG thing in India and Pakistan. Little know fact but it produces a LOT of messed up offspring with serious disabilities. In countries with government health care (like the U.K.) it can cost a fortune to take care of the disabled produced from these marriages but no one likes to talk about it cause it ain't PC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1012776/

disabilities that they hide from everyone; so many are wounded; subjected to bombings and have limbs missing but others suffer from public caste system that imo is the most horrible thing. It's like NK's com system; you pay for the family's sins. Even if it's your 4th great great whatever...you pay. For your whole life.

born disabled in this country families will hide them away.

... inbreeding doesn't just happen in India. And it's a total myth that it always results in malformed offspring. There's some pretty serious hereditary genetic problems and/or long term inbreeding needed to make that a major concern.

Not saying it's right, or that problems of that kind don't happen in India. Just, they happen everywhere else, too, and are not always a problem, per se.

egad. Under Much Persuasion? How freaking sad is that.

If you haven't seen WATER; see it to understand the caste system there. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240200/

IE better to BE a bride than a Widow in this country

The very poor treatment of women in India is one of the few examples where I cannot put aside my own culture's ways to appreciate that not all others live as I do.

There's tradition - and there's culturally ingrained abuse. Just because abuse has happened for a long time, don't make it right.

Around the top of leading causes of death for women in India was, the last time I looked, household electrical fires. This statistic thinly disguises the practise of wife-burning, culturally acceptable murder outlawed many years ago officially, but nevertheless still rampant today.

Any culture in which violence and threat to women is institutional NEEDS a pile of heavy sanctions to force it to get up to speed with human rights. I don't where or how ancient it is.

... inbreeding doesn't just happen in India. And it's a total myth that it always results in malformed offspring. There's some pretty serious hereditary genetic problems and/or long term inbreeding needed to make that a major concern.

Not saying it's right, or that problems of that kind don't happen in India. Just, they happen everywhere else, too, and are not always a problem, per se.

Wikipedia's article on cousin marriage makes interesting reading:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

Note the first example given.

Well if most of you did your ancestry search; to the bone the bare bones; you would mostly find that on one side of your family cousins married cousins. There was no transportation. So your group your circle was limited to those you knew and loved. Cousins. It's not a crime any longer and we all know what inbreeding does. But; just one marriage to a cousin does not equal inbreeding. Most americans have cousin to cousin marriages in their own lines. i do, so do you. And mine were first cousins.....I"m not a freak...lol. There were no deformities...to speak of.

Well if most of you did your ancestry search; to the bone the bare bones; you would mostly find that on one side of your family cousins married cousins. There was no transportation. So your group your circle was limited to those you knew and loved. Cousins. It's not a crime any longer and we all know what inbreeding does. But; just one marriage to a cousin does not equal inbreeding. Most americans have cousin to cousin marriages in their own lines. i do, so do you. And mine were first cousins.....I"m not a freak...lol. There were no deformities...to speak of.

One marriage might not equal inbreeding, but if there is a history of doing so, it will lead to no good. Royal families had a number of inheritable diseases.

The very poor treatment of women in India is one of the few examples where I cannot put aside my own culture's ways to appreciate that not all others live as I do.

There's tradition - and there's culturally ingrained abuse. Just because abuse has happened for a long time, don't make it right.

Around the top of leading causes of death for women in India was, the last time I looked, household electrical fires. This statistic thinly disguises the practise of wife-burning, culturally acceptable murder outlawed many years ago officially, but nevertheless still rampant today.

Any culture in which violence and threat to women is institutional NEEDS a pile of heavy sanctions to force it to get up to speed with human rights. I don't where or how ancient it is.

Thank you for writing that. I know that it moves me; when I sit here and have everthing; too much and others because of an ancient caste system are cast out; or into hiding for their lives as widows.

Recently I had been watching bbc series, I try to catch some here and there. Sev were crime dramas and one thing really stood out to me. No offense pls no one think I am attacking here; but it has become really obvious that in London people are not very nice to each other. The bias against women is still there; and esp in the work force. Their contempt of one another bleeds through in the writing; in the plots, and in the way they speak to each other. I find it fascinating...then again so many I know are miserable living in England. For so many reasons. I also had a dream to go....but now I'm finding that wow...from just watching *too many* recent and older series that the discrimination women face their is rampant. The Queen does nothing...the Youth Riots and is in uproar, there isn't great food...some still eat meat in a tin. It's given me a new perspective on the English culture and how so much HASN'T CHANGED. This is their life and it bleeds through in what they serve for breakfast dinner...etc. There seems to be no middle class just lower class and the rich and then of course The Queen.

I can see why the youth are rioting now so often in England. But it's been like this huge enlightening discovery to see how they treat each other. I mean coworkers, neighbors, loved ones, or frenemies even. They knit pick they talk behind backs, all kinds of things I've seen bleed through their writing in really great shows. Esp Prime Suspect w Helen Mirren it is shocking and I wonder if it was based on someone real. Luther, and the crimes are horrific. So are the Plots but hey it's true crime....it's human behavior. That's what I love to study.

I feel awful for this girl she is just a child and being left at the alter could have been seen as bad as being left widowed in that system in India. IT's just as enlightening to know; that so many are forced to defecate in public amongst others. How Demeaning would that be. I can imagine...how embarrassing how awful, but why haven't they done ANYTHING in INDIA to fix this public defecation issue? They don't care about women. Peroid. We only burned bras in America.

When the Taj Mahal happened; I witness live online male newscasters being extremely rude to women broadcasters, oftentimes telling them on air to "shut up" and lets give it over to.....*some other male correspondent* It was awful to watch awful to hear how they spoke to the women who held the same position they did.

We need to change the world. We can change the world. But no one bothers. Just let them go "outside on the railroad tracks." They have the technology they just don't care about women; most die in childbirth not just africa...all over. It's so sad. But I really wanted to say again if you haven't seen Water it is an eye opener into India's caste system and what happens to the women; GIRLS that are like 9 that are married to some old fart who then dies on them. she has no idea of the horrors of her fate that lie ahead. It's just not fair.

One marriage might not equal inbreeding, but if there is a history of doing so, it will lead to no good. Royal families had a number of inheritable diseases.

Yes :) Of course this is true; even in animals. I used to deal with the raising of a specific breed and the disease and weakness in the lines became very apparent...no matter what I tried ....I am so aware of that.

We all have cousins. The thing is; this CHILD ...in her country it was better to be "seen" as married to ANYONE other than being left at the alter. Because most men forever; would think OK there is must be something wrong with her. It would have/could have ruined her life. But will the marriage ruin her spirit?

I say it will.....but I hope her the best.

How old would she have to be to be called an adult?

I am SO grateful for not being in that culture.
Thank you God, Thank you God, Thank you God.
It is a dictatorship.
My culture where women often had to marry young, and need to know about home, food, and children
while men need to go to college was enough of a burden. :(

But we too have the religious sect, who customarily still pick out their children s bride, or groom while the kids are still in diapers
This makes me sad / sick.

It is time the world and all its cultures start to ask whom they want to spend their lives with.
NO WONDER so many have issues, mental, physical, and spiritual.

How old would she have to be to be called an adult?

In some cultures they marry them off at age of 8 -10-12 and they start having children ASAP.
I IMAGINE that when they start having children they are adults.... NOT!!!!

In my book it is just children having children.

But They mature very young so maybe teenagers are adults :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back