AL - Karen Shahan, 53, murdered, Homewood, 23 July 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the locals and there hasn't been a peep here on any of the newscasts or newspapers since maybe August on this murder. I hope they're not going to let it go cold :(

Thank you for your checking and reporting on Karen's case, ClemiFern! :seeya:

I'm very discouraged. Most of the cases I get attached to involve women who are missing where foul play is suspected. No body, no arrests, one or several possible suspects. They're seldom solved.

In Karen's case, and in the case of the male medical student in MI, both killed in their own residences, body left as it was when accosted, not too much time passed between murder and LE arriving on scene, yet police are unable to solve the cases. Two totally different cases but no or not enough evidence to name a suspect let alone solve the case. It seems easy to murder someone these days.

I've read comments that police solve lots of cases but, because we're on WS, we follow more difficult cases so that's why it seems as if police seldom solve cases. Where are all the common cases police are solving that we're not paying attention to or hearing about?

Anyway, I hoped to find they made progress in this case when I saw it on the first page again. Too bad.

Justice will come. It might not be in the traditional and earthly form some of us are expecting but I am sure the perp will pay for this :)

Justice will come. It might not be in the traditional and earthly form some of us are expecting but I am sure the perp will pay for this :)

True, true...

But I'm hoping for it in both forms!

I'm honestly just shocked it's gone totally silent.

Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the country. I love Hobby Lobby and can spend hours wandering in them, and if I were closer, I'd go wander in her old store and chat up some of her old employees and see what they are thinking! :blushing:

True, true...

But I'm hoping for it in both forms!

I'm honestly just shocked it's gone totally silent.

Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the country. I love Hobby Lobby and can spend hours wandering in them, and if I were closer, I'd go wander in her old store and chat up some of her old employees and see what they are thinking! :blushing:
Maybe us WSers should take up a collection... so that we can all send TBug to Hobby Lobby to do some "boots on the ground" sleuthing for us all! :floorlaugh:

But... seriously.. the silence is so very frustrating... :sigh:

JMO

I can't believe the silence on this case. Nothing. I don't get it. Why are people in the community okay with this? I can't find anything current, no blogs or anything. So sad.

Not that every murder is not "brutal", but upon reviewing the news articles published on this crime, I cannot find a statement from Law Enforcement where they use this word. The term "brutal murder" was used as a headline early in the case, but the police basically said nigh onto nothing other than it was "apparent that it was a murder".

I keep getting my posts deleted- but I've said from the beginning that the title to this thread is misleading in a way.

I can't believe the silence on this case. Nothing. I don't get it. Why are people in the community okay with this? I can't find anything current, no blogs or anything. So sad.

It's not that the community is OK with the silence. It is that most people believe that LE knows who killed Karen, or at least who was involved in her murder, and that they are still trying to build the case. It can take LE years, in some instances, before they are able to arrest the guilty person or persons involved in a murder case.
The Homewood Police Dept. has not forgotten Karen, nor has the community. It is still being discussed by those in the area because I've been involved in some of those conversations.

I do believe this case will be solved.

Maybe us WSers should take up a collection... so that we can all send TBug to Hobby Lobby to do some "boots on the ground" sleuthing for us all! :floorlaugh:

But... seriously.. the silence is so very frustrating... :sigh:

JMO

Bug uses far less justifiable reasons to get to a Hobby Lobby, this, at least, would be a purposeful trip :floorlaugh:

I keep thinking TODAY will be the day and then...

Well, now we're just about 4 months out.

Not that every murder is not "brutal", but upon reviewing the news articles published on this crime, I cannot find a statement from Law Enforcement where they use this word. The term "brutal murder" was used as a headline early in the case, but the police basically said nigh onto nothing other than it was "apparent that it was a murder".

Indirect, but the quote of the detective:

Carter quoted one of the investigating detectives as saying it was “the most brutal murder that he had ever examined.”

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2013/07/interim_pastor_consoles_congre.html

Interestingly, several articles - beginning with the local ones (which DM then quoted, though that was the first one in the thread it quoted the local ones) had it in the headline before I believe the pastor made his statement, so it'd seem like it MUST have been stated somewhere for local media to say it and then the pastor to have such a specific quote too.

It's not that the community is OK with the silence. It is that most people believe that LE knows who killed Karen, or at least who was involved in her murder, and that they are still trying to build the case. It can take LE years, in some instances, before they are able to arrest the guilty person or persons involved in a murder case.
The Homewood Police Dept. has not forgotten Karen, nor has the community. It is still being discussed by those in the area because I've been involved in some of those conversations.

I do believe this case will be solved.

That makes me feel better. We have family coming in from Homewood for Thanksgiving. If I get a chance I am going to ask them about it and what they think. I am in Louisiana, so obviously not local and can't hear the chatter. Glad my perception was wrong.

Wow! Moving to Germany?

http://www.abc3340.com/story/24218516/minister-questioned-in-wifes-death-plans-move-to-germany

Is it common for someone actively pursuing a loved one's killer to move so far away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Well, we have an unsolved murder here in San Bernardino county (10-23-2000--our local gun dealer was found murdered in his gun shop) and his wife moved to Germany. Not sure how long after the murder. She was questioned and took a LD test. Still unsolved!

All I can say is this CERTAINLY is an INTERESTING development....

Wow! Moving to Germany?

http://www.abc3340.com/story/24218516/minister-questioned-in-wifes-death-plans-move-to-germany

Is it common for someone actively pursuing a loved one's killer to move so far away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Interesting... No doubt...

And in the above link...:

"ABC 33/40 spoke with Richard Shahan. He was not willing to talk with us about the mission trip - saying he wants to remain private."

since when do missionaries wish to remain private about their mission work... When, by definition, missions are a means to spread the word!?!? :what:

And... He is not so private as to not wish to publicly ask for funds for his mission trip!

:banghead:

Pfffft. This guy. I wonder what politics went into the non-solving of this case.

He says he will be developing Bible curriculum for Russian speaking children, preparing programs, and leading training workshops for teachers and parents.
The above quote from T4Tide's link sparked a thought about the translator we've previously discussed.. And her likely being a part of this mission..??.. IDK ..just wondering aloud..

**Please forgive the limitations that come w/my posting via mobile ATM**

Do we know if Karen accompanied her husband on his two Church trips to Kazahktan in the last year and if she would have been going with him this year as well?

The May 2013 church newsletter talks about it and about welcoming a visitor to the church on May 22, the person with whom he is doing some translating and other work with.

http://fbcbirmingham.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/MAY-NEWSLETTER.pdf

Maybe Hobby Lobby gives people time-off for ministerial trips?
Well, at least now he will be able to have a friend there in Frankfurt. She will be able to do more 'translating' for him perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73