Tunnel vision, why was "Amy" overlooked?

Junebug99

Reaction score
Tunnel vision, it happens a lot. Amy a 14 yo who not only lived near the Ramsey's she attended the same dance studio, was attacked in her home. The perp laid in wait for several hours, sexually assaulted her and was interrupted by the girls mother. The girl was immature for her age, the rumors that it was her boyfriend are not substantiated, nor were the rumors that her mother brought him in. According to the parents she was an immature 14, i can relate because my dd is like that. Her father recognized the similarity but the BPD was not interested. The crime was different because he was caught, plain and simple.

Interesting link regarding tunnel vision.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/docs/TunnelVision_WEB.pdf

Regarding Amy

http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682445/Acquaintance Intruder Theories

If it was a pedo thing I doubt it was the same perp cause pedos have like a certain range they like and 6 years old and 14 yrs seems too far apart

Not always true. Plus if she was immature, she may have been under developed. My dd's bff is 14 but looks much younger. When I was fourteen I looked about 8, tiny, and no *advertiser censored*, she was dancer, they tend to be on the smaller side. There is example after example of serial rapists and killers victims not having the same mo. That reason alone doesn't warrant not investigating this case, especially if you take in account all the other evidence.

Tunnel vision, it happens a lot. Amy a 14 yo who not only lived near the Ramsey's she attended the same dance studio, was attacked in her home. The perp laid in wait for several hours, sexually assaulted her and was interrupted by the girls mother. The girl was immature for her age, the rumors that it was her boyfriend are not substantiated, nor were the rumors that her mother brought him in. According to the parents she was an immature 14, i can relate because my dd is like that. Her father recognized the similarity but the BPD was not interested. The crime was different because he was caught, plain and simple.

Interesting link regarding tunnel vision.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/docs/TunnelVision_WEB.pdf

Regarding Amy

http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682445/Acquaintance Intruder Theories

I have no comment on Amy; I don’t see any connection between that crime and this (jbr) one.

However, the article that you linked to, “The Problem of Tunnel Vision in Criminal Justice” is important: <quote> Tunnel vision is a well-recognized phenomenon in the criminal justice system. Most of the official inquiries into specific wrongful convictions have noted the role that tunnel vision played in those individual cases of injustice. For example, former Illinois Governor George Ryan’s Commission on Capital Punishment, the Innocence Commission for Virginia, and official Canadian governmental inquiries, among others, have all identified tunnel vision as a significant problem in the cases in which an innocent person was wrongly convicted. <unquote>

You might find this other article (link below) interesting, “Hard Hearts and Hardened Positions.” It addresses the question of why investigators have persisted in accusing the Ramseys.

<quote> ...[c]lues to this question can be found in Richards J. Heuer’s chapter on “Why Can't We See What Is There To Be Seen?” in his book Psychology of Intelligence Analysis. Heuer enumerates what he calls “a process of inference in which people construct their own version of reality on the basis of information provided through the five senses.” Heuer articulated the components of this process as follows:

1) We tend to perceive what we expect to perceive.
2) Mind-sets tend to be quick to form but resistant to change.
3) New information is assimilated to existing images.
4) Initial exposure to blurred or ambiguous stimuli interferes with accurate perception even after more and better information becomes available. (Heuer, chapter 2)

These categories serve as useful signposts to highlight the mistaken assumptions and tangents taken by the investigators and for that matter, other commentators and interested parties who looked into the JonBenet Ramsey murder. Each of these categories will be amplified later in the paper. <unquote>

Complete article here: http://tinyurl.com/k4mzsxo

AK

Not always true. Plus if she was immature, she may have been under developed. My dd's bff is 14 but looks much younger. When I was fourteen I looked about 8, tiny, and no *advertiser censored*, she was dancer, they tend to be on the smaller side.

Amy would have to be seriously underdeveloped to look like a six years old while being fourteen. The pedos who prefer prepubertal children usually do not attack the ones who already hit the puberty.

And if the perp spend hours in her bedroom, he could easy learn, that Amy was not the preschooler.

The crimes are unrelated. Even IF it was IDI, JBR's murder was personal (and, if IDI, it was meant to cause as much emotional harm to the Rams as possible). Amy's attacker was purely a predator.

IMO these attacks are unrelated. Amy's attacker was just a sicko predator. Thank goodness her mom woke up. I think I speak for most of us here, in that, we want justice for JBR. I don't see how comparing this crime will help the JBR case. It's apples and oranges, imo.

I agree that throwing this crime in the mix really muddies up the already filthy dirty muddy water that this case is. It's a strawman that has no evidentiary relevance to JBR's murder.

I was just wondering if "Amy's" attacker was ever caught?
Was there any DNA evidence found?

He was never caught and no DNA was found, IIRC. I think maybe some cig butts were found?

Which is strange, because why didn't they pull DNA off of used cigarette butts?? I wonder if the butts were even related. JMO

If it was a pedo thing I doubt it was the same perp cause pedos have like a certain range they like and 6 years old and 14 yrs seems too far apart
Pedophilia doesn't seem to apply to the JBR case, but I don't think it applies to the Amy case either. (To clarify: A "run of the mill" pedophile wouldn't fulfill his desires in the manner that these crimes were committed.)

Do we have enough information about either of these cases to determine the same perp is responsible for both? No, BUT there is certainly enough information available to determine the possibility exists & it should have been/should be investigated.

I think that the Amy case is overlooked in regards to the Ramsey case because it is unrelated. The Ramsey murder was personal--very personal--as evidenced by the three page ransom note that contained information only someone with some relation or knowledge of JR would know.

The Amy case seems like some perv looking to satisfy an urge.

Also, what evidence was gathered in Amy case?

There are several different kinds of molester. I was molested at the age of 8, the same man (a family friend) also molested my sister who was 14, I hadn't even started puberty, my sister had all ready went through puberty. You can't say they aren't related, because we just don't know. Her own father was appalled by bpd's lack of concern. What other than the age difference makes this so far fetched? Man lies in wait, 2 miles from where JBR lived, assaults his victim digitally and orally, which some suspect was done to JBR. One argument [modsnip] is he never struck again, maybe he did?

Regarding various sexual predators.

http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/CPSG-6.htm

I think that the Amy case is overlooked in regards to the Ramsey case because it is unrelated. The Ramsey murder was personal--very personal--as evidenced by the three page ransom note that contained information only someone with some relation or knowledge of JR would know.

The Amy case seems like some perv looking to satisfy an urge.

Also, what evidence was gathered in Amy case?

None, the bpd didn't bother.

Pedophilia doesn't seem to apply to the JBR case, but I don't think it applies to the Amy case either. (To clarify: A "run of the mill" pedophile wouldn't fulfill his desires in the manner that these crimes were committed.)

This post took me down the research rabbit hole trying to figure out more about types of sex offenders. The document linked below gives a good overview of the 7 FBI subtypes of sex abusers: regressed, morally indiscriminate, sexually indiscriminate, inadequate, seductive, fixated, and sadistic. See page 4 for an informational chart.
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/reports/2004_02_27_JohnJay/LitReview/1_4_JJ_TypologiesOf.pdf

This chart does not include the age subsets for chronophiles (age-based sexual attraction). From what I've read, these subtype preferences can overlap.

-Nepiophilia is attraction infants and toddlers (age 0-3). It is a subset of pedophilia.
-Pedophilia is attraction to children who have not reached puberty (0-12) It is a mental illness.
-Hebephilia is attraction to children who are in the midst of puberty (12-15) It is considered a mental illness depending on circumstances.
-Ephebophilia is attraction to teenagers in late-puberty (15-19).
-Teleiophilia is attraction to adults, and it is the word for a normal person who is attracted to other adults close to their age.
-Gerontophilia is the attraction to elderly people. It is considered a fetishistic impulse.

(When researching, I found that there are many other ways to categorize sex offenders of children... stranger vs non stranger, violent vs nonviolent, etc.)

IF an IDI in the JBR case, then that person would be considered a sadistic offender. I don't remember much about the Amy case, but it's likely that term would apply in her situation as well. There is a crossover category of chronophiles which has been proposed called hebepedophilia for offenders with attraction to both pre and post pubescent children. Not sure if any category above can be considered run-of-the-mill offenders...they all seem sick & demented to me.

This post took me down the research rabbit hole trying to figure out more about types of sex offenders. The document linked below gives a good overview of the 7 FBI subtypes of sex abusers: regressed, morally indiscriminate, sexually indiscriminate, inadequate, seductive, fixated, and sadistic. See page 4 for an informational chart.
http://www.bishop-accountability.org/reports/2004_02_27_JohnJay/LitReview/1_4_JJ_TypologiesOf.pdf

This chart does not include the age subsets for chronophiles (age-based sexual attraction). From what I've read, these subtype preferences can overlap.

-Nepiophilia is attraction infants and toddlers (age 0-3). It is a subset of pedophilia.
-Pedophilia is attraction to children who have not reached puberty (0-12) It is a mental illness.
-Hebephilia is attraction to children who are in the midst of puberty (12-15) It is considered a mental illness depending on circumstances.
-Ephebophilia is attraction to teenagers in late-puberty (15-19).
-Teleiophilia is attraction to adults, and it is the word for a normal person who is attracted to other adults close to their age.
-Gerontophilia is the attraction to elderly people. It is considered a fetishistic impulse.

(When researching, I found that there are many other ways to categorize sex offenders of children... stranger vs non stranger, violent vs nonviolent, etc.)
:goodpost:

Thanks for sharing your research & the link.

IF an IDI in the JBR case, then that person would be considered a sadistic offender.
I absolutely agree..

I don't remember much about the Amy case, but it's likely that term would apply in her situation as well.
Robert Whitson investigated the "Amy" case, years after her assault. He was also the on-call detective supervisor 12.26.96. His book, INJUSTICE, documents a substantial amount of information regarding these cases (+ others), and provides much insight into the psychology of the criminal mind, specifically psychopathology & sadism.

There is a crossover category of chronophiles which has been proposed called hebepedophilia for offenders with attraction to both pre and post pubescent children. Not sure if any category above can be considered run-of-the-mill offenders...they all seem sick & demented to me.
Good point. So true...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back