Match! TX - Houston, WhtFem UP4601, 15-20, Red Hair & Freckles, Jul'82 - Michelle Garvey

Carl, your recon looks so much like her! Incredible job!

Holy cow Carl, you nailed that reconstruction! The drawing doesn't even look close but your recon is remarkable.

According to Todd Matthews; there will be more this next week -
Lot's of stuff this week - some still pending release!
. Would be nice if "orange socks" is one of them.

He also says that the brother of Michelle Garvey initiated her case entry into NamUs less than 1 year ago.

Her NamUs profile is still available via google cache if anyone wants to see or save it

Holy cow Carl, you nailed that reconstruction! The drawing doesn't even look close but your recon is remarkable.

I agree! Great job Carl

I cannot believe Michelle wasn't really listed anywhere. Heck, I lived in New London for a few years and didn't know her case (And CT is small enough that if cases are listed, especially older cases, I am at least a little familiar with them.)

New London is on I-95 AND across the river from (what was then an even larger) naval base in Groton. It is (and was even more so then) the main subase (don't ask me why they spell it that way, but they do) in the US. New London also is home to the US Coast Guard Academy.

I wonder if anyone went AWOL from the subase or the Coast Guard Base OR if she may have run off with a Coastie cadet.

I cannot believe Michelle wasn't really listed anywhere. Heck, I lived in New London for a few years and didn't know her case (And CT is small enough that if cases are listed, especially older cases, I am at least a little familiar with them.)

New London is on I-95 AND across the river from (what was then an even larger) naval base in Groton. It is (and was even more so then) the main subase (don't ask me why they spell it that way, but they do) in the US. New London also is home to the US Coast Guard Academy.

I wonder if anyone went AWOL from the subase or the Coast Guard Base OR if she may have run off with a Coastie cadet.

I asked Todd if her profile has been online since it was entered; we'll see if he answers me

I think Michelle's DNA was added just a couple of weeks ago, if I remember correctly it says she was added to namus February 2013, I don't doubt this, not all cases that are added to namus are immediately available to the public. Plus, I also spoke to Dr. D about PMs in November, mid-November to be exact and we discussed what a let down it was that there hadn't been a match after the UIDs DNA sample came back with no hits...Dr. D shares what she can( I am so thankful that she trusts me enough to give me the information she does, and I respect her by being quiet about some things until I know it's okay to talk about them) she told me she had a young girl in mind, and was contacting family to get a DNA sample- she said she was pretty sure it was her but couldn't tell me her name (she knows I share information on the thread, she couldn't risk giving out her name and someone else contacting family before she could) but I'm pretty sure Dr. D knew she had a match as soon as miss Garvey was added to namus, I also showed her Carl's recon, and she was amazed!

This is such a sad story, but after many long years Michelle can finally rest.

Nice to see some of these older cases being solved...

Wow. Want to get annoyed at a police department? Read this article! http://www.theday.com/article/20140111/NWS01/301119948

"New London police Deputy Chief Peter Reichard said Garvey is in the department's system but computer files only go to 1987. All old files are housed off site and not immediately available, he said. New London police were not involved in contacting the family, he said."

Wow. Want to get annoyed at a police department? Read this article! http://www.theday.com/article/20140111/NWS01/301119948

"New London police Deputy Chief Peter Reichard said Garvey is in the department's system but computer files only go to 1987. All old files are housed off site and not immediately available, he said. New London police were not involved in contacting the family, he said."

No doubt where a lot of our MP's are too

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/teen-slain-82-identified-missing-conn-girl-21492168

Finally answers for her family. She was found only one month after leaving her home in CT in 1982, but sadly not identified till recently.

From the information in the article, I am unclear if she is included in the list of victims found in the ''Killing Field'' outside of Houston.

This should be moved or included in a thread of identified remains in the Texas killing field thread. It is big news when a set of remains are identified contained on that thread.

RIP Michelle. Hard to believe her family was missing her longer than I have even been alive! I have family who grew up in that area. I just texted to see if they know about this story at all...

this is also a great reminder when searching that MPs can end up anywhere. At just 14, Michelle made it from southeastern CT to Houston in 30 days. Crazy.

Glad the Garveys finally have answers. Hopefully justice comes more swiftly.

Hi! I am brand new to Websleuths, and really excited to be here among people who share the same passion that I do.

I just experienced my first success at solving a missing persons case...something that I imagine happens here among avid researchers quite a bit. Using NamUs' Missing and Unidentified Databases I was able to solve a 30 year old cold-case in just 10 minutes. NamUs rocks!

I'm somewhat disillusioned, though. I finally did something in this life that matters. I gave a voice to someone who could not speak...to a young girl whose voice had been silenced 30 years ago. Who wouldn't feel good about that? I am an individual with Autism and I rarely have a voice of my own. I have been silently crying out for one for a long time. Not just for myself but for many other people here in my town who are disabled or vulnerable and whose voices are also being quelled. I am disillusioned because I am in a trap from which I cannot escape, and I was desperately hoping that in giving someone else a voice I/we could be given one as well.

So I was greatly disheartened when the news story about this case broke and the facts were both incorrect and incomplete. This was not a case that had to wait 30 years for advancements in DNA to solve. At the time that I contacted the Texas M.E. to identify their Jane Doe #4601 as Michelle Garvey, Connecticut didn't even have a DNA sample for Texas to compare against. The M.E. confirmed that over the phone. I identified this young girl the old-fashioned way: by visually comparing two 1982 photographs. It was simple. Pretty much anybody could view the M.E.'s photograph of Jane Doe #4601, compare that to Michelle Garvey's known photo, and determine that they were the same girl.

Rest in Peace, sweet Michelle.
You are in your family's arms now.

Talked to someone who grew up near Michelle. Apparently the area was plastered with missing posters for ages afterwards. This girl was sought even before her body was found. So why did it take 25 years?

Hi! I am brand new to Websleuths, and really excited to be here among people who share the same passion that I do.

I just experienced my first success at solving a missing persons case...something that I imagine happens here among avid researchers quite a bit. Using NamUs' Missing and Unidentified Databases I was able to solve a 30 year old cold-case in just 10 minutes. NamUs rocks!

I'm somewhat disillusioned, though. I finally did something in this life that matters. I gave a voice to someone who could not speak...to a young girl whose voice had been silenced 30 years ago. Who wouldn't feel good about that? I am an individual with Autism and I rarely have a voice of my own. I have been silently crying out for one for a long time. Not just for myself but for many other people here in my town who are disabled or vulnerable and whose voices are also being quelled. I am disillusioned because I am in a trap from which I cannot escape, and I was desperately hoping that in giving someone else a voice I/we could be given one as well.

So I was greatly disheartened when the news story about this case broke and the facts were both incorrect and incomplete. This was not a case that had to wait 30 years for advancements in DNA to solve. At the time that I contacted the Texas M.E. to identify their Jane Doe #4601 as Michelle Garvey, Connecticut didn't even have a DNA sample for Texas to compare against. The M.E. confirmed that over the phone. I identified this young girl the old-fashioned way: by visually comparing two 1982 photographs. It was simple. Pretty much anybody could view the M.E.'s photograph of Jane Doe #4601, compare that to Michelle Garvey's known photo, and determine that they were the same girl.

Welcome pokeypuppy67. Glad to have you along for the ride!

:ufo:

Even if Connecticut had Michelle's DNA available, texas didn't have the DNA in namus until just a few months ago, she was buried and then exhumed (I believe in 2011) for a DNA sample. However had Michelle been listed in namus a long time ago, I'm sure the exhumation would have happened a lot sooner than 2011(because it is very obvious in comparing the postmortem photo to the MP photo that it is indeed the same person) I am curious as to why she wasn't on namus or any mp site for that matter, it makes total sense that someone from the same area would recognize her postmortem photo as a girl who went missing over 30 years ago. But how did you do it?!! I never once found anything on Michelle Garvey. Amazing!!

Welcome pokypuppy67, glad to finally speak to the person that sent in the match!! I was wondering how Dr. D came across this match, you did an excellent job!!! You're going to love it here :)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Can you tell us more of what happened? How long ago did you call the ME?
From what we're able to see on this google cache of her NamUs profile; it was entered 2/16/2013. It's believed that her profile was not put online until recently.

See post #99; Houston Mom asked if her profile was really online in February. Post #100; Carl said he periodically queries the entire MP database to pick up any case files that get missed in his daily query because they were created months ago but remained unpublished. He did the entire data set a couple of weeks ago and didn't pick up her file.

Look at my post #103; which I will also quote below. I'm FB friends with someone from NamUs; he said her brother initiated her entry in NamUs. I asked him if her profile was offline to get clarification because of Carl's post; he has not answered me.

If you look at this article Police: Body found in 1982 in Texas is missing New London teen New London police Deputy Chief Peter Reichard said Garvey is in the department's system but computer files only go to 1987. All old files are housed off site and not immediately available, he said. It sounds like her case was not listed on any site except NamUs when her brother initiated it; otherwise she would have been ID'd a long time ago :(

Thankful her brother spoke up!

According to Todd Matthews; there will be more this next week - . Would be nice if "orange socks" is one of them.
Lot's of stuff this week - some still pending release!
He also says that the brother of Michelle Garvey initiated her case entry into NamUs less than 1 year ago.

Her NamUs profile is still available via google cache if anyone wants to see or save it

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back