FL - Dawn Brancheau, Female Trainer Killed at Shamu Stadium

Thank you, daisy. I did read about the decline of Flipper after the TV series ended. The trainer blamed it on boredom, saying Flipper didn't adjust to doing simple circus tricks after the years of complex stunts for the TV show.

This broke my heart. I grew up in South Florida and watched the show religiously. The boy who played the older brother (Luke Halpin) attended the same elementary school as I and I knew some of his friends.

But I never heard what happened to the dolphin until now.

Nova, I am just now finishing up Ric O' Barry's book about his years of training the "Flipper" dolphins, and then subsequently becoming an anti-captivity activist. There were about 6 or so dolphins who portrayed Flipper in the series.......all of them female, by the way. Ric heart-breakingly writes about one of them who did indeed commit suicide as she was so unhappy and lost her will to live. The more I learn about cetaceans, the more I want to know. What amazing animals! What a horrific crime to keep these sensitive, intelligent, and sentient beings held captive, to perform for the masses and line the pockets of corporations like SeaWorld and Loro Parque!

Sea World knows that the trainers have a genuine love for their charges, and have long dreamed about working with marine mammals. The corporation takes full advantage of this...........paying the employees craptastic wages, exploiting their desire to work with the animals, and raking in gazillions of dollars to line their own and their shareholders' pockets.....it really is sickening to me! The employees buy into the smoke n' mirrors, for a while at least........until reality smacks them upside the head, as shown by the ex-trainers' tales in Blackfish and the Death at Sea World book. Extensive research has proven to me that this is definitely no smear campaign led by disgruntled ex workers.

I believe another reason wages are not higher is because, in Death at Sea World, it is stated that trainers are hired with no real educational background in marine mammals.........all it takes is a high school diploma, an aptitude for swimming and athleticism, coupled with a desire to be in "show business" and flash a winning smile to the masses, and you too can be working with the orcas!
I volunteer at my local zoo as a zookeeper, and they require at least a Bachelor's degree in Zoology, Animal Science or Biology to be employed as a zookeeper. While there are definite risks in this position, I cannot fathom it being more potentially risky than getting in the water with a 12,000 pound orca..........I honestly believe that Sea World takes full advantage of not only their marine mammals, but also their trainers!

Nova, I am just now finishing up Ric O' Barry's book about his years of training the "Flipper" dolphins, and then subsequently becoming an anti-captivity activist. There were about 6 or so dolphins who portrayed Flipper in the series.......all of them female, by the way. Ric heart-breakingly writes about one of them who did indeed commit suicide as she was so unhappy and lost her will to live. The more I learn about cetaceans, the more I want to know. What amazing animals! What a horrific crime to keep these sensitive, intelligent, and sentient beings held captive, to perform for the masses and line the pockets of corporations like SeaWorld and Loro Parque!

Based on the article I read, the "Flipper" who committed suicide was the "main" Flipper, who had done most of the stunts and close-ups. You can let me know if that is true, based on the book you are reading.

I was watching a commercial for the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas and they offer dolphin shows and "swim with the dolphins" activities. And I got to thinking about our local zoo, called "The Living Desert". (I live in Palm Springs, in the Southern California desert.)

The zoo features desert animals from around the world and most predators are kept in captivity. But in their live show, they use our local desert hawks WITHOUT EVER CAPTURING OR CONFINING THEM! The hawks learn when the shows are held, swoop down from the surrounding mountains in response to a visual signal, and do tricks for easy treats.

They say sometimes a hawk will disappear for a few months and then return and resume doing shows as if there had been no interruption. They don't always know why s/he left or where s/he went.

Surely dolphins are smart enough to do the same! If instead of tanks, they had open-to-the-sea pools, they would quickly learn that free fish were to be had for jumping through a hoop, etc. Some would no doubt disappear at times for mating, etc., but mothers with young might well learn to appreciate the easy meals.

It wouldn't be the Disney-fied Shamu show, but it might be even more interesting. (When a hawk flies down from a distant mountain and lands on a trainer's arm, it is really something!)

I believe another reason wages are not higher is because, in Death at Sea World, it is stated that trainers are hired with no real educational background in marine mammals.........all it takes is a high school diploma, an aptitude for swimming and athleticism, coupled with a desire to be in "show business" and flash a winning smile to the masses, and you too can be working with the orcas!
I volunteer at my local zoo as a zookeeper, and they require at least a Bachelor's degree in Zoology, Animal Science or Biology to be employed as a zookeeper. While there are definite risks in this position, I cannot fathom it being more potentially risky than getting in the water with a 12,000 pound orca..........I honestly believe that Sea World takes full advantage of not only their marine mammals, but also their trainers!

Seaworld does not require a degree to be in the animal training program but it certainly is desired and I know lots of people who work or have worked at Seaworld in Orlando and they ALL have at least a Bachelor's degree and are dive and CPR certified. Even the guy who cleans the tanks and helps mix the foods. There are so many people trying to get jobs there everyday that there is no shortage of degreed personnel. Due to my work I've been associated with a lot of folks there. Two people I know that are employed there right now were in the top of their classes and one is working on her masters. I've been involved as a consultant there and I will tell you that everyone I met and worked with was extremely knowledgeable and very animal oriented. They've spared no costs on their systems, animal care nor their food sources. Their animal rescue division has been involved with tens of thousands of animals including many endangered sea turtles and manatees. Where's the focus on that? I've seen that team in action and they've been responsible for some pretty heroic efforts to save animals and alleviate their suffering. Was there any mention of that in the film? There's good and bad everywhere.

The animal rescue efforts have been mentioned many times, kudos to them on that but to keep Orcas captive and continue breeding is a tragedy.

Seaworld does not require a degree to be in the animal training program but it certainly is desired and I know lots of people who work or have worked at Seaworld in Orlando and they ALL have at least a Bachelor's degree and are dive and CPR certified. Even the guy who cleans the tanks and helps mix the foods. There are so many people trying to get jobs there everyday that there is no shortage of degreed personnel. Due to my work I've been associated with a lot of folks there. Two people I know that are employed there right now were in the top of their classes and one is working on her masters. I've been involved as a consultant there and I will tell you that everyone I met and worked with was extremely knowledgeable and very animal oriented. They've spared no costs on their systems, animal care nor their food sources. Their animal rescue division has been involved with tens of thousands of animals including many endangered sea turtles and manatees. Where's the focus on that? I've seen that team in action and they've been responsible for some pretty heroic efforts to save animals and alleviate their suffering. Was there any mention of that in the film? There's good and bad everywhere.

I don't believe the film ever claimed Sea World had never done any good for an individual animal.

The point of BLACKFISH is the inherent inhumanity of caging (and breeding for caging) migratory animals in small tanks, and in splitting families for corporate purposes when orcas have such a strong (and little understood) sense of family identity.

The image put forward by Sea World is of happy, cuddly sea mammals performing for fun. The reality is more or less the opposite. (And, yes, I too have a relative who worked there and another who attended their summer program.)

BBM - SeaWorld was asked many times to participate in the making of Blackfish so they could give their side. SeaWorld refused. The makers of Blackfish and The Cove have now challenged SeaWorld to a public debate. I would love to hear SeaWorld try to defend themselves, especially considering the list of topics that would be covered in a debate (see link).

https://www.thedodo.com/exclusive-blackfish-the-cove-c-399531056.html?xrs=RebelMouse_tw

Do your "extremely knowledgeable and animal oriented" friends support the abuse listed in the link above?

Started reading the book Death at Seaworld...those lovely orcas being mistreated is just a crime. Everyone should read that book. Haunting.

Tillekum is being mistreated by humans and abused by the female orcas. Execs at SW should be ashamed.

It looks like SeaWorld trainers are continuing to ride orcas while waiting for OSHA's final ruling. A trainer is surfing on the back of Orkid (video below) in a tank so small Orkid can barely move. Orkid is the orca in Blackfish that yanked the trainer off the ledge by the foot then fractured her arm.

Their stupidity and cruelty are boundless.

Orkid's rap sheet and the blackfish segment on Orkid are also at the link.

http://timzimmermann.com/2014/01/31/seaworld-waterwork-desensitization-training-new-video/

'Welcome to the SeaWorld Machine' is a video created by a SeaWorld visitor. The song is so fitting, 'Welcome to the Machine'. It's heartbreaking to see animals treated this way...swimming in circles in concrete tanks and begging for food. They never get a break from those endless circles, until they die. The polar bear...sad, sad, sad.

http://timzimmermann.com/2014/01/30/welcome-to-the-seaworld-machine/

I don't really care how many good works these places do. If they want to do good, stop keeping these animals in captivity. They'd rather be in the open sea with their families, and we need to respect their right to do so.

I don't really care how many good works these places do. If they want to do good, stop keeping these animals in captivity. They'd rather be in the open sea with their families, and we need to respect their right to do so.

I am hoping for one day humans will advanced far enough that there will be no need to be driven to entrap, display, mame and kill animals.

But until the 'money machine' stops this will not stop.

The only power we have is to communicate what is happening and to not spend one dime at Sea World or other places that do this to animals.

Change also starts with our children. Lets teach them compassion and awareness towards our fellow critters.

Maybe someday humans will evlove far enough to coeixist with animals and not destroy them.

I am hoping for one day humans will advanced far enough that there will be no need to be driven to entrap, display, mame and kill animals.

But until the 'money machine' stops this will not stop.

The only power we have is to communicate what is happening and to not spend one dime at Sea World or other places that do this to animals.

Change also starts with our children. Lets teach them compassion and awareness towards our fellow critters.

Maybe someday humans will evlove far enough to coeixist with animals and not destroy them.

I won't live to see that day, I'm afraid, but I do hope it happens nevertheless.

Thank you for mentioning this book, I'm going to read it. I know I can't ever watch "Blackfish" because I will be so upset.

You know what's crazy to me? Major metropolitan zoos were forced to tailor the exhibits to provide the most natural environment for the animals but these marine parks were never forced to.

As an example, I remember when I was a kid going to the Detroit Zoo and seeing a "monkey show" with monkeys riding tricycles, dressed up, doing tricks. I cringe now thinking about it. The Girl Scouts took us to the circus back then too.

Today, I wouldn't darken the door of any circus using animals at all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back