GUILTY IL - Dora Betancourt, 11, stabbed to death, Mundelein, 21 Jan 2014

Softail

Reaction score
OMG! This is horrendous! :notgood: :eek:

Coroner: Girl, 11, allegedly killed by girl, 14, stabbed 40 times

An 11-year-old girl allegedly killed by a 14-year-old girl in a Mundelein home suffered nearly 40 knife wounds, including three slashes across her face, officials said today.

An autopsy found about 30 stab wounds across the girl's neck, chest and arms, according to Lake County Coroner Thomas Rudd said. The girl was sliced three times across the face and had defensive wounds on her left and right hands, as well as bruises on her chest, Rudd said.

Authorities have declined to name the victim or the suspect or provide the relationship between the two, but a source close to the case said the girls were relatives.

The 14-year-old girl has been charged as a juvenile with first-degree murder and was scheduled to appear at the Depke Juvenile Center in Vernon Hills this afternoon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...girl-11-in-mundelein-20140122,0,1469165.story

14-year-old charged in murder of 11-year-old half-sister, stabbed 30 times

http://newssun.suntimes.com/2510963...11-year-old-half-sister-stabbed-30-times.html

There were another four defensive wounds to the palm of her left hand and a single defensive wound to the palm of her right hand, Rudd said. The girl had “bruises and punctate wounds” on the right part of her chest, indicating that the tip of the knife was pushed on it, but did not enter the skin, he said.

next article

Authorities say Mundelein girl stabbed, slashed more than 30 times; teenage relative charged with murder

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140122/news/701229912/

A small kitchen knife believed to be the murder weapon was recovered in the room, police said. There were signs of a struggle.

Girl, 11, killed by sister, 14: 'With each stab wound she said she was not thankful'

Angry at her younger sister, a 14-year-old girl grabbed a kitchen knife and barged into the 11-year-old girl's bedroom and stabbed her repeatedly, yelling each time that she did not appreciate all that the older sister had done for her, prosecutors said today during a court hearing.

"She indicated she was mad from the night before," said Asst. State's Atty. Claudia Kasten during a detention hearing for the 14-year-old, charged as a juvenile with first degree murder. "She went downstairs and got a kitchen knife . .With each stab wound she said she was not thankful for what she (the older sister) had done."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...girl-11-in-mundelein-20140122,0,1469165.story

Much more at link. That poor mother..... :cry:

Oh my heavens! I don't even know what to say! I guess more info will come out as time passes. Prayers for all involved.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9403119

This reminds me so much of the Leila Fowler murder. Yesterday morning, an unidentified 14yo girl stabbed her 11yo half-sister to death in Mundelein, IL. The 14yo called 911 & made up a story about a Hispanic male intruder. LE quickly caught on & arrested the 14yo. She was charged today with 1st degree murder as a juvenile, though the courts may change her to adult status.
The 14yo stabbed her sister 40 times, through her lung, nicking her carotid & jugular. She admitted to beginning the stabbing assault when the 11yo was still asleep. The little girl awoke & a struggle ensued. The 11yo's body also displayed multiple defensive wounds & bruising.
So, so horrific. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh goodness- that is just awful! It just baffles me how kids can be so messed up.

I'm very concerned here. According to the article, which I am having trouble linking on my phone, but it is the one from nbc Chicago, the 14 year old said she was angry at the 11 year old since she didn't appreciate the fact she had cooked dinner 6 times that week.

Both girls live at home with their mother. Why wasn't the mother cooking dinner? Where was she when the 14 year old set her alarm clock earlier than normal to go to the kitchen and get a knife? The 11 year old was still asleep but woke up and starting fighting back. 40 stabs later- the 14 year old calls 911 with a story of an intruder. Where is mom???

LE arrives 4 minutes after phone call and the 14 year old answers the door. Again, where is the mother in this picture. In my opinion, that 14 year girl was the sole caregiver here and couldn't handle it any more. This does not any way excuse her actions. But, I think it gives a lot of insight about how a half sister could do this type of crime. She seems to have a lot of pent up anger and resentment.

I'm going to guess that the mother was at work already, as the attack happened somewhere around 8:00/8:05am, according to police. (14yo woke up at 7:50, went & got the knife 10-15 minutes later, went & attacked sleeping sister.)

The two girls both attended a private Lutheran school that's one town over. It doesn't have bus service, so I'm not sure how the kids were supposed to get themselves to school yesterday? Perhaps it was an institute day for them? (The school is St. John Lutheran School in Libertyville, IL, in case anyone else wants to research it. It's mentioned in one of the MSM articles, though I've read so many, I don't remember which one.)

I knew kids who went to St. John & the tuition is a pretty penny. And, with no bus service, parents have to transport their kids there & home, or arrange for a nanny or relative to transport the kids. The school is attached to a church & I know there are religious components required for going there, as well, such as attending the church & participating in church functions. One of the MSM articles mentioned that the girls' family had been attending church there for years.

Further, it's a small school, so they combine some of the grade levels into the same classroom. When the kids I knew attended (they moved away last year), some classrooms held three grades, such as 6th/7th/8th combined classroom. (The school has preschool & K-8.) It's an everyone knows everyone type of school, which makes me worry so much for the classmates & teachers there. :( This is going to have a monumental psychological impact on them.

I'm just mind boggled by this crime. 40 stab wounds with a filet knife...trying to cover up the crime...premeditation...WHAT was going on with that 14yo to make her that full of rage? :(

I'm very concerned here. According to the article, which I am having trouble linking on my phone, but it is the one from nbc Chicago, the 14 year old said she was angry at the 11 year old since she didn't appreciate the fact she had cooked dinner 6 times that week.

Both girls live at home with their mother. Why wasn't the mother cooking dinner? Where was she when the 14 year old set her alarm clock earlier than normal to go to the kitchen and get a knife? The 11 year old was still asleep but woke up and starting fighting back. 40 stabs later- the 14 year old calls 911 with a story of an intruder. Where is mom???

LE arrives 4 minutes after phone call and the 14 year old answers the door. Again, where is the mother in this picture. In my opinion, that 14 year girl was the sole caregiver here and couldn't handle it any more. This does not any way excuse her actions. But, I think it gives a lot of insight about how a half sister could do this type of crime. She seems to have a lot of pent up anger and resentment.

Maybe her mother works?
I have lots of single parents around me that work lots of hours, it a necessity that older children help out around the house.

Maybe her mother works?
I have lots of single parents around me that work lots of hours, it a necessity that older children help out around the house.

I agree.

The way some of the articles described her in court today, made it seem like she was somewhat emotionless. I'm sure she will have some mental health evaluations. Something seems off with her. This is a crazy rage that she displayed. Then she calmly calls her mother? :waitasec:

She washed off the blood and called their mother, making up a story about waking to her sister's screams and seeing a man straddling the younger girl and stabbing her, Kasten said. Her mother told her to call police, and the girl was waiting at the door when officers arrived around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Kasten said.

As Kasten spoke, the older girl's mother broke down and cried in the courtroom. She was sitting next to the 14-year-old at a large conference table but neither of them looked at each other.

The girl, dressed in a gray jail shirt, looked straight ahead without emotion during much of the hearing. But when the prosecutor started detailing the murder , her face became flushed and her eyes reddened. Judge Val Ceckowski said there would be a counselor or someone for her to talk to.

Prosecutors said the suspect first told police that a Hispanic man broke into the home, attacked the younger girl and ran off. During questioning, the 14-year-old allegedly confessed to the crime, saying she woke up Tuesday and waited up to 15 minutes before going downstairs, grabbing a knife and attacking the victim.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-01-22-19-11-43

The victim and the suspect attended St. John's Lutheran School in Libertyville.

Did anyone else read the part about how the 14yo allegedly set her alarm for earlier than usual? It appears that she planned to get up early to stab her sister. And, what, leave enough time to get ready for school? *smack head*

This is a horrific crime and the degree of rage here is off the charts.

Incomprehensible. I hope nobody crosses her when she gets out at 25, or whatever the maximum age is for a juvenile convicted of murder in Illinois.

As far as the accused appearing 'emotionless', it isn't unreasonable to suggest she may have been medicated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back