Wedding insurance?

If my spouse or soon to be spouse suggested we buy wedding insurance I'd...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_25003475/youre-good-hands-wedding-insurance

You're in good hands with ... wedding insurance
By Michael Melia
Associated Press
Posted: 01/27/2014 12:55:03 PM PST | Updated: 5 days ago

...For parents concerned about a relationship souring before the exchange of vows, Fireman's Fund Insurance offers change-of-heart insurance. It's been available since 2007, but the program administrator says the fraud rate soared in the early years, when policies were bought for couples who were known to be fighting. The coverage now applies only if the bride or groom calls off the wedding more than nine months ahead.

"Coverage does not exist once you hit the altar," says administrator Rob Nuccio of R.V. Nuccio & Associates. "The only ones who were buying it were the ones who knew they would have a claim."...

Uh no.

If they bail, losing all that money is a stupid tax to remind you not to ignore red flags next time.

Uh no.

If they bail, losing all that money is a stupid tax to remind you not to ignore red flags next time.

An excellent point, but it's usually the father of the bride who gets stuck with the bill.

I'm not sure that's the norm anymore.

ETA: Then again, maybe it's the norm in the type of crowd that would purchase that kind of insurance *shrug*

I'm not sure that's the norm anymore.

ETA: Then again, maybe it's the norm in the type of crowd that would purchase that kind of insurance *shrug*

If you're throwing your kid a $100,000 wedding it may make sense to buy it. I wouldn't ever tell them I did though. :giggle:

Wedding insurance that's only applicable if they split nine months before the reception is a HORRIBLE idea.

Here's the thing: I read a statistic once that said something near 60% of divorced women knew in their gut they were making a mistake on their wedding day, but because of a myriad of reasons they went through with it anyways.

I really enjoy the wedding insurance idea. That would be one less reason that you would be compelled to walk down the aisle against your better judgement.

I can understand parents doing this if they are paying for a lavish wedding, planned well in advance.

For two adults getting married, no. People get married for all sorts of reasons other than love. If they have money to throw their own big wedding, and have planned in advance, then they should be old enough to know if someone is going to back out, and old enough to throw the party anyway if that is what it is about for them. If you asked either one about insurance, who knows what answer you would get, unless one of them already signed a prenup, it probably would not be a positive response. Adults should know why they are getting married, and how each of them really feels. However, if the insurance were to cover, let's say the band not making it, or the caterer folding a week before, that is a different concept.

All in all, I would say, just go to a Justice of the Peace or have them come to your place. :crazy:

I can understand parents doing this if they are paying for a lavish wedding, planned well in advance.

For two adults getting married, no. People get married for all sorts of reasons other than love. If they have money to throw their own big wedding, and have planned in advance, then they should be old enough to know if someone is going to back out, and old enough to throw the party anyway if that is what it is about for them. If you asked either one about insurance, who knows what answer you would get, unless one of them already signed a prenup, it probably would not be a positive response. Adults should know why they are getting married, and how each of them really feels. However, if the insurance were to cover, let's say the band not making it, or the caterer folding a week before, that is a different concept.

All in all, I would say, just go to a Justice of the Peace or have them come to your place. :crazy:

I don't think that's what the insurance is for. Let's say church is reserved, hall is reserved etc, and you get in a car accident 2 days before. Aflac.
You get reimbursed for money already spent. I don't think it's about cold feet or backing out etc. Non-refundable deposits have been paid out.

I'd be more interested in Marriage Insurance personally - with the payout coming to me if he cheats :)

oh, before reading it, I thought it was insurance in case a disaster occurs and you have to cancel/postpone the wedding ... like to cover deposits/payments to vendors etc.

Uh no.

OT: "Stupid Tax". I like Dave Ramsey too. Also off topic: I've paid plenty of stupid tax due to ex husband.

Wedding insurance that's only applicable if they split nine months before the reception is a HORRIBLE idea.

Here's the thing: I read a statistic once that said something near 60% of divorced women knew in their gut they were making a mistake on their wedding day, but because of a myriad of reasons they went through with it anyways.

I really enjoy the wedding insurance idea. That would be one less reason that you would be compelled to walk down the aisle against your better judgement.

I wonder how many men knew in their gut they shouldn't marry the woman they were marrying?

I bet it is a big percentage too but they felt they couldn't back out either.

When I see the Bridezillas on tv I cant believe any man would really want to marry any of them.

If my furture husband had ask me to get wedding insurance it would have made me think he didn't trust me enough to believe I would marry him. What's a marriage with out trust. Even so this insurance would not have worked for us. I did not know my husband 9 months before marrying him. We have been married 15 1/2 years now.

I wonder how many men knew in their gut they shouldn't marry the woman they were marrying?

I bet it is a big percentage too but they felt they couldn't back out either.

When I see the Bridezillas on tv I cant believe any man would really want to marry any of them.

I don't know, I haven't actually seen Bridezillas but I know that when I get stressed out I turn into a horrible person. Plus dealing with my family drives me insane. I'm hoping to just run off and elope, but if that isn't doable I hope my future spouse would know me well enough to know that it's not permanent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back