OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've submitted Bill's story to Dateline and a couple of more TV shows. I started to send it to Unsolved Mysteries, but I'm not sure if they are doing new shows or not.

I agree with most of your suspicions and point, Gemmie.

One (of many) of the most troubling things I see about LE is that, according to Bob's statement, the LE patrol officer was in the 200 block of Maple Dr and heading *SOUTH*.

Now Kat and another person said (something to the effect of) "You don't understand, naturally LE would be in the area because we called 911".

Here is the problem with that. According to Bob, the family was calling 911 as he & his bro were running out the front door to search on foot for missing Bill. The brothers headed directly south and he estimates no more than 5 minutes to the 200 block of Maple, where they "ran into" the LE patrol officer. **(Bob, see my question at end)

The family is assuming the LE patrol car knew of their 911 call and that's why he was on Maple Dr. However, this makes no sense, as if so, WHY would he be heading *south*. On any "missing" 911 call, LE goes directly to the residence, gathers all the pertinent details and info, then does not begin a search until he has all this info. How would he know who to be searching for, or descriptive details and pertinent info? It just doesn't happen this way. It also doesn't typically happen where you are literally just hanging up from 911 and have a patrol car 1 block away in less than 5 minutes, especially for a small staffed sheriff's dept. According to Bob, since the SO (sheriffs officer) was heading south, then the SO must have been practically in front of the Comeans house when the 911 call was placed.

A 911 call takes approx 5 minutes itself for the dispatcher to get all the required info from the caller BEFORE a patrol car is actually dispatched. Then it typically takes anywhere from 5 mins to 20 mins, in most small staffed sheriff's dept's for a patrol car to get near the caller's residence. So according to Bob's timeline, this places the LEO/SO on Maple Dr before he even got dispatched there.

Now let me also address the behavior/acts of the LEO/SO. This also raises huge red flags. Why would the SO *continue* to head south after "someone" reported "someone" walking on the north end of Maple, and not immediately turn around and quickly proceed north on Maple to see if that "someone" was Bill?? (as Gemmie stated above)
His seemingly (read: obvious) total disconnection with the missing person (Bill) is highly out of character, and highly unusual, for any professional LEO/SO.

**Bob a question, for understanding and clarification:
I find it difficult to see why you didn't see that patrol car until you got to 200 Maple Dr. It is nighttime, and a car/taillights would certainly be visible and noticeable even 1 block away (near the area of Maple & Kanard) considering the patrol car must have been near that area when you first looked south on Maple. Surely if the car was moving south, how did you even go 2 blocks on foot and catch up to it, and how did you not see it until "you ran into the LEO in the middle of the next block"? (which was 200 Maple) How fast was the patrol car moving when headed south?

It just seems like the way you say it, you didn't see the patrol car until you were right next to it. Surely you had to see it much before that. This is confusing, to say the least.

I just wanted to clarify my earlier post, I dont get the impression Bill was hanging out with a bad group of kids. He seemed to be well behaved, well adjusted, getting good grades in school. Those aren't the habits of someone getting high or hanging with a bad crowd.

Somehow, in the months leading up to his death, he crossed paths with someone who was a bully of pathological proportions. Thinking back to his paper route, could he have come across someone that summer in the midst of committing a crime like breaking into a home, hot wiring a car, drug dealing, vandalism, etc. If so, he may have been able to steer clear of them until he started high school that fall. At that time the perps would have seen and recognized him, learned his name and where he lived, and began their game of stalking and attacking.

It would be interesting to know if the two older guys you've been discussing had prior records of juvie crime.

Bbm 1- Betty P - I second this and it goes for my earlier post as well.

I do wonder about the Valium, though; 14-15 years old is young. And, about the conversation he had with his teacher about strangulation and passing out. And why didn't that question raise any red flags with this teacher?

Bbm 2: Yes, this would explain the "sudden onset" after he began high school -someone being able to suddenly I.D. him.

Im offline for a couple hours. I will be back.

Bbm 1- Betty P - I second this and it goes for my earlier post as well.

I do wonder about the Valium, though; 14-15 years old is young. And, about the conversation he had with his teacher about strangulation and passing out. And why didn't that question raise any red flags with this teacher?

Bbm 2: Yes, this would explain the "sudden onset" after he began high school -someone being able to suddenly I.D. him.

BBM1: I disagree. Some start much younger with drugs and alcohol than 14-15. I was taking valium (and a lot of other things) at that exact age. It's a wonder I ever grew up ok. lol

BBM2: IF he even asked the teacher that Q. it could have been the teacher diverting attention away from him/her and back to the deceased who couldn't argue.

Definitely a very odd case and set of circumstances.

Question-
Bill's friends that received threatening notes at school too, has any of the family been in touch with them since? Now that so much times has passed do they have a theory about who may have written them? What did the rumor mill at the HS think at the time?
Did Bill ever confide to any friend who he suspected of jumping him?
Are these people on FB? Has anyone reached out to them?

You're probably not, but just in case you're wondering why the odd expression on my avatars face.... I call that pic "clam dip nose". That's my Gemmie (since gone of injection site cancer from a vaccine). She stuck her face into a bowl of clam dip, raised her head and had dip on her nose (the white dot barely seen above her tongue). She's licking it off. lol I think it caught her by surprise. Hence the goofy expression. She looks almost cross-eyed. LOL :giggle:

I think that someone needs to step and tell the truth. But people tend to ignore bas situations.last summer I had a party and told to my cousin who will come to the party. When I mentioned certain name, she told me to cancel him. After insisting on the reason because I have never heard her mentioning him, she told me that while in scholl, she refused to go out with him and than he started to humiliates her, to touch her private parts in front of all scholl includiing profesors. Nobody for two years helped her. Simply they never discussed it. She never told it to parents but was totally broken.

Maybe somrthing similiar in this case. There is no chance that friends from scholl or close friends nrver noticed something, or some other person.

BBM1: I disagree. Some start much younger with drugs and alcohol than 14-15. I was taking valium (and a lot of other things) at that exact age. It's a wonder I ever grew up ok. lol

BBM2: IF he even asked the teacher that Q. it could have been the teacher diverting attention away from him/her and back to the deceased who couldn't argue.

Definitely a very odd case and set of circumstances.

Bbm: Then my question is: why didn't this raise any red flags with LE?

A lot of people here have been alluding to the fact the killer could be LE. That would be why. They ignored a lot of other facts. This would just be one more to add to the list.

We are trying to locate the autopsy report. I received a copy several years ago. Trying to find it again. I read it many times, but not in a couple years.Will keep you posted on that.

Methodical, Bill was wearing winter coat, long pants, shirt, gloves, hat, shoes. Clothes were not displaced. I forget if coat was zipped or not.

LE encounter... LE may have turned south on Maple from Kanard and come up behind us. We were scouring both sides of Maple looking at bushes, trees, etc, and not necessarily looking at a car coming up behind us. He was moving at walking speed and stopped beside us. I just assumed he was "out looking" just like we were.

We beat him to scene, called 911 again, and there he was after that.

I am posting in snippets because I keep getting timed out.

LE encounter... LE may have turned south on Maple from Kanard and come up behind us. We were scouring both sides of Maple looking at bushes, trees, etc, and not necessarily looking at a car coming up behind us. He was moving at walking speed and stopped beside us. I just assumed he was "out looking" just like we were.

We beat him to scene, called 911 again, and there he was after that.

I thought it was just me that timed out with every other minute. :facepalm:

Here's what I do because I HATE when I type something long that took a lot of thought... just to lose it. I also find it easier than using the small box this site has to create posts. Especially when I'm quoting someone.

I'll type my response into a word document, then paste it in the text box here and hit send. Less chance of losing anything I've written and much easier to work with. :)

LE had been to our house many times between the two previous attacks. Is it possible he already was familiar with us, and Bill, and the situation and was just making a quick cruise before contacting Comeans home? I don't know. I don't know if LE contacted mom at house while all males were out on the street prior to scene discovery.

If you check the box (remember me) right by the area you enter your username and password - it seems to keep you logged in, and you don't get timed out. I know that has helped me.

Especially when trying to post, and then you get logged out :banghead:

Hope this helps :seeya:

I think that LE had already decided that this was a suicide so the quote from the teacher was seen as confirmation of their belief rather than a red flag about the teacher. In the news article posted earlier, from 1981, LE stated that the coroner only labeled the case a homicide to keep it open but LE felt it was not.

This is EXACTLY what made me ask the question about the heavy tippers! Thanks for that opening, KatyDid23.

When I was Bill's age -- maybe even 13 (so 1969/70) -- I babysat for a family with two very little kids. The mother went bowling at 7:30, and the father came home at 8 -- and handed me a ten (these were the days when babysitters made a buck or two an hour, folks). When the two went out together, he would often give me a fifty, leaving me thinking "Wha-a-a-at?!" And though I offered to bring him change the next time I came, he always laughed and said he didn't want any change.

Well, then I started babysitting for the neighbor, a widow whose backyard abutted this backyard. The first night I babysat in the widow's house (OT, but an incredible Victorian with front and back stairways, skylight, and libraries, that burned to the ground about two years later), guess who was waiting in the car to take me home? Oh yeah. That night when he handed me the fifty, I suddenly got what it was for.

And guess what? I told myself that the main reason I was on his side was that his wife smacked their two little kids silly, to the point where one -- a 3-YO -- cut his forehead on a nightstand after being whacked across a bed. But I was bought. And I think I was dang lucky that that's all there was to it.

SisterWolf, what you say above about all the parts of the case is true, but I agree with Methodical's points about why we should stay open. I will only add that I myself am not completely convinced (1) that the notes figure into this case the same way you do, (2) that multiple attackers existed, or (3) that the motive was vengeance. When I asked the question, I was looking at the possibility of Sugar Daddy testing/grooming behavior potentially fitting another way.

Just explaining my thinking ... I am enjoying your back and forth. :)

BBM - I'm not convinced of either of those things either. It's hard to think that the notes weren't in some way related to the case though given the timing of them. Were they written by the perps? Who knows? As was previously suggested, they could have been written by Bill himself (although, I find it unlikely). But I do think they're related to the case in some way.

In all three attacks i was out somewhere else when it happened. I came home three different times and had family say bill was attacked #1, bill is missing #2,3.

In all three attacks i was out somewhere else when it happened. I came home three different times and had family say bill was attacked #1, bill is missing #2,3.

This and everything else that has been posted relating to Bill's movements and whereabouts at the time of the attacks is convincing me that he was being watched and they were waiting to get him alone. Whether that means just watching Bill, or whether it means watching the entire family's movements, I don't know, but I do think this means they lived close and had easy means and opportunity to watch Bill's movements without being noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆