Young giraffe put down in Copenhagen for dubious reasons

libraryg

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
WARNING----graphic disturbing content

A 2 year old male giraffe named Maurius was put down this weekend in Denmark, even after several bids to save his life. I am seriously either going to throw up or pass out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935

I call bulls**t on their alledged reason. I volunteer at my local zoo and know how much it costs to feed the big cats. I fully believe that this was a financially motivated giraffe murder!
RIP dear Maurius, may you run and play free in heaven, far away from the evil monsters at this so-called "zoo"!~

From your link Library.....this makes me want to vomit too....all these poor kids were invited to watch this? How awful!

"Visitors, including children, were invited to watch while the giraffe was dissected and fed to the lions"

This is absolutely horrific. I can't believe they did this.

The UK's Yorkshire Wildlife Park - which has a state-of-the-art giraffe house and the capacity for an extra male - was among several zoos which put in last-ditch offers to take Marius.

But the arrogant Copenhagen zoo director decided that the Yorkshire Wildlife Park should save its space for a 'genetically more important giraffe' and that the campaing to save Marius 'had gone too far'.

Not only was the 'post-mortem' broadcast live on the internet (why did they need a post-mortem - they know how he died, seeing as they killed him) they then butchered him in front of a crowd of children. :notgood:

What century are we living in?

Disturbing indeed. And WHY in the name of all that is sacred did they feel the need to involve young children in this, as spectators ?
I have always been fascinated by giraffes. Gorgeous and graceful creatures.
People at this Copenhagen zoo are ignorant ___ . (fill in the blank)

Just the title makes me feel ill. 'Surplus' giraffe. And then to refer to him as a 'waste product'...

This is a living, breathing animal. Surely there was somewhere else he could go if the zoo didn't want to keep him.

And I doubt children need to know that much about giraffe anatomy that they need to watch one being skinned, dissected, and fed to the lions.

Just the title makes me feel ill. 'Surplus' giraffe. And then to refer to him as a 'waste product'...

This is a living, breathing animal. Surely there was somewhere else he could go if the zoo didn't want to keep him.

And I doubt children need to know that much about giraffe anatomy that they need to watch one being skinned, dissected, and fed to the lions.

I know it is terrible I don't understand why they would not allow him to move to another place if they did not want him anymore. I am not a parent yet but the parents should not have allowed their children to witness the butcher of Maurius which was know doubt traumatic.

Giraffes are lovely animals but I haven't seen one for many years as I refuse to go to any Zoo where animals are confined to small pens. I will go to an animal sanctuary one day where the animals are safe and have acres to roam which is much better than a zoo. I will never go to Seaworld or swim with dolphins either as it is cruel in my opinion.

I heard there was an offer of a zoo in London. So why didn't they even consider this offer???:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am wondering if there is something in his genetics that they didn't want the public to know about. Zoos need to keep up their accreditation in order to participate in trade and other programs with other zoos, so more information might come out.

I heard there was an offer of a zoo in London. So why didn't they even consider this offer???:banghead::banghead::banghead:

There were a few other offers for the giraffe to keep the giraffe alive. I just don't understand why the public murder of an innocent creature was so necessary. A private individual offered 500,000 euros for him instead, which really baffles me- why wouldn't the zoo accept the offer?! Surely that kind of money would benefit them.

Many people attempted to save the animal — more than 20,000 signed an online petition, two zoos said they would take him and an individual offered 500,000 euros to stop the killing, but the zoo anesthetized Marius then killed him with a bolt pistol.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/a-young-giraffe-at-the-copenhagen-zoo-was-publicly-killed-an

I know buzzfeed isn't exactly a great news source but it's where I first heard of the story. Full disclaimer, the article above includes graphic photos. You have to click on the photo itself to reveal them, though, but I just thought I would mention that the photos are indeed included. I couldn't bring myself to click on the images.. and I am normally someone who can read autopsy reports without batting an eye. RIP Marius :(

Who runs that zoo. The SS? I would like to see that zoo shut down. Let the animals go to wildlife sanctuaries or at least a zoo that values each and every animals life.

There were a few other offers for the giraffe to keep the giraffe alive. I just don't understand why the public murder of an innocent creature was so necessary. A private individual offered 500,000 euros for him instead, which really baffles me- why wouldn't the zoo accept the offer?! Surely that kind of money would benefit them.

They couldn't accept the offer because the zoo doesn't own the giraffe. The accrediting organization does. The accrediting organization will not sell to an unaccredited park or zoo. They also are the ones who turned down the other transfer.

None of this was taken lightly from what I have read, which is why I wonder if there was something hidden in the genetics that they aren't sharing.

If this had been a cow, would everybody be as upset?

If there was something in the genetics of this beautiful animal, then he should have been sterilized. Simple.

I have been bothered by this story since I read it yesterday....how heartbreaking....and all those people standing around watching it???

They couldn't accept the offer because the zoo doesn't own the giraffe. The accrediting organization does. The accrediting organization will not sell to an unaccredited park or zoo. They also are the ones who turned down the other transfer.

None of this was taken lightly from what I have read, which is why I wonder if there was something hidden in the genetics that they aren't sharing.

Ahh, thank you for answering my question. That explains things a bit better.

That's an interesting point you bring up about the cow. I want to say I would be just as upset if this very situation happened to a cow, however I do eat meat so I think that might make me a hypocrite, lol. :blushing:

1) Giraffes are rarer than cows. 2) Giraffes are more intelligent than cows 3) Giraffes are not raised to be slaughtered for human consumption 4) It was the public manner in which it was done- was it really necessary to have children watching, and then publicly feed the immediately deceased animal to the lions??? Why not cremate it?
IMO it would've been far better to sell/give it to an unaccredited zoo than to unnecessarily kill a healthy creature.

"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo," Stenbaek Bro told AP.

Okay, this premise that we should treat animals the way we do for educational purposes has gone too far. They needed some lion meat so culled a giraffe herd. Just say it. Stop lying!

Okay, this premise that we should treat animals the way we do for educational purposes has gone too far. They needed some lion meat so culled a giraffe herd. Just say it. Stop lying!

A couple of steers would have been a lot cheaper.

Especially as with zoos they don't actually own their own animals, they belong to the accrediting associations who have to approve everything that is done with them.

That's going to send the message to young children that guns and hunting are okay!!!

I think that how they did this was very insensitive, but hunting is wrong, really? Obviously you've never known any responsible hunters.

I hate this. They could have given him to an unaccredited zoo......

Some info:

Species Survival Plan (SSP's)
Taxon Advisory Groups (TAG's)
Population Management Plans (PMPS)
Scientific Advisory Groups (SAG's)
Conservation Action Partnership (CAPs)

There are 9 separate sub species of giraffes. They can and do interbreed. They can also be put on birth control.

http://www.giraffeconservation.org/giraffe_facts.php?pgid=6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wafficer
Back