CVS Pulls Tobacco Products From Its Stores

On page 1, you seemed astounded that anyone still smokes, went on about how no place allows smoking anymore and asked whether there is still a large smoking population.

On page 1, you seemed astounded that anyone still smokes, went on about how no place allows smoking anymore and asked whether there is still a large smoking population.

I wasn't astounded. I didn't assume you (or anyone else) would be influence by the choices of others.

I never see people smoke anymore, so the size of the backlash surprised me.
Seems like what I said was taken a little personally...which was not the intent.

Oh, we're here...Just because we have been sent to the alleys, etc. like heroin addicts (oh, wait...tobacco is STILL LEGAL) does not mean that we cannot have opinions, oh, and RIGHTLY so...Oh, and I have the RIGHT to smoke, and smoke, and smoke. I may even want to go to CO and get POT!!!

I am a former smoker myself, but I have to say I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner and frankly I'll be surprised if other drugstores don't quickly follow suit. I think pharmacies started selling cigarettes way back before the link between smoking and cancer was established and then found themselves sort of "stuck" as the risks of smoking slowly began to come out.

I don't keep up on all the latest medical research but the link between smoking and health risks has been pretty firmly established at this point, hasn't it? I hate to say it and I apologize to all smokers in advance, but with society's emphasis on "wellness" these days I think it is kind of a no-brainer. :truce: As a business that is trying to keep up with healthcare and the government's almost fanatical focus on "wellness," I think CVS and others pretty much HAVE to do this in order to avoid being seen as hypocritical.

As far as candy and booze, I don't think the research is quite as definitive yet regarding health risks. In fact, I think there are even a couple of studies showing that wine, beer and spirits consumed in moderation may actually have health BENEFITS. And who doesn't want the option to pick up a "spoonful of sugar" to help the medicine go down, after a trip to the doctor and pharmacy with a sick kid? (Normally I go for ice cream but have been known to pick up a bag of skittles for a crabby kid in a pinch!). ;)

Oh, we're here...Just because we have been sent to the alleys, etc. like heroin addicts (oh, wait...tobacco is STILL LEGAL) does not mean that we cannot have opinions, oh, and RIGHTLY so...Oh, and I have the RIGHT to smoke, and smoke, and smoke. I may even want to go to CO and get POT!!!

The irony for me is now that I can legally smoke pot, the condition of my lungs no longer allow me to because I was a heavy smoker for 35 years. LOL Story of my lucky life!!

This in no way is a stop smoking message....if I still could I probably would be. I miss it like I never imagined I would.

Forgive my pessimism, but I in NO way think this has anything to do with CVS caring about the consumer and taking a stand on the products it sells...
Does Obamacare offer big corporations (more) tax credits for being what the "government" deems health conscious? I know at my current company, we received some $$ off our premiums if we took online classes/had health screenings/one on ones with health counselors over the phone (the girl sounded about 20 and couldn't care less if I lived or died) Later, I found out my company was making ALOT more in tax credits for all this than the $60 in offset to our YEARLY premiums we may have gotten if we jumped through all the hoops and dotted every "i".
Lastly, for those of you that have Caremark (as I do) it does NOT stop you from having your prescriptions being filled at any other provider.... They will take your coverage and for me, Walgreens was actually a cheaper option than CVS!! Ridiculous...

Lastly, for those of you that have Caremark (as I do) it does NOT stop you from having your prescriptions being filled at any other provider.... They will take your coverage and for me, Walgreens was actually a cheaper option than CVS!! Ridiculous...

Thank you for pointing that out---I meant to do so the other day and got sidetracked.

Forgive my pessimism, but I in NO way think this has anything to do with CVS caring about the consumer and taking a stand on the products it sells...
Does Obamacare offer big corporations (more) tax credits for being what the "government" deems health conscious? I know at my current company, we received some $$ off our premiums if we took online classes/had health screenings/one on ones with health counselors over the phone (the girl sounded about 20 and couldn't care less if I lived or died) Later, I found out my company was making ALOT more in tax credits for all this than the $60 in offset to our YEARLY premiums we may have gotten if we jumped through all the hoops and dotted every "i".

Your probably right, I just read about this.

Acting U.S. Surgeon General Boris Lushniak last month released a 980-page report on smoking that pushed for stepped-up tobacco-control measures. His news conference was an unusually animated showing of anti-smoking bravado, with Lushniak nearly yelling, repeatedly, “Enough is enough!”

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/02/09/experts-increasingly-contemplate-end-of-smoking/

Typical progressive thinking - make it illegal and somehow it vanishes. We can't keep drugs out of our prisons and he thinks he can stop people from smoking?

I thought I would stay out of this debate but just can't.

I stopped going to CVS because they are not efficient. Before I retired, I never, ever missed work. I did have to leave early one day and go to the walk-in clinic because I felt I had the flu. Well, there was not one single person other than me in that store, but I waited over 30 minutes for my prescriptions. Then when I paid for my prescriptions, the clerk was talking to someone else and barely acknowledged me. They were the most rude people that day. I vowed to never go there again.

On the smoking issue - I smoke and I don't care who doesn't like it. Smokers are not outlaws or second class citizens. There are too many people who are judging and having a holier than thou attitude toward smokers. I do not smoke in public, but I do smoke in my vehicle and home. It is my business.

After having said all of that, I am trying to quit smoking. The only reason I am trying to quit is because I am going to sell my house because it is just to big for just me. I want to move into a super nice apartment building where the smokers deposit is $500.00 in addition to the regular deposit. How is that even legal? Well, the owners can charge whatever they please and they have chosen to do this. I want to live there because of security and they have elevators. You have to have a key card to even get into the building. A couple of my friends live there and love it. One even paid the high smokers deposit. I'd rather add to it and buy new furniture.

CVS can do whatever they darn well please, but don't tell me it is because they are concerned over their customer's health. I can go to Colorado and puff on a marijuana cig all day long, but I am looked down on because I smoke?

Bottom line is that I want the government, and yes, even private corporations, to stay the heck out of my business and leave me alone while I do as I please during my retirement and declining years. I worked hard to get to this point.

Even if I am successful in quitting smoking and CVS was the only store open, I would not go there.

Long winded but that is what I have to say about that! So there!

:fireworks:

I wasn't astounded. I didn't assume you (or anyone else) would be influence by the choices of others.

I never see people smoke anymore, so the size of the backlash surprised me.
Seems like what I said was taken a little personally...which was not the intent.

I think there are more smokers out there than statistics show.

:moo:

I quit going to CVS a long time ago when they started that gimmick "loyalty" card.

You know what else really bugs me with CVS? They're very intrusive regarding my medication.

I used to take a statin medication (actually I've taken a number of different ones). The last time I tried, I had the same side effect, horrible muscle pain in my legs, so I stopped taking it. I didn't refill the med.

About a month and a half later I got a call from CVS where I filled the prescription to call them back - and the pharmacist is asking why I didn't refill the prescription!!!

Since when is it their business whether I fill it or not? Stupidly, I told her I again was having muscle pain and her reply was there were lots of other statin drugs I could try. THIS IS NOT HER BUSINESS AND IT'S NOT HER JOB.

That's something that is between me and my doctor, and ultimately it's MY decision as to whether I want to take a medication or not. I shouldn't have to explain myself to CVS.

You know what else really bugs me with CVS? They're very intrusive regarding my medication.

I used to take a statin medication (actually I've taken a number of different ones). The last time I tried, I had the same side effect, horrible muscle pain in my legs, so I stopped taking it. I didn't refill the med.

About a month and a half later I got a call from CVS where I filled the prescription to call them back - and the pharmacist is asking why I didn't refill the prescription!!!

Since when is it their business whether I fill it or not? Stupidly, I told her I again was having muscle pain and her reply was there were lots of other statin drugs I could try. THIS IS NOT HER BUSINESS AND IT'S NOT HER JOB.

That's something that is between me and my doctor, and ultimately it's MY decision as to whether I want to take a medication or not. I shouldn't have to explain myself to CVS.

Online pharmacies do the same thing. Patients aren't allowed to remove medications from their accounts without consulting a pharmacist who might contact physician for further information. We've used Medco and OptumRX, and both online pharmacies have done the same thing with regard to medications that we no longer refill.

I have that problem both with CVS and Caremark Mail Order trying to automatically refill my prescriptions whether I'm ready for them to or not. Sometimes I haven't used it up, othertimes I don't have the money for the co-pay yet. They seem to focus on the higher cost drugs like my asthma inhaler, yet they're worried if I refill my Prilosec too early- like I might push that on street corners,LOL!

I thought I would stay out of this debate but just can't.

I stopped going to CVS because they are not efficient. Before I retired, I never, ever missed work. I did have to leave early one day and go to the walk-in clinic because I felt I had the flu. Well, there was not one single person other than me in that store, but I waited over 30 minutes for my prescriptions. Then when I paid for my prescriptions, the clerk was talking to someone else and barely acknowledged me. They were the most rude people that day. I vowed to never go there again.

On the smoking issue - I smoke and I don't care who doesn't like it. Smokers are not outlaws or second class citizens. There are too many people who are judging and having a holier than thou attitude toward smokers. I do not smoke in public, but I do smoke in my vehicle and home. It is my business.

After having said all of that, I am trying to quit smoking. The only reason I am trying to quit is because I am going to sell my house because it is just to big for just me. I want to move into a super nice apartment building where the smokers deposit is $500.00 in addition to the regular deposit. How is that even legal? Well, the owners can charge whatever they please and they have chosen to do this. I want to live there because of security and they have elevators. You have to have a key card to even get into the building. A couple of my friends live there and love it. One even paid the high smokers deposit. I'd rather add to it and buy new furniture.

CVS can do whatever they darn well please, but don't tell me it is because they are concerned over their customer's health. I can go to Colorado and puff on a marijuana cig all day long, but I am looked down on because I smoke?

Bottom line is that I want the government, and yes, even private corporations, to stay the heck out of my business and leave me alone while I do as I please during my retirement and declining years. I worked hard to get to this point.

Even if I am successful in quitting smoking and CVS was the only store open, I would not go there.

Long winded but that is what I have to say about that! So there!

:fireworks:

I Totally agree about the smoking. If you enjoy them keep smoking them. I smoked for....years and I loved them. First thing in the morning with my coffee was the best. I stopped smoking when I was 21, joined a club (nautilus equipment) worked out 3 days a week, gained 42 lbs in 9 months and started looking like a body builder. I started smoking again and lost the weight in a few months. I did come to realize at that time what a hold these cigs had on me, wow. And all the while my daughter complained and complained and I was not listening. Then 4 years ago next month I have stopped again, I think I have beat them this time.(mid 50's now). But every now and then I will run into someone smoking and the smell is like the sweetest smell on earth. :blushing:
This is a good read. from 1987 but smoking is still the same.

NICOTINE: HARDER TO KICK...THAN HEROIN

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/29/magazine/nicotine-harder-to-kickthan-heroin.html

Just remember when you do decide to stop you will have done yourself a hugh favor.

As far as the staying out of our business, I think it's too late for that. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back