GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge saying goodnight to all.
9:30 a.m. tomorrow for judge and lawyers.
10 a.m. tomorrow for jurors.

I watched the Curtis Reeves hearing and it was way more than a bond hearing...it was a mini trial. That one does not have the black and white issue but Reeves is all over the self defense and is an retired cop. From what I could see in the video the victim grabbed his popcorn and threw it at him and Reeves had that gun out so fast that he had to have gone out when he said he went to the manager he came back quickly and boom it was so fast. He appointed himself the phone police in this theater...not the first time he confronted anyone. The whole theater was empty and he had to pursue it with the victim. I think this self defense/stand your ground has empowered way too many gun toting people in Florida.

BBM, yes it has, IMO. The problem we have here is not the juries, but that they are following the laws which are way too vague. The way it's written, you don't have to really have been threatened, just "felt" that you were threatened with imminent danger or serious bodily harm. There is no longer a requirement about attempting to retreat (that was A HUGE change). And, you don't have to fight fire with fire. Legally, if you "felt" threatened by a bag of popcorn, based on the statutes, it's legal to shoot and kill the popcorn thrower.

It's beyond ludicrous!! :(

Believe whom you wish to believe, I was right about the states case against Casey Anthony, I was right about the states case against George Zimmerman. I have to believe you think successful white men go around shooting car loads of teenager for no reason all the time.

I'm 50 and I have no Male friends, most are drunk moochers at best. I've given and given until they think I should give then everything, to heck with that.

My husband is a very smart, successful white man in his mid fifties. He has a lot of male friends, some as far back as elementary school. He is kind and respectful and receives the same in return.

He would never engage or escalate a situation at a gas station where harm could befall a number of innocent people. He would have moved his car if he was bothered by the music or some mouthy kid. He certainly would not empty a gun into a car for something he thought he saw. It is called using common sense and good judgement. If he thought peril would befall him or anyone else, he would have called 911. He certainly would not have left the scene.

He has a high stress, fast paced job where people's lives are on the line. So I am not exactly sure what you are saying other than these kids deserved what they got and everybody should carry a gun. Respectfully, I disagree with everything you posted. JMV

Exactly, which is why I speculated that women with black sons would likely hold him strictly accountable. I think they have a unique perspective on this. My kids are mixed race, half black, half white. So this is a topic of conversation in my daily life.
Yea, he obviously looked for a store with a group of four young black males to shoot up that night!

The state didn't prove he was not threatened!

In self defense cases, the defendant has to prove they had a reasonable fear for their lives. They did not prove that at all. They threw some hypotheticals out there but nothing clear cut at all. Typical defense obfuscation. The defense's CIC was peanuts. Just people who said that Michel was happy that day and that he had a peaceful nature. And then just Dunn.

They proved that Jordan didn't have a gun. They proved Jordan didn't make any threatening statements toward Dunn. They proved DECISIVELY he never got out of the car. They proved the boys didn't ditch the gun at the plaza. They proved Dunn lied about calling his friend and about telling Rhonda about the gun he allegedly saw.

I don't know, you seem awfully certain that Jordan threatened Michael Dunn based on his word alone yet say the prosecution failed to prove their case when they did a much better job of it with eye witnesses and expert testimony. Why is that? You still haven't said.

Have you ever pointed a firearm at someone with the knowledge you may have to use it, I have it's not as easy as it looks on TV!

You didn't ask me this question but I'll answer anyway. Yes, I have pointed a firearm at someone knowing that I may have to shoot someone, maybe even kill them. I saved my husband's life after we were savagely attacked by a drugged up gang of thugs. My husband's scalp was torn nearly off from the kicking and one of the thugs pointed a rifle at his head and pulled the trigger three times. I couldn't see my husband there were so many around him, I figured he was dead. I had a pistol in my pocketbook, pulled it and the just pointed his rifle in my face. It was literally a standoff. Then he made the mistake of trying to karate kick the pistol out of my hand, I fired and hit him in his most special place. I had to hold the pistol on the rest of the pack, help my husband off the ground and into our car. Had to put the pistol down to start the car and change the gears and was slammed in the face with a fist while they were trying to reach the pistol. We managed to escape with our lives. Long story short, but this situation was definitely self defense. Dunn's situation IMO was not.

^ <snip>

I'm almost 50 and have four friends that I went to high school with that I still have contact with. We don't try to mooch off of each other.

Steely! You're a young thang! (aka young emu)

:seeya: :floorlaugh:

The state didn't prove he was not threatened!

They did to me. Sitting in his car, Speaks first to the kids. Goes to his glove box, loads the gun takes two hands and fires 3 times.. Then pauses, Fires again.. and again..

All while the kid is shot INSIDE his car.

A witness heard him say, " You aren't talking to me like that.. Or something close..

That is all I need.

He was ticked because they probably laughed at him.. So he killed them.

JMO

Have you ever pointed a firearm at someone with the knowledge you may have to use it, I have it's not as easy as it looks on TV!

Actually, I have. I thought a man was trying to break into my home while my husband was working at night when I was about 22 living in Virginia Beach. My husband had a rife up on the wall and I grabbed it. Turned out the man was black and was running away from a truck load of white men who tried to run him down. We lived on a dead-end street. I didn't shoot him, nor did the 7 police officers who showed up in their own vehicles.

Seemed very easy for Mr. Dunn though didn't it. Where he claims JD was standing outside the car with the shotgun JD would have had every opportunity to shoot Mr. Dunn before MD would be able to turn and shoot JD. Didn't happen because there was never any gun. There was no gun seen by witnesses other than MD's, no door seen as open by witnesses nor anyone standing outside the SUV. One witness was standing right beside MD's car when he fired. If there was a gun point at MD this witness would not have just stood there because he too was in the line of fire. jmo

The only thing that matters is what the PROSECUTION can PROVE!

They proved;

MD lied about calling LE when he got back home.
MD lied and never told his fiance they had a gun
He's the only person who saw a "gun" or "stick" (a.k.a. lying about seeing such a thing)
He had no fear of being retaliated against.
He had no intention of calling LE on his own.
He shot far more ammunition than he needed to if it was self defense.
He lied about using the term " music".

So to sum up they proved he's a liar that will say whatever he needs to in order to get out of this. JMO

By what standard do you say MD is "successful". Works for his dad...no friends to speak of...3 ex wives...estranged kids and just does not have that "successful" look to me. Now Martin MacNeill looked successful...

I think he's confusing wealth with success.

Tell me exactly what you did March 13, 2012. The thing is most people don't a photographic memory.

BTW: After a threat is made it wouldn't matter if it was shotgun or a stick.

If the SYG law is written so that it wouldn't matter then it's a highly flawed law. MD was in his car with the motor running and could back out and get away from a kid with a stick. IF JD had a gun I get it, but other than MD's testimony there is no evidence of a gun or stick. Cops aren't allowed to shoot at people who point sticks at them or throw at them.

This is why SYG is a stupid law. You have people out there with no idea of how to defuse a situation like a cop knows. So you have a lot of paranoid schizophrenic hotheads running around with guns and firing them without reasonable fear, and then claiming SYG. The problem is that the victim can't give their side of the story.

the judge really takes the "sunshine laws" serious...I mean I don't remember being inthe court this much in most trials.

To the contrary, IMO, he has limited as much info has he could. That was smart, so it didn't taint the jury pool and stretch out jury selection longer. He didn't even allow media in the court for the first day of jury selection.

I guessing the ones who were on probation or brought in shackles have more credibility?!

They didn't shoot Jordan Davis... so yes, they have more credibility. The Defendant himself is brought to court in shackles every day, right?? The kid who was on probation has more credibility than the guy defending his life and has EVERY reason in the world to lie. The witness who is now in jail wasn't in jail when this happened. What exactly is the point you are trying to make?

I'll be here. :seeya:

Hope you have a good night's sleep. I'd PM you my cell phone so I could get a text once there's a verdict (cuz u are way ahead of everyone else), except I'm stilling waiting for my new battery :)

You have been beyond awesome with your updates! :)

In self defense cases, the defendant has to prove they had a reasonable fear for their lives. They did not prove that at all. They threw some hypotheticals out there but nothing clear cut at all. Typical defense obfuscation. The defense's CIC was peanuts. Just people who said that Michel was happy that day and that he had a peaceful nature. And then just Dunn.

They proved that Jordan didn't have a gun. They proved Jordan didn't make any threatening statements toward Dunn. They proved DECISIVELY he never got out of the car. They proved the boys didn't ditch the gun at the plaza. They proved Dunn lied about calling his friend and about telling Rhonda about the gun he allegedly saw.

I don't know, you seem awfully certain that Jordan threatened Michael Dunn based on his word alone yet say the prosecution failed to prove their case when they did a much better job of it with eye witnesses and expert testimony. Why is that? You still haven't said.
No, they don't. They don't have to prove anything. In Florida if they claim SYG the get a hearing so they can prove that. MD hasn't asked for that hearing!

The fact that MD was married 3 times and did not have friends does not bother me. He may be an introvert. I do think he is guilty of murder but his marriages and lack of friends mean nothing to me. I think he got mad, had too much to drink and over-reacted. He is guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23