Belgium approves child euthanasia

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26181615

Parliament in Belgium has passed a bill allowing euthanasia for terminally ill children without any age limit, by 86 votes to 44, with 12 abstentions.

When, as expected, the bill is signed by the king, Belgium will become the first country in the world to remove any age limit on the practice.

It may be requested by terminally ill children who are in great pain and also have parental consent.

Opponents argue children cannot make such a difficult decision.

It is 12 years since Belgium legalised euthanasia for adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this subject so troubling, perplexing and fascinating. It's a real head-scratcher. I'm not necessarily against it. In fact, I might even agree with euthanasia (in certain situations). How does everyone else feel? Where do we draw the line? There have been a good number of life/death debates lately. It's interesting, in a weird way. I never thought of such things until lately.

I think it's a good thing.

I don't approve of removing human beings from feeding tubes and letting then starve.
I don't approve of pulling the plug and listening to human beings struggle for air.
I want the same gift I give my beloved pets. A painless loving and quick passing at the end of a needle being held & surrounded by loved ones.
That's what I would want personally for myself and my family...loved ones shouldn't be put through it either. It's so hard watching suffering that can & will only lead to death.

I can't disagree. I watched my dad starve and struggle to breath for 48 wretched hours. It was miserable. I was not disappointed when I woke up and realized he was dead. At the same time, I can't image making the euthanasia decision.

I'm so torn on this.

I think it's a good thing.

I don't approve of removing human beings from feeding tubes and letting then starve.
I don't approve of pulling the plug and listening to human beings struggle for air.
I want the same gift I give my beloved pets. A painless loving and quick passing at the end of a needle being held & surrounded by loved ones.
That's what I would want personally for myself and my family...loved ones shouldn't be put through it either. It's so hard watching suffering that can & will only lead to death.

Worth repeating.

I hope that they have strict rules in place that only a Dr can authorize the use of euthanasia after it's proven that the illness is indeed irreversibly terminal.

I can see some munchausen by proxy parents asking for this.

In the end though, I do agree with ending the suffering of terminal patients.

I read about this yesterday and my first thought was no, this isn't right. But then I thought more about it. I thought about the pain that some children die with and the diseases that just wastes there poor bodies away and I then think yes, this would be the right thing. Why do we, as humans, continue to insist better end of life treatment to our pets than we, as a society allow for ourselves. I agree completely with Linda7NJ

I think it's wonderful, because it gives little kids and their parents a chance not to prolonged pain and suffering, no one wants to ever see a child die, but having to watch them die painfully would be horrible..
Obviously as long as it's monitored and not abused, I think euthanasia should be the persons or family's choice

I hope that they have strict rules in place that only a Dr can authorize the use of euthanasia after it's proven that the illness is indeed irreversibly terminal.

I can see some munchausen by proxy parents asking for this.

In the end though, I do agree with ending the suffering of terminal patients.

I'm from Belgium even though I haven't lived there for 13 years, but if I remember correctly the decision has to be signed by 2 doctors. Will do some research once I've got my heating going again.

I don't know what is meant by euthenasia and how soon in the illness or disability it will be used. Doctors have always suggested no feeding tubes and plenty of pain meds when people are dying, but I'm not sure about actually setting up a day and time to end someone's life even if they are terminal.

I am torn. For myself, when life becomes too painful, I would wish for it.

For little ones, I start getting political and scared, but I have seen them, and they cannot make that decision, nor should they have to suffer.

I keep thinking Attila the Hun, or birds. How they get rid of the sick and diseased early on. At least I think birds know when one cannot make it. I think of the danged news back in the 90's that a simple test could tell you if your child will become a serial killer (WTF??!!), and I keep thinking population control. I fear this could get out of hand in these ways.

I know it is not designed for this kind of thing, but I have seen how and inch (in the U.S.) becomes light years away from original intention within months.

I don't want little ones to suffer. Some are born to only suffer a few months, especially the little HIV positives, and only lay in a hospital or any bed, and only suffer until they die. That I can totally agree with.

I think too much, and not enough.

I am torn. For myself, when life becomes too painful, I would wish for it.

For little ones, I start getting political and scared
, but I have seen them, and they cannot make that decision, nor should they have to suffer.

Your statement matches my feelings on the subject. It seems so much more clear-cut when making the decision for yourself vs. making the decision for someone else (even if you think it's the right thing to do and you may be that person's only advocate).

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinion.

It's terrible to read news about this. I can't tell if this is right or not.
Personally, I think it is a good thing. I say this, as a former Special Education teacher. Many times, children are born, or in accidents, and the focus is on "save the child", without really processing the "rest of the story". I won't go further...but it is good to have another perspective.

I am very torn by this. If I get time I'll try to look at the law and see how it is implemented. I'm sure there are lots of safeguards in the law, but those that HAVE to be enforced EVERY time.

It's been 8 years, I think it's a good thing. I'm too tired to go dig properly but found this

Since the amendment was passed, it has not been relied upon very often. Reports estimate that between 2016 and 2018, Belgian doctors resorted to euthanasia in three cases involving children under the age of 18.

This is not a world I want to live in.

Murder of those who are deemed "terminal" denies all dignity to the lives of the dying & is ripe for abuse, especially putting someone without enough judgment (a child) in a position to make a life or death decision. Caregivers - who may have the best of intentions - are not infallible.

The economic pressures of ending the financial burdens of illness & potential of abuse by those with criminal intent are high.

Personally, I think it is a good thing. I say this, as a former Special Education teacher. Many times, children are born, or in accidents, and the focus is on "save the child", without really processing the "rest of the story". I won't go further...but it is good to have another perspective.
Another perspective is one thing. Active euthanasia endorsed by law is a whole other thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back