UK - Teen 'fan' of Moors serial killer jailed for life

zwiebel

Reaction score
A 16 year old schoolboy who wrote to infamous serial child killer Ian Brady about his fascination with the crimes, has been jailed for trying to murder another 16 year old in a hammer attack. He also wrote notes to himself about how he would sneak into the victim's bedroom and try and kill him, and that's exactly what he did.

The victim suffered 12 blows with a hammer but survived, and as they were in the same house, must have been at least a close friend if not a relative. The attacker, Liam McAtear of Lanashire, UK, entered a guilty plea and has been jailed for life for 'the protection of the public'

The mugshot tells its own story, I think. He doesn't even look 'there'. He looks as though he might even have a learning disability but in court the judge stated he is very intelligent and that 'makes you more dangerous'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-creeping-boys-bedroom-attacking-hammer.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 35
I can't tell if It's an effect of the light falling on his face, but his eyes appear out of sync.

He reminds me of a photo I've seen recently of a young killer from the early 20th century. I can't recall the exact source, a google book or news article I found while searching a cold case. Anyway, I know that when I came across the picture, I had to pause to study the guy's face -- gazing off to the side, eyes set on "ignore". The shades drawn to shut out the rest of the world. It was chilling, just like the picture of this kid.

I wonder how the letters to Brady came to light. A search of his computer, most likely. What I'm actually curious to know is whether he talked about the letters to investigators. He seems to be the type who would. Intelligent, arrogant, deluded. Or, maybe I'm reading too much into this picture. ;) Nah! The judge's comment confirms what the picture suggests. The public needs protection from this individual. JMO

All of Ian Brady's letters would be read by the staff at the secure psychiatric unit where he is held, that's how they would have come to light.

All of Ian Brady's letters would be read by the staff at the secure psychiatric unit where he is held, that's how they would have come to light.
No kidding. All of his letters, and I'll bet he receives quite a few. But how would the staff make the connection between an attempted murder and letters sent to an inmate?

I assume they made the connection after the fact because he signed his name to it. Brady probably gets letters from crackpots the whole time, so there's little likelihood that they would have seen anything particularly alarming about this letter before the fact.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back