TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just checked again, all is fine? I'm using California Birth Index on Ancestry.

Name: Becky S Turner
Birth Date: 18 Jul 1969
Mother's Maiden Name: Weber
Birth County: Kern

The other child born in California was Terri Jo, the surviving daughter. Her record comes up too, no problems. In Terri's, mother's maiden name is misspelled or mus-trascribed as Webber, but this is nothing unusual.

~ Thanks! I was adding her middle name... :banghead:

Some more thoughts -

How common is that coronary artery disease gene?

Do we know if any of BST's relatives have died as a result of this condition?

And my question would be, how the heck did she find out about this 'gene' unless she had some work done/ DNA maybe?
It's not the common person who would know...her blood work perhaps...

She was in Boise at some point in 1988.. She had a PO box in Boulder City, Nevada in the late 1980s
~~ Boise isn't that far west from Bakersfield on Google Maps...far enough but not that far. Considering she had a PO box...I get the impression she was starting her 'on the move' adventure and no doubt lived not far from there...but no perm address hence the PO box.

She had very long hands, and said she had been a hand model she may have had a nose job at some point[/B]
~~I did look at the other Turner's for large hands, nothing stood out however, maybe only FLEK..(if BS) had that issue

Boyfriend from 1990’s said she had “more problems than he could deal with.
~~Tracking down this boyfriend would be worth a thousand words or more. The Detective obviously did. Can anyone email him and ask him more about the boyfriend? If he could join here, that would be awesome.

She was in Boise at some point in 1988.. She had a PO box in Boulder City, Nevada in the late 1980s
~~ Boise isn't that far west from Bakersfield on Google Maps...far enough but not that far. Considering she had a PO box...I get the impression she was starting her 'on the move' adventure and no doubt lived not far from there...but no perm address hence the PO box.

She had very long hands, and said she had been a hand model she may have had a nose job at some point[/B]
~~I did look at the other Turner's for large hands, nothing stood out however, maybe only FLEK..(if BS) had that issue

~~Tracking down this boyfriend would be worth a thousand words or more. The Detective obviously did. Can anyone email him and ask him more about the boyfriend? If he could join here, that would be awesome.

Regarding the boyfriend, I do find it a bit odd that he (seemingly) hasn't been more vocal. If I were in his shoes, I think I would want to know. Maybe it would shed some light on her issues. I would have a very difficult time staying away from any place of discussion on the topic, you know?

On the other hand he could see it as a good riddance situation and want nothing whatsoever to do with it. Maybe her demons were enough that they left him scared too. I do think we would have heard more if he had been able to provide any relevant information. It would be sooooo interesting to hear his take on her, though. Especially in light of Blake's silence.

I would love to know exactly what the problems she had were and pick his brain for ANYTHING he could remember about her...he could be the clue to discovering some other people who knew her at the time they dated or when she was dancing during college!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some more thoughts -

How common is that coronary artery disease gene?

Do we know if any of BST's relatives have died as a result of this condition?

I have wondered for awhile exactly how this bit of information was known - if her doctor did a specific single gene test for some reason or what might have been done. If I recall Velling provided this information in a very factual manner, which makes me think there is some test result to back it up as opposed to FLEK just verbally telling people she had such a gene.

When it gets to the specific gene, the problem is two fold: first, there are a lot of genes that have been linked to CAD (>100) in some way or fashion. Only some of these would be commercially testable, if that's where the information comes from, which would narrow it down somewhat, but still... the other problem is that plenty of people in the US die of heart disease or related complications, so even if you found a strong history of CAD in a family we considered a "possible match" for FLEK, it wouldn't really bolster the link much.

Ultimately, I would really like to see someone (Investigators, the Ruffs, etc) get a DNA sample from her and have it typed by 23andme or a similar service to see what they can learn that way. Even if a good sample can't be found of FLEK, one could sequence her daughter and BR and then subtract the difference to look at the maternal lineage, plus the daughter's mitochondrial DNA. If a sample from FLEK could be submitted for full genome sequencing, Surname inference has been shown to be possible using the data already publicly available... I really think genomics could go a long way towards solving this case, or at least narrowing it down.

My 23andme results has an info section on CAD that says: Heritability for coronary heart disease ranges from 39% to 56%, depending on the exact subtype of heart disease. I received the odds ratio for developing CAD but I can't see any reason to test specifically for this gene in the clinical setting.

A quick consult with Dr. Google makes me think that FLEK might have had the MTHFR mutation. It causes elevated homocystine levels (contributing to CAD) and might contribute to pregnancy complications. Some people report that this mutation contributes to recurrent pregnancy loss. FLEK reportedly had fertility issues.

Also, if her daughter was born with spina bifida FLEK might have been checked for the mutation. So I'm guessing she either was tested for the MTHFR gene or might have simply had homocystine levels done.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/19/e289.full

Over the past several months there have been a lot of people who think FLEK resembles so-and-so.

I'm thinking that this is because, as someone above has stated, she has a familiar looking face. She looks like a lot of people and has very common features (except her height and the size of her hands which has already been talked about at length).

I even saw this obituary picture http://www.horsleyfuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1415084&fh_id=11837

and well, it looks like FLEK, but I know it isn't her because this lady is has departed. My point is that a lot of people look like FLEK and we can't really rely on "looks".

I'm sad that the Ruff family wasn't more active in joining WS in FLEK's identity search. There are people on here with some excellent abilities to connect dots and find information. I can't blame them, I'm sure the identity issue has been heartbreaking and frustrating for them.

In the Fall 2013 I gave up the idea that she would be identified anytime soon. I think it's still possible for her to be identified, but only with serious and active searching that never ceases, even if it takes 25 years and most importantly the Ruff family cooperation in providing more helpful details to searchers.

I wish their family all the best and I pray that the identity of FLEK will be discovered and that a sense of peace will cover the Ruff family.

Well.. Tune changed..

I have wondered for awhile exactly how this bit of information was known - if her doctor did a specific single gene test for some reason or what might have been done. If I recall Velling provided this information in a very factual manner, which makes me think there is some test result to back it up as opposed to FLEK just verbally telling people she had such a gene.

When it gets to the specific gene, the problem is two fold: first, there are a lot of genes that have been linked to CAD (>100) in some way or fashion. Only some of these would be commercially testable, if that's where the information comes from, which would narrow it down somewhat, but still... the other problem is that plenty of people in the US die of heart disease or related complications, so even if you found a strong history of CAD in a family we considered a "possible match" for FLEK, it wouldn't really bolster the link much.

Ultimately, I would really like to see someone (Investigators, the Ruffs, etc) get a DNA sample from her and have it typed by 23andme or a similar service to see what they can learn that way. Even if a good sample can't be found of FLEK, one could sequence her daughter and BR and then subtract the difference to look at the maternal lineage, plus the daughter's mitochondrial DNA. If a sample from FLEK could be submitted for full genome sequencing, Surname inference has been shown to be possible using the data already publicly available... I really think genomics could go a long way towards solving this case, or at least narrowing it down.

I got the impression from the article that the DNA testing was submitted after FLEK had died, not before.

Well.. Tune changed..

MY TUNE DID NOT CHANGE!
Did you find out her identity today? NO, YOU DIDN'T DID YOU!!!

:maddening:
There were a lot of ridiculous posts stating that FLEK looked like this person and-on-and-on. People that she had no real resemblance to. People who were no where close to her height, estimated age, skin colour, or eye/hair colour. It was becoming too much.

The Turner FLEK resemblance CANNOT BE IGNORED.There is a valid reason to look into it, the thought that FLEK might be connected to the Turner family one way or another was brought up long before the picture of T.Turner from his younger years. So right there is the difference in case you don't get it!

So No, my tune did not change, it stays the same. It'd be nice to have the Turner's involved for more specific questions and the Ruff family as well. I'm not the detective so I don't know what he was asked, but I still think he should revisit with the Turners and ask some deep and specific questions if he hadn't already done so.

My 23andme results has an info section on CAD that says: Heritability for coronary heart disease ranges from 39% to 56%, depending on the exact subtype of heart disease. I received the odds ratio for developing CAD but I can't see any reason to test specifically for this gene in the clinical setting.

A quick consult with Dr. Google makes me think that FLEK might have had the MTHFR mutation. It causes elevated homocystine levels (contributing to CAD) and might contribute to pregnancy complications. Some people report that this mutation contributes to recurrent pregnancy loss. FLEK reportedly had fertility issues.

Also, if her daughter was born with spina bifida FLEK might have been checked for the mutation. So I'm guessing she either was tested for the MTHFR gene or might have simply had homocystine levels done.

Unless, of course, they resorted to using an egg donor to conceive their daughter. Of whom would ultimately have no apparent genetic relation to FLEK.

MY TUNE DID NOT CHANGE!
Did you find out her identity today? NO, YOU DIDN'T DID YOU!!!

:maddening:
There were a lot of ridiculous posts stating that FLEK looked like this person and-on-and-on. People that she had no real resemblance to. People who were no where close to her height, estimated age, skin colour, or eye/hair colour. It was becoming too much.

The Turner FLEK resemblance CANNOT BE IGNORED.There is a valid reason to look into it, the thought that FLEK might be connected to the Turner family one way or another was brought up long before the picture of T.Turner from his younger years. So right there is the difference in case you don't get it!

So No, my tune did not change, it stays the same. It'd be nice to have the Turner's involved for more specific questions and the Ruff family as well. I'm not the detective so I don't know what he was asked, but I still think he should revisit with the Turners and ask some deep and specific questions if he hadn't already done so.

Wow. Tantrum much? I have held my tongue and am going to be as polite as possible but this must be said. You have admitted in previous posts that you yourself don't know how to investigate. There are people here who put hours into finding this person's I'D by researching leads, ALL leads, as any good investigator would. The only thing you are contributing is your opinion and throwing back info OTHER people found. I see this is across the board on all the boards you post on. Opinions are fine, but don't call OTHER people here ridiculous when they are doing all the work. Thanks.

Everyone else here sees a lead and THEY go research it, not try to make others do their work. Vellings email is public knowledge.. you may EMAIL him.

Wow. Tantrum much? I have held my tongue and am going to be as polite as possible but this must be said. You have admitted in previous posts that you yourself don't know how to investigate. There are people here who put hours into finding this person's I'D by researching leads, ALL leads, as any good investigator would. The only thing you are contributing is your opinion and throwing back info OTHER people found. I see this is across the board on all the boards you post on. Opinions are fine, but don't call OTHER people here ridiculous when they are doing all the work. Thanks.

Everyone else here sees a lead and THEY go research it, not try to make others do their work. Vellings email is public knowledge.. you may EMAIL him.

Linda9681, I'm really not interested in having an online fight with a stranger on a public forum.

This case and two others mean a lot to me for various reasons that I don't need to share.

I also don't like posting things about people who are alive who are not on these boards and forums, these are real people you are talking about.

You don't know that I haven't searched for info about this case. You are very incorrect. Months have passed since I've signed on to this website and I have learned a lot about searching, but the bulk of my time isn't for searches about complete strangers, however this case about FLEK is still of great interest to me.

I've already stated that one of my backgrounds is in Psychology. I do profiles and assessments so I tend to lean towards behaviour, not searching for information. I take information that has been provided and piece things together; this is what I do in real life, not a hobby or internet thing.

I'm sorry if you feel I haven't contributed any findings, but again, I'm not comfortable doing so unless I am 100%, again, we are behind computers and these people are living their actual lives while various people consider them to be cheaters, murderers, accomplices, etc.

I tread carefully. I don't want to post information about innocent people who have nothing to do with a case. If others choose to do so that is fine, I'm not against it if it isn't against the rules, I've said as much before.

I am glad that I am of so much interest to you that you've followed me onto other boards to read what I've had to write, but my beliefs remain the same, unless I am 100, I don't post things that I've looked up.

If you choose to spend a large amount of your time sleuthing that is your personal choice.

This will be the first and last time I address a publicly posted post from you because as I've already mentioned, I don't like online fighting with strangers.

:seeya:

I like your thought on MTHFR, given her fertility issues although I don't recall if they were difficulties in conceiving or with recurrent fetal loss.

I went back to the original article in Seattle times. Velling obtained DNA and had it put into NAMUS and even ancestry.com ... I just wish it would've also been run through 23andme and submitted to FamilytreeDNA. Ftdna is probably most popular for genealogy research.

I got the impression from the article that the DNA testing was submitted after FLEK had died, not before.

Correct. Been so long I had forgotten the particulars. They really could've done more with the DNA data though... Maybe they did behind the scenes.

Correct. Been so long I had forgotten the particulars. They really could've done more with the DNA data though... Maybe they did behind the scenes.

"Behind the scenes"....exactly!

The root of my frustration.

A request went out in June of last year (when I first heard about her), and since then, so many have been researching and investigating and those who are working 'behind the scenes' are likely taking the bits and pieces of hits-n-misses that we have been creating without so much as a morsel of acknowledgment or a treat to a bit more info. I am beginning to feel 'used'.

Unless, of course, they resorted to using an egg donor to conceive their daughter. Of whom would ultimately have no apparent genetic relation to FLEK.

That is a great point HerStory. If they did go that route, they may have used a reproductive endocrinologist to try to get pregnant. Most do genetic testing on both partners first before anything else to see who the problem might be, unless age is a factor, but she was trying to hide that ( if she was in fact, older, but we don't know that one way or another, but prob was)

There would have been extensive lab work and physical exams..so this would be on record, that is possibly where the gene for cardiac disease came into play. I totally forgot about the genetic testing until I just saw your post. Our family personally went through this testing. I do not know if EVERY doctor does this, but its a general practice for the ones I know to do the genetic testing. The company we used actually sent us a report with egg quality screening, and genetic make up for both partners involved. It was VERY detailed and covered the gambit of genetic disorders, blood disorders, and regular lab workup. It is possible her husband kept this record and gave it to the investigator. I will check to see if I still have our reports to see if it includes cardiac panels.
This is a prime example where we don't have all the parts of the puzzle that the investigators do that can be frustrating.

Linda9681, I'm really not interested in having an online fight with a stranger on a public forum.

This case and two others mean a lot to me for various reasons that I don't need to share.

I also don't like posting things about people who are alive who are not on these boards and forums, these are real people you are talking about.

You don't know that I haven't searched for info about this case. You are very incorrect. Months have passed since I've signed on to this website and I have learned a lot about searching, but the bulk of my time isn't for searches about complete strangers, however this case about FLEK is still of great interest to me.

I've already stated that one of my backgrounds is in Psychology. I do profiles and assessments so I tend to lean towards behaviour, not searching for information. I take information that has been provided and piece things together; this is what I do in real life, not a hobby or internet thing.

I'm sorry if you feel I haven't contributed any findings, but again, I'm not comfortable doing so unless I am 100%, again, we are behind computers and these people are living their actual lives while various people consider them to be cheaters, murderers, accomplices, etc.

I tread carefully. I don't want to post information about innocent people who have nothing to do with a case. If others choose to do so that is fine, I'm not against it if it isn't against the rules, I've said as much before.

I am glad that I am of so much interest to you that you've followed me onto other boards to read what I've had to write, but my beliefs remain the same, unless I am 100, I don't post things that I've looked up.

If you choose to spend a large amount of your time sleuthing that is your personal choice.

This will be the first and last time I address a publicly posted post from you because as I've already mentioned, I don't like online fighting with strangers.

:seeya:

Then don't pick a fight. I replied to your personal message you sent. oh, and you spelled behavior wrong. Have a great evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd