GUILTY UK - Breck Bednar, 14, killed by man who 'groomed' him online, 17 Feb 2014

gregjrichards

Reaction score
Breck Bednar 'told his parents he was going to a friend's house overnight'
But he instead 'went to meet a man who had groomed him over the internet and was stabbed to death'
The schoolboy's American father Barry is a Surrey-based oils futures trader
Lewis Daynes, 18, appears in court charged with murdering the schoolboy

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...man-groomed-computer-games.html#ixzz2tm4g9mWJ

R.I.P Breck

How terribly sad. Read the DM article on it this morning.

There are far too many innocent looking toys like Xbox and such where its a gold mine for these kinds of people. RIP Breck

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Awful.

However, is the title of this thread true? I've seen nothing that has stated the POI committed any pedophilic act?

Awful.

However, is the title of this thread true? I've seen nothing that has stated the POI committed any pedophilic act?

It is terrible. I may have made an error in the title but I stated this in the title because the article says Breck was groomed thus indicating the suspect's motive was sexual. I can't change the title myself anymore so the moderator is free to edit my post or delete the thread entirely.

Sadly, it's probably true, but it hasn't been confirmed. The media is calling him a "groomer". I'll edit the thread title.

A post on Facebook by a person claiming to be Breck’s cousin said the teenager was an "incredibly smart, funny and cute" boy who had been drawn into the internet after struggling to make friends.

The writer alleged that he had become “distant” from his family and stopped attending church after meeting the man online. The message read: "He turned to his computer and the internet for entertainment. He loved to play video games and may have even been a bit addicted to them (I can relate).

“He ended up meeting someone who he thought wanted to be his friend. This person wasn't another 14-year-old boy, but a man. Not having very many friends, if any, Breck immediately attached to this relationship…
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...tabbed-to-death-after-meeting-man-online.html
Christopher Curtis of St Bede’s School in Redhill, Surrey, said: ‘His tutor describes him as a model student, a conscientious young man with a great deal of potential. We are deeply saddened by this tragic loss.’

Paying tribute school friend Edward Ashby said: ‘I only knew you for a term and a half, but as we had every lesson together you became one of my best friends. Words cannot describe how sad I am feeling and I hope you have gone to a better place.’
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/19/oil-millionaires-14-year-old-son-groomed-then-killed-4310770/

RIP, Breck. :(

It is terrible. I may have made an error in the title but I stated this in the title because the article says Breck was groomed thus indicating the suspect's motive was sexual. I can't change the title myself anymore so the moderator is free to edit my post or delete the thread entirely.

No worries Greg, I wasn't criticising the title, just asking as I thought I may have missed something. Sadly it probably is true. :tantrum:

"This is the baby-faced teenager killer who stabbed a 14-year-old son of a millionaire finance worker to death in a 'sexually motivated' murder after they met online playing video games.

Lewis Daynes, 19, pleaded guilty today to the murder of Breck Bednar who was found with a fatal neck wound at the computer engineer's flat in Grays, Essex, in February.

After his death, family members said Breck, from Caterham in Surrey, had left home after arranging to meet a friend online, and today the schoolboy's mother warned of the 'very real danger' posed by 'online predators'."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...online-playing-video-games.html#ixzz3K61awSMq

R.I.P Breck your family are in my prayers.

"Lewis Daynes, described as a 'dangerous and manipulative' criminal, was jailed for life today for the murder of Breck Bednar last February.

The 19-year-old from Grays, Essex, had invited the youngster to his home before binding his limbs with duct tape and killing him.

Today, following a trial at Chelmsford Crown Court, it emerged the teenager made a disturbingly calm phone call to police after the attack.

'I need you to send police and a forensic team to my address,' he said, claiming he and Breck had got into a fight and 'only one of us came out alive'.
Asked if he was confessing to killing someone, replied: 'Yes, I am.'

Then, giving his name, age, address, he told the operator Breck had lunged at him with a pen-knife.
'I don't remember exactly what happened but the fight ended with me cutting his throat,' he said.
In an apparent state of calm, he signs off: 'Thank you for your help'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rned-police-grooming-fears.html#ixzz3OdvZNUWd

R.I.P Breck Bednar.

It is a horrible case, but JMO, if I am reporting to LE that I am worried about a predator grooming my 14 year old child online, there is no longer any online in my home available to the child. The school knows and in the US most districts have policies about what students can do online plus filters and alarms. Make sure the do-not-pick-up list is updated, accurate. Not sure about the UK. Mom or Dad is picking said kid up from school and taking them to school. No overnights. No phone. We cannot expect LE alone to stop these types of crimes. And 14 year old brains are works in progress, far from done. Impulsive, impetuous, no thought of consequences, common sense. Poor lad.

I couldn’t save my child from being killed by an online predator
Saturday 23 January 2016

Interview with Mother and Father

The documentary referred to in that link was on BBC last night. It's really heartbreaking.

And I honestly don't think there was much more the parents could have done to protect him. The only person to blame is one truly sick and determined individual.

The parents had stopped BB's online use and as far as they were aware he hadn't been in contact with LD for 6 months.

LD had secretly couriered a smartphone to BB and persuaded him to come to his flat by pretending he was dying.

LD had a prior allegation of sexually assaulting a 15 year old boy, and had bought duct tape and condoms prior to the murder.

It's all really messed up.

Here's the link, but I doubt it'll work outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03cgtx5/murder-games-the-life-and-death-of-breck-bednar

I just came across this horrific story today. I watched a documentary on YT and was floored. Found this article from January 2018 where this young monster, convicted and given a life sentence (which DOES NOT MEAN LIFE IN UK), is using a computer in prison to harrass the Mom of the child he sexually assaulted and killed. I ask you, WHY are these criminals in prison allowed to use computers? Are they just on vacation? I thought prison meant punishment. He'll be out in a few years and he is one dangerous person!!!

Mother of murdered schoolboy, Breck Bednar, taunted by menacing blogs killer posted from prison

Breck's Last Game
Breck Bednar was a 14-year-old boy from Surrey who was murdered in 2014 after being groomed online.

Like many boys of his age, Breck loved technology and spent lots of time gaming – often playing against other online ‘friends’ as part of a wider virtual group.

He played games such as Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Breck came into contact with his murderer, Lewis Daynes, over the internet as Daynes ran an online server through which Breck and his friends played games.

Daynes used this platform to groom him and over the course of 13 months forged an online “friendship,” gradually turning Breck against his family and friends by telling him a series of lies.

Daynes, who was 18 years old at the time, eventually managed to lure Breck to his flat on the premise of handing a fictional computer business.

On the 16 February 2014, Breck went to Daynes’ flat in Essex where he was murdered.

Daynes was sentenced in January 2015 to a minimum of 25 years in prison for Breck’s murder.

The film
Trigger Warning - grooming, coercive behaviour + violence. This film would be rated 15 if shown in cinemas.

Breck’s Last Game has been made to help raise awareness of the dangers of online grooming among boys.

The project is the result of an innovative collaboration between Leicestershire Police, Northamptonshire PoliceExternal Link, Surrey PoliceExternal Link and Essex PoliceExternal Link, and the film has also been made with the active support of Breck’s mother Lorin LaFave, who set up the Breck FoundationExternal Link shortly after her son’s tragic death.

Breck’s Last Game is designed to make young people think about who they are in contact online and asks the question - Do you know who your online friends really are?

The film highlights how a young person can be groomed and manipulated online and become distanced and isolated from friends and family. Its purpose is to protect children now and in the future and to stop another family losing a child in this way.

Facts about the film
Breck’s Last Game lasts just over four minutes. A 40-second trailer was made available to view in September 2018 ahead of the full film being launched in 2019.

The film was made by Affixxius FilmsExternal Link in Loughborough and tells the events leading up to Breck’s death through the use of avatars. It features the real 999 call made to police by Daynes and Breck’s mother, Lorin, also appears as herself in the film.

The film and trailer both contain warnings. If either were to be screened at a cinema, they would carry a 15 certificate.

How will the film be rolled out?
The trailer was made available online from 19 September 2018 as part of an initial launch of the awareness campaign. The full film was made public in April 2019.

This was to enable schools in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland to show the film to schoolchildren first, as part of planned lessons. Schools have been provided with the film as part of a resource pack which includes suggested lesson plans, fact sheets and supporting material and information.

The lesson plans are designed to be delivered to secondary school pupils and the resource packs have been developed with the support of the Breck FoundationExternal Link.

What can I do to help?
It is important children know how to be safe and smart online and take sensible precautions.

Make online safety an ongoing conversation. If you are a parent, carer, older sibling, or work with children, let them know they can come to you if something they don’t like happens online - whatever that is.

Talk regularly about how they use technology, and find out what their digital life is like, including what their favourite sites and services are and also how being online makes them feel.

Not sure where to begin? Have a look online for conversation startersExternal Link for parents

There are lots of tools available to help manage devices used by children, such as parental controls which can help protect your child from seeing inappropriate content online. For advice and guidance on how to make use of safety features on devices, check out the Parents’ Guide to TechnologyExternal Link and see more advice in their advice centre for parents and carers.External Link

You can also find more informationExternal Link about how you can help a child stay safe online by using features such as privacy settings on social media and understanding how to make a report on a range of apps, games and services.

Breck's Last Game | Leicestershire Police

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back