GUILTY Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax, NS, 13 February 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sickening ending. I would hope/ ask that the media NOT give these two the attention/ fame they are so desperately seeking. To stop using pictures of vh&bl in all news reports and instead use a picture of loretta. I went to a few of the news links off Twitter tonight and most are using one of two pics of VH & BL. The Globe and Mail for example is one. In my opinion this feeds into why these two likely did this from everything we know of them this far. Desperate for attention and their place in the spotlight.
Please ask your local media to not let them have it. To instead use a picture of the lovely young woman they took away from friends and family when airing anything about this story.
To not give them that final satisfaction. Just my thoughts on it all.

Ugh. So heartbreaking. Tossed out of the car by these monsters into the median on their way out of town. May justice be served. Like real justice this time.

A sickening ending. I would hope/ ask that the media NOT give these two the attention/ fame they are so desperately seeking. To stop using pictures of vh&bl in all news reports and instead use a picture of loretta. I went to a few of the news links off Twitter tonight and most are using one of two pics of VH & BL. The Globe and Mail for example is one. In my opinion this feeds into why these two likely did this from everything we know of them this far. Desperate for attention and their place in the spotlight.
Please ask your local media to not let them have it. To instead use a picture of the lovely young woman they took away from friends and family when airing anything about this story.
To not give them that final satisfaction. Just my thoughts on it all.

I agree.

They probably will not be charged in the death of the unborn baby. I do not believe we have that law here. Murder and or manslaughter are federal charges so it would not matter where you lived in Canada you would not be charged.

My hope is no matter what they find through autopsy that these 2 are not charged with manslaughter

>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

Canadian law distinguishes between justifiable, accidental and culpable homicide. If a death is deemed a culpable homicide, it generally falls under one of four categories.

First degree murder
Definition: A culpable homicide that is planned and deliberate — both aspects must be demonstrated in order for the homicide to be considered first-degree murder.

Some homicides are automatically considered first-degree murder — even if they were not intentional or planned:

The killing of a police officer or prison employee on duty.
A killing committed in the course of one of the following offences: hijacking, sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, aggravated sexual assault, kidnapping, forcible confinement, hostage taking, terrorism, intimidation,criminal harassment, any offence committed on behalf of a criminal organization.
Sentence: First -degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no possibility of parole for 25 years. Offenders who are paroled remain on parole for the rest of their life, even after their release from prison, meaning they must report to a parole officer and are subject to the conditions of their parole. If they break the conditions of their release, they are sent directly back to prison without a hearing.

Second-degree murder
Definition: A deliberate killing carried out without planning that does not fall under any of the categories of first degree murder.

Sentence: The minimum sentence is life in prison with no parole for 10 years, but sentences can be as long as life in prison without parole for 25 years. The date of parole eligibility is at the judge's discretion.

Manslaughter
Definition: A homicide committed without the intention to cause death, although there may have been an intention to cause harm. There are two broad categories of manslaughter:

Unlawful act — when a person commits a crime that unintentionally results in the death of another person. For example, an individual punches someone in the face, and that person dies of his or her injuries, or someone fires their gun carelessly in public and unintentionally shoots a bystander.

Criminal negligence — when the homicide was the result of an act or a failure to act that showed wanton or reckless disregard for the lives of others. An act is generally considered negligent if a reasonable person would have foreseen that the action would endanger a life. A failure to act can only be considered negligence if a person had a duty imposed by law to act — it does not apply, for example, to bystanders who see a person in distress and don't help.

In some instances, a murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter if alcohol or other substances are found to have impaired the mental faculties of the perpetrator or if the homicide was committed in the heat of passion resulting from provocation, which is defined as a wrongful act or insult that would deprive an ordinary person of the power of self-control.

Impaired driving causing death is a separate offence under the Criminal Code that carries a maximum punishment of 14 years in prison.

Sentence: Manslaughter carries no minimum sentence, except when it is committed with a firearm, in which case the minimum sentence is four years in prison. Sentences vary from probation to life in prison.

Infanticide
Definition: When a mother causes the death of her newborn child, either willfully or through an act of omission, while in a mentally disturbed state resulting from the effects of giving birth to the child.

Sentence: No minimum sentence, but the maximum sentence is five years in prison.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.1155132

Always sad to see "Found Deceased." RIP Loretta..

I'm sorry that your life was taken by bottom feeders of society..

Not fair at all.

Ugh. I don't know what to say.
Sounds like one of them cracked. At least her family won't be left wondering like so many others. RIP Loretta.

body.jpg

Police at the scene of a homicide on Route 2 of the Trans-Canada Highway, west of Salisbury, N.B. on Wednesday, The disappearance of university student Loretta Saunders is being treated as a homicide by police in Halifax, ending the hope her family had expressed that she would be found safe after vanishing two weeks ago.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/...ew-brunswick?from=most_read&most_read=1189926

Rest peacefully Loretta along with your little one. Fly with the angels and know that you were loved and cherished by family and many who never got to meet you.

May the work that you started be finished.

The rest of the work here is in the hands of the justice system. Let there be justice and let it be severe and swift.

My theory (before she was found) was that she had been left unconscious on the highway somewhere and then became a victim to the cold and hidden by the snow. :( I think that would explain why they were so careless about stealing the vehicle/bank cards/etc. I hope, that even if it was an accident or if Blake took it too far/scared Victoria, or whatever reason - that they get a whole lot of time in prison. Both of them. I hope that one of them won't get off on a deal that was made.

I don't think she was left unconscious. The media reported that it was a homicide hours before they had a body. And the police said there were no other suspects at large. So one of them confessed, likely VH. so who ever confessed knew that LS was deceased prior to being dumped. VH has also been charged with the theft of the motor vehicle. Probably plea to the lesser charges as part of her spilling the beans and avoiding a murder charge.
If LS had been left alive, there was a possibility she could have flagged down a passing motorist and named her assailants and help convict them on the theft of her car, phone, bank card, and assault. I don't think those 2 would take that chance & still be chilling in Harrow, Ont.......they would have dumped the car.

It is too bad under Canadian law that the fetus is considered as one with the mother. In Canada, a fetus has no rights. So anywhere between conception and up until the baby is born, it is not considered a person.

Condolences to Loretta's family & friends on their 2 losses. No parent should ever have to bury their child. It's just not right. 💔

I have to say, I am shocked by the stupidity of these two (or whichever one of them) to have left the body on a 'busy highway median'.

I believed it would be VH who would talk now that she was removed from the pressure of being around BL. She may have pinpointed the location, but if it's on a highway median, someone could have discovered it. But she came back a day later due to "logistics", could she have been in the process of leading them to the body? Do we have any traffic reports about what time the road was closed?

I have to say, I am shocked by the stupidity of these two (or whichever one of them) to have left the body on a 'busy highway median'.

I believed it would be VH who would talk now that she was removed from the pressure of being around BL. She may have pinpointed the location, but if it's on a highway median, someone could have discovered it. But she came back a day later due to "logistics", could she have been in the process of leading them to the body? Do we have any traffic reports about what time the road was closed?

First it was declared a homicide, the body had not yet been found. Then, Loretta was found on treed land between the divided highway.

Victoria and Blake were separated when they were arrested, so it would have been easy to play them against each other, especially since they were interrogated without the benefit of a lawyer. They are both going to be charged with murder.

Based on the timeline and all I think Victoria lead them to the body. Plus, they didn't seem to have to go through any identification processes before releasing the statement that she had been found?

rest well Loretta

your journey and angelic face will be remembered

First it was declared a homicide, the body had not yet been found. Then, Loretta was found on treed land between the divided highway.

Victoria and Blake were separated when they were arrested, so it would have been easy to play them against each other, especially since they were interrogated without the benefit of a lawyer. They are both going to be charged with murder.

Let's hope so and let's hope that they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law-and then some.

Time to light a candle and call my sister to tell her how much I love her. My heart is heavy tonight.

I don't think she was left unconscious. The media reported that it was a homicide hours before they had a body. And the police said there were no other suspects at large. So one of them confessed, likely VH. so who ever confessed knew that LS was deceased prior to being dumped. VH has also been charged with the theft of the motor vehicle. Probably plea to the lesser charges as part of her spilling the beans and avoiding a murder charge.
If LS had been left alive, there was a possibility she could have flagged down a passing motorist and named her assailants and help convict them on the theft of her car, phone, bank card, and assault. I don't think those 2 would take that chance & still be chilling in Harrow, Ont.......they would have dumped the car.

It is too bad under Canadian law that the fetus is considered as one with the mother. In Canada, a fetus has no rights. So anywhere between conception and up until the baby is born, it is not considered a person.

Condolences to Loretta's family & friends on their 2 losses. No parent should ever have to bury their child. It's just not right. ��

I doubt it was murder murder, there was no attempt to hide the body. These were all room mates, what most likely happened is that there was some sort of argument and they kicked her out of the car. At this time of the year in most places in Canada if you are lightly dressed you would die of exposure pretty quickly. The other two probably didn't know exactly what happened to her, and the police found the body after they explained what happened. They would have just gone to where she had been left, and the body would not have been too far from there.

It's no excuse though, here in Canada we understand what winter means and the consequences of doing something like that. From a legal point of view it would be regarded as reckless endangerment resulting in death, and that would result in a homicide charge. LE would have known what being abandoned in the cold meant, so there would have been zero sympathy for these two from them.

Something similar happened here in BC the other day, there was a house party where one of the guests was intoxicated and became belligerent, which resulted in the other people at the party kicking him out. Unfortunately he was drunk, lightly dressed with no shoes, so he was found outside the next day frozen to death. IIRC there were no charges placed since it did not appear to be a deliberate act.

So very very sorry to read this. Condolences to Loretta's family and those that loved her. Thankfully she was found. RIP Loretta.

One thing I don't understand--why are police waiting to announce the suspects in the homocide? Is it possible that there is another besides V and B? Perhaps it was just the way that he was represented in the media, but I too got a bad vibe about YS using the past tense in interviews, talking low and avoiding questions, mediating with objects while discussing LS. He has a considerable academic history on LinkedIn, and so I do not buy that he simply did not know what to do if a friend went missing--mentioning it to any of his friends would have solved that problem immediately; his English is also quite good. Perhaps he feels guilty about letting LS go to collect the rent by herself; perhaps he did not report her missing because he was afraid that it was related to illegal drug use; perhaps he never had much hope that LS was alive;--in any case, there is definitely something off about him in the interviews. I hope that a thorough search of their briefly shared apartment was rigorously combed over for any possible connections. It still think that is possible that V and B's crime of opportunity may have been stealing the car after LS went missing for a day or so.
New to the community--thoughts?

From LICRIT: Is it possible that there is another besides V and B?

The 11 p.m. news said that the police is not looking for anyone else.

I think they have the right "killers". They haven't been formally charged yet. I'm confident all the evidence they need they have.

I doubt it was murder murder, there was no attempt to hide the body. These were all room mates, what most likely happened is that there was some sort of argument and they kicked her out of the car. At this time of the year in most places in Canada if you are lightly dressed you would die of exposure pretty quickly. The other two probably didn't know exactly what happened to her, and the police found the body after they explained what happened. They would have just gone to where she had been left, and the body would not have been too far from there.

It's no excuse though, here in Canada we understand what winter means and the consequences of doing something like that. From a legal point of view it would be regarded as reckless endangerment resulting in death, and that would result in a homicide charge. LE would have known what being abandoned in the cold meant, so there would have been zero sympathy for these two from them. I believe they killed her and dumped her body. the median that is being cited is heavily treed and that area of the province got a lot of snow in the last week.
They were not roommates LS sub let her apartment to them.
If they had just kicked her out of the car she could of flagged down a passing motorist. Where she was found was on the Trans Canada it is heavily traveled.
Also if they had not meant to kill her the charge would be manslaughter. The charge of murder in Canada means a deliberate act meant to kill.

Something similar happened here in BC the other day, there was a house party where one of the guests was intoxicated and became belligerent, which resulted in the other people at the party kicking him out. Unfortunately he was drunk, lightly dressed with no shoes, so he was found outside the next day frozen to death. IIRC there were no charges placed since it did not appear to be a deliberate act.

They were not roommates LS sub let her apartment to them.
If they had just kicked her out of the car she could of flagged down a passing motorist. Where she was found was on the Trans Canada it is heavily traveled.
Also if they had not meant to kill her the charge would be manslaughter. The charge of murder in Canada means a deliberate act meant to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88