Dark Minds Episode on the LISK airing 4/23

"A call girl from Connecticut who authorities believe was murdered by a Long Island serial killer who found her on Craigslist was contacted by a Staten Island police officer shortly before her death."

"Detectives who went through the computer of Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, discovered the officer was one of the last people to contact her through Craigslist, according to the report. The details of their conversation weren't immediately clear."

But I remember reading this guy was cleared.

I wonder what it was that cleared this guy and what his excuse was for contacting her

I wonder what it was that cleared this guy and what his excuse was for contacting her

I think he contacted her through her ad with the same purpose like most others, to meet up. But he was cleared, probably he had a solid alibi as to where he was during the time Maureen went missing.

Does anyone think maybe this guy would have a car that's rigged? Looks like a cab? Or am I maybe thinking to much?

But a cab would be one way to get these girls and trap them.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

A cab would be way too conspicuous. One person some feel is a person of interest does have a rigged car, you know? The person who puts a police light on the top of the car and pulls people over with his volunteer security work in his neighborhood.

Really bothers me that they asked you to lie about what was left behind in her room. Misinformation isn't going to solve this case.

Thanks for telling the truth and sharing.

I never thought it made sense for her to leave her phone anyway. Glad that's been confirmed. I just wonder what other facts about all the other girls, especially Amber because of how dave Schaller said she was on the phone for so long before she left, have been misinterpreted up until this point.

I know it took LE some crazy number of years to catch Gary Ridgeway the green river killer...and that's with a very dedicated task force and lead detective in Dave Reichert. Detective Reichert said he had suspicions about Ridgeway since the beginning but had trouble proving it with solid evidence until the end. It's very hard to build a solid case and win a conviction on circumstantial suspicions. Reichert said when the forensics finally came in to connect Ridgeway through DNA he didn't even need to open the envelope he knew it was Ridgeway....

<snip>

I would be curious to know Reichert's thoughts on the LISK being there's so many similarities to a case that he spent his career hunting the killer to. He got his first green river body in his 30's and couldn't prove the suspect he knew for damn sure did it until he was near retirement.

That's a good point about making sure there's a solid case for conviction even if someone in LE is pretty certain they have their guy based on circumstantial evidence. Point of clarification, in reality Reichart dismissed Ridgeway as being the killer early on and actively argumented against it being him, which impeded the investigation at some points.

Doubts about Ridgway, Reichert's book says, at least in part were based on an early polygraph, which Ridgway allegedly passed. Atchley says he and others later reviewed the results, finding the lie-detector test was misread, inadequate and didn't eliminate Ridgway.

Later, when detectives obtained a witness identification of Ridgway as the man last seen with a victim -- work that helped win a warrant, resulting in a saliva swab that eventually cracked the case -- "they were absolutely convinced Ridgway was the killer," Atchley said.

"Reichert tried to talk them out of that," said Atchley, who at the time supervised Reichert and the other two detectives. "Reichert said it couldn't be him. ... He had his own theory and own suspects and he couldn't believe that Gary Ridgway did it."

link: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...cord-but-critics-don-t-see-1216577.php#page-3

That's why it's good to not get too invested in one's own pet theories I guess.

That said, I really hope that LE is doing a thorough investigation of this mechanic and these dolls, at least to rule him/them out as being connected to the killer.

Pretty sure he's also reading everything we have to say.

If he is, then Websleuths has his email address and presumably other data on him. I have a hunch that's why this forum has been kept private. The drama here faded out a long time ago.

Really bothers me that they asked you to lie about what was left behind in her room. Misinformation isn't going to solve this case.

Thanks for telling the truth and sharing.

I never thought it made sense for her to leave her phone anyway. Glad that's been confirmed. I just wonder what other facts about all the other girls, especially Amber because of how dave Schaller said she was on the phone for so long before she left, have been misinterpreted up until this point.

Now I am wondering if they told DS to say they shared a phone. I found it hard to believe that Amber didn't have her own phone and that she would have left without it, considering she had already been attacked and shoved out of a car.

Now I am wondering if they told DS to say they shared a phone. I found it hard to believe that Amber didn't have her own phone and that she would have left without it, considering she had already been attacked and shoved out of a car.

With Amber I have a hard time picturing things sometimes. Amber had a serious drug problem, I always wondered what sort of state she was in at the time she went out that night. She and DS and other were pretty deep down around that time, her judgement must have definitely been affected by her addiction and all that comes along with it.. The promise of $1500 might have even clouded her judgement even more you know. Just my thoughts..

Ambers doll really bothers me. If it was the SK who left them then I wonder what that meant.

I think Amber would of left for even less if she needed a fix. What sucks for drug addicts is even if they don't want the drugs they will get physically sick and throw up well going threw a withdrawal. I've always wondered if this perp kept the girls for a while and if so for how long.

I'd love to know more about this mechanic. Does anyone know where he could of kept the girls? Does he have a place to keep them for a couple of days?

Just some thoughts and info I came across reading about time out dolls........

These dolls are known as Time out dolls, pouty dolls, corner dolls and cry baby dolls. They are at craft shows and used for home decorations, but they are also often seen at car shows. Assuming LISK is male, a man would know these dolls from car shows more than he would be aware of them through craft shows, unless his mother or grandmother happened to have had or made one. Remember that GC was awake at 5am to attend a car show when Shannan came knocking on his door. Not pointing the finger at GC just stating everything we know so far.

At craft shows or car shows these dolls are not intended for children and are not made to represent feelings of "punishment". Most people place them on cars to look like a cute doll is working on the car restoring it into a classic, at car shows. If you google "time out dolls at car shows" many examples of their true intended nature will pop up.

IF these were placed by the killer I think that there could be an analogy made that if a time out doll is a finishing touch to a car restoration project, then maybe similarly the time out dolls are the finishing touch to LISK's murder project. So often we hear that murder is the serial killer's "work" and it is something that he is "proud of". If that's true, and if he takes part in or admires the work of old cars, its not a far leap to him adding the corner dolls for his "show", which would have been the families' memorial service.

I also think the type of dolls they are might narrow an age on the person who placed them there. In my research time out dolls are usually from the "older timers" at the car shows.

Here's some links where I did some reading on their history, how they are viewed within their subculture, if anyone cared to check them out too........

"mostly old timers do this (include dolls)": http://jalopnik.com/5834801/why-do-car-collectors-put-creepy-dolls-on-their-bumpers/

http://www.pro-touring.com/archive/index.php/t-43196.html

"dolls seen all over rural new hampshire": http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...e-the-only-one-that-finds-these-things-creepy

"Those "time out" dolls are a sure sign of a car show dominated by grandma and grandpa types... it is more and more apparent now because the owners of these cars are baby boomers who are heading into the golden years of retirement.": http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=968565

Brief description of dolls as decorations: http://thehairpin.com/2011/11/looking-for-something-to-lighten-up-a-dark-corner

Excerpt from LOST GIRLS book referring to GC awake to attend a car show: http://lostgirlsbook.com/excerpt/

Definitely could be something to that. Especially since there's a car show every Sunday at Oak Beach during certain times of the year. Could have been a prankster from the car show there AND may be the very same mechanic that was talked about as well. Doubt it's LISK tho IMO.

<modsnip>

I'm also starting to think that all GB4 might have had their phones with them but LE asked for people to say they were left behind to provoke the LISK to reach out further and make contact? If that's the case, I want the FEDS back on this immediately. Poor decision.

If the phones were shut off from unpaid bills would they still be able to get a ping off them?

As long as they were powered and getting a valid tower/towers signal, yes.

If the phones were shut off from unpaid bills would they still be able to get a ping off them?

Definitely could be something to that. Especially since there's a car show every Sunday at Oak Beach during certain times of the year. Could have been a prankster from the car show there AND may be the very same mechanic that was talked about as well. Doubt it's LISK tho IMO.

There is a car show less then 4 miles from the Holiday Express. I have to find out how many times a year this car show is held there.

As long as they were powered and getting a valid tower/towers signal, yes.

Well then I wonder if that could also be another reason LE would like us all to think they left their phones behind. So this guy didnt realized they still might be checking pings.

This guy loves his phone apparently. He tried getting into MBB voice mail. Called MW mom at work. And called MB sister. I bet he would love to keep their phones as a souvenir and relive what he did by turning them on. Looking threw their pictures and old texts.

Well then I wonder if that could also be another reason LE would like us all to think they left their phones behind. So this guy didnt realized they still might be checking pings.

This guy loves his phone apparently. He tried getting into MBB voice mail. Called MW mom at work. And called MB sister. I bet he would love to keep their phones as a souvenir and relive what he did by turning them on. Looking threw their pictures and old texts.

But the killer would know as to who did and didn't take their phone. When he called MB's sister he turned the phone off afterwards everytime, when he tried to acces MBB's voicemail and failed it gave a ping.. I don't think he turns the known victims phones on and spends time going through them anymore, it's too risky for him to do so.. Because it's definitely something they'd keep paying attention to.

I'm sure tho that if he succeeded in checking MBB's voicemail he would have contacted her relatives also. And if Amber had taken a phone with her he would have done the same. The two victims who we know had their phones on them he contacted their relatives or atleast attempted.

I wonder however whether there's cases of missing people on their radar where the families received weird calls or whatever AFTER 2010/2011.

But the killer would know as to who did and didn't take their phone. When he called MB's sister he turned the phone off afterwards everytime, when he tried to acces MBB's voicemail and failed it gave a ping.. I don't think he turns the known victims phones on and spends time going through them anymore, it's too risky for him to do so.. Because it's definitely something they'd keep paying attention to.

I'm sure tho that if he succeeded in checking MBB's voicemail he would have contacted her relatives also. And if Amber had taken a phone with her he would have done the same. The two victims who we know had their phones on them he contacted their relatives or atleast attempted.

I wonder however whether there's cases of missing people on their radar where the families received weird calls or whatever AFTER 2010/2011.

I was just thinking about it and if he went on MW phone and got her moms work # then wouldn't they have a ping for when he turned the phone on that time?

I think he would take the risk at Time Square again. Maybe not at his home or anything.

I've always felt that he couldnt talk these girls into leaving their cell phones behind. It was good seeing Megan's mom confirm her thoughts on it to us. I still feel this guy was stalking his victims to a point. It would of been so easy. The place where Megan was and tried to get Amber to go is pretty isolated by empty buildings and there would of been a few places he could of just grabbed her.

My thoughts on Megan are would she have maybe gone out to smoke a cigarette? Could he have called and said I can't find the place would you meet me out side? Or was there a card you needed to get into the building? Would she of been out side waiting for him to let him in?

I was just thinking about it and if he went on MW phone and got her moms work # then wouldn't they have a ping for when he turned the phone on that time?

I think he would take the risk at Time Square again. Maybe not at his home or anything.

I've always felt that he couldnt talk these girls into leaving their cell phones behind. It was good seeing Megan's mom confirm her thoughts on it to us. I still feel this guy was stalking his victims to a point. It would of been so easy. The place where Megan was and tried to get Amber to go is pretty isolated by empty buildings and there would of been a few places he could of just grabbed her.

My thoughts on Megan are would she have maybe gone out to smoke a cigarette? Could he have called and said I can't find the place would you meet me out side? Or was there a card you needed to get into the building? Would she of been out side waiting for him to let him in?

I've always thought that no matter where Megan headed towards, the plan was to immediately after go back to the hotel. I personally believe she went outside to meet the client to then go back inside with him, according to her mom who says she feared the dark and wouldn't just wander around in it all by herself he must have been nearby the entrance? Unless ofcourse she was in fact familiar with him, as in that he was a regular of hers. I wonder whether this guy has been outside for a while and saw her leave with Akeem and come back all by herself and then saw 'the oppurtonity' and 'lured' her outside in one way or another. Knowing that she was all by herself and her 'protection' didn't come back with her.

Because this guy most likely doesn't kill every girl he goes out with, that's impossible. It obviously must feel safe for him to do so.. And ofcourse we don't know how frequently this guy goes out with girls but since he offered Amber $1500, Melissa had a date lined up for $1000 he must have a decent income if he's able to pay these girls this kind of money because imagine if things were to go a bit differently, like imagine if DS walked Amber all the way to where the client was parked and saw the guy and the car she left with that night and the killer knew that DS had seen him and his vehicle, I'd say he wouldn't have killed Amber right? So in the end he'd have to pay her $1500. So it must be money he can actually miss.

I think this guy does it more often and obviously doesn't kill all but whenever he feels comfortable to do so, when he's sure nobody has seen him and nothing will lead to him and everything sort of falls in place he will.. Because I'm sure his goal pretty much always is to kill and he'll always try and create the situation/scenario in which is able to.

I hope this made sense lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back