GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
defense won't want this guy. bet prosecution will

And all other jurors who feel the way he does are going home too. :floorlaugh:

W

What was said/questioned?

Defense attorney was asking potential jurors about the insanity plea. Juror #139 said that he did not understand that because if a guy didn't take his meds, that was his responsibility. (I'm loosely paraphrasing here--not very well.)

Then the defense attorney wanted to know how many other people felt the same way.

Here are some related tweets:

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 27m

One juror is struggling w/ the idea of the insanity defense. "If I did something, I did it." #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 25m

"I guess the problem I have is the not guilty part," juror says. Mental illness doesn't "absolve" a person. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 17m

Judge Battles is explaining to the jury that an insanity verdict doesn't mean the accused is released into society. #scheneckertrial

Thanks everyone! I would move to desktop but pulled back out weeding -- so following on kindle

Credit for the tweets goes to jacct who is doing a fantastic job of it.

I really can't take credit for anything except enjoying my time here.:loveyou:

Sorry- you must forgive an old lady, jacct, for getting confused. :ashamed:

Glad you are here Chelly- always enjoy you being on the trial threads. :seeya:

I had to do some errands this AM and I had a chance to talk to my son about this trial at Burger King. I'm, sort of, thinking she is guilty of murder- even tho' she's "sick'- with the premed of buying the gun. She had to "think" of buying the gun beforehand. I also started thinking/talking about her daughter, sitting at her computer, and being shot, suddenly, from behind by her mother. I thought of my son, who is always at his computer, and I started to cry (in front of my son). I thought of him and someone shooting him :scared: in his innocence. I couldn't stand the thought. It's so emotional and my son said that I am too emotional with all these trials I watch/listen/talk to/about. It's too personal when I think of putting him in Julie's daughter's place and I shouldn't do that.
I thought of, maybe it hurt. She was there and then, she wasn't- lights out. Too terrible to bear. :scared:
And then Vinnie (HLN) was talking about another women this AM, who put her 3 week old baby in a microwave oven and pushed the button. :scared: She said she was drunk. :hand: How can you hurt your own child??? Terrible.
Sorry. carry on.

Hey Lamby- I posted some funnies on the Sidebar.

Anyone tweeting?

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 59s

Courtroom empties as defense goes to one room, prosecutors to another. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 1m

Prosecutor worries courtroom is "mic'd up." Wants to consider his options in another room. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 3m

Questioning is over. Soon attys will start dismissing large numbers of jurors. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 8m

Juror asks if they'll be sequestered. Defense atty says that's not likely. #scheneckertrial

So the courtroom is empty, and nobody's tweeting. It's after 5:00 there now. But by golly, they will have a jury seated tonight, it seems. :drumroll:

How long before the actual trial starts??
------------------------------------
Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 20m
Courtroom empties as defense goes to one room, prosecutors to another. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 22m
Prosecutor worries courtroom is "mic'd up." Wants to consider his options in another room. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 26m
Questioning is over. Soon attys will start dismissing large numbers of jurors. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 32m
Juror asks if they'll be sequestered. Defense atty says that's not likely. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 35m
Defense atty moved on from insanity. Now asking jurors if they've ever been a victim of a crime. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 45m
Good question. Juror: "Are we to presume she's sane unless she's proven insane?" #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 54m
A few jurors say they feel better about insanity defense knowing there are consequences. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 1h
Juror: "Is this an insanity case or a murder case?" #JulieSchenecker #scheneckertrial

Insanity isn't a "blanket excuse," juror says, but he could accept it in some circumstances. #JulieSchenecker

Prosecutor wants to keep the juror who thought an innocent person should want to testify. He's dismissed. #JulieSchenecker

Judge Battles is explaining to the jury that an insanity verdict doesn't mean the accused is released into society. #scheneckertrial

"I guess the problem I have is the not guilty part," juror says. Mental illness doesn't "absolve" a person. #scheneckertrial

One juror is struggling w/ the idea of the insanity defense. "If I did something, I did it." #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 2h
Juror: “I do believe there’s plenty of insanity in the world.” #scheneckertrial

"There seems to be so much emphasis put on this, it’s almost like you’re heading in that direction," juror says. Bingo. #scheneckertrial

Another juror: "I believe insanity is a plea, you can be so insane that you do something." #scheneckertrial

Juror: "Being mentally ill, like I said, doesn’t mean you have to go out and commit a crime.” #scheneckertrial

Defense atty now asking jurors how they feel about mental illness "in our community." #scheneckertrial

Defense atty asks if jurors have any connection to King High School & Liberty Middle School #scheneckertrial

Juror: "It would bring up the question: why would an innocent person not want to testify?" #scheneckertrial

"Do you expect her to take the witness stand?" defense atty asks jurors. There's very little chance she will. #scheneckertrial

#JulieSchenecker doesn't have to testify, defense atty says. "The law says she's not required to take the witness stand." #scheneckertrial

Defense atty is urging jurors to say something if they have a problem w/ concept of innocent until proven guilty. #scheneckertrial

Several jurors say they've served as jurors before, even a few on murder trials. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 3h
Juror: "I'm missing two graduations today. It’s what needs to be done, it’s the only way the system works" #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 3h
Court is back in session. Defense atty is asking jurors if they can presume #JulieSchenecker innocent before trial. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 4h
Court is breaking for lunch. Returns at 1:45 pm. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 4h
Defense attorney asks when was the last time you purchased a gun. Juror: "Last week." #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 5h
Defense now asking jurors if they own any guns. Many do. #scheneckertrial

Four more jurors are struck for cause. We're at 64. #scheneckertrial

All the juror have filed out because one needed to use the bathroom. It's the rules. #scheneckertrial

Juror says he can't handle graphic images. "I come from a city, Chicago, where there’s nothing but violence." #scheneckertrial

"That’s not something that I want to see” juror says of graphic images of murders.
#scheneckertrial

Juror: "the graphic nature of this is something that’s probably going to be very difficult for me.” #scheneckertrial

Def atty is asking yesterday's question: will the presence of children in the case make you impartial? #scheneckertrial

Defense atty: "How many of you have ever been touched by a homicide?" #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 6h
Defense reads its witness list. As expected, Parker Schenecker, Julie's ex-husband, is on there. #scheneckertrial

Back from break & we're down to 68 jurors. One was sent home, tho unclear why. #scheneckertrial

A fair number of these jurors have worked w/ or taken care of mentally ill people. #scheneckertrial

One juror says she used to work at an out-patient mental health facility. Curious to see if she stays. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 7h
Defense attys are specifically interested in whether jurors understand "schedules of medication" #scheneckertrial

Juror: "There are mental health issues in the world, I believe they influence people’s behavior” #scheneckertrial

Defense attorneys are now trying to gauge whether jurors believe mental illness exists. #scheneckertrial

Understatement of the morning: "There might be some mental health issues that might be presented to jurors in this trial” #scheneckertrial

Defense atty Charles Traina is asking jurors if they have any medical training, formal or not. #scheneckertrial

It's the defense's turn today. Atty: "You’ve been exposed to what I’d say is the slowest pace that a trial has." #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 8h
Attorneys have narrowed the pool of jurors from 90 to 69. Here's what happened yesterday: http://bit.ly/1nalk0w #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 8h
Jury selection in the #julieschenecker case is about to begin. This is the 5th and likely final day. #scheneckertrial

Monday, I believe, YorN.

Thanks, janx :seeya:

picture.php

live stream back for jury selection finale.

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 8m

Both sides are back in the courtroom. Jury picking process should begin soon. #scheneckertrial #JulieSchenecker

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 3m

Prosecutors objects that defense attorney is striking white males from the pool. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive 7m

Judge Battles is seated. Jury selection begins. #scheneckertrial #JulieSchenecker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan