CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

Carl, do you have any idea where this thread might have disappeared to? The link gives an error and search doesn't find it either. We had a bunch of research in there about the camping equipment, the maps and the routes he might have followed, etc. I hope it's not lost.

This thread is the product of two merged threads. I am not aware of any third thread on this John Doe. And there no deleted posts other than a couple of "bump to merge" posts that Cubby entered when merging the two threads.

This thread is the product of two merged threads. I am not aware of any third thread on this John Doe. And there no deleted posts other than a couple of "bump to merge" posts that Cubby entered when merging the two threads.

Weird. I know the other thread was there when I posted the pointer, and the contents aren't in this thread. I guess I must have been imagining things...

What's really unusual is what's omitted from the note.

Dear Lib
I should write in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey. I would like for you to claim the body. No services or memoreal. Cremation, and

The writer was so certain his death was impending that he left instructions for the dispersal of his remains, yet he never wrote what was about to kill him. Even if he had an overriding health problem that was more certain than anything else to end his life, you'd think he would have written that he was having heart attack symptoms, for example, and not leave Lib forever wondering what had happened. There may be several unreadable pages following this one in the diary, but he should have told Lib what was happening right on the first page, and instead he segued right into what should be done with his remains.

So, did Lib already know he was dying or planned to kill himself, and the note was only a vaguely written farewell, even an afterthought? Had they discussed all of this beforehand? The request for no services or memorial sounds more like a reminder of a past conversation than a first-time request, IMHO. If it was the first time he'd brought it up, he might have at least given a reason why he didn't want any type of funeral. I'm not sure if it's significant that he didn't elaborate on the "cremation," stating where or how he wanted it done.

I wonder how many unreadable pages might have been in the notebook between the first page and the page on which he joked about taking the ashes up in a glider, because if there weren't any then it's strange that he wrote so much about dispersing his ashes but didn't write what he wanted Lib to tell any relatives or friends about his death or that he loved them.

Maybe this guy was just "all business" and preoccupied with practical matters like having Lib call the mystery woman and have something sent to her, but the letter is shockingly unsentimental. Here's where I apologize in advance if this man is someday identified and he had never done anything wrong, but I'm suspicious he might have been a fugitive for years and, knowing he was growing incurably ill, did not want to be identified after his death.

It's an admittedly strange theory, but I think he left Lib with a duplicate copy of those marked maps showing the route he had taken, just in case he didn't make it all the way to the campsite, and he left her with instructions to wait a long time, then retrieve his skeletal remains and clandestinely cremate and disperse them. If this was the case, then both already knew that a coroner couldn't take his remains, nor could he have a funeral that might call into question who he really was. He might have not had many personal connections in his life aside from Lib, either.

But, if this was the case, he probably didn't want her to wait a full five years, so why didn't she come back for him? Did something happen to her in the interim that left her physically unable to make the hike? Was she fearful of being caught transporting his remains and she decided to let him remain in the wilderness?

He seemed certain it would be Lib and not anyone else who would find him, too, or the note would have been addressed to "whoever finds this campsite" and contain the man's name and instructions on how to contact Lib to tell her he had died.

Yet I don't think Lib was camping with him because that would make "I would like for you to claim the body" a strange request. If she was camping with him and had left for a short time, he would have likely written "return to civilization and then have my body brought back by a recovery team" or something similar.

Unrelated, but it would be nice to know what state's tax stamps were on the Camel cigarettes, assuming the stamps were legible.

This is a sad and perplexing case. If he was a fugitive from justice who didn't want his real identity know, he would have just kept his "new" identity and whatever documents he used if proof of identity was needed. Since he appears to expect his loved ones to be notified of his death, I don't think he was deliberately concealing his identity. I suspect his wallet was carried away by animals.

Good point about the tax stamp. That would narrow the search a little. He did seem to be carrying a lot of smokes and lighters but otherwise rather meager backpacking equipment. He was not in a normal backpackers camping area. I suspect this was an emergency bivouac; probably a result of a health crisis. He wasn't that far from the trailhead. I wonder if he jettisoned some of his food and equipment along the trail in order to lighten his load.

I suspect he was either never reported missing or a missing person report was never taken. The particular trail he was on is a fairly well know route that is mentioned on several "backpacking publications and numerous websites and blogs. It is hardly a "locals only" type trail. It would be a reasonable route that anyone in the world who wanted to "hike in the Rockies" might choose. He could be from anywhere. I'm not so sure what would happen if someone I knew went backpacking and never returned if I didn't know where they went backpacking. It would be pretty vague. I suspect this is what happened.

I'm just thinking... I couldn't find the Doe on Namus. Is he there? Any chance of getting him there if he isn't?

Just a quick thought regarding the mixed matched sleeping bag and sleeping bag cover...it could have been purchased from a garage sale or thrift store. I used to work in a thrift store and in fact was responsible for the "linens". I saw this type of mixed match stuff all the time!!!

https://www.colorado.gov/apps/coldcase/casedetail.html?id=256003

same information, but the pics are easier to see.
This "black logo'd bag" is actually a Surf Board Cover. The "Dartt" is a style of surfboard, and "extra long" refers to 6 1/2 feet in length.. The brand is out of Australia. (confirmed by my friend Gordon, who lives in Australia..) Which quickly leads me to believe that he may or may not be FROM Australia..or had traveled there. Gordz couldn't find the "brand" itself, but said that Most Surf shops are Mom&Pop types that build boards out of their backyards and sell them down on the beach to tourists, so they're not "big time brands".

Finding that out, actually brings me closer in a way to finding out who that guy is, because we know that he loves ALL outdoors activities. And I've never seen anyone go Surfing alone. At least they shouldn't..
JMHO

I'm just thinking... I couldn't find the Doe on Namus. Is he there? Any chance of getting him there if he isn't?

Colorado is a bit behind the times..I've looked up a few "missing" people from their website and they're Nowhere in NaMus. It's like we're "on our own" here. Maybe we can send a few e-mails and see if they'll enter that information? MOO

I'm on my Tablet right now and haven't figured out the copy paste with other threads yet. But someone theorized that this could be an Alabama man by the name of Willie Leon Brasher. If this hasn't been brought here yet, would someone please link it for comparison? Tia

I'm on my Tablet right now and haven't figured out the copy paste with other threads yet. But someone theorized that this could be an Alabama man by the name of Willie Leon Brasher. If this hasn't been brought here yet, would someone please link it for comparison? Tia

I don't think Willie Leon Brasher is missing anymore, I will email Charley Project to take him down. Jefferson County have taken him down as missing, he was arrested in Wisconsin in 2001, and according to Wisconsin Courts the case record has an address for him updated in 2008.

I don't think Willie Leon Brasher is missing anymore, I will email Charley Project to take him down. Jefferson County have taken him down as missing, he was arrested in Wisconsin in 2001, and according to Wisconsin Courts the case record has an address for him updated in 2008.

Oh ok..cool beans.

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20060420/VALLEYNEWS/104200035
Here's an article that gives you a close up of the notebook when you click the picture. I'm going to see if I can "blow it up" a bit more so I can see it clearly. Maybe I can pull something from it.
So far, I see that he writes his letters in all capitals, almost a "block-style". My dad used to do this too. He said that they taught people in the Military to do this if they had sloppy handwriting. It could also be a coincidence. But it may be safe to assume this person was a veteran at some time, too. JMO

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20060420/VALLEYNEWS/104200035
My dad used to do this too. He said that they taught people in the Military to do this if they had sloppy handwriting. It could also be a coincidence. But it may be safe to assume this person was a veteran at some time, too. JMO

I'd be willing to bet, simply based on preparedness.

My father, as well, was in the Navy and writes in block letters. I picked up the habit from him, but have never been in the military.

Also, where it is assumed to say "WRITE" -- that word doesn't fully look like "write," not that that yields any clues or anything. Just stating an opinion :)

I'd be willing to bet, simply based on preparedness.

My father, as well, was in the Navy and writes in block letters. I picked up the habit from him, but have never been in the military.

Also, where it is assumed to say "WRITE" -- that word doesn't fully look like "write," not that that yields any clues or anything. Just stating an opinion :)

Well, this is simply heart-wrenching..to say the least. Deciphering this note seriously shows he was fading in and out of consciousness. His demeanor and outlook changes with every line that was written. These ARE this Man's last dying words. Sad. JMHO

Someone previously stated there is technology out there that can pick up words even if erased... I wonder why they haven't employed that yet. I guess UID's are a waste of money to them (that's the only reason I can think of).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back