GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 23s
Schenecker often said her family didn't understand her mental illness, defense atty says. #scheneckertrial

The atty said that? Is she allowed to testify like that? I haven't put up the streaming yet this afternoon.

This is one case where I can equally see the merits of both the defense and state cases. I don't think that's ever happened before lol

My opinion goes back and forth with each witness and even when a witness goes from direct exam to cross exam

Hi Minor!

I think the best evidence is what has been entered that starts five days before the murders and right after she was arrested including the interview she had with police.

The other is really fluff to me. Those time periods are the most important elements in this case.

IMO, it shows clearly during this time period she was sane and knew what she was planning to do was wrong.

A lot of what was entered was after she had already planned and committed the murders. I don't see any relevancy honestly.

Detectives shouldn't have interviewed her in the state she was in. I'm surprised that interview was not suppressed.

In her journal, she indicates why she shot the children. Because she had to save them. She did not want them to have problems with bipolar disorder.

JS indicated many times that her family did not understand her illness. The children and her husband accompanied her to therapy two times in Dec. 2010.

In her journal, she wrote she was concerned the children were cold, and she put blankets on them. She wrote she saw a lot of blood, and another time that she didn't see much blood. She tried to put Beau in the bed with her because that's where he rests most comfortably. She said she couldn't lift him, but she never unbuckled the seatbelt.

She wrote to have all bodies cremated and mix ashes so they could be together. They would all go together to Heaven.

In her interview, she said, "This is the worst thing I've ever done." But when L.E. asked her if children were dead, she said "I don't know." Then she said, "I hope so." "I hope they're dead."

A lot of variation of whether they were dead or asleep in her mind. Dr. T said by that time she'd consumed a lot of alcohol and overdosed on meds -- by time she was speaking to detectives, she was at times clear and at times confused. The initial journal entries after the killings were very clear, but then became less clear in the hours after the killings.

He agreed that a person could be insane and yet plan to kill someone. "If you know what you're doing has consequences, but because of a mental illness, you believe what you're doing is right, you can meet the criteria for insanity."

There are situations where a person can intend to kill someone, but due to a delusion (i.e. the victim inhabited by Satan), be insane when they kill.

Someone can purposefully act and execute a plan, and still be insane. They may appear normal to outside people, but unlikely.

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 59s
Taylor says he recently declared a woman insane who had killed her infant, believing it was inhabited by Satan. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 1m
That woman was delusional, Taylor says. Schenecker was not. #scheneckertrial

What is the diff between Bipolar I and Bipolar II? Anyone?

It defines how the diagnosis relates to:

Axis I: Principal Disorder
Axis II: Personality Disorder
Axis III: Medical
Axis IV: Psychosocial Stressors
Axis V: Level of Function

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 11s
Dr Taylor says when #JulieSchenecker asked officers for their gun to finish herself off, she was still suffering suicidal thoughts

While in Windmoor, Dr. T says she met the criteria for a major depressive episode which became worse after she was released up until the time that the alleged offense occurred.

When she saw Dr. Obregon in Dec, she voiced suicidal thoughts. At one point she stated she was thinking about suicide daily.

She had slapped her doctor, got into a car accident, in rehab, then in bed every day, not functioning with her family, voicing suicidal thoughts -- Dr. T agreed that she should have been hospitalized at that time. It was clear that her mental condition was deteriorating. It would have been advisable for her to agree to a voluntary admission. Even with HIPPA requirements, you could inform family members that you believe your patient could be hospitalized? Yes

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 1m
That woman was delusional, Taylor says. Schenecker was not. #scheneckertrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 2m
Taylor says Julie should have been hospitalized in late 2010. #scheneckertrial

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 1m
Defense has nothing further, state up on redirect #JulieSchenecker

Hi Minor!

I think the best evidence is what has been entered that starts five days before the murders and right after she was arrested including the interview she had with police.

The other is really fluff to me. Those time periods are the most important elements in this case.

IMO, it shows clearly during this time period she was sane and knew what she was planning to do was wrong.

A lot of what was entered was after she had already planned and committed the murders. I don't see any relevancy honestly.

Howdy OBE!! We keep running into each other :)

That was my initial thought also. But there's subsequently been more testimony about the severity and the symptoms of her mental illness, and it paints a picture of a person who is very seriously ill, and who has had paranoid and delusional thinking going way back.

I do agree that she knew what she was doing and that she knew that others would think it's wrong, but there's still a question in my mind about whether she may have thought it was the right thing to do for her kids.

But then there's also her motivation for hurting Parker and getting revenge - and that's a serious obstacle to the insanity defense.

Detectives shouldn't have interviewed her in the state she was in. I'm surprised that interview was not suppressed.

The defense tried and failed.

I still don't know how manipulative this woman is. I know she is extremely intelligent and was in a high stress job as an interrogator.

Yes I think she is mentally ill but I wonder if she didn't exaggerate the craziness with some of her answers to LE and doctors.

In most cases, a person might hide an episode of psychosis for a few minutes or a few hours, but over a period of time, a lay person would notice there was some kind of problem.

What type of behavior? Depends on type of psychotic symptom -- for instance, if hallucinating, one might be observed talking to someone not there. If delusional belief -- might not be noticed in a brief interaction -- but in a prolonged exposure, they would probably express their delusional belief.

Even though JS should have been hospitalized, she retained the capacity to know what she was doing, and its consequences.

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 38s
Uh oh. Pros are calling 3rd doc looking for him now in lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer