GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild About Trial ‏@WildAboutTrial 18s
#JulieSchenecker Jury's Options: 1st degree murder/2nd degree murder/Manslaughter or Not Guilty by reason of insanity.

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 2m
Charges are 1st deg murder of Calyx or lesser crimes of 2nd deg murder or manslaughter #JulieSchenecker

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 9s
Second charge of 1st deg murder of Beau or lesser charge of 2nd deg murder or manslaughter #JulieSchenecker

:sick:

What is this sick feeling forming in the pit of my stomach ? ...The truth?

"evil intent" is part of 1st degree murder. JS said so herself.

Is there a place to sign up for cel phone notification when verdict comes in?

If they find her not guilty, does it have to be for reason of insanity?

I mean, obviously just a plain not guilty would mean the jury was insane, as she pretty obviously did it. So logically I can see how that would be their options. But could they, conceivably, legally go against all evidence and common sense and find her just plain not guilty?

Or has she somehow legally conceded that a plain 'not guilty' cannot happen, even if the jury goes insane in mass, by putting forth an insanity defense?

If they find her not guilty, does it have to be for reason of insanity?

I mean, obviously just a plain not guilty would mean the jury was insane, as she pretty obviously did it. So logically I can see how that would be their options. But could they, conceivably, legally go against all evidence and common sense and find her just plain not guilty?

Or has she somehow legally conceded that a plain 'not guilty' cannot happen, even if the jury goes insane in mass, by putting forth an insanity defense?

no, I do not believe so... she already admitted she did it.

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 39s
Judge made a correction on manslaughter charge in jury instruction #JulieSchenecker

I find it strange that the defense attorney already seems to have distanced herself. jmo

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 30s
I think it was proven that #JulieSchenecker actually possessed a fire arm...carried a fire arm on her person or had one in immediate reach

If she's found guilty, then I think her treatment would be determined by the State penal system, not the judge -- but I might be wrong.
ETA: OK, found this link -- apparently the judge can take her mental illness into consideration as a "mitigating circumstance"
http://www.blakedorstenlaw.com/departure-hearings.html

"Florida Statute §921.0026, entitled "Mitigating Circumstances," provides a useful list of factors that the sentencing Court can consider when determining whether or not to "depart" from the sentencing guidelines on any given case. Subsection (2) states as follows:
....d) The defendant requires specialized treatment for a mental disorder that is unrelated to substance abuse or addiction or for a physical disability, and the defendant is amenable to treatment."

If she's found not guilty, then I believe there's a committee that would determine if she's to be hospitalized or receive outpatient treatment. There's a link around here somewhere -- will try to find and post it again.

ETA: here's link http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/916.15

"916.15 Involuntary commitment of defendant adjudicated not guilty by reason of insanity.—
(1) The determination of whether a defendant is not guilty by reason of insanity shall be determined in accordance with Rule 3.217, Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure.
(2) A defendant who is acquitted of criminal charges because of a finding of not guilty by reason of insanity may be involuntarily committed pursuant to such finding if the defendant has a mental illness and, because of the illness, is manifestly dangerous to himself or herself or others.
(3) Every defendant acquitted of criminal charges by reason of insanity and found to meet the criteria for involuntary commitment may be committed and treated in accordance with the provisions of this section and the applicable Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure. The department shall admit a defendant so adjudicated to an appropriate facility or program for treatment and shall retain and treat such defendant. No later than 6 months after the date of admission, prior to the end of any period of extended commitment, or at any time the administrator or designee shall have determined that the defendant no longer meets the criteria for continued commitment placement, the administrator or designee shall file a report with the court pursuant to the applicable Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure.
(4) In all proceedings under this section, both the defendant and the state shall have the right to a hearing before the committing court. Evidence at such hearing may be presented by the hospital administrator or the administrator’s designee as well as by the state and the defendant. The defendant shall have the right to counsel at any such hearing. In the event that a defendant is determined to be indigent pursuant to s. 27.52, the public defender shall represent the defendant. The parties shall have access to the defendant’s records at the treating facilities and may interview or depose personnel who have had contact with the defendant at the treating facilities."

Thank you for finding this! :yourock:

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 24s
If jury finds #JulieSchenecker not guilty by reason of insanity, she will be committed to a mental health facility

I don't see that really - maybe that's how she always made purchases. Or she could have paid with cash

Many couples have joint AND separate CC accounts.
Try buying a weapon with a CC in someone else's name. Even if you're an authorized signer. Not going to happen.
It seems pretty clear that PS wasn't tracking any of her purchases on any card anyway.

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee 23s
Judge If the doubt is reasonable, you must find the defendant not guilty, if you have no doubt you should find defendant guilty

scary and creepy guy....gotta be painful--gotta be

We had a guy here in Tulsa, Oklahoma who had tats and the horns too. Arresting for trying to run his neighbor over with his mom's minivan. :floorlaugh: a minivan-the tool of the devil.

Can you believe there are two of them running around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley