GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #7

:scared:

Just saw your post. Any of the drugs can and do effect the liver and kidneys the most but certainly have impact on all of the organs, including the nervous system - this would be physical. As far as the mental effects, they would be closely tied to nervous system effects, slowed thinking, sleepiness, tremors, altered walking pattern for a few. The benefit has to be carefully weighed against the side effects. Psych drugs can effect different people differently. Psych meds are probably the hardest to regulate.

Lay person here, but our son, who is not bipolar, was on a lot of the same meds as Julie. Initially, due to Epilepsy (some of the same meds -- Lamictal, the drugs in the benzodiazepine family, etc. are also used for seizure disorder). He had (and still has) most of the effects Isabelle mentioned above -- liver damage, slowed thinking, memory problems, tremors, altered walking (he now has to a wheelchair part of the time), he has terrible problems with speech -- trying to retrieve words, or remember how to say them - plus, some of the drugs (specifically Trileptal, Diazepam, and Keppra) triggered violence and self harming (banging his head on the wall, sticking his fingers in the fan) -- and then he was put on anti-psychotics (Abilify, Haldol, Prozac, etc.) to treat the aggression -- these drugs lowered his seizure threshhold, and he started having seizures again -- it was just horrible. It just seemed like the doctors piled up one med after another until he was virtually catatonic. It was like -- if one drug doesn't work -- rather than take it out and add a new one in -- they just wanted to keep adding more and more drugs, which causes all sorts of health problems (I kind of noticed the same thing was going on with Julie)

Fortunately, we were finally able to find a better doc, who has a more moderate approach -- things aren't great, but they're better. It's almost a full-time job keeping on top of all the meds and appointments and therapies and everything -- sometimes overwhelming -- always afraid I'll make a mistake with the dosage or forget a dose or something. I don't know how someone who's mentally ill and in a fog some of the time manages it on their own.

Lay person here, but our son, who is not bipolar, was on a lot of the same meds as Julie. Initially, due to Epilepsy (some of the same meds -- Lamictal, the drugs in the benzodiazepine family, etc. are also used for seizure disorder). He had (and still has) most of the effects Isabelle mentioned above -- liver damage, slowed thinking, memory problems, tremors, altered walking (he now has to a wheelchair part of the time), he has terrible problems with speech -- trying to retrieve words, or remember how to say them - plus, some of the drugs (specifically Trileptal, Diazepam, and Keppra) triggered violence and self harming (banging his head on the wall, sticking his fingers in the fan) -- and then he was put on anti-psychotics (Abilify, Haldol, Prozac, etc.) to treat the aggression -- these drugs lowered his seizure threshhold, and he started having seizures again -- it was just horrible. It just seemed like the doctors piled up one med after another until he was virtually catatonic. It was like -- if one drug doesn't work -- rather than take it out and add a new one in -- they just wanted to keep adding more and more drugs, which causes all sorts of health problems (I kind of noticed the same thing was going on with Julie)

Fortunately, we were finally able to find a better doc, who has a more moderate approach -- things aren't great, but they're better. It's almost a full-time job keeping on top of all the meds and appointments and therapies and everything -- sometimes overwhelming -- always afraid I'll make a mistake with the dosage or forget a dose or something. I don't know how someone who's mentally ill and in a fog some of the time manages it on their own.

Big hugs Abigail!

Your honor - I'm prepared and I accept your sentence.

I apologize to everybody in this courtroom who I've broken, for the lives I have destroyed. And not just this courtroom -- anybody who knew our family, Calyx and Beau, our children's friends, teachers, coaches, our relatives...everyone has been so deeply affected, and I understand. There are people who have been affected by this that may have just read about it in the paper. For the children who wonder, "Mommy are you ever going to shoot me?"

I apologize for what happened, what I did, I take responsibility. I was there. I know I shot my son and daughter. I don't know why.

Your honor, the judicial system in the U.S. is the best in the world. (indistinct)...I'm proud to stand in front of you. (indistinct)..and to serve my country...(indistinct)...I'm an American fighting man...and I'm prepared to give my life in their defense

I trust and I believe in you...you run a great court...I thank my attorneys who supported me so well, and put in many many hours on this case. I will never be able to repay...but to say thank you.

Thank you to the entire American judicial system. I am not playing, your honor -- that is heartfelt.

I know our children are in Heaven.. I want people to try to find comfort, as I do, that they are in no pain, and they are alive and enjoying everything and anything Heaven has to offer. Jesus protecting them and keeping them safe until we get there.

That's all your honor.

How come she always says shoot my kids instead of killed my kids? It's like she doesn't want to accept she killed/ murdered them.

How come she always says shoot my kids instead of killed my kids? It's like she doesn't want to accept she killed/ murdered them.

she said she "offed" beau.

she also threatened her husband. so yeah she knows what she did and thank all things Holy she is going where she is going to get some more help or at least not be a threat to anyone else.

oh and she also said that Beau put up a "good fight"

makes me sick even to type that!

I just knew :blushing: they wouldn't come back with a verdict this fast. I thought surely it would be tomorrow. Sooooooooo I go out and work in my flowerbeds until just now and I missed it all!:tantrum:

I am not stunned that they found her Guilty because I had a good feeling this jury would follow the law.

But I am stunned that they must not have bought one word the DT had to say.

So glad that justice was served for Caylx and Beau!

When they went in to deliberate the first thing you do is take a vote to see where everyone stands. They must have all voted unanimously murder one when polled that's why this went so quick.

Great jury!! I believe that was the correct verdict in this case.

that journal done her in

It wasn't just the journals but of course it gave them a glimpse into her mind and how she was planning all of this out.

I think what really got them was the shot to the mouth to both children. THAT shows such hatred, resentment, revenge, and rage. That is not an act someone does to children they say they were trying to 'save."

She wasn't trying to save them. She was trying her best to demean and murder them, and shut them up, and hurt the man who had stood by her for almost 20 years.

When she shot them both in the mouth for being mouthy she left a strong message of hate, anger, and rage.

IMO

When they went in to deliberate the first thing you do is take a vote to see where everyone stands. They must have all voted unanimously murder one when polled that's why this went so quick.

Great jury!! I believe that was the correct verdict in this case.

I know I should have waited to see if they returned a verdict today.

I have been a juror five times in my lifetime. We never came to a verdict this fast so it caught me off guard. Thank goodness for video footage though and now I have been able to watch it all.:)

Justice was served today for Calyx and Beau.

Now Parker lives on through his memories of his beautiful children.:heart:

I just want to thank those that tweeted updates and typed updates.

Thanks to those that shared their MI or those that live with someone with MI.
For those of you that felt uncomfortable about sharing your MI my thoughts are with you and everyone.

I know at times it seemed a little intense in the beginning for me anyway. As other's have stated WS is the best place to talk about cases and share our thoughts.

We also have the Very Best Mods in the Whole World of Forums! :loveyou:

It wasn't just the journals but of course it gave them a glimpse into her mind and how she was planning all of this out.

I think what really got them was the shot to the mouth to both children. THAT shows such hatred, resentment, revenge, and rage. That is not an act someone does to children they say they were trying to 'save."

She wasn't trying to save them. She was trying her best to demean and murder them, and shut them up, and hurt the man who had stood by her for almost 20 years.

When she shot them both in the mouth for being mouthy she left a strong message of hate, anger, and rage.

IMO

there was a ton of evidence but both jurors I have heard said journal right away....it was such concrete insight into her mind and detailed. I think people like this seem to write journals...look at JA...I think CA did too.

I think it is sort of pathetic that no family member maybe pleaded for some mental health help or going to a mental institution. Or I thought her statement might be something about that. I am also shocked that not one juror took the insanity possiblity even to a point of extended debate...I mean that was lightening speed. Her statement left me very cold...like her kids are in a better place...is that going to make anyone feel better? She implied that are doing great...her statement told me so mentally ill

I have long read that cases can be won or lost in closing arguments.

The defense was no match for the DA in their closing. They basically said the same repetitive things they did when cross examining.

But the DA laid out his case so clear and concise. Everything became perfectly clear and I think it did for the jurors too.

The DA just had overwhelming evidence showing she wasn't insane at the time she committed these murders.

And the jury had already sworn to uphold the law. The law is very clear so I knew if they adhered to the law then they would have no problem finding her Guilty of M1.

All the defense had was really hired experts who even made normal everyday thoughts into delusions. I think the defense experts lost the jury when they said that anyone who murders their children has to be mentally insane. Any attorney must be very careful not to insult the jury's intelligence for if they do.. it can backfire on them big time.

The truth won out today.

IMO

My thoughts on this case:

JS shot the children in a haze of drugs, alcohol, MI and rage. After she shot BS she "had" to shoot CS because she would have found out. After shooting CS, all the anger/adrenaline was gone. She didn't have the guts to kill herself. So she journaled and drank and drugged to get up the courage. Still couldn't do it. Ended up passing out on the patio.

During her allocution I never heard her speak her ex-husband's name. He is the one who was hurt the most by this. I think she still despises him (her behavior throughout the divorce is further evidence of this).

May we all be free of animosity, free of oppression, free from trouble, and may we all know the grace of well-being.

there was a ton of evidence but both jurors I have heard said journal right away....it was such concrete insight into her mind and detailed. I think people like this seem to write journals...look at JA...I think CA did too.

Yes, and they mentioned the shot to the mouth and how horrific the photos were. Being a juror myself before I have had to look at the most gruesome crime scene, and autopsy photos, but thank God I have never had to look at photos of a child victim much less two children.

The photos will leave the most impact. You never can get it out of your mind. It is there to stay forever even when you don't want it to.........

In the journal she talks about shooting them in the mouth because they were mouthy. Reading it is one thing...........looking at the actual photo of the wound is totally different. It brings it all home as to how much rage, hatred, and resentment she truly had for her very own children.

IMO

My thoughts on this case:

JS shot the children in a haze of drugs, alcohol, MI and rage. After she shot BS she "had" to shoot CS because she would have found out. After shooting CS, all the anger/adrenaline was gone. She didn't have the guts to kill herself. So she journaled and drank and drugged to get up the courage. Still couldn't do it. Ended up passing out on the patio.

During her allocution I never heard her speak her ex-husband's name. He is the one who was hurt the most by this. I think she still despises him (her behavior throughout the divorce is further evidence of this).

May we all be free of animosity, free of oppression, free from trouble, and may we all know the grace of well-being.

Maybe she blames Parker for all of this. I feel sorry for her sister she was really broken up crying. JS sure ruined a lot of lives. My sister and are very close. This would be very painful to see a family member go away for life. Even though you get to visit not the same as doing things together.

This is so sad all around. I pray that God helps JS because she has a very sick brain. MI is a chemical imbalance. Having MI is not her fault. Its a disease just like cancer and having a brain tumor. At times its hard to make clear and rational decisions and judgements when your brained messed up.

God does forgive if you ask for forgiveness. I hope JS asks to be forgiven. I will be saying prayers tonight for Calyx, Beau, Parker, Julie and all their family members. There are no winners here.

At least she cried real genuine tears, some convicted killers never cry and apologize.

OMG - there's already a verdict?! I was just checking in to see if there were any juror questions or anything!

Is anyone else as confused as I am that not one friend or family member (not including PS) was on the stand for the DT ??

Gonna be an appeal based on the alternate yapping :facepalm:

Yeah, and since the judge went ahead and read the verdict, she can't be tried again if there is a successful appeal.

Kind of doubt it will get much traction since it was an alternate juror who did not deliberate and he may just be speculating about what other jurors thought.

Yeah, and since the judge went ahead and read the verdict, she can't be tried again if there is a successful appeal.

Kind of doubt it will get much traction since it was an alternate juror who did not deliberate and he may just be speculating about what other jurors thought.

whoa!!

you mean she would be able to walk?

Thank you, jury! Was so worried that the MI defense would sway some of you....instead of seeing her for what she is! Mean!

I am thankful for this verdict and justice being served.

Parker, his mother, and Calyx & Beau's friends as well as extended family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

May Calyx & Beau rest in peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back