GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #7

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 5m
Foreman in #JulieSchenecker trial says first vote was 11- 1 guilty. One juror voting for insanity.

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 5m
Foreman juror in #JulieSchenecker trial says jurors had verdict decided in 30 minutes into deliberations

I remember the one juror that said he/she could consider insanity and I know JS was so happy he/she got on ...maybe that was the one...did not take long to change and the right thing...a hung jury would have really been not in anyone's best interest.

Any links to Madison interview? I can't find it.

After hearing her statement before sentencing I don't think she should have been prosecuted; since her arrest she's been under better managed medical care (no ability to miss her meds, pick and choose them or mix them with alcohol, etc) and she still had a hard time stringing together two coherent sentences. Even the judge seemed to get it, no tongue lashing before handing down the sentence, he actually seemed a little choked up. The prosecutors and her family (including Parker) should have insisted on a lifetime commitment to a mental institution instead of a trial, I suppose the DA didn't think she deserved a hospital over a prison infirmary but in my opinion it would have been the right thing to do.

I do hope the judge looks into the statements made by the alternate juror, and turaj, yes, he dismissed all of the alternates, not just the one who spoke right away.

I so wish what you wanted could be possible. The fact is, there is no plea deal in the world where a person could put themselves independently in a mental health facility voluntarily for the rest of their lives.

There is such a severe shortage of mental health beds that even people who are dangerous to themselves or others can have to wait for a bed to be available.

Here is just one rather dramatic example:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/26/politics/creigh-deeds-attack/

Less than 24 hours before the November 19 stabbing, Deeds' son had undergone an evaluation by mental health professionals while he was under an emergency custody order.

Officials reportedly had to release Gus, 24, because no psychiatric bed was available and an individual could only be held under emergency custody for up to six hours.

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 1m
Foreman Charles Madison talks abt #JulieSchenecker motive for murders @5&6 on Fox 13 news

Gloria Gomez, FOX 13 ‏@ggome13 28s
Foreman juror says some jurors wanted free dinner b4 leaving deliberations but foreman said"I'll buy u dinner so we can go home" more @5

WTH

I so wish what you wanted could be possible. The fact is, there is no plea deal in the world where a person could put themselves independently in a mental health facility voluntarily for the rest of their lives.

There is such a severe shortage of mental health beds that even people who are dangerous to themselves or others can have to wait for a bed to be available.

Here is just one rather dramatic example:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/26/politics/creigh-deeds-attack/

That was such a sad case and there the father did everything he could and the system was so flawed...after they found out that there were two beds available not too far...

I think rather than talking about problems all over the world the media should talk about this stuff and some serious funding for more "beds" and training of staff that do more than just keep passing these people around should be initiated right now. Maybe Deeds will get something moving.

Foreman juror says some jurors wanted free dinner b4 leaving deliberations but foreman said"I'll buy u dinner so we can go home" more @5

WTH

OMG, seriously? Did they spend more time looking at a menu or deciding this case?

WTH

:loveyou: love that foreman ===

I think all jurors should keep their traps shut after a verdict. When they talk, their every word will be scrutinized for a possible ground for appeal.

That was such a sad case and there the father did everything he could and the system was so flawed...after they found out that there were two beds available not too far...

I think rather than talking about problems all over the world the media should talk about this stuff and some serious funding for more "beds" and training of staff that do more than just keep passing these people around should be initiated right now. Maybe Deeds will get something moving.

It is a huge problem, could cite many examples that have touched my life but this is not the place. Lately I have become more aware of adult MI attacking their parents. Self medicating almost always involved too.

I clicked on the new "VERDICT WATCH" thread, and was floored to read the Guilty verdict had been handed down yesterday, along with the concurrent life sentences.

Thank you to my fellow WSers, who have posted tweets, links, and shared your valued insight (personal and professional) on a case that was polarizing at times.

As a healthcare professional, I have learned SO much leading up to and during this trial. MI has played a role throughout my life peripherally, and is a major focus in my studies, so I see both sides.

Beau and Calyx have joined the many Forever Angels of the cases we sleuth/follow here at Websleuths, gone too soon, their lives extinguished, their promise unfulfilled.

My heart aches for their surviving family members who must find a way to go on without them. I hold them in my prayers. :praying:

:heartluv: Fly High Calyx and Beau :heartluv:
:candle: :rose: :rose: :candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTH

:facepalm:

OMG, seriously? Did they spend more time looking at a menu or deciding this case?

and this was the foreman? I find what he is saying sort of sad but worse that he did not keep this among them and would say it to media? And frankly the alternate walked down the street talking about this like it was a common robbery gone wrong..".yep two people killed.....it is what it is.....gotta find my car."..I guess we are all different.

This must be tough stuff for the defense attorneys to hear after working all these years...took less than 30 min. and maybe they should just stay for the free dinner. Wow

I clicked on the new "VERDICT WATCH" thread, and was floored to read the Guilty verdict had been handed down yesterday, along with the concurrent life sentences.

Thank you to my fellow WSers, who have posted tweets, links, and shared your valued insight (personal and professional) on a case that was polarizing at times.

As a healthcare professional, I have learned SO much leading up to and during this trial. MI has played a role throughout my life peripherally, and is a major focus in my studies, so I see both sides.

Beau and Calyx have joined the many Forever Angels of the cases we sleuth/follow here at Websleuths, gone too soon, their lives extinguished, their promise unfulfilled.

My heart aches for their surviving family members who must find a way to go on without them. I hold them in my prayers. :praying:

:heartluv: Fly High Calyx and Beau :heartluv:
:candle: :rose: :rose: :candle:

What a lovely, lovely post...:seeya:

turaj.......agree with you regarding the ''indiscretion'' of airing the foreman's comments to the public. Truth is when working in teams it is hard to reign in all involved to focus on the task at hand. Have been amazed by some adults who just can't focus on the task at hand. Some folks have to have a cold drink, pee break, or junk food to stuff into their mouths at all times ((let's not even get to the need a cig moment too)).

I do not doubt for a moment that they were all tired hungry and tuckered out...the foreman - bless his heart - gotta love him for his answer.

wanted to add -- am completely dumbfounded by the prevalence of abandonment issues when folks are separated from their tablets, Iphones or cells too -- remember the bailiff had those too while they were deliberating.

Based on Florida Law, I agree too. There really was no other option. I also echo those that posted about Georgia Law having the option of Guilty but Insane possibly being added to other stae's statutes. It was clear to me that JS is very Mentally Ill and needs to remain in a structured environment where she can get the help she needs and her meds monitored. In prison, she does not have the option to self medicate nor be non compliant.

This has been such a sad case. Those children did not deserve to die, especially at the hands of their mother. God Rest their souls and may the Powers and Schenecker Families find some peace. JMV

To clarify -The legal option in Georgia is guilty and mentally ill (vs guilty and insane ). This helps to ensure treatment once incarcerated - which I suspect many would want for the likes of Julie.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I believe she had that option but choose to enter a not guilty...

I think the State decides which prison the inmate will be housed in.

IIRC - Casey was turned over immediately to corrections and that department decided where she went . Moo / iirc

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back