CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekend?

Why are we not getting any status on the ones in hospital? Type injuries, etc etc it has been hours guys? NOthing

Price $650 - $765 In that setting it is x2 so min 1300 - his was four rooms so it would be x4
that is why it is decent!

I think that we have victims (might even be the majority) who were studying here from other countries. It's going to take longer.

Someone who's friend lived there said that the walls don't even go all the way to the ceiling. That he could hear everything and there was no privacy.
The largest apartment is only 2 bedrooms with 2 twin beds in each room for 4 roommates to share.
The rooms look really small too!
http://capriiv.com/gallery

"they turn the living room into another bedroom with sliding doors. You dont really get a lot of privacy because you can see over the top and easily hear through"
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...a-barbara/1159926-capri-apartments-in-iv.html

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

I happen to read his manifesto and I notice some themes.

-Poor relationship with stepmother and to some lesser extent the father.
-Good relationship with mother
-Extreme sense of entitlement
-Inferior and superior complex
-Resentful when he does not get attention
-Distorted image of self and others
-Chooses to be loner as consumed by anger

BBM I didn't get the impression that he thought very highly of his own mother at all. Oh, he knew how to work her! But, it did not appear to me that he had any respect for her at all.

He called her selfish when she wouldn't marry that rich man for HIM and he really resented her for that. There were some other things that he said that made me feel this way, but I don't remember the exact situation, but he really laid it on thick that she was trying to get rid of him by sending him to College, wanting him to get a job, etc...

I've had my son hospitalized three times and he is currently in residential treatment. We do not have near the resources that ER's parents have. When you have a child with a mental health issue, you have a responsibility to get them treatment. As long as my child is in my care, I will do everything to get him every opportunity to learn coping skills and get the in-depth psychiatric care that he needs. Hospitalization is a tool--especially in wealthy communities. ER describes "tantrums" all the way into his adult years. Everyone of these "tantrums" were probably missed opportunities to have him hospitalized. If he was defiant and throwing tantrums as a teen, he was probably displaying some kind of violent or threatening behavior. His parents could have called the hospital and asked for him to be admitted to psych. I think they spent years and years minimizing his behavior until it was too late. They aren't to blame. ER is to blame. BUT we as a society have got to stop acting like these kinds of things are just inevitable...like oh well, what can we do, some people are just secretly psycho! I think most of the time there are plenty of warning signs (not just in hind-site) and people just minimize or are in denial. JMO

From the hotpads link above:

Welcome to Capri Apartments where comfort and convenience combine to provide you the best in affordable student housing. Perfectly situated in the heart of Isla Vista, California, you'll discover everything you need and love is conveniently close to home! Our warm and inviting apartment community is set among a peaceful residential neighborhood surrounded by every recreational activity available. Minutes from the University of California, Santa Barbara and Santa Barbara City College, Capri Apartments is the ideal place for students.

Inside [ER]’s Twisted World: manifesto outlines killer’s plans for ‘retribution’ before drive-by shooting

... The 22-year-old sent a 140-page document via email to his parents — as well as a dozen others — just before the shootings began, ...

Rodger’s mother, Lichin, who saw the e-mail at 9.17pm, immediately went to Rodger’s YouTube page ... saw her son’s latest video, called “Retribution,” ... called Rodger’s father, Peter, and said he had to watch the YouTube video ... Lichin Rodger called 911, and the parents set off for Santa Barbara from Los Angeles, ...

En route, they heard there was a shooting. Later that night, they found out their son was behind the violence. ...

http://www.news.com.au/world/inside...driveby-shooting/story-fndir2ev-1226930461475

ER named so many people in his manifesto, mostly kids he hated, was jealous of, bullied him. He mentioned some friends that distanced themselves from him. Full names. I can't imagine what the impact, of being written about in a manifesto by someone who killed 9 kids, is going to have on all of those young adults. This is just so tragic on so many levels.

Media does three mental illnesses. Bipolar, Schizophrenia and recently PTSD. This is our bible. It is what we use to diagnosis, it is what insurance companies use to pay . Guys, it is 991 pages of mental illnesses.

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5 Paperback – May
Paperback $113.24

........used by clinicians and researchers to diagnose and classify mental disorders, is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health.

just like on the police scanners, all the codes and stuff, it a language for them. Same for us.

used by clinicians and researchers to diagnose and classify mental disorders, is the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health........

creates a common language for clinicians involved in the diagnosis of mental disorders, includes concise and specific criteria intended to facilitate an objective assessment of symptom presentations in a variety of clinical settings inpatient, outpatient, partial hospital, consultation-liaison, clinical, private practice, and primary care...

.......most definitive resource for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders.

http://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Statistical-Manual-Mental-Disorders/dp/0890425558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401067236&sr=1-1&keywords=dsm.

From this manual we develop 5 areas. They are called Axis. On the first Axis we diagnose a mental illness that is like the main deal unless they next level (in Er case Axis 2 will be the main deal) ,, the main focus. . On Axis two: (not all will have an Axis two Axis two is the personality disorders and for brevity (!) it is about childhood and how that impacts the way we behave and developmental issues (ER) . (I.e. Jody would be a Borderline Personality Disorder, Luka a Narcisstic Personality Disorder. Etc).

For me , in Er case I would have no need to be concerned about his Axis 1 - because his Axis 2 issues are so problematic that they must be the sole focus of treatment - Autism Spectrum .
. It would be of no benefit with ER to discuss his "perceptions" about dating because his perceptions are totally influenced by his other issues . Axis three: is like pure medical things that may complicate the clients life. Axis four: are the stressors the individual is experiencing ( divorce, financial, living arrangement etc). Axis five: is a numerical “rating” 1 =100 on how overall, in the whole big picture, the client is functioning
There are 991 pages of criteria to help us get the diagnosis narrowed down.
Here is what they look like:
[FONT=&quot]Axis I [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]296.23 Major Depressive Disorder, Single Episode, Severe Without Psychotic Features[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]305.00 Alcohol Abuse[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Axis II [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 301.6 Dependent Personality Disorder Frequent use of denial[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Axis III [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]None[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Axis IV [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Threat of job loss[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Axis V [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GAF = 35 (current)[/FONT]

I think Cariis is speaking about Spectrum Disorders, i.e. this case it is a high-functioning Asperger's.

Thank you!

So, just to get this clear in my mind, he was diagnosed with Asperger's? Or this is an assumption?

I believe it was reported that his roommate's are from Asia. So police has to find and notify their parents first, and it might not be easy as they are not local and in another country.

This one seem to have been both the injustice collector and grudge holder.
Taking revenge on society in which he didn't fit.

He did state he didnt forget or forgive.

IMO They sent him away so they would not have to deal with him and his tantrums. They unleashed a mentally disturbed adult without supervision around the very people that made his anger boil over. After the broken legs incident when police did not pursue charges against those he said attacked him that should have been a big red flag to his family. Even his grandmother in England knew he was a very disturbed young man. IMO Hiring people to help him socialize was a little too late by that time. It is a shame that those he tried to throw off the balcony did not have him arrested. IMO I do not think either parent gave his problems any attention at all until it was too late. It seemed like his mom and dad were both wrapped up in their own life. I wish more info would come out all I have read is his side.

ER named so many people in his manifesto, mostly kids he hated, was jealous of, bullied him. He mentioned some friends that distanced themselves from him. Full names. I can't imagine what the impact, of being written about in a manifesto by someone who killed 9 kids, is going to have on all of those young adults. This is just so tragic on so many levels.

I feel horrible for all those named too, but at the same time, I will say that none of them should feel guilty about any of this! They did nothing wrong! If anything they are victims too!

I think the person I have the most sympathy for (outside of those killed and injured physically) is the step-mother. She really was the ONLY one who seen something wrong with his behavior and did anything about it. Oh, he hated her for it too. I could tell how he looked down on her just by his words to describe her home country and the people of Morocco, but she was the ONLY one to try and use real consequences for his behavior.

He very much wanted to kill her and his little brother! The only good thing about this entire tragedy is that he didn't.

Here is what I don't get about this kid. I get that mental illness can be a HUGE issue. I realize this guy had one or more. Are these recent postings from him the very first sign of all of this violence and malice? This is one, mean, nasty angry guy.

So he was diagnosed with several disorders. Yet he never, in the process of these diagnosis presented as being dangerous or violent? I'm not trying to throw blame at anyone here, IMO the blame is squarely on the shoulders of this young man.

Perhaps someone here with excellent sleuthing abilities can find what this guy was putting out there when he was 18? 16? maybe even 14? The internet is forever and I'm sure there is more out there.

Maybe he was a perfect psychopath/sociopath that was able to fool everyone like he did the officers that were sent to him. There must be something, some warning something evident. It scares the crapola out of me knowing that there could be more like him festering out there.

So now, if you are bullied, it's an excuse (cavet that it is never right to bully anyone and anyone that does such a thing sucks) because you can't get laid, because you're weird, it's an excuse?!?!? I have known and been friends with plenty of guys who most people would think are "weird" but I thought they were very awesome for a number of qualities that they had. I know for a fact one of them is still a virgin pressing 40. He hasn't killed anyone. WTH.

ALWAYS MOO

:dunno: What is it that jumps out to you as being beyond a typical dorm situation? TIA

Is this complex a dorm? By dorm, I mean connected to the university. To me it just sounds like an apartment complex for college students that might use students to manage the place. If ER's parent's attorney mis-spoke about the "group living situation that teaches life skills" and there really was a group home situation within the complex, I would think this could be a problem for the complex. If my child was a student living at this facility I would want to know about any special group living situation to help make a decision as to where I would want my child to live.

We have quite a number of group homes in our area, most of them single homes. Complexes that offer group home living do so throughout the entire apartment complex.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElliotRodger/videos

I hope this is alright to post, please remove mods if not.

By accident last night I found Elliot Rodger's Youtube channel. Mainly all vids of him cruising around in his car, one from 2011 of his friends. He definitely was delusional and living in a fantasy world, but violence to come is just so disturbing.
I'm so sorry for the families of the victims, they're suffering for the misguided rage of a narcissistic psychopath! jmo :(

IMO They sent him away so they would not have to deal with him and his tantrums. They unleashed a mentally disturbed adult without supervision around the very people that made his anger boil over. After the broken legs incident when police did not pursue charges against those he said attacked him that should have been a big red flag to his family. Even his grandmother in England knew he was a very disturbed young man. IMO Hiring people to help him socialize was a little too late by that time. It is a shame that those he tried to throw off the balcony did not have him arrested. IMO I do not think either parent gave his problems any attention at all until it was too late. It seemed like his mom and dad were both wrapped up in their own life. I wish more info would come out all I have read is his side.

I would suspect that his family feared him.
I am still a little surprised he didn't attempt to kill one or some of them as well.
He may have decided allowing them to live would be more distressing to them in light of what he planned to do.

I also wonder why he did it a day earlier.
I imagine he didn't check his entitled calendar to verify what day the last day of school was.

IMO he looks like he has been drinking and taking xanax together- but what do I know?

All posts are my opinion only. Sent via Tapatalk

According to his manifesto, After the police visit, he took down most of his YouTube videos and had to postpone his rampage for a month, from 4/24 to 5/24. Something prompted him to act on 5/23.
I believe that the SB City College commencement was on Friday the 23rd. Presumably his roommates whether they were graduating or not might have been leaving soon to go home to China. UCSB is still in session with graduation in June.

The police did pursue the incident with the broken ankle. ER lied to them! ER went to that party and attacked, I believe it was two, women! He tried to push them off a ledge and the men came to the women's defense and pushed him off the ledge and his ankle popped when he landed on it.

ER stumbled away only to realize that his Gucci sunglasses were missing and in his drunken stupor went to a completely different house and started a confrontation with another group of men. He claims the second group of men assaulted him too (I don't know if I believe that).

He then claims that people did break it up and even a girl helped him walk to the corner. Guess what? He was mad that the girl didn't take him home and comfort him... sexually!

ETA: I totally misread your post. I thought you were saying that police should have pursued charges, but what you were saying is that it should have been a huge red flag to his parents when police wouldn't pursue charges. So sorry.

I do agree that the mother did send him away to get rid of him. I believe the father and ER were not on speaking terms at this time, but he agreed to help out financially.

Let's not confuse mental illness with personality disorder. I don't believe he had a mental illness. He had multiple personality disorders. The former can be treated with medication. The latter cannot be treated and cannot be cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DNALab4U