Ricki Lake's Quest To Legalize Medicinal Marijuana

Patience

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.etonline.com/news/146897_ricki_lake_quest_to_legalize_medical_marijuana/
ET Special Correspondent Jay Williams sits down with Ricki Lake for a one-on-one interview about her new controversial documentary project, Weed The People, for which she also serves as Executive Producer.
Ricki is currently using her celebrity to get the word out about the film which chronicles the underground world of cannabis medicine and reveals the healing potential of the plant.
"I'm certainly not encouraging drug use," Ricki explains to Jay. "I am very clear I am not an expert, I am not a doctor. I am a mother and I'm someone who cares about people and I'm on this quest to learn more."
The project will also tell the story of new parents Tracy and Josh Ryan, who in July 2013, received the devastating news that their 8-month-old baby Sophie had an inoperable brain tumor. Tracy felt intuitively that western medicine alone would not be enough to save her daughter and after intensive research, the Ryans began Sophie on a regimen of medicinal cannabis oils. They have since learned that the tumor is actually dying and that there is no new growth.
"They are seeing unprecedented results using chemotherapy and cannabis at the same time," Ricki adds.
Still, Sophie's treatment is not legal on a federal level. Despite the fact that 21 states including Washington DC allow medical marijuana, there is still no accepted medical use.

http://www.etonline.com/news/146897_ricki_lake_quest_to_legalize_medical_marijuana/
ET Special Correspondent Jay Williams sits down with Ricki Lake for a one-on-one interview about her new controversial documentary project, Weed The People, for which she also serves as Executive Producer.
Ricki is currently using her celebrity to get the word out about the film which chronicles the underground world of cannabis medicine and reveals the healing potential of the plant.
"I'm certainly not encouraging drug use," Ricki explains to Jay. "I am very clear I am not an expert, I am not a doctor. I am a mother and I'm someone who cares about people and I'm on this quest to learn more."
The project will also tell the story of new parents Tracy and Josh Ryan, who in July 2013, received the devastating news that their 8-month-old baby Sophie had an inoperable brain tumor. Tracy felt intuitively that western medicine alone would not be enough to save her daughter and after intensive research, the Ryans began Sophie on a regimen of medicinal cannabis oils. They have since learned that the tumor is actually dying and that there is no new growth.
"They are seeing unprecedented results using chemotherapy and cannabis at the same time," Ricki adds.
Still, Sophie's treatment is not legal on a federal level. Despite the fact that 21 states including Washington DC allow medical marijuana, there is still no accepted medical use.

:goodpost: I wish we had an excellent post icon, I would use it here.

Medical Marijuana and Cannabis Oil are good tools to fight cancer. Just the relief I got during chemo and radiation treatment was beneficial.

I am sharing your link on my FB page, thanks so much for this thread. :)

Most thinking people realize that it is no worse than alcohol and in the cases where it brings relief from pain, cancer etc. it is far better. I hope the rest of the states get on the bandwagon (and that we in canada legalize it completely which should happen with the next election, the lib leader has called for it)

Medicinal marijuana has been legal in Louisiana for decades BUT in all that time there has NEVER been one single instance where a Louisiana resident was ever prescribed and obtained marijuana under that law!

Why? Because Louisiana has never set up the protocol, regulations and such for this to happen. Therefore doctors cannot prescribe it, people can not legally obtain and not one single person has ever benefited from this law.

In fact, Louisiana has some very strict laws about marijuana. Recently, a man was sentenced to life in prison for having marijuana while other have received other extremely harsh sentences.

Possession Incarceration Max. Fine

(first offense) 6 mos $ 500
(second offense) 5 years $ 2,500
(subsequent offense) 20 years $ 5,000

Distribution or Cultivation of Marijuana
Incarceration Fine
(first offense) 5* - 30 years $ 50,000
(subsequent offense) 10* - 60 years $ 100,000
To a minor 45 - 90 years $ 75,000

* Mandatory minimum sentence

Why is that? Well law enforcement and their cronies have a very vested interest in keeping marijuana illegal because it is a HUGE source of arrests and a great way to send people to prison. Louisiana has the highest rate of incarceration anywhere on earth (even third world countries).

Most states are looking to decrease their incarceration rate but Louisiana is looking to keep their steady and keep putting people in prison for minor crimes. This is because Louisiana has a very profitable system of "prisons for profit". These prisons are run by corporations or individuals and are quite lucrative for them. The corps make money, they give contracts to cronies for food services, phone service, offer cronies lucrative jobs, etc.

Other states are looking to decrease the prison population but Louisiana has contracted with these private prisons that they they will have a guaranteed 90% occupancy rate. They have to come up with prisoners somewhere and marijuana is a great way to do it. So cops, legislators and such are highly motivated to keep marijuana as a criminal offense. They are making a killing by keeping it illegal!!

I am sooooo tempted to put myself out there as a test case. I would love to enlist the help of a local group who is pushing for marijuana legalization and have them support me and help to set this up.

I would get prescribed some marijuana ( I have had seizures and have fibromyalgia so I would qualify). Then I would get some and get busted with it (Stepdaughter is a local cop, son in law is a state trooper so they could arrange it). I could easily pass a drug test showing that I do not have it in my system. I have no criminal past, never been arrested, have worked as a professional (retired public school teacher).

I believe that I would be a good test case to put forth. I have little to lose. I no longer work as a teacher and am self employed so i do not have to worry about getting fired. I am soo tempted to do this. Enough is enough. Legalize it!!

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_25450052/cbd-marijuana-oil-changing-game
A Colorado marijuana innovation is changing the way lawmakers in even the most conservative parts of the country talk about cannabis and is poised to create a rapid expansion in the number of states that have legalized marijuana in some way.

*snippet
The invention is a non-psychoactive oil made from marijuana plants that is used to treat children with severe seizure disorders. The oil is rich in a chemical called cannabidiol, or CBD, but is low in THC, the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Read more: Non-psychoactive CBD oil made from marijuana plants poised to be game-changer - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_25450052/cbd-marijuana-oil-changing-game#ixzz33IMAA641

http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/05/...a-oz-bessner-changed-minds-medical-pot/11705/
Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Dr. Mehmet Oz. Dr. Richard Besser.

What do these three highly visible medical professionals have in common? Sure, they’re all legit doctors who are also regularly on television — Gupta on CNN, Oz on his own syndicated show and Besser as ABC’s chief health and medical editor.

But perhaps more importantly, all three have made recent 180-degree turns and now stand in support of medical marijuana. How did all three of these doctors make such a swift shift in thinking? These doctors’ complete turnarounds are significant markers in this journey of legalization; whether it’s Gupta publicly apologizing or Besser flat-out saying, “I was wrong,” these are major reversals from world thought leaders.

Ever since the mid 70s, medical scientists have been well aware of the beneficial effects of cannabinoid compounds over cancerous cells. Thanks to modern science, over a dozen studies conducted during recent years have been able to partially reveal just how it works. Yet cannabis is still not endorsed by pharmaceutical companies as a cancer cure, and since it is not promoted through mainstream channels, very few people are aware of its benefits. Consequently, it is not sought after as an alternative to disfiguring chemotherapy and other harmful drugs. - See more at: http://www.wucnews.com/2013/10/cannabis-oil-is-highly-efficient.html#sthash.sil7DsK5.eHGerGRr.dpuf

http://phoenixtears.ca/

http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/rick-simpson.html
Someday the name "Rick Simpson" with be a household name. He will be known as the man who rediscovered the cure for cancer by everyone. Rick's journey to finding the cure for cancer starts back in 2003. In 2003 Rick was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma skin cancer. He had 3 spots of cancer on his body. 2 on his face and 1 on his neck. Rick's decision on how to handle this diagnosis would be world changing.

After not having much luck with surgery Rick decided to try something different. For almost a year Rick had been extracting the oil from the cannabis plant and ingesting it orally. He had been taking the oil for other health reasons but the cancer diagnosis reminded him of something and gave him an idea. He remembered a radio headline he heard almost 30 years earlier. The radio headline had stated that the University of Virginia had found the cannabinoid in cannabis THC could kill cancer in mice. He figured that if it kills cancer in mice it would kill his cancer too. - See more at: http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/rick-simpson.html#sthash.q4TacqqA.dpuf

Medicinal marijuana has been legal in Louisiana for decades BUT in all that time there has NEVER been one single instance where a Louisiana resident was ever prescribed and obtained marijuana under that law!

Why? Because Louisiana has never set up the protocol, regulations and such for this to happen. Therefore doctors cannot prescribe it, people can not legally obtain and not one single person has ever benefited from this law.

In fact, Louisiana has some very strict laws about marijuana. Recently, a man was sentenced to life in prison for having marijuana while other have received other extremely harsh sentences.

Incarceration Fine

Why is that? Well law enforcement and their cronies have a very vested interest in keeping marijuana illegal because it is a HUGE source of arrests and a great way to send people to prison. Louisiana has the highest rate of incarceration anywhere on earth (even third world countries).

Crash our economy as a crooked bankster....give yourself millions and millions in bonuses and never go to prison.

Raise one marijuana plant to help you cope with the nausea from chemo and go to jail for 30 years.

Why can't we fill those private prisons with banksters instead? After all they have caused far far more damage to the American people than the person laying in their bed fighting for their life bothering no one.

Sometimes I really believe we Americans have super screwed up priorities.

Thankfully my mother never developed prolonged agitation or aggression, but when she was well into Alzheimer's, I had decided that if those things were to happen, I was going to try an vaporized or edible form of marijuana before I would use antipsychotics on her.

I'm hoping some studies will be done on it, but I think with the explosion of various forms of dementia, marijuana could prove to provide relief for those patients who are agitated much of the time, with the added benefit of promoting appetite stimulation for them. This would be a better alternative to multiple psychiatric ward stays and tinkering with antipsychotic medications.

Thankfully my mother never developed prolonged agitation or aggression, but when she was well into Alzheimer's, I had decided that if those things were to happen, I was going to try an vaporized or edible form of marijuana before I would use antipsychotics on her.

I'm hoping some studies will be done on it, but I think with the explosion of various forms of dementia, marijuana could prove to provide relief for those patients who are agitated much of the time, with the added benefit of promoting appetite stimulation for them. This would be a better alternative to multiple psychiatric ward stays and tinkering with antipsychotic medications.

It makes way too much sense....what would big pharma say? After all your mom might need to take more meds to cope with the side effects the other meds give her instead of eating a few edibles.

Hopefully you live in a state, like Colorado, with common sense and can get the edibles for her. Good luck Michmi, if you can get this for your mom and it works let us know.

Incarceration Fine

Most states are looking to decrease their incarceration rate but Louisiana is looking to keep their steady and keep putting people in prison for minor crimes. This is because Louisiana has a very profitable system of "prisons for profit". These prisons are run by corporations or individuals and are quite lucrative for them. The corps make money, they give contracts to cronies for food services, phone service, offer cronies lucrative jobs, etc.

Other states are looking to decrease the prison population but Louisiana has contracted with these private prisons that they they will have a guaranteed 90% occupancy rate. They have to come up with prisoners somewhere and marijuana is a great way to do it. So cops, legislators and such are highly motivated to keep marijuana as a criminal offense. They are making a killing by keeping it illegal!!

I am sooooo tempted to put myself out there as a test case. I would love to enlist the help of a local group who is pushing for marijuana legalization and have them support me and help to set this up.

I would get prescribed some marijuana ( I have had seizures and have fibromyalgia so I would qualify). Then I would get some and get busted with it (Stepdaughter is a local cop, son in law is a state trooper so they could arrange it). I could easily pass a drug test showing that I do not have it in my system. I have no criminal past, never been arrested, have worked as a professional (retired public school teacher).

I believe that I would be a good test case to put forth. I have little to lose. I no longer work as a teacher and am self employed so i do not have to worry about getting fired. I am soo tempted to do this. Enough is enough. Legalize it!!

BBM
SwampMama-don't do it! You live in La, you know what it's like. You'd wind up in jail for ages, even if you were eventually acquitted. I was born in La and still have family there, and I am always afraid of being pulled over and pee-tested by the side of the road when I visit! Move to Colorado and let the people left in Louisiana figure it out for themselves. It may be decades before there is any change there. In the meantime (before you leave for Colorado), cruise on down to the drive-in daiquiri place and have a sip or two for me.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/01/30/smoking-marijuana-might-best-way-prevent-alzheimers-disease/

One thing marijuana isn’t known to do is improve your memory. But there’s another reason why scientists believe it could fight Alzheimer’s disease.

Gary Wenk, PhD, professor of neuroscience, immunology and medical genetics at Ohio State University, has studied how to combat brain inflammation for over 25 years.

His research has led him to a class of compounds known as cannabinoids, which includes many of the common ingredients in marijuana.

He says, throughout all of his research, cannabinoids have been the only class of drugs he’s found to work. What’s more, he believes early intervention may be the best way of fighting Alzheimer’s.

Dr. Wenk doesn’t see cannabinoids – or anything else – as a cure. But he took the time to discuss with us how marijuana might prevent the disorder from developing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm
The active ingredient in marijuana may stall decline from Alzheimer's disease, research suggests.

BBM
SwampMama-don't do it! You live in La, you know what it's like. You'd wind up in jail for ages, even if you were eventually acquitted. I was born in La and still have family there, and I am always afraid of being pulled over and pee-tested by the side of the road when I visit! Move to Colorado and let the people left in Louisiana figure it out for themselves. It may be decades before there is any change there. In the meantime (before you leave for Colorado), cruise on down to the drive-in daiquiri place and have a sip or two for me.

I'd love to do it to make a statement and to force the state to allow their citizens the access to the medically marijuana that they are legally entitled to. However, I have had 2 loved ones incarcerated for marijuana so i understand how barbaric the prison system is here and I have no desire to experience it myself. I do wish moving to Colorado was a possibility but my life with hubby is here, our land has been in the family for generations.

It just makes me so mad how LE and ignorant legislators shoot down every attempt to legalize marijuana here or to even decriminalize it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back