Sweden - Gay Marriage Now Legal In.....

Now we're COMPLAINING that a bureaucracy actually adapts to handle increased demand?

See Gitana1's post #490 above and then check to see if the shoe fits.

So what if gay people got some extra time to receive marriage licenses? Given the number of years we were denied such rights altogether, a little leniency doesn't begin to even the score!

Now we're COMPLAINING that a bureaucracy actually adapts to handle increased demand?

So what if gay people got some extra time to receive marriage licenses? Given the number of years we were denied such rights altogether, a little leniency doesn't begin to even the score!

Amen to that!

I know of NO OTHER group that gets the clerk's office to open on a Saturday to handle their SPECIAL business.

This has nothing to do with adapting to "increased demand". It is called "doing something special for a small segment of the population" and MY tax money pays the people staffing that office. If I wanted to pay for a county service that day the door would be shut in my face because the only group they dealt with were the people wanting their same-sex marriages.

Wasting my money. Yes, I do have a problem with that. If one wants to have equal rights, then one probably needs to do their business during normal business hours like the other county residents, don't you think?

Well, that's personally insulting. So thanks. For the record, I'm single and don't give a fat rat's butt about what benefits married couples do or do not get.

I just don't think gay couples (or anyone else) should be singled out for special treatment on the taxpayers' dime or otherwise. Equal is equal and the government is, or should be, blind to distinctions based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Isn't that the whole point of the civil rights and gay marriage movement, etc are about? So now that gay marriage is equal in the eyes of the law in certain states, it must immediately be treated with special deference -- and that makes sense, how?

Emotion and "reparations" are not part of the equation, to me. To be perfectly honest, and from a legal perspective, I think it's obvious that the ONLY reason the clerk's offices stay open additional hours is to make it more difficult for the decisions to be overturned by muddying up the rights of those who marry in the meantime. Why is a government office involved in something like that?

I know of NO OTHER group that gets the clerk's office to open on a Saturday to handle their SPECIAL business.

This has nothing to do with adapting to "increased demand". It is called "doing something special for a small segment of the population" and MY tax money pays the people staffing that office. If I wanted to pay for a county service that day the door would be shut in my face because the only group they dealt with were the people wanting their same-sex marriages.

Wasting my money. Yes, I do have a problem with that. If one wants to have equal rights, then one probably needs to do their business during normal business hours like the other county residents, don't you think?

Do you also have a problem with handicapped parking?

How about discounts for seniors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that's personally insulting. So thanks. For the record, I'm single and don't give a fat rat's butt about what benefits married couples do or do not get.

I just don't think gay couples (or anyone else) should be singled out for special treatment on the taxpayers' dime or otherwise. Equal is equal and the government is, or should be, blind to distinctions based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Isn't that the whole point of the civil rights and gay marriage movement, etc are about? So now that gay marriage is equal in the eyes of the law in certain states, it must immediately be treated with special deference -- and that makes sense, how?

Emotion and "reparations" are not part of the equation, to me. To be perfectly honest, and from a legal perspective, I think it's obvious that the ONLY reason the clerk's offices stay open additional hours is to make it more difficult for the decisions to be overturned by muddying up the rights of those who marry in the meantime. Why is a government office involved in something like that?

Really?

Seems to be gay couples have been paying WAY MORE than their fair share.
It's about time they're getting their due!

Well, I'm a WI taxpayer, and I'm thankful that my tax dollars are being used in a positive way. Gay citizens of our state have been paying taxes along with the rest of us without being afforded equal civil rights for years and years. I'd say they've more than earned a little extra time and consideration. They can't win. Imagine the outrage amongst the haters if "the gays" were clogging up the county clerks office during regular business hours on Monday.

Do you also have a problem with handicapped parking?

How about discounts for seniors?

Did the county clerk's office in Oakland County, Michigan open on a Saturday to handle that kind of stuff? No. The handicapped parking is handled on a state level and the clerk doesn't do discounts.

I am a resident and taxpayer of that county. The clerk's office opened and fully staffed up on a Saturday to do marriages for same-sex couples.

I pay for that. Last I heard, the county clerk is a PUBLIC office that's supposed to serve all of the residents. They have established business hours to serve all residents. I have never seen that office open outside of business hours for any other group. How is that equal? It's not. It's a waste of my money.

Really?

How so? They pay what they owe, like anyone else. Like me. Like you. They're not doing anything more than anyone else.

I'll leave it at that, because you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours.

Really?

huh...paying way more than their fair share...and so they're entitled to paybacks in the form of special privileges at public government offices as a form of payback? lol No idea what this post is talking about.

How so? They pay what they owe, like anyone else. Like me. Like you. They're not doing anything more than anyone else.

I'll leave it at that, because you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours.

Same :seeya:

Wow. "Special privilege" because of a couple hours to get licenses they've been denied for how many years? I can't think of anything less generous.

Does the mod staff close threads for no reason? No, we don't.

There is a reason this thread was closed and it's not about the gay marriage issue, it's about a forum issue.

Karmady and Michmi, I wasn't trying to insult you. But the umbrage you take over extending marriage license bureau hours a bit seems to rise from some source other than concern over costs.

1. Neither of you has cited a source that shows payroll costs increased significantly because of the handful of extra hours any office stayed open. (Many government offices work on a system of "comp time" in place of overtime pay. It may be shifts were staggered to accommodate the sudden increase in demand.)

2. Marriage licenses aren't free in any state where I've lived. I know mine cost quite a bit more than the clerk who processed it was paid for the five minutes she spent with us. So the extra hours may actually have caused a net GAIN in state revenue, at least in the short term.

3. Weddings boost the private economy in ways other than license fees. Some of the money spent on ceremonies finds its way back to the state in the form of sales and income taxes.

So all in all, it's not clear that you and other taxpayers paid anything extra to accommodate those who finally achieved marriage equality.

This has previously been one of the few civilized, positive and mostly uncontentious threads on the site. I miss that.

Wonderful news, at least it's a start in FL, even if the process to full equality will be complicated.

And I always love seeing pics of the happy couples!

This makes me even happier since we are considering relocating to FL from Mass. I'm anticipating a huge culture shock (though we are looking at the space coast, which I understand is quite full of other transplants like we would be). It's heartening to see there are allies even in places where I would not expect them!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back