Deceased/Not Found NY - Michele Harris, 35, Owego, 11 Sep 2001

Might someone kindly tell me how to become a verified local so that I may help with this case? I realize it is old, and I realize it is cold, but that is only more of a reason that someone needs to revitalize things. I'd love to help, but know not where to begin. Thanks!

Sorry to be dumb, but could someone please link me to Michele's page on the Doe Network? I can't seem to find it.

http://owegopennysaver.com/index.ph...d-on-continued-bail-while-awaiting-new-trial/

"Tioga County District Attorney Gerald Keene argued that Calvin Harris has been found guilty twice, and will probably be found guilty a third time based on credible evidence. “Therefore,” said Keene, “Calvin Harris is a flight risk.”

Keene also noted that Calvin Harris was worth $5.4 million in 2005, and probably still has enough money left to flee if he chooses to do so."

-----------------

http://www.9wsyr.com/mostpopular/st...his-wife-released/CgqOjq7gTEKFLyhWqjE0SQ.cspx

"Man convicted twice of killing his wife released on bail"

"A Tioga County judge ordered that 51-year-old Calvin Harris be released on a $500,000 property bond.

The Court of Appeals last week ordered a third trial for Harris, citing errors during his previous trial that ended in a second conviction for second-degree murder."

wow, you have got to be kidding me. Thanks GGE, for the update.

No problem, this case is local for me so I usually hear about these things. Of courses if I actually got our local newspaper I'd hear more quickly, LOL, not much goes on around here though. Anyway, here's one more:

http://www.pressconnects.com/articl...is-third-murder-trial-likely-start-early-fall

" Owego businessman Calvin Harris, twice convicted of murdering his estranged wife and twice freed, may face a third trial as soon as October."

"The first conviction was was set aside and a new trial ordered when a local farmer came forward after the verdict and said he thought he saw Michele Harris with an unidentified man hours after the prosecution said Harris killed his wife.

After a jury again found Harris guilty in 2009, New York’s highest court — the state Court of Appeals — in October 2012 reversed that conviction as well due to apparent trial errors. A third trial was ordered.

Deliberations over the next few months are likely to center on questions about where the third trial should be held.

Defense attorney Bruce Barket, who is a partner in the Garden City, N.Y.-based firm that is representing Harris, noted that the Court of Appeals “strongly suggested” in its October 2012 decision that the venue should be changed for the third trial.

Well yeah because 84% of us county residents voted that he not get another trial, but rather just be stuck with the ones he's already been found guilty at.

I guess if you have $5.4 million you get to keep on having "do-overs" until they find you not guilty.

(sorry that's all IMHO and whatnot)

http://owegopennysaver.com/index.php/2013/05/14/tentative-trial-for-calvin-harris-set-for-oct-7/

"The third murder trial for Calvin Harris, of Spencer, N.Y., is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 7 [2013] in Tioga County Court."

<snip>

"Since his arrest in 2005, Harris has been tried and convicted twice of second degree murder. Both convictions were overturned on appeal."

more at link

I may attend just for the fun of it. I've been there before, probably in the same court room. Maybe I'll even get jury duty! LOL doubtful. Following a case on WS probably auto-excludes you.

http://owegopennysaver.com/index.php/2013/09/07/calvin-harris-hearing-postponed-until-january/

"Calvin Harris, the Tioga County businessman that has been convicted twice of murdering his wife, Michele Harris, was expected to return to court Friday to begin the process of a third trial. Calvin Harris&#8217; second conviction was overturned by the State Court of Appeals, and a new trial scheduled. That trial is now being postponed.

<snip>

It was unknown, at the time of this report [dated September 7, 2013], why Friday&#8217;s procedure was adjourned, but it has been reported that Calvin Harris&#8217; attorney, William Easton, is requesting a change of venue. The third trial is expected to be scheduled some time after January of next year."

It has already been twelve years and change since Michele was murdered.. it's beyond time for the person responsible to be behind bars for the rest of his life. Praying someone finds her body between now and whenever he goes back to court so that this time is the last, one way or another (guilty or innocent).

Most people convicted of murder never win their appeal for a new trial-and this man has won two appeals. That is quite remarkable to me! Does he have the right kind of friends, or what?

I am on the fence with this one. I thought it was the husband, at first. But that 48 hrs makes me wonder. She did have a few other boyfriends and things were messy with a few of them.

And the kids are totally supporting the father. So ?

Trial numero 3 was supposed to start today and I cannot find a thing.... :waiting:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back