The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 24th June - Trial Day 9, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 10s

Mr Christ says at some stage, over time, he expected to get his $90K back, as well as the same in interest. #badenclay

Mr Christ has been excused. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 9s

Now giving evidence is Peter Cranna, an accountant and friend of Gerard's. #badenclay

It's interesting that GBC's friends seemingly held Allison's business skills in high regard - no mention of her being rendered helpless by depression as OW & NBC have described.
I agree. They are giving the impression they were "comforted" by Allison's role in the business. It is almost as if they felt Gerard was a little of a 'loose cannon' and Allison was a stabiliser in the business and would keep him on track. Very different to the perception GBC's family have built up of her.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 27s

Mr Christ says he got a phone call on April 20, 2012, "quite distraught", very concerned about line of questioning from police. #badenclay

Mr Christ: In his words, they're going after him. Mr Christ says he told Nigel they should focus on finding Allison. #badenclay

Mr Christ says he gave Nigel the number of a lawyer he went to school with. #badenclay

Another person with the right priorities..... How come not a single BC thought this should be the focus?

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 40s

Peter Cranna, finance director with Church of Christ Qld and friend of Gerard's for more than 20 years, giving evidence #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 4s

Mr Cranna says he and Gerard have been friends for more than 20 years. They met while working together at an accounting firm. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says they were in each other's weddings, went camping each year, had dinners, coffee. #badenclay http://bit.ly/UCqb1j

Mr Christ says he got a phone call from Nigel on April 20, 2012, "quite distraught", very concerned about line of questioning from police.

3 loans of $90.000.00 with interest per month!!.....

That would be 10 per cent per annum surely Trooper, that would only be $750 per month, then by 3 would equal $2250 per month and $27000 per year. A good commission really.

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 33s

Mr Cranna says "I've lent money to Gerard on a number of occasions." #badenclay @abcnews

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 3s

Mr Christ says he got a phone call from Nigel on April 20, 2012, "quite distraught", very concerned about line of questioning from police.

Mr Cranna says he has lent money to Gerard in the past, which he paid back. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says he lent money to Gerard in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. "I lent him various sums of money." #badenclay

Mr Cranna says amounts included $50,000, $24,000, $19,000. Mr Cranna says Gerard paid back $6000 in February, 2011. #badenclay

Mr Cranna: We have a friendship and he talked to me about his business. I was willing to lend him some money for his business to succeed.

Mr Cranna says Gerard was willing to provide reports when he asked for them. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says he and Gerard's two other friends, Mr Christ and Mr Cheesman, formed an "advisory group" for the business in 2011. #badenclay

11:53am: Like Mr Cheesman, Mr Christ said he has never demanded Mr Baden-Clay repay the $90,000 loan.

11:52am: Under cross-examination from Mr Baden-Clay's defence barrister Michael Byrne QC, Mr Christ said he was aware of Mrs Baden-Clay's struggle with depression and anxiety.

"Allison at times would be quite removed and other times she would be great," Mr Christ said.

"So she would be happy, extroverted?" Mr Byrne asked.

"Happy, I don't know about extroverted, but she was fun," Mr Christ replied.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-9-week-3-20140624-3apn6.html#ixzz35WF0JvQY

'The police were going after him' - that was a bit sneaky, getting that in.
Redirect.
The defence is attempting to show that there was no particular pressure for the $ to be paid back.

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 58s

Mr Cranna says he lent money to #badenclay in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. @abcnews

I hope I am right in assuming that Mr Cranna, Christ etc were in fact lending Gerard their own money and not someone elses??

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 54s

Mr Cranna: in February 2011 formed advisory group with Mr Christ and Mr Cheesman #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · now

Mr Cranna says they thought they could assist by looking at the cost structures of the business. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says the general conditions of the real estate business at that time were difficult. The floods had had a negative effect.

Mr Cranna says they drafted an agreement before lending Gerard money but it was never signed. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 4s

Mr Cranna says he and Gerard have been friends for more than 20 years. They met while working together at an accounting firm. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says they were in each other's weddings, went camping each year, had dinners, coffee. #badenclay http://bit.ly/UCqb1j

.....but he didn't know about the affairs....

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 28s

Mr Christ says sometimes Allison was really good, sometimes she was very quiet. He says that went on for an extended period. #badenclay

Mr Christ says he last saw Allison before Easter, 2012. She was "fine". #badenclay

She was "good" when she thought her marriage was going well. She was "quiet" when she was sad that it wasn't.

This is so typical of how a woman feels with a cheating husband. I'm starting to get a bit impatient with the men who are testifying! What, she's supposed to be all happy that her husband is running around with other women? Obviously he wasn't easy to live with - IMO, he was able to silence his own wife forever!

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 19s

Mr Cranna says it was a loan, he put no term on the loan. He says he doesn't remember the interest rate. #badenclay

: The 59th witness in the trial is Stuart Christ, who went to school and university with Gerard Baden-Clay.

He said he was a business development manager at Hewlett Packard

The 58th witness in the trial is computer consultant Robert Cheesman

He said a financial controller and an executive from Hewlett Packard helped go through the figures.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ing-wife-allison/story-fnihsrf2-1226964239691

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 3s

Mr Cranna says he has lent money to Gerard in the past, which he paid back. #badenclay

Mr Cranna says he lent money to Gerard in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. "I lent him various sums of money." #badenclay

Mr Cranna says amounts included $50,000, $24,000, $19,000. Mr Cranna says Gerard paid back $6000 in February, 2011. #badenclay

Mr Cranna: We have a friendship and he talked to me about his business. I was willing to lend him some money for his business to succeed.

Mr Cranna says Gerard was willing to provide reports when he asked for them. #badenclay

BBM
If I had a 'friend' who hit me up for loans almost on an annual basis, I'd start to question our friendship. I notice on bail hearing docs the financial report by Kelly Beckett (p42) shows PC deposited payments totalling $43,500 into GBC personal account during Dec 2010 - March 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288