TX TX - Yogurt Shop Murders, Austin, 6 Dec 1991

I'm sorry for not being more clear. I was describing the Pizza Hut case not the Yogurt Shop case. My point is that Austin/Travis county had just suffered a major embarrassment involving a conviction based on a confession that ruined careers and cost millions (the Pizza Hut case). Suddenly, it was happening again. Rather that admit they made a mistake and settle up again, they decided to hang tough and refuse to give in. Obviously, if they are going to stand behind the convictions, they can't reopen the investigation

Richkelly's analysis in #53 is excellent. It is worth noting that Amy, the rape victim ,was shot with a different gun than the other three. There were two guys involved.

For the best on line account, check out: http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2011-12-16/scene-of-the-crime/.

Until Springsteen confessed, APD was operating on the assumption that the last customers in the shop were the perps. The writer asks why Springsteen and the others were re-questioned when they didn't fit the description and there was no other evidence pointing to them. I wonder if someone in APD thought it would easier to get one of the young kids to confess than any of the other suspects.

Women working alone in late night businesses are all to often the victims of sexual assault. It is pretty obvious that is what happened here. The two unexpected girls raised the profile of the case but the fact that the perps brought gasoline settles the issue: they planned to kill the girls and torch the place.

It is a little surprising that no match has been found for either DNA sample but not every state has collected and logged all DNA from all felons into CODIS. Some states collect a very limited number of samples and some have huge backlogs. There is always the chance a hit will turn up. There is also the possibility that both perps have either stopped committing crimes or just successfully avoided arrest.

I wonder if someone in APD thought it would easier to get one of the young kids to confess than any of the other suspects.

Definitely a possibility, especially with the reputation of the investigator who conducted the interrogations.

The two unexpected girls raised the profile of the case but the fact that the perps brought gasoline settles the issue: they planned to kill the girls and torch the place.

I didn't see where it was determined that gasoline was the accelerant used , if it was then it further confirms y suspicions, this was a planned Sexual assault with murder post assault to eliminate witnesses, and arson to cover evidence. .

It also solidifies my feelings about the suspect type .

It is a little surprising that no match has been found for either DNA sample but not every state has collected and logged all DNA from all felons into CODIS. Some states collect a very limited number of samples and some have huge backlogs. There is always the chance a hit will turn up. There is also the possibility that both perps have either stopped committing crimes or just successfully avoided arrest.

It does happen unfortunately, there could be a bunch of reasons why there hasn't been a hit on the DNA since. It could be that he's dead, it could be that he was incarcerated for other crimes, and that it wasn't a requirement a the time to collect, it could be he was otherwise disabled, and unable to commit any more crimes, it could be wherever he is (or was) didn't have the DNA requirement.

And again if he's a sociopath, (and I feel he most likely is or at least possesses some traits of ) that he went on committing other crimes, and hasn't been caught.

I was looking up Frank Suraci and found that his current wife Catherine had a brother who died in what was ruled a suicide in 2004. However she doesn't believe it was suicide and was trying to get hold of the autopsy report, which she posted about here: http://www.pafoic.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1217275156

It seems very odd that one person (Frank Suraci) could be connected to that many tragic untimely deaths. She even mentions it in one of her posts in the above-linked thread.

Thank you MiMoMa for your link. I read this post by Catherine Suraci a couple of years ago. It is an interesting post. Almost makes you wonder if she was concerned about her relationship with Frank and wanted to make sure there was a public record of his past. It seems I found some later posts of Catherine on line that indicated her questions about her brother, Dr Tom Adkins, death had been resolved.

In earlier post I listed reasons why I feel Frank Suraci should be looked at as a possible suspect. I would hope LE has looked into and cleared him. I have a friend who attended HS with Jennifer Harbison. There was never any suspicion of family involvement among the student body. The only source that has brought suspicion to Frank "Skip" Suraci was Erik Moebius. None of the other parents or the Harbison's biological father have ever mentioned any doubts about Skip.

I have found the deaths of Carl and Jane Suraci just as puzzling as the YSM's.
On the surface they seem rather young and successful to be retired substance abuse councilors. The large settlement to the girls family's from insurance funds. The similarities in homicides and family ties have to bring suspicion to Skip. The exemplary life Skip has led would indicate that despite these ties he is probably not guilty of any involvement.

Thank you MiMoMa for your link. I read this post by Catherine Suraci a couple of years ago. It is an interesting post. Almost makes you wonder if she was concerned about her relationship with Frank and wanted to make sure there was a public record of his past. It seems I found some later posts of Catherine on line that indicated her questions about her brother, Dr Tom Adkins, death had been resolved.

In earlier post I listed reasons why I feel Frank Suraci should be looked at as a possible suspect. I would hope LE has looked into and cleared him. I have a friend who attended HS with Jennifer Harbison. There was never any suspicion of family involvement among the student body. The only source that has brought suspicion to Frank "Skip" Suraci was Erik Moebius. None of the other parents or the Harbison's biological father have ever mentioned any doubts about Skip.

I have found the deaths of Carl and Jane Suraci just as puzzling as the YSM's.
On the surface they seem rather young and successful to be retired substance abuse councilors. The large settlement to the girls family's from insurance funds. The similarities in homicides and family ties have to bring suspicion to Skip. The exemplary life Skip has led would indicate that despite these ties he is probably not guilty of any involvement.

I viewed many of the posts that were made by Catherine in the efforts of obtaining her brother's autopsy report, but I haven't seen any posts that indicated she was able to obtain it. Any hints for me?

In regards to your commentary on Frank, I agree. Wholeheartedly.

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

I have reviewed my notes from 2012 and I am sorry to say they do not help my memory, Simply Caustic. I think I found some Facebook messaging by Catherine in which I recall her saying something that made me feel she felt more comfortable about the suicide ruling of her brother. If I recall it was very brief and rather off topic, but left me with the feeling she was in a better place mentally. Sorry I can not be of more help.

The last info I found on Frank Suraci was that he was working as an Assistant Prosecutor for Accomack County VA. He, his wife, and his mother lived in a residence nearby.

This just keep getting stranger.

After the Yogurt Shop Murders, Frank Suraci went to Law School and eventually was divorced from eventually divorced Barbara and moved to Accomack County Virginia where he became an Assistant D.A. He apparently received part of the $12 Million Insurance settlement.

At some point he married Catherine Adkins who had a brother named Tom Adkins who was an emergency room Doctor in Pennsylvania. Tom's first wife died in 1991 and his second wife died in 1999. Both deaths were a "unexplained" sudden death of an otherwise healthy young woman. Both were considered highly suspicious and Tom was under a serious cloud of suspicion but he was never charged with any crime connected to their deaths.

In 2004, Tom died from two gunshot wounds to the abdomen. It was ruled a suicide. (most gunshot suicides are one shot to the head but multiple shots to the abdomen are not unheard of). Catherine was suspicious and tried to get a copy of the Coroner's report but she was not entitled to it. There is a lengthy on line record of her attempt to get it. Tom's third wife could get it (as his wife) but she refused to make it available to Catherine or any other family record. This raises the possibility that she "had something to hide".

Frank's brother Carl and his wife Jane were murdered in their Mobel home on a large track of land in Arizona. News reports describe them as retired "Counselors" from Virginia and I read a post describing them as Drug Counselors. Carl was 57 and Jane was 46 in 2007 when they died. You don't expect to Drug Counselors to retire that young, that well off but there are many possible explanations.

There are more "unexplained" deaths within Franks extended family than you would expect but there are no obvious connections. I really hate "coincidences" but know they do occur.

hold up though wasn't he part of the group that was brought in and one of them had a gun on him in the mall...thats why they were brought in they were caught with a gun on the same night or night after they had to bring them in and question them...not only that but it takes a few days to get the right guy to look at the bullistics to see if the bullets matched the scores on the gun...

I have reviewed my notes from 2012 and I am sorry to say they do not help my memory, Simply Caustic. I think I found some Facebook messaging by Catherine in which I recall her saying something that made me feel she felt more comfortable about the suicide ruling of her brother. If I recall it was very brief and rather off topic, but left me with the feeling she was in a better place mentally. Sorry I can not be of more help.

The last info I found on Frank Suraci was that he was working as an Assistant Prosecutor for Accomack County VA. He, his wife, and his mother lived in a residence nearby.

I trust your impressions and thank you for sharing them. It definitely helps in rounding out the image of the Suracis - and I can't help but question about his wife posting - well, posting his many brushes with death (around him). I wonder the motive behind that...

Via Kindle, like a true Amazon junkie

I agree that Catherine's posting was a bit odd. I noticed that for a period in '09 she had Facebook profile using her maiden name and listing herself as single. She seems to be a very open person in her on line comments and communication. I found some more of my notes from my '12 research. Adding to my frustration I noted that Catherine apparently had obtained a copy of her brothers autopsy by 2/4/09. I failed to list the source of that info. It must have came from an online posting or comment from Catherine made on that date. I have spent some time trying to verify, but have found nothing.

Kemo brings up some interesting events in Frank "Skip" Suraci's extended family.

I am not sure if he received any of the $12 million settlement money for the YSM. It seems the funds received in Jan '94 should have went to the biological parents. In Jan '94 Skip enrolled in law school in Tulsa OK. It is probable that Skip was financially secure. He had been working for Dell Computer as a supervisor for several years. Dell was not known to pay well, but they were generous with stock in the 80's and early 90's. With the success of the company's stock and all of the splits many of the employees from that era retired early. They are known around Austin as "Dellionares".

Not sure of the dates, but by '99 Skip had divorced Barbara his first wife and remarried Catherine his current wife. Catherine's brother, Dr Tom Adkins 2nd wife died in '99 from unknown causes. She was insured for $1 million so Dr Adkins was under heavy suspicion. Skip and Catherine were living in Tulsa at the time of this death, as they were in 2004 at the time of Dr Adkins suicide.

I agree with Kemo. There does not appear to be any connection between any of these unsolved deaths, but it makes me uneasy as well.

This case just bothers me from all aspects, however, the manager of the shop had been receiving death threats and her home had been broken in to. This was all on record with APD. I also read that Jennifer Harbison had also been receiving death threats and her parents were so concerned that they too contacted APD. I want to say that APD went as far as putting a trace on the family phone.

Also, if this was a case where the shop was watched, it would not have been due to Amy being the planned victim. It was pure chance that she and Sarah were there that night. IMO, I think that Jennifer was the intended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yogurt Shop Murders, 23 Years Ago Today
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features...t-shop-murders-23-years-ago-today-22718.shtml
yogurt-shop-murders-1_22718.jpg
December 6, 1991: Four teenage girls are murdered in Austin, Texas at the “I Can't Believe It's Yogurt!” shop.
The crime scene is contaminated by firefighters and EMS. Water used to put out fires washes away evidence.
Jennifer Harbison and Eliza Thomas, both 17 are at work finishing up when Sarah, Jennifer’s 15 year old sister and Amy Ayers, 13, stop by.
To this day questions still remain, the truth is unclear, and no one has been convicted of the events that happened 23 years ago today.
Short summary at link.
KEYE's FB post of same, with many comments: https://www.facebook.com/KEYETV/posts/10150456820014996

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/suspect-in-yogurt-shop-murders-presses-to-clear-hi/nq9dj/

Austin’s most notorious unsolved case — the horrific 1991 murders of four teenage girls in a strip mall yogurt shop — returns to court this week as one of four suspects presses to clear his name after spending almost nine years in prison for the crime.

Robert Springsteen, whose capital murder conviction was overturned in 2006, wants a court order declaring him innocent of the yogurt shop murders and therefore eligible for almost $720,000 from a state fund for wrongful convictions...

Travis County prosecutors oppose the request, saying Springsteen is attempting an end run around state law and court procedures — and, not incidentally, encroaching on their power to retry him for the murders, should additional evidence be found.

http://kxan.com/2016/04/27/yogurt-shop-murder-suspects-attorneys-argue-his-innocence/

Springsteen was convicted of the murders and sentenced to death row in 2001. The next year, Scott was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Both convictions were overturned when their confessions, their attorneys claim coerced, were ruled unconstitutional in 2006. But they did not walk free until DNA evidence taken from a sexual assault swab of victim Amy Ayers returned an unknown profile, excluding all known suspects...

Hours after Wednesday’s hearing, Diaz was back at his office looking through a 2009 PowerPoint presentation a jury was never given the opportunity to see...

The DNA profile collected from Amy Ayers body, the same profile that led to charges being dropped, is complete and given the name “X-1” But Diaz said an expert report showed two more partial DNA profiles, X-2 and X-3, taken from the bodies of the Harbison sisters. But even though the profiles are partial, Diaz said determinations that would exclude all known suspects can still be made.

Travis County needs to end this travesty of justice. They will never retry Scott and Springsteen. They have nothing on them and pretty compelling exonerating evidence. This is probably about he money, the reputation of the DA's office and the "win at all cost" attitude they have displayed from the beginning.

Covered in 3 parts by Crime Watch Daily

[video=youtube;mi05_4GFmfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi05_4GFmfg[/video]

I watched the YouTube last night. Nothing really new. Amy's parents seem to be cast in the role of defenders of the DA's Office. They come across as type Texan types, with the clothes, the hat the drawl. They made the case that releasing "their daughter's killers" was bad enough but the thought of giving them money was an outrage. They didn't seem to understand or be concerned with the DNA evidence and they didn't betray the slightest doubt of Scott and Springsteen 's guilt. The victims and their families are certainly sympathetic figures who have suffered a act of barbarity but that has nothing to do with and should have no bearing on the issues of abuse of justice committed against the two former defendants.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back