GUILTY MI - Charlie Bothuell, 12, Detroit, 16 June 2014

If stepmom was hiding the kid, that means dad wouldn't have known he was in the basement, or be found there. So it doesn't jive with his acting.

My theory is that he obviously figured out that something was going on with stepmom and kid, probably based on her interactions with the police, and maybe being secluded from him. He would know if he abused her and the kid previously and would be nervous. He would know about the tunnels and the uncles house, and maybe started putting the pieces together and knew it was only a matter of time before everything came out. So hence, the acting.

Homeschooling requirements in MI are extremely lax.

Application – You do NOT have to request a Non-Public School Membership Reporting Form.

Parental Qualifications – (3)(a) Be a teacher or homeschool with one or claim religious exemption, or (3)(f) No requirements whatsoever!

Testing – None

Curriculum – The state does not regulate the content of the basic courses.

Reporting – None required

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/united_states/michigan_home_school_laws/
Just my 2 cents on the required workout....

We just started cyber schooling, and my children are required to have a certain amount of physical education time each semester to match what they would have gotten at the public school.

Charlie was homeschooled, so the requirements for that might be similar.

We have a very unstructured routine; we don't maintain a strict every day phys ed time, but some people might do that.

Though it is summer time now, I don't know when school would be out for Michigan, so the above point may be moot.

http://www.kxly.com/news/Missing-Michigan-boy-now-with-his-mom/26668388

A Michigan boy who was found alive and hiding in his father's basement after an 11-day search is now in the custody of his mother, a Detroit police spokesman confirmed Thursday afternoon

Police also talked with Charlie Bothuell for the first time about his disappearance and the events leading up to the bizarre discovery of the boy hidden away in the basement on Wednesday.

Charlie, 12, first met with child psychologists before investigators took a statement from him Thursday, according to Sgt. Mike Woody. But police are not revealing what the boy told them.

While Woody did say authorities are not ruling out child abuse in the case, he would not comment on whether there was any sign of physical abuse on the child.

"I've never seen anything quite like this," Detroit Police Chief James Craig told CNN affiliate WXYZ-TV.

"We found him barricaded in the basement, behind boxes and a large ... drum. There's no way he could have erected this makeshift area of concealment."

Just got in from dinner and put on the TV. JVM is squawking that stepmother has been arrested on a probation violation which LE says is not related to the case.

Curiouser and curioser.

Dad will be on NG tonight!

Haven't had a chance to check out other MSM sources yet, so no source other than these programs to link.

ETA: JLSChook has a link above!

I haven't been able to keep up. Does Charlie have any siblings? I thought he had a brother. If so, that young man also needs to be out of that home.

I am behind and catching up on posts. Maybe someone has already answered. But, yes, a 14 year old brother and a sister. I think the sister is 10 months old. Maybe a step-brother and a half-sister? Not sure about the brother/step-brother.

EDIT to add: Oh my word! Now articles say the brother is 4, not 14. I was wondering how the brother could be a half-brother. So, the 5 gallon drum was actually a 55 gallon drum and the 14 year old is actually a 4 year old.

Action News has also learned of a new twist in the case. The uncle of Monique Charlie's stepmother has a listed address three doors away from where the search had been going on.

That home is the end unit of the same condominium building. The units are connected by an underground hallway.

Charlie's stepmother's uncle is Detroit attorney Godfrey Dillard. Action News reached him on the phone to ask about the case and Monique and he refused to comment.

Godfrey Dillard recently announced his run for Michigan Attorney General.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/new-twist-in-case-of-12-year-old-charlie-bothuell-info-on-underground-hallway-that-connected-units

Exactly! Instead of immediately repeating your false alibi of how many times the basement was searched, you would think a parent would repeat something to the effect of thank God, thank God, thank you thank you... Creep

He reacted the same way I did when told my son was dead (tragically, unexpected)...all I could say was "What"? "What"? And then again, "What"?
Just my experience, but I have had to tell others that their loved one's have passed and that's always the reaction..."What"? You just can't fathom what you are being told. Seems like a perfectly normal reaction to me. JMO of course.
I realize that he got good news - but it's still shocking to a parent. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to hear "found alive". NG is acting like a real see you next tuesday - I guess for ratings.

He reacted the same way I did when told my son was dead (tragically, unexpected)...all I could say was "What"? "What"? And then again, "What"?
Just my experience, but I have had to tell others that their loved one's have passed and that's always the reaction..."What"? You just can't fathom what you are being told. Seems like a perfectly normal reaction to me. JMO of course.

I am so very sorry you suffered such a tragic loss

I don't know what to think anymore :scared: I hope LE can sort this out.

So this puts a curious spin on this case. I originally posted maybe the child was hidden in the uncle's house unbeknownst to him. With the underground tunnels this is highly likely, but...Uncle running for Attorney General...politicians do not like dirty laundry aired. Sometimes they will go to great lengths to make sure ugly matters or family matters are not found out as to not hurt their campaigns. Just sayin' IMO

I thought I read upthread that the father's polygraph test result was inconclusive. But, according to the article at the link below, he failed the test. Interesting. BBM.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/detroit-po...ld-charlie-bothuell-alive-in-fathers-basement

You may have been referring to my post which, interestingly enough, came from the same news source. http://www.wxyz.com/news/lie-detect...ng-12-year-old-charlie-bothuell?autoplay=true

"Polygraph tests for Charlie Bothuell's father have come back inconclusive. The child's stepmother declined to take the polygraph test."

I realize that he got good news - but it's still shocking to a parent. I'm sure he wasn't expecting to hear "found alive". NG is acting like a real see you next tuesday - I guess for ratings.

Very sorry for your loss. My heartgoesout to you. I dare not take a parents reaction away, but this guy's reaction has red flags all over it...jmo

So this puts a curious spin on this case. I originally posted maybe the child was hidden in the uncle's house unbeknownst to him. With the underground tunnels this is highly likely, but...Uncle running for Attorney General...politicians do not like dirty laundry aired. Sometimes they will go to great lengths to make sure ugly matters or family matters are not found out as to not hurt their campaigns. Just sayin' IMO

Agree. I cant see the Uncle involved either. For the same reasons you point out.

My first thought when reading about this was, "Oh, this publicity stunt so did not turn out the way someone hoped."

I am wondering if Charlie was really working out at all. Maybe that was said just to provide a reason for what happened to him; i.e., "he was out jogging... he must have just kept on jogging... far away from home...". Early articles did say that dogs tracked his scent to a nearby park where the scent was then lost. When I first read that I thought it sounded like someone in a car had picked him up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back