GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read most of them, but her more recent ones I missed. Is she still writing books? I hope so. Ann Rule can take the reader into the story like no other true crime writer, that's for sure!

P.S. I've been meaning to ask you who that is in your avatar, LOL?

The avatar looks like Tyra Banks, to me......

it's mind boggling that no evidence was left behind when the horrific crime committed was Decapitation. I'm stumped as to how is that forensically possible. This case has the hallmark sign of a Dexter episode; no evidence left behind, a perfect murder.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

East2west, the lack of forensic evidence is an indicator of an organized, experienced, and investigative/forensic aware predator. There are no perfect murders, only imperfect investigations, imo.

East2west, times they are a changin...
Holding back more information than is absolutely necessary by investigators and refusing to utilize all available resources in an investigation can hinder the desired results. It has been my experience that when the antiquated close to the vest silence investigative strategy is utilized. The most valuable investigative resource in missing/murdered persons cases; the American public, is squandered.
More often than not, when this strategy is utilized, the investigations grow cold or take years to solve..

There is a reason that there is a Silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons cold cases in the USA; 100,000+.. Silence only increases innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases, imo. Justice delayed is justice denied.

'Awareness is critical to insure public safety and justice for our families, friends, and loved ones'..

TOGETHER... WE ARE CUE (Community United Effort) - YouTube

East2west, the lack of forensic evidence is an indicator of an organized, experienced, and investigative/forensic aware predator. There are no perfect murders, only imperfect investigations, imo.

East2west, times they are a changin...
Holding back more information than is absolutely necessary by investigators and refusing to utilize all available resources in an investigation can hinder the desired results. It has been my experience that when the antiquated close to the vest silence investigative strategy is utilized. The most valuable investigative resource in missing/murdered persons cases; the American public, is squandered.
More often than not, when this strategy is utilized, the investigations grow cold or take years to solve..

There is a reason that there is a Silent epidemic of missing/murdered persons cold cases in the USA; 100,000+.. Silence only increases innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases, imo. Justice delayed is justice denied.

'Awareness is critical to insure public safety and justice for our families, friends, and loved ones'..

TOGETHER... WE ARE CUE (Community United Effort) - YouTube

:goodpost: as was not familiar with CUE previously

ETA :gasp: on vacation and another :websleuther: has just texted me that a hurricane coming here tomorrow !

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Solitaryone and Treelights

When setting up my profile, this avatar was suggested. I have no idea who it is, but thought it was different. Tyra Banks, Wendy Williams, who knows???

Good morning - and happy holiday! Want to say to anyone on here who has served our country, thank you for your courage and bravery. I am truly grateful.
Reading over last night's posts, and it occurred to me that I do find it strange that the cameras were not working that particular weekend at LO (or GW). I hope they are looking into that, when did they stop working, could the Nubes have infiltrated the security there? Who has access to that system? At first, I didn't think anything of that, but I know it would have been at the top of my hitlist of things to take care of if I was head of security there..? On the other hand, if whoever did this lived there and knew the cameras were out, that would be his chance to go there. Somebody talk!!

Good morning - and happy holiday! Want to say to anyone on here who has served our country, thank you for your courage and bravery. I am truly grateful.
Reading over last night's posts, and it occurred to me that I do find it strange that the cameras were not working that particular weekend at LO (or GW). I hope they are looking into that, when did they stop working, could the Nubes have infiltrated the security there? Who has access to that system? At first, I didn't think anything of that, but I know it would have been at the top of my hitlist of things to take care of if I was head of security there..? On the other hand, if whoever did this lived there and knew the cameras were out, that would be his chance to go there. Somebody talk!!

If my memory is correct the GW Security camera's went down April 28/2014,
Happyshoes..

Happy Independence Day to you too. The only thing that I have ever won was the Vietnam Draft Lottery..:tyou:

Then you're a winner!
I would like to know why the system wasn't repaired then on say, the 29th? And when was it back up and running? Who's in charge of this and did the residents know the system was down?

Yes, I think it could be a hit. Someone who would gain something from the deaths of both Mr. and Mrs. Dermond, could have hired a hit man or men. It reminds me of Fred Tokars in Atlanta, and Alan Blackthorne in San Antonio. It took LE many years to connect the dots, that both of these individuals, had hired hit men to murder their wives.

Sheriff Sills is very media savvy, and feels the need to make generic statements to the press from time to time. I'm hopeful he has a lot of evidence, and is taking his time to build a solid case. :twocents:

IMHO
I am trying to be careful so I do not violate the rules of the site.
I had the opportunity to chat with our local retired Sheriff. He has been following this case. His opinion is that it was a hit to scare someone else. He thought that maybe someone owed the wrong someone else something and it was not forthcoming, so Mr. D's murder and the beheading was a message. He thought that maybe Mrs. D was going to be held for ransom but something went wrong so they had to dispose of the body. (at her age, she could have had a heart attack and died.) I don't know if my source has inside info but I do know that he stays in touch with other LE around the state and they talk with each other.

Also emailed a friend at LO. She said that in her circle of friends, they think that it was a hit, and that is why they are not particularly in fear for their safety. Or particularly interested in donating to a reward fund.

Just my opinion and getting by with a little help from my friends. :seeya:

I think I'll go back to my normal obsession-genealogy. It is easier to find people who have been dead for a couple of hundred years than this enigma.

OT ..Bond hearing for the dad who left infant son in car 1:30 today in Atlanta. Two :websleuther: already in court. Will be live streamed.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I am trying to be careful so I do not violate the rules of the site.
I had the opportunity to chat with our local retired Sheriff. He has been following this case. His opinion is that it was a hit to scare someone else. He thought that maybe someone owed the wrong someone else something and it was not forthcoming, so Mr. D's murder and the beheading was a message. He thought that maybe Mrs. D was going to be held for ransom but something went wrong so they had to dispose of the body. (at her age, she could have had a heart attack and died.) I don't know if my source has inside info but I do know that he stays in touch with other LE around the state and they talk with each other.

Also emailed a friend at LO. She said that in her circle of friends, they think that it was a hit, and that is why they are not particularly in fear for their safety. Or particularly interested in donating to a reward fund.

Just my opinion and getting by with a little help from my friends. :seeya:

I think I'll go back to my normal obsession-genealogy. It is easier to find people who have been dead for a couple of hundred years than this enigma.

Thanx for the input DAMIFINO..
Something, among many, that haunts me about this mysterious case is the incident when the NC was suspected of placing the dismembered dog carcass on the steps of one of their perceived adversaries during the zoning ordinance conflicts.. That was meant as a subliminal message/threat..
History repeats itself....jmo

Thanks so much for great insight, makes one understand more of the "why that particular home"? Still, why that manner? Was there some evidence in Mr. D's anatomy (trying to be delicate here) or proof of crime to whoever ordered the hit or just anger? The kidnapping makes sense, too, gives more reason to the question, "why" was Mrs. D being taken from the property. It's eerily similar to another recent case that was mentioned on here. I believe in that case, the shotcaller was in prison? Weren't they gang members going after ADA? This could be more like the Tokars murder case (to do with $, not gang related). Still, someone would have to hire someone who is a fisherman/hunter, wouldn't they? Not your average hit/kidnapping. Why this house is totally relevant. So we have the why/what/when/where/but not the who, I guess you could say. I hope I'm not bending any rules here, either. May need to go back and read them. Going back to my temporary other interest for a while - Wimbledon and soccer.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/resident-question-decision-not-call-gbi-help-putna/nfxjF/

Residents question decision not to call GBI for help in Putnam Co. beheading
<snipped & BBM for Focus>
Quote:
Posted: 5:29 p.m. Thursday, May 15, 2014

Residents in the gated community where an elderly man was beheaded say they&#8217;re surprised their sheriff hasn&#8217;t called the state for help.

Sheriff Sills said his department has not found many clues to the crime or to Shirley Dermond&#8217;s whereabouts, but he said he is not prepared to call the GBI for help, instead relying on his own 40 years in law enforcement.

&#8220;If you can tell me something the GBI knows how to do that I don&#8217;t know how to do then I will be glad and call them,&#8221; Sills said.
[...]
The Putnam County Sheriff&#8217;s Office has not investigated a homicide in a decade.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Putnam County Sheriff&#8217;s Office at 706-485-8557.

The GBI investigates Homicides cases almost daily in GA.. The GBI Elite Special Agents are very well trained, experienced; 'the best of the best'... The GBI's available investigative resources are virtually unlimited.. The GBI utilizes social media; facebook, twitter, etc..

FBI - Social Media for Law Enforcement
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...nforcement-use

Then you're a winner!
I would like to know why the system wasn't repaired then on say, the 29th? And when was it back up and running? Who's in charge of this and did the residents know the system was down?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/body-found-at-lake-oconee/nfyLR/

And in this article from the ajc in May it states KD "revealed" the RP cameras weren't working. Wonder if KDs parents hold him the cameras weren't working in a casual phone call or if SS told KD?
To the WSers who live in RP/ GW --did RP send out an email about this when the cameras went out? Is that SOP?

Foxfire you certainly know a lot about the GBI that I didn't know! Also like that you mentioned the dog reference, I didn't store that little nugget in my memory, mainly because I wasn't going along with the cult connection. Going back to Sills saying this was "personal"...now I think that's why he is keeping it to himself. Whose idea was it to put up the abduction billboards for Mrs. D (family, FBI or SS)? My mind is racing right now. I've got to get more sleep!

Then you're a winner!

Okay, Foxfire, another post.

Most of my friends (almost all) who live "inside the gates" didn't even know there were cameras. I keep saying this, but I must be talking to myself. As far as I know, it may not be working right now.

The only device I see is a radar gun that probably doesn't work either. More of a deterrent to keep people from speeding.

Now, of course, work on a transponder system is underway for all entrances.

LO, Wildebeest (aka Tyra girl), Foxfire, and Damifiknow - Good stuff from you guys. That's very interesting about the cameras. Another dumb question but have to ask - don't the residents pay HOA dues, have a website to inform them what's going on, etc.?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/body-found-at-lake-oconee/nfyLR/

And in this article from the ajc in May it states KD "revealed" the RP cameras weren't working. Wonder if KDs parents hold him the cameras weren't working in a casual phone call or if SS told KD?
To the WSers who live in RP/ GW --did RP send out an email about this when the cameras went out? Is that SOP?

In the AJC article, KD also says it likely these crimes were committed during the day....is that because it's more likely they would have had their security system turned off? They knew they were going to a party Sat night and knew they would be home prior to that (before getting ready to go). I'll bet she even bought a hat to wear to the party....? Hmmm

Foxfire you certainly know a lot about the GBI that I didn't know! Also like that you mentioned the dog reference, I didn't store that little nugget in my memory, mainly because I wasn't going along with the cult connection. Going back to Sills saying this was "personal"...now I think that's why he is keeping it to himself. Whose idea was it to put up the abduction billboards for Mrs. D (family, FBI or SS)? My mind is racing right now. I've got to get more sleep!

Yes, I do Happyshoes, and in 01/2008 my opinion of the GBI wasn't what it is today. I've been researching missing/murdered persons investigations across the US for 6+ years, with a goal of finding common denominators of the ones that are successful and the ones that grow cold. The GBI in 2014 is one of the
best state LEAs in the nation, imo.. I don't say that lightly.. I would put them up against any other investigative agency, including the FBI..jmo

___
Happyshoes, a few years ago the FBI began the Billboard initiative in the USA.
One of the first billboards in Atlanta on I-75 had a photo & info of a violent felon fugitive. The felon was driving by and saw himself on the billboard and turned himself in.. :floorlaugh: The billboard initiative is very effective.. The first time that billboards were used in a missing/murdered persons investigation was in FL; 1998 Rogers Family Murders..

The Pulitzer Prizes | Angels and Demons
http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892

Pulitzer Prize Winning
Angels and Demons. Sunset - Chapter 1. By: Thomas French ... "I believe there are demons all around us," he would say, "just as I believe there are angels all around us"...

Sunset
One year had gone by since the murders, and then another, and now the investigators were deep into a third. They were working day and night, working weekends, putting off vacations, losing weight, gaining weight, growing pale and pasty and haggard, waking at 3 a.m. with a jolt and scratching notes on pads beside their beds. Their sergeant did not know if they would ever find the answer. As far as he was concerned, the case was not even in their hands.

Ultimately, he believed, it was up to God whether they made an arrest.

FBI &#8212; FBI National Digital Billboard Initiative

http://www.fbi.gov/richmond/news-and-outreach/outreach/billboard

www.fbi.gov &#8250; ... &#8250; Community Outreach

Federal Bureau of Investigation

FBI National Digital Billboard Initiative. As the result of a national partnership between the FBI, Adams Outdoor, Clear Channel Outdoor, the Outdoor Advertising ...
<sniped - Read More>

Okay, Foxfire, another post.

Most of my friends (almost all) who live "inside the gates" didn't even know there were cameras. I keep saying this, but I must be talking to myself. As far as I know, it may not be working right now.

The only device I see is a radar gun that probably doesn't work either. More of a deterrent to keep people from speeding.

Now, of course, work on a transponder system is underway for all entrances.

LOL, read my mind about the post...
lakeoconee, I wouldn't think that a person would need a Phd to conclude that a security gatehouse has security cameras.
What do you & your RP/GW friends think about SS refusing to request the GBI's assistance?

Love all this info! Foxfire, keep up the good work you do, that is awesome. You are a skilled researcher and in this day and age, definitely what is needed. The gumshoe method isn't going to help in this case, no matter how dedicated you are, I would say use all the help you can get, SS. Hopefully, he is. Maybe he has the right phone records, although with this kind of planning, they would not have traceable ones in the first place. Some money has to (or had to) change hands somehow, wouldn't it? Follow the money!
I've been meaning to leave the house for an hour, can't seem to get away from WS or tennis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan