GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind we do not know exactly how Cooper was in the back of the car, he may have been able to wiggle free a bit.

Tried them both harressed in their nautilus. Man I forgot how to put that thing together. My 8 yr old can technically fit the harress, she still meets the requirements, my 6 yr old is exceeds them.
The crotch strap was set the furtherest away it was the right spot for my 8 yr old but under my 6yr olds... figured I would not try the other one since we are dealing with a boy lol. Shoulder strap set at the lowest setting. I did not put the extra padding in which might have made them not able to wiggle as freely as they were able to b/c they had a bit of room on each side. I had them try the chest buckle to see if they could break free. 8 yr old came closest to getting free but no dice, the chest strap was so tight it was hard to open. The leg straps were the thing that was hardest on them ( but to be fair this is one of the recalled crotch buckle seats. We never had issues before and I did not have issues today, so maybe their thumbs are not strong enough) Then I told them they were not allowed to use strength to get out but they could wiggle. They were able to just wiggle their shoulders out of the straps and then pull arms out but then they were not able to get out the leg straps. I let them try to unbuckle chest strap again. My 8yr old was able to break free from the chest buckle but legs still stuck but my 6 yr old was still stuck.
Next I pulled the straps up to the highest setting where it should be for my 8yr ( if we still had her harressed) Neither were able to break free by wiggling. 8 yr old able to unbunkle the chest the crotch buckle still to hard. 6 yr old was still stuck b/c it was so tight on him still.

The buckles always were hard to undo if it was tight. That was one way we used to know when we needed to adjust the straps at all.

Hope that makes sense.. neighbors are popping the last of their firecrackers right now and they have my puppies going insane ( running, barking and jumping in my lap ) so my brain is not able to fully function.

ETA: I pulled the straps as tight as I could without hurting my kids so I asked them to be uncomfortable for a bit. I could not slip my pinky between them and the strap.

Thankyou. That is pretty much the result I was expecting. When playing in the house my kids have never fully made it out. Legs are hard to wiggle free. Maybe in a radian, but even that is a long shot.

I really don't think there was anything sinister about the way he was buckled. Most parents use seats wrong. They're simply lazy.

and the dog that we were very much interacted with it. But I regularly see children being pushed around in those massive day care strollers with no one saying a word to them about what they see on the walk - not at all disparaging daycare, but just a recent example. I see parents do the same thing - take the baby for a walk and not talk to it, and most dog owners are the same way. I know if the child can't have a conversation yet, and a dog can't talk, many parents see it as pointless.

<mod snip>

Yes, my dogs and all babies CAN talk. My dogs tell me when they want something, and even when I am annoyed with a bad driver and say errrm.....cuss words...my dogs alert because they know there is a problem (they don't know the definition of the words but they know there is a problem). They also tell me when it is time to feed them, when it is time to go to bed, when they want to go out, when they want a chewy, when there is a strange dog walking down the road, when there is a wild animal in sight, when there is a strange human, on and on.

Wow these threads move quickly! I have a couple of thoughts...but firstly, do we know anything about where this family lived?...apartment? House? mortgage?...I see a a few folks referring to perhaps cooper has been left in the car before whilst RH conducted his activities...I see this said about casey Anthony too..but it has always confused me? How could they leave cooper or caylee in the car whilst doing other things? surely they wouldn't survive this happening even once. If Casey did do this with caylee ..it must have been the first time and ended in her inevitable death.

lawstudent your mother was like mine and like I was (still am) with mine, conversation in the car even if one sided at times. Car rides and walks were learning experiences, a chance to notice the world around and discuss/learn about it.

I don't believe Cooper was left in the car during the heat of summer while parents were doing other things. I do think possibly Cooper was in the vehicle for at least one meet up (not hook up but meet up) where he was only left in the vehicle a brief time (minutes) and not during high heat or cold temps.

I suspect RH was actively attempting to hook up but had only reached the discussion of meet up point with most of his current sexting buddies.

Wish we knew more about the previous alleged affair. Was it after Cooper's birth, before? Was it a one time fling he got caught in or a longer running thing?

you rock eileenhawkeye. I suspected as much. And then the hot animal in car video by the vet was viewed twice, last time on June 5th if I remember. If the dates of those hot child death searches come up after the CSI episode aired it would be telling IMO.

I believe it was June 13th (as CH died on the 18th and Stoddard said 5 days prior)

And somewhere in the two weeks prior to CH's death on 6/18, Luong had charges dismissed in the death of her child in a hot car.

I don't get the uproar about the use of past tense either.

Let's not forget he also lied to LH about Cooper - he was not sweetly asleep with his hands folded and eyes closed!

I don't think dreading something necessarily implies knowledge - just suspicion. I dread getting envelopes from the IRS (even though they sometimes contain a check).

I posted earlier about going to check on my SIL when we couldn't reach her. When I saw both her cars outside, I knew she must be home. I was hoping her phones were malunctioning (though very unlikely that both would malfunction at once), thinking maybe she was alive and lying on the floor, and dreading....

I dreaded opening the front door, afraid that I might smell decomp.

When that didn't happen and I saw her in bed and she didn't respond to my voice, I dreaded approaching to find what I knew must be true.

If I had accidentally left my child in the car, when I got in and realized he was there, I think I would simultaneously be hoping he was okay and dreading looking at him to see what I had done. I think the Irvine prof who left his son in the car and found people, police, and EMTs around his car when he returned to it, probably dreaded looking at his son.

I fully think RH left Cooper in the car seat on purpose, and I think when talking to LH, he meant what we're all thinking when he said he dreaded looking at Cooper -- I just don't think the use of the past tense would influence me as a juror, as IMO, a parent who had accidentally left their child in the car could easily say something similar.

I appreciate your point, and perhaps it was just a bizarre (IMO) word choice in a terrible situation. At least according to him, he didn't realize he'd done it until he was driving and then he quickly pulled over and got him out of the car. Agreed there would be an element of time there for him to dread getting a clearer look at his son from the time he "realized" he left him in there to the time he could pull over, so I take your point.

Nevertheless, I think it is a very strange thing to say to the wife. Who really cares what he dreads/dreaded? Why did he care? He had, on his own account, just roasted his son - and his attention should have been at least on his guilt from having done that as opposed to whether Cooper's appearance would be disturbing enough to be dreaded. Likewise, his wife's concern on whether he said too much is a great legal concern, yet a bizarre topic under the circumstances. Likewise, his concern over his job and possible punishment when his son's life just ended based on his own actions, negligent or intentional.

I just don't get his behavior in any respect. Another example, given that I think he did it on purpose, is cursing the police while he was on the phone. Why do that if you want them to believe it was an accident - why antagonize them at all? That really seems like a reaction of desperation, which would lead more to the innocent side, though I don't really think it indicates that.

So, anyway, digesting your point I think none of it amounts to a confession. But, it all comes together that so far as we know his expressed thoughts to his wife (and maybe there's more to come on that) were more concern for RH's future, and minimizing Cooper's loss (he was peaceful or whatever) which to me is similar to his wife's attitude in her funereal comments, where she said she wouldn't bring Cooper back if she could yet she was "doing it" for RH and perhaps they'd have new children.

Worst to me was watching him during the hearing, during which he showed no reaction that I saw to testimony about Cooper and his death, yet seemed attentive and alert during timeline statements and the like that I suppose he thinks he will be able to torture into saving his hide.

The guy is flat-out bizarre, for certain.

perhaps suicide watch or his own protection keeping him segregated from gen pop or a combo of both concerns?

Why do that if you want them to believe it was an accident - why antagonize them at all?

Because he is an idiot and he was also very stressed at that moment, he just did the deed and now others were witnesses.

If a person were innocent, then the death of their child at their OWN HANDS or even someone else's hands would be devastating, and they wouldn't be lashing out in anger at the annoying police, they would be in total shock or just plain screaming at the sudden and irrevocable loss.

Thankyou. That is pretty much the result I was expecting. When playing in the house my kids have never fully made it out. Legs are hard to wiggle free. Maybe in a radian, but even that is a long shot.

I really don't think there was anything sinister about the way he was buckled. Most parents use seats wrong. They're simply lazy.

Lazy and sometimes just ignorant. Before I got my paralegal cert I'd been a photographer my whole adult life. For myself and for companies doing commercial work and companies doing portrait work. So, I worked for Olan Mills and was part of the big shutdown/layoffs last year. I had a couple come in with a newborn in a carrier. Absurdly strapped in wrong. Like, you couldn't even comprehend her logic in how she strapped this boy in. So, after they learned I had two kids the father asked me if she was doing it right. She glared at him. Apparently they had been fighting about it the whole first week of his life. So, the best way diplomatically that I could, I took the baby and showed them how to strap him in properly. She did thank me. I think it helped that I wasn't a total stranger. I had done her pregnancy photos and they had loved them and came back specifically for me to shoot the baby. Which was one of those happy feeling perks of the job. One of the few at Olan Mills by that point.

I was glad he asked though. I was already thinking of ways at the end of the shoot to show them w/o making them feel stupid... but I was prepared to say, "Look, you're doing it all wrong!"

I believe it was June 13th (as CH died on the 18th and Stoddard said 5 days prior)

And somewhere in the two weeks prior to CH's death on 6/18, Luong had charges dismissed in the death of her child in a hot car.

And two weeks before Cooper's death, possible shortly after this story about Luong, Harris and/or Leanna switched Cooper from a forward facing car seat to a rear facing car seat.

MOO

perhaps suicide watch or his own protection keeping him segregated from gen pop or a combo of both concerns?

I think a combo of both is the most likely answer...

Wow these threads move quickly! I have a couple of thoughts...but firstly, do we know anything about where this family lived?...apartment? House? mortgage?...

It's been said on some of the earlier forms (I don't have a quote handy but it's been reported) that they were renting a townhouse and saving up for a place with a yard for their son to play in.

It is possible the child was sleeping on the way in (which seems to often be the case in deaths that were actually accidental). But if he were awake, there are definitely parents who would talk non-stop to that child, and some who would ignore them. I notice it more and more. I was raised by a very involved mother who talked and explained things to me constantly when I was learning to talk, and she had a similar mother. When I'm around kids, I do the same. It only seems natural to me. We even do it with my dog, and she understands a strange amount of language and interaction - it is noticeable in me, my siblings, and the dog that we were very much interacted with it. But I regularly see children being pushed around in those massive day care strollers with no one saying a word to them about what they see on the walk - not at all disparaging daycare, but just a recent example. I see parents do the same thing - take the baby for a walk and not talk to it,<snip respectfully >

I have never had a child ..but when I hear someone referring to a child as an * it*...sends me *shaking my head and much more and upset*

Perhaps a regional thing but where I come from it is ...never acceptable to call an infant an "it". Perhaps just goes to show how different we all are ...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

On another note, I wonder if RH would confidently allow a trial to go forward because of his narcissism and unawareness of how all of this appears to others. Even if prosecutors tell him of the overwhelming evidence that a jury trial would showcase, would RH still think, "Go ahead. I can sway them with my good looks (ugh!), charm, and tears on cue"?

Probably something like that plus "Maybe I can time the trial so that a penalty phase would interfere with people's summer vacations, then I'd be home free!"

I think Ross could become suicidal if he has shame at his core. He could turn on himself if he becomes aware of his nature- "I'm the perpetrator not the victim."

From what I've read about his words and actions, facial expressions of contempt at the bond hearing, and lack of grief about Cooper's death, I don't think he's suicidal at this time. His cognitive dissonance is in full swing. That could change if he loses the support of his wife and family as more details emerge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members