Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water wells aren't actually holes in the ground. Water wells are where a pipe is drilled into the ground until it connects with a water stream (usually 80-220 feet, depending on elevation). Septic tanks have a 3' diameter lid/cover. If anything other than sewage (such as bleach, or people) is put into the tank, it will result in system failure.

A slough is water that sits on the surface of the ground in a basin. Water levels vary annually. I wonder how deep the slough is. I suspect that "dragging" it would result in churning the mud and grass. I wonder if they'll do a visual inspection and use poles to detect anything at the bottom of the slough.

You're talking drilled wells. There are still plenty of old dug wells around. "Septic Tank Sam" case in Alberta is a prime example of a body being found in an old abandoned well.

Douglas Garland has spoken to duty counsel, adjournment to Wednesday for a bail hearing #yyc

It looks like police, crown, and courts are working together to keep Garland in custody until they can gather more evidence.

You're talking drilled wells. There are still plenty of old dug wells around. "Septic Tank Sam" case in Alberta is a prime example of a body being found in an old abandoned well.

LOL ... correcting my own self here. Obviously "Septic Tank Sam" was found in a septic tank. Doh :blush:

Meghan Grant @CBCMeg
Douglas Garland sketch "person of interest" in missing family case #cbc via @JaniceEFletcher pic.twitter.com/a6tsYUIxHA

How long has that parcel of land been inhabited? Wonder if all the buildings are from the G's time there or if they bought existing property back in the 60s? I mentioned yesterday I found DG's parents on the electoral lists on Ancestry from the late 50s to early 70s. They lived in southwest Calgary up until late 60s.

News Talk 770 @NewsTalk770
Here's the view above the slough where police are gutting a dark SUV. Photo from Gabby Rios in our chopper. #yyc

Br9XOgQCMAADkw9.jpg

https://twitter.com/NewsTalk770

I have a feeling it is going to be fairly slow going if they get right out in the middle of that slough....believe me it will be like a quagmire ...mud...rotten vegetation....I got stuck in one once *when I was young and thinking I was infallible*...went in with rubber boots on....the slough kept my rubber boots and I had to literally swim out and try not to touch bottom....closest thing to quicksand I've ever experienced....messy to say the least....and with it being standing water....the skeeters....don't even want to think about it.....ick.....

I am talking about water wells that are drilled. If it's necessary to drill 80-220 feet to reach water for the drilled water wells, then it seems unlikely that there will be abandoned 'hole in the ground' water wells on the prairie ... but anything is possible.

It sounds like that body of Septic Tank Sam was found in a septic tank on an abandoned farm property. The property that is being searched appears to be from the 1960s or 1970s and was probably agricultural land before it was subdivided into 40 acre parcels. I would be very surprised to learn that there was an abandoned well, abandoned septic tank, bomb shelter, or tornado shelter on the property.

When was the last time DG parents seen at all? I mean are they around? Alive? Did he kill them? Police are taking items from the house and have nothing to charge this guy with yet?
I do wish they would make a definitive statement on DG's parents. I know a number of posts have questioned the likelihood of people in their 80's camping. I agree it's unlikely for tent camping, but they could have a travel trailer/motor home parked in a campground that they visit. My parents did that well into their 70's.

Another possibility ... not sure about Calgary, but here where I live (Pennsylvania) people go "camping" all the time at actual camps. These are small homes in our forests that have been in families from generation to generation. You can drive right up to the front porch without difficulty. Some are kind of primitive, but some are very cozy with kitchens, bathrooms, etc.

Just some thoughts that I meant to post yesterday.

How long has that parcel of land been inhabited? Wonder if all the buildings are from the G's time there or if they bought existing property back in the 60s? I mentioned yesterday I found DG's parents on the electoral lists on Ancestry from the late 50s to early 70s. They lived in southwest Calgary up until late 60s.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...convicted-drug-trafficker-has-ties-to-family/

Land title documents show the family bought the land in 1973.

When the family farm was raided in 1992 and DG's meth lab was discovered, the parents would have been in their late 50s. Did they really not know about their son's hobby

I was wondering that same thing...

:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members