The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 8th July - Trial Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Fuller said Baden-Clay’s business dreams “hadn’t come to pass”.

He said the accused’s friends invested $90,000 each into the business and the loans were unsecured, while interest was largely unpaid.

“Hardly the hallmarks of due diligence and financial acumen,” he said.

Mr Fuller said Baden-Clay paid out his partners just $1 each for their share in the sales side of the real estate business.

He said that by the end of 2011, Baden-Clay wanted ownership of the rent roll and he needed to raise $300,000.

He said the jury might think an ambitious contract was entered in November, 2011, to be finalised by December that same year, but it did not come to pass.

Mr Fuller said the accused turned to Moggill MP Bruce Flegg and Century 21 founder Charles Tarby for the money.

He said the contract was amended so that he only had to pay $30,000, plus interest instalments, with the rest to be paid by September, 2012.

Mr Fuller said Baden-Clay had almost $200,000 worth of shares as at April, 2012.

He said the accused’s friends were saddled with the risk while Baden-Clay’s own finances were secured to protect him.

He said Baden-Clay called Sue Heath for money in tears because he feared going bankrupt.

“He even told Toni McHugh they were in trouble. Told Toni McHugh he was thinking of selling the business,” he said.

Mr Fuller said Baden-Clay told the police his wife only had access to $20 and they were “on the bones of our arse” on April 20, 2012.

He said the accused told police he could not even afford to buy new razor blades.

“What happens to those assets if he and his wife split, ladies and gentlemen? His interest isn’t all of it, his wife has an interest in it,” he said.

“His success has been elusive, you might think. Sure he won awards early on, but there were no awards in 2011 and 2012.”

Mr Fuller said those pressures were bearing down on the accused when his wife took him to see Relationships Australia counsellor Carmel Ritchie on April 16, 2012.

He said Baden-Clay was told to listen to his wife so she could discuss the affair but he was reluctant and could not see a benefit.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

I'm surprised that the Prosecution were allowed to actually say/imply all that they did.
Can I ask from people who were at court if the defence objected often or at all?

There was nothing incorrect in what they were saying.....

She was happy that he had engaged in the process, you might think she had been trying for a long time for him to confront his demons and have a serious conversation,” he said.

Mr Fuller said it put into context the list and “sordid detail” Ms Baden-Clay had written down in her journal on April 18, 2012.

“He was resistant to the concept of it. Now why is that, ladies and gentlemen? He doesn’t want to confront those demons? Or does he not want to have to think about the times that he might of thought were happier in his life, when he was with Toni McHugh? Being asked to relive each of those?,” he said.

The trial will continue tomorrow from 10am.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-allison-in-2012/story-fnihsrf2-1226980999956

That is what I thought - there is a bird on twitter spreading it again as truth

Did they use the baden clay hashtag? I couldn't see it.
They may have inside info but I don't believe it was ever confirmed.

I'm surprised that the Prosecution were allowed to actually say/imply all that they did.
Can I ask from people who were at court if the defence objected often or at all?

Genuine question - why are you surprised ? Isn't he just stating what the evidence potentially shows ?

I don't think he was ever going to leave Allison for Toni, he was also not about to finish things with Toni at that time, maybe later when he found someone new perhaps, but only when he wanted to finish the affair....the "I will be separated by July 1" was just blah blah blah BS from him, it kept Toni quiet for a bit longer, but this man wanted it all didn't he, the whole damn lot, family, lover(s), community standing, etc, the only problem was his wife didn't want a bar of all that, and something happened that night to make everything come crashing down in Ger's world, there was a trigger and we may never know exactly what the trigger was but there was one and Allison died
I think that the trigger was changing the life insurance policy , rolling into one . This was Alison's threat that night and that she intended to do just that tomorrow . Moo. He felt he was left with no choice but to act. Before tomorrow .

I feel that it was several things that built up that day and he just couldn't/wouldn't see any way but killing her [emoji35]

It may have started harmlessly enough - by wishing perhaps that she was in a car accident or similar and got to thinking how that would solve everything

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 48s
Fuller points out Allison's mention of Gerard "being a gadget person".

A gadget person who can't use a mower, blower or whipper snipper. Really handy.
His laziness will be his undoing.[/QUOTE]

Only because people with 2 last names can't do their own stuff you know lol. They hire people with 1 last name for that sort of business lol

Allison's diary entry saying, 'maybe I am still harbouring regrets about getting married ... ' is very telling.

It seems to me that deep down she realised from early after the 'ceremony' that the Baden-Clay product was not all it had made itself out to be.

How terribly sad.

Fuller is excellent, I think he's tied everything together, and by now the jury will have forgotten everything the Defence claimed.
Fingers crossed for a smart jury or at least one with common sense.

I think that the trigger was changing the life insurance policy , rolling into one . This was Alison's threat that night and that she intended to do just that tomorrow . Moo. He felt he was left with no choice but to act. Before tomorrow .

I've always thought that he was just too gutless to actually kill someone, to think about doing it perhaps for sure, but to actually complete the act.... I don't know, we will probably never know what happened for sure

Just wanted to say thank you to all the posters who posted tweets and links today. I don't post all that much, but feel like I've been through the wringer with you all. As a local who knew most of the parties involved, it's been a distressing two years. I hope to go to court tomorrow and I pray for justice for Allison. That has been the worst part - her being painted out to be nuts by the Defence when most of us can see, even if we didn't know her that it's just patently false.

Allison's diary entry saying, 'maybe I am still harbouring regrets about getting married ... ' is very telling.

It seems to me that deep down she realised from early after the 'ceremony' that the Baden-Clay product was not all it had made itself out to be.

How terribly sad.

I found that entry hard to hear too. I think his "wrapping paper" came off pretty quickly. He would have oozed charm when he was trying to catch Allison but after that thrill was done he discarded her pretty quickly and moved onto the next "thrill" . Mumma BC probably had a life pretty similar is my bet.
IMO

Did they use the baden clay hashtag? I couldn't see it.
They may have inside info but I don't believe it was ever confirmed.

Yes they did.

at 325pm today - not sure if i am allowed to post the link here

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m
How did he repay her? Told staff he still loved Toni - Fuller

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 1m
Fuller says how did he repay her? Phoning, emailing Toni. And of course, telling other staff he still loved Toni.

Heartbreaking.

I agree, imo, Allison didn't say or do anything to bring the worst out of him that night, this was his Plan D. Whether his parents and sister can believe it or not, GBC is a callous and cold hearted killer. jmo

I found that entry hard to hear too. I think his "wrapping paper" came off pretty quickly. He would have oozed charm when he was trying to catch Allison but after that thrill was done he discarded her pretty quickly and moved onto the next "thrill" . Mumma BC probably had a life pretty similar is my bet.
IMO

my thoughts exactly, pretty sad all around

I've always thought that he was just too gutless to actually kill someone, to think about doing it perhaps for sure, but to actually complete the act.... I don't know, we will probably never know what happened for sure

I think that his selfishness ultimately outweighed his gutlessness when it came down to it. He felt his precious self was jeopardised.....and I think he lost it. JMO :seeya:

Genuine question - why are you surprised ? Isn't he just stating what the evidence potentially shows ?

Believe me, I am very happy how the prosecution handled today, but the implications that he murdered her without having any proof and describing it the way he did just surprised me that defence wouldn't object as it's speculation.
Hope I explained that ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members