The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just re-reading Const. Ash's statement and a couple of things jumped out at me again.

Gerard said that he had driven around a few of the local streets that A normally walked along. He said that he couldn't find her and had to return home to get his daughters up, give them breakfast and get ready for school as well as get himself ready by having a Sh, Sh, Sh.......

Hadn't he already stated in his txts to A that the girls were already up.

I asked Olivia Walton what the girls had been told that morning. She said "that Gerard told the girls shortly after 6am that mummy had gone for a walk and probably fell down a hole and would not be back". She then asked 'is that ok?'

Apart from the WTF factor of telling your children that about your mother and her asking if that was OK. I mean really, WTFF. She is also stating that the girls were up just after 6am. So why would he then need to rush back to get them up as per above.

Just saying is all.

Imo it all sounds a bit shifty probably because he is covering a lie. He glosses over the "drove round streets looking for Allison", with the children and stuff he has to do.

If he was really concerned, these things wouldn't have mattered, getting himself and girls ready, he wants to point out to police he has important matters to attend to and by the way, my wife is missing. jmo

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 52s
Defence suggested water movement in Kholo Creek could explain leaves in Allison's hair - Justice Byrne

Defence said the accused had never attempted to conceal the marks on his face - Justice Byrne

That's because there was no way to cover them.

as a relative latecomer, previous lurker, i just want to say how much i admire all of you who have stuck throughout the last two plus years to wanting to see absolute justice for allison. I am feeling exhausted, so cannot begin to think how some of you, like kiwijayne, liadan and in fact too many to name, must be feeling.

Yes, my first thoughts and no doubt all of your thoughts are with allison's girls, family and friends. All sleuthers and ws deserve some high accolades as well.

Well done, and may the right verdict be reached.

I now can do with some dough nuts, squiz!?

ditto !

Yes - any unusual behaviours or "manifestations"? Is he strutting around loudly self-promoting, or is he subdued and hiding somewhere? Are his GG's fawning over him and treating him as a superstar, or have they turned on him and are the feathers flying? It would be fascinating to know.

:floorlaugh::chicken::chicken::hen::turkey:

Eeek!! Jury is out... Butterflies ( not caterpillars) in my tummy!

11.11am:

He said Crown Prosecutor Todd Fuller QC told the jury Ms Baden-Clay had her last child some six years before learning her husband’s brother was welcoming a baby boy into his family on April 18, 2012.

He said it would take a considerable time to walk 13km to the Kholo Creek Bridge at Anstead and Ms Baden-Clay was a “reluctant exerciser”.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller contended Baden-Clay knew the area around Anstead as he had dealt with properties in the area.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury mud was unlikely to be found in the Holden Captiva because there had been no rain on April 19, 2012.

He told the jury Mr Fuller said a police officer who injured himself while recovering the body did so on the mud bank, not walking down from the bridge.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury the position of Ms Baden-Clay’s body was consistent with it having been rolled or pushed.

Justice Byrne told the jury Mr Fuller used the evidence of a hydrologist to remind the jury there was not enough water to have moved Ms Baden-Clay’s body.

He said Mr Fuller argued there were no diatoms found in the body, consistent with her not having drowned.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury the bruised chest and chipped tooth was consistent with a struggle.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller argued Ms Baden-Clay had used Zoloft since 2003 and had been using it in a 100mg dose for seven months before her death.

He said Mr Fuller argued she did not experience “serotonin syndrome”.

He said Mr Fuller said Ms Baden-Clay’s friends said she was excited and happy in the days and weeks before her death.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...wipe-slate-clean/story-fnihsrf2-1226983491477

[/B]

Short of wearing a bag on his head. Or a mask.

I can just picture it - police arrive at the house to find GBC with a "Phantom of the Opera" style mask concealing one half of his face.

"Oh, this?...I'm just about to head off to rehearsals with the local amateur theatre company. Yes, we rehearse early every Friday morning. I've got a part in the upcoming musical. I'm tired because I've been up all night rehearsing my lines."

Just about as believable as some of the other "explanations" he has come up with.

Squizzy, your little green frog tummy needs to hold off on gutsing all the donuts!

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller told the jury that by April, 2012, she took her husband to see two counsellors and by the 19th of April was not depressed or affected by drugs.

He argued that only the person who killed Ms Baden-Clay knew how it was done.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury six leaf species were found entwined in Ms Baden-Clay’s hair and jumper but just two of the species were found at Kholo Creek.

He said Mr Fuller argued all six plant species were found around the couple’s Brookfield home.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller told the jury the blood of the deceased was hidden from view in the Holden Captiva until the seats were folded up. He argued it was consistent with an injury causing Ms Baden-Clay to bleed on the night she was killed.

He said Mr Fuller submitted experts identified two distinct injuries on Baden-Clay’s face: one consistent with fingernails and the other consistent with shaving marks to disguise them.

He said Mr Fuller said the marks were consistent with their being a close struggle.

He said Mr Fuller contended the scratches were Ms Baden-Clay’s “mark on him” and showed he used violence against his wife.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller argued the phone charger was on the accused’s side of the bed and the only evidence that his wife had it that night came from Baden-Clay himself.

He said Mr Fuller argued Baden-Clay was under financial pressure, relationship pressure from his wife and his mistress Toni McHugh.

He said Mr Fuller characterised the testimony of the accused as “scripted”.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller told the jury his wife had become involved in the business after discovering the affair and when he resumed the relationship with Ms McHugh, it was restricted.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury Baden-Clay did not have the courage to leave his wife and told Ms McHugh he loved her during various meetings.

He said Mr Fuller argued the accused went to counselling with his wife on April 16, 2012.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury Baden-Clay “made up a story” when testifying about the secret emails he wrote to Ms McHugh, promising to leave her by July 1, but in evidence claiming he did it to “placate” her.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller argued Baden-Clay had to either tell his wife about the impending meeting with his mistress on April 20, 2012 or do nothing.

He said Mr Fuller argued the risk to Baden-Clay the two women would meet at the conference were significant, both professionally and personally.

He said Mr Fuller told the jury the accused did not know if his wife was on medication and expressed that she was “fine” to police on April 20, 2012.

Justice Byrne said Mr Fuller argued Baden-Clay had an opportunity to kill, scratches on his right cheek he had lied about, long-term tension with his wife, tension with Ms McHugh, problems with his business and debt, discussion with Ms McHugh on the evening of April 19, 2012 and the possibility his wife would find out he had continued the affair at a real estate conference the next day.

He said Mr Fuller contended the encounter was personal, violent and effective.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...wipe-slate-clean/story-fnihsrf2-1226983491477

Imo it all sounds a bit shifty probably because he is covering a lie. He glosses over the "drove round streets looking for Allison", with the children and stuff he has to do.

If he was really concerned, these things wouldn't have mattered, getting himself and girls ready, he wants to point out to police he has important matters to attend to and by the way, my wife is missing. jmo

Exactly...if the kids DID miss school, so what? If he was so concerned about Allison that he called the police, surely sending the kids off to school would become completely irrelevant. Unless you wanted to get them out of there for some reason, before police arrived.

11:33am: If the verdict is guilty of murder, no further verdict will be taken.

However, if the verdict is not guilty, Justice Byrne's associate will ask: "How do you find the accused again naming him guilty or not guilty of manslaughter?"

The jury's speaker will answer.

The jury will then be asked again to collectively confirm the verdict is unanimous.

11:31am: Once the jury has reached its verdict it will return to the courtroom where Justice Byrne's associate will ask:

"Have you agreed upon a verdict?"

If so, the jurors will reply 'Yes'.

The associate will then ask: "Do you find the accused Gerard Robert Baden-Clay guilty or not guilty of murder?"

Thy jury's speaker will then state the verdict.

The associate will then ask: "So says your speaker, so say you all?"

That is the time-honoured method for inviting the whole of the jury to signify that the verdict announced by the speaker is indeed the verdict of the entire jury.

If so, the jury will collectively confirm the verdict by saying "Yes".

11:26am Recap: Justice Byrne's final instructions to the jury:

"If you find that you need further direction on the case, please send a written message through the Bailiff.

"Likewise, should you wish to be reminded of evidence, let the Bailiff know, and make a note of what you want. In that ... the court would recommence. When you return to the courtroom I would provide such further assistance on the law as I can or arrange for the relevant part of the transcript to be found for you and read out, if need be."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...y-18-week-5-20140710-3bnzp.html#ixzz371dpj5pv

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 52s
Defence suggested water movement in Kholo Creek could explain leaves in Allison's hair - Justice Byrne

Defence said the accused had never attempted to conceal the marks on his face - Justice Byrne

Alioop, you may have missed it a few pages back when the tweets were coming through quickly, but another member stated that this trial does not include the "interfering with a corpse" charge. Can you tell us if this is true? I thought it would all be in the same trial....clearly he's guilty of both if found guilty for murder?

I will be making Frosty Paws (peanut butter plus vanilla ice cream) since the donuts are so far away. ;)

I have a question, what was the judge summarizing yesterday? It seemed like he covered the same stuff twice, with the defense case in between?

WOW - There we are - we're at DAY 18 and now waiting for a verdict.

How much notice is given for when the court returns to deliver the verdict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth