The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 10th July - Trial Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightie night best people in the world :pillowfight2::pillowfight2::pillowfight2::pillowfight2::pillowfight2:

School hols and going gangsters here. h e l p .... Xx

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-10/baden-clay-murder-trial-day-one/5511298

Proceedings began with the selection of a jury of seven men and five women, plus three women as reserves.

All passed a questionnaire aimed at ensuring a fair trial.

They were asked a series of questions, including whether they lived in Brookfield or nearby in 2012, if they took part in any fundraising for the victim, or if they had ever expressed a view on the case.

Didn't they need to ask additional questions with one of the jury members during the jury selection process? (just before they confirmed the jury had been selected).

Sitting here in my trackies watching The Footy Show while hubby has ducked off to bed with a sore throat....All feeling a bit too raw tonight as we hold our collective breaths and hold our virtual hands behind the Dickies and those three beautiful girls tonight. Allison will be remembered forever while the person that took her from the world will be locked away and forgotten in a cold, dark cell.

IMOO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you're all set for your morning walk then.... Sure he's really sick...:thinking:

Samantha! Don't turn your back on this man tonight, is his name GerRed or Bruce?
Go lock the cars and hide the keys......NOW!

:/

Scenario.
As Allison suffered asthma I thought if he'd held the pillow over her face and went into the other room then later realised what he'd done and it was too late.

If she'd died that way, was it the asthma or him and the pillow??

Scenario.
A person who is threatened, runs for their life, runs out in front of a car and gets killed.
I believe the killer is the person who first was threatening their life to make him run. Not the driver of the car.

Being asthmatic can mean you get affected by environmental factors like dust, cold air, etc and other irritants like viruses and exercise can affect you more etc, but I don't see any way he could accidentally suffocate an asthmatic. It'd take a while to do as any other person. I don't see where that would differ for being asthmatic. The scratches I believe occurred while she was being suffocated, they have that kind of ring to it.

I've been thinking about this too . It could have been arranged in person earlier in the evening for someone to come over later and sit with the kids while we go out and vent .... Or even in one of the calls earlier in the day . As Fuller suggested , that venting session took place on the 19 th not the 18 th .
Or the call from Allison's phone to Olivia that night was actually Gerard using Allison's phone.

I haven't had time to keep up with all posts, but if a verdict comes in tomorrow, or whenever, are those of us in Brisbane going to meet up and celebrate justice for Allison. Not to trivialise the crime but to have a drink in honour of Allison and justice. I realise some may prefer to remain anonymous..
I definitely will :)

I cannot see any logical way for manslaughter. Either you think he killed her or you don't. If you think he killed her you believe she caused the scratches to his face which means it wasn't a sudden accidental death and at minimum he was intending to cause grievous bodily harm which lead to her death = intent = murder.

I am a little bit worried they may come back with a manslaughter verdict as opposed to murder(I seriously hope not, though it is a better outcome than an outright aquital. Which I don't really think will happen). Simply because, they have no cause of death really. They may agree based on the evidence that he did kill her, but whether they can prove or believe intent is another thing. They could find him guilty of killing Allison- but can they say reasonably that he intended to do it, if they have no cause of death? They don't know for sure that those scratches were inflicted by Allison as he choked or suffocated her. It is not my belief that he didn't intend to, by the way..just trying to look at it from the point of view of jury and the law... I might be missing something with it though.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-10/baden-clay-murder-trial-day-one/5511298

Proceedings began with the selection of a jury of seven men and five women, plus three women as reserves.

All passed a questionnaire aimed at ensuring a fair trial.

They were asked a series of questions, including whether they lived in Brookfield or nearby in 2012, if they took part in any fundraising for the victim, or if they had ever expressed a view on the case.

Thanks Tootsie.

Just found where I read that additional questions had been asked - it was actually 2 potential jurors that were further questioned (not one as I mistakenly said).

12:20pm: Two jurors have been cross-examined in relation to their answers to the questionnaire, but both will remain on the jury.

The jury will now be formally empanelled.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ay-1-week-1-20140609-39srt.html#ixzz374mLi9Ht

I'm off to bed too. Night all. Tomorrow may bring justice :)

Anyone notice the photo of CLAY & Flegg in this article ARE THEY BEHIND BARS????

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ing-wife-allison/story-fnihsrf2-1226959211797

How appropriate!

264897-ef6704be-f768-11e3-9227-d59f5c5d579b.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ing-wife-allison/story-fnihsrf2-1226959211797

Sorry if I'm repeating what has already been said, but I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the thread.

I note that one of the jurors has been admonished by the judge for downloading information from the internet on the role of a jury in a criminal trial.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rs-deliberations-continue-20140710-zt35q.html

A few years ago I was the foreman of a jury. They chose me because no-one else wanted to do it and I have previous experience facilitating groups so they thought I would be able to keep them on task (which I was able to do for the most part). Not sure what they do now, but at that time the court did not give me any information about how to structure the process of contemplating the evidence to ensure that it is well-considered and everyone had a chance to air their views. I was given no information about how to resolve differences of opinion about the evidence which can be really tricky to negotiate.

Nearly the first thing that juries do is to take a poll to see how people are thinking before any deliberations. What I was lucky enough to know before I was given the role of foreman, was that this is a very unhelpful strategy early in the process as it commits people to their position and can make it difficult for them to see the evidence in other ways (even when the poll is anonymous). Because of what I knew, I avoided taking a poll until we had all had a chance to discuss our different views about the evidence.

I wonder whether the juror in this trial who did the internet search was seeking some information on process, because it is not easy to talk about multiple pieces of evidence and manage 12 people's ideas about it, let alone come to some sort of consensus re verdict.

The trial I was involved in was not a murder trial, but I found the experience a great responsibility and very draining (especially having to stand up in court and state our verdict). The stakes were not as high as in this situation and I can imagine the jury in this trial wants to make sure that they do the best job they can in considering the evidence and reaching a verdict. Just my two cents...

No, that's got to be worth a $1 :)
Thanks so much for your post.
I hope too the Jurors take their time - as long as they need.

Somewhere back in the thread I'm sure I read that there was 180 pieces of evidence for review.
I'm sure they are feeling the pressure.

If a verdict comes in on Friday I may or may not be able to rush away from work and come in for it. If anyone wishes to meet after that for a drink, <modsnip> Sorry marly if this breaks the rules, something I am not prone to do, but in this instance I couldnt think of any other way to do this.

I can only hope our drinks will be of celebration not comiseration.

Thanks Makara. Would that photoshopped or superimposed?

I'm back. I can't sleep. What if the jurors are extra cautious and acquit. Will there be a public outcry?

I can't bare the thought of OW standing for the media in all her purple arrogance. ....now I'll never sleep.

I'm sure it is photoshopped.

I worry about the same thing. The consequences of not guilty will just be further devastation for the Dickies and the girls, and the wider circle of Allisons friends and supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni