The Verdict Waiting Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read that the Judge said no weekend deliberating for the jury.

My mum went for a walk this morning and found a single very long stemmed sunflower in a field.
She dug it up and potted it and bought it over to me.
I got a tear in my eye and was so dumbfounded I literally had my mouth open.
She asked what my problem was, she practically knows everything about this case except for the significance of sunflowers.
She couldn't believe the coincidence either when I explained it to her.

Wow! Now that has given me goose bumps plus brought tears to my eyes!

“It may be that, even if you were to find that the accused lied about his facial injuries because he realised that the truth would show him to be the killer, still you would not conclude that the lie shows that he realised that her death after scratching him with her fingernails would show that he had killed her intentionally.” Judge Byrne

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/gerard-badenclay-murder-trial-judge-warns-jury-not-to-consult-outside-sources/story-fnihsrf2-1226984982501

I can't believe the jury will come back with a manslaughter verdict if they take Judge Byrne's words seriously, those scratches show that he killed her intentionally. Allison fought for her life, he could have stopped at any moment during those moments he overpowered her.

There have been many cases where a man has attempted to strangle a woman but stopped short of killing her.
I will be very disappointed with a manslaughter verdict, I would really like to know how they came to that conclusion as I am sure the Dickies would too. jmo

Yes, I remember when she posted that. I was not a member yet but a "lurker". Allison was calling out to be found :(

I remember too! I was tempted to go and look, the weather was terrible really poured that weekend.

The wait must be excruciating for the Dickies & family & friends. I can't imagine the emotions they must be going thru :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

I don't understand why anyone who kills someone accidentley, even in a rage, does not call for help. Most of us wouldn't know if the person was really dead or could be helped but it must mean something that he didn't..

If 'media coverage' was an issue initially, should they have requested a Judge only trial?

As in this example:

Simon Gittany was charged with the murder of Lisa Cecilia Harnum on 30 July 2011. He pleaded not guilty to that charge. On his application,the judge ordered that he be tried by a judge alone: R v Gittany [2013] NSWSC 1503.

This event attracted much attention in the media and there was considerable public interest. This is an interesting case to explore, as there was no jury and the judge in this case found Simon Gittany to be guilty of the murder of Lisa Harnum.

http://guides.sl.nsw.gov.au/content.php?pid=242811&sid=4470050

The jury considering the fate of Gerard Baden-Clay has requested clarification about how it should interpret allegations the accused wife killer lied under oath.

The jury returned to the courtroom on Friday morning, for the fourth time since it began its deliberations, after sending a note to Justice John Byrne requesting he re-read part of his summing up of the case.

Justice Byrne first asked the jury’s speaker to identify which part of his summing up the group wanted to hear again.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...mation-about-alleged-lies-20140711-zt3yv.html

What would be a sentence for interfering with a corpse?

If they only come back with manslaughter, then hoping the other charge might add to it a fair bit.

If they are thinking manslaughter, why? I would only think manslaughter if there was not much motivation for murder. In this case there is lots of motivation!

Sorry if my comments are irrelevant due to me not being able to keep up - but when I went on Twitter before I saw some tweets when I was searching saying that the recent questions by the jury about lies included questions about whether lies prove guilt, but also questions about lies about shaving cuts. I hope they are clear that according to the judge telling lies in itself does not indicate guilt of murder, however that if you believe lies were told to cover incriminating things that implicate you in the murder, then you can still find the person guiltyif you believe they are lies and you believe that the truth does indicate the person committed a murder (or manslaughter). Does that make sense? Am I correct on this. I hope the jury does not get confused and feel they can't return a guilty verdict even though they think he is guilty.

If they only come back with manslaughter, then hoping the other charge might add to it a fair bit.

If they are thinking manslaughter, why? I would only think manslaughter if there was not much motivation for murder. In this case there is lots of motivation!

are they still doing the interfering with a corpse?

If 'media coverage' was an issue initially, should they have requested a Judge only trial?

As in this example:

Simon Gittany was charged with the murder of Lisa Cecilia Harnum on 30 July 2011. He pleaded not guilty to that charge. On his application,the judge ordered that he be tried by a judge alone: R v Gittany [2013] NSWSC 1503.

This event attracted much attention in the media and there was considerable public interest. This is an interesting case to explore, as there was no jury and the judge in this case found Simon Gittany to be guilty of the murder of Lisa Harnum.

http://guides.sl.nsw.gov.au/content.php?pid=242811&sid=4470050
Yes, it makes me wonder why the defence didn't request it.

Sorry if my comments are irrelevant due to me not being able to keep up - but when I went on Twitter before I saw some tweets when I was searching saying that the recent questions by the jury about lies included questions about whether lies prove guilt, but also questions about lies about shaving cuts. I hope they are clear that according to the judge telling lies in itself does not indicate guilt of murder, however that if you believe lies were told to cover incriminating things that implicate you in the murder, then you can still find the person guiltyif you believe they are lies and you believe that the truth does indicate the person committed a murder (or manslaughter). Does that make sense? Am I correct on this. I hope the jury does not get confused and feel they can't return a guilty verdict even though they think he is guilty.

Yes this can be quite confusing to a jury in my view. It's similar to the direction that just because he refrained from making a statement doesn't mean he is guilty. Basically the jury are not allowed to infer that *just because* he lied he is guilty. But they can take his lies into account in deciding whether or not they believe his evidence given in Court.

From yesterday...

I delved a little deeper & have just heard this is in fact correct. The interfering with a corpse charge has been dropped & GBC is on trial for just the murder charge.

I knew I'd read it somewhere....

June 9, 2014

Gerard Baden-Clay was charged with one count each of murder and unlawfully interfering with a corpse on June 13, 2012.

Police subsequently dropped the latter charge.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...sappearance-20140609-zs1z9.html#ixzz372DoQiby

Wow! Now that has given me goose bumps plus brought tears to my eyes!

I know, it still amazes me each time I look at it. I am terrible at keeping plants alive, so I need all of you to wish it well and to grow. I have a feeling though it will flourish all on its own. I will post a pic of it tomorrow. My camera is a little bit hurt, but I'm hoping it will be ok soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288