France - Missing climber Patrice Hyvert found after 32 years

zwiebel

Reaction score
Very sad story. The frozen body of a climber, Patrice Hyvert, who went missing on the Mount Blanc Range in France 32 years ago, has been found.

But his 82 year old father is stricken. He says it's like his son's death, which he accepted long ago, is happening all over again. He wishes he could have stayed where he was.

I realize how it sounds and that it's an unusual reaction but I think I understand. This elderly gentleman had resigned himself that his son was dead and that he knew where he was - that his final resting place was 'under a rock' on the snowy heights.

Now it's almost like his son's body has been exhumed, to him.

Of course, the person who found Patrice Hyvert did the right thing, and should be congratulated. But I don't think the father should be judged either - on mountains like Everest, many dead climbers are left on the ascents forever. I don't agree with it myself, but it's accepted amongst the climbing community, as you can see at this link. WARNING, deceased climbers shown at link:

http://sometimes-interesting.com/2011/06/29/over-200-dead-bodies-on-mount-everest/

'Gérard Hyvert, now 82, described it as a body blow like a "second death" when two gendarmes and an official from the local mayor's office came to his door with the news that his son's body had been found.

"I can't say that it came as a relief. I would have preferred him to have stayed up there," he told Le Parisien newspaper. Hyvert, who alerted rescue services to the fact that his son had gone missing, had presumed he was "under a rock" somewhere on the mountain face.'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...yvert-frozen-body-discovered-32-years-missing

Profondes condoléances, M. Hyvert.

Rest in Peace, Patrice Hyvert.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 74
I really do feel such deep sympathy for M. Gerard Hyvert. Having to cope with your child's death for a second time, in your 80s, must be so hard. :(

Patrice Hyvert has been found, so he could get a proper burial. I cannot imagine what his father is going through at the age of 80.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back