The Verdict Waiting Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a great book called Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me. In it they said the best way to get someone on your side, or get them to like you, is to get them to help you.

How long was their engagement?
Did they live together before marriage?

If they knew each other a short time maybe Allison didn't see his traits in time.
Also I think something happened o/seas because in her diary she wasn't happy about something. Either angry or depressed.

Would be interesting to know the time line of their courtship. He said that he asked her to marry him under the fake landmark and she asked for a week to think about it. That rings warning bells for me. Shows he was further advanced in his idea of the relationship than she was. When my husband proposed there is no way I was in need of time to think about it. (Was more like..it's about time!!!) He didn't want her to be wondering where he was going to pop the question while they were overseas. So he got that over and done with before leaving. No this has got me wondering if there was 2 overseas trips??

Some interesting reading about a local case involving the recent hit-and-run killing of a cyclist. It has taken some time but finally there has been an arrest.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/accused-hit-and-run-killer-geoffrey-sleba-released/2315896/

What really struck me though was an earlier event involving the person who has been arrested and that some of you might have heard about (it has been mentioned at least once on WS). Reading the findings of the inquest sent a chill down my spine. (I hope it is OK for me to copy this link - it is in the public domain)

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/95278/cif-sleba-lm-20110624.pdf

Very interesting reading, also extremely sad.

Would be interesting to know the time line of their courtship. He said that he asked her to marry him under the fake landmark and she asked for a week to think about it. That rings warning bells for me. Shows he was further advanced in his idea of the relationship than she was. When my husband proposed there is no way I was in need of time to think about it. (Was more like..it's about time!!!) He didn't want her to be wondering where he was going to pop the question while they were overseas. So he got that over and done with before leaving. No this has got me wondering if there was 2 overseas trips??

It is also alleged (in earlier WS threads) that GBC had Allison sign over all her worldly goods, superannuation, assets to him in a Last WILL & Testament drawn up before she married him. Allison obliged. This has always concerned me as being favorable to GBC right from the start. It is something I'm uncomfortable about. Many marriages just don't work out after the ceremony or once children arrive. IMO it just seems like 'blind trust' (naive) to hand over this power to your partner before marriage. My opinion only.

Monday 16 June 2014

"Dickie said that once, in a phone conversation, Allison had told her that Gerard no longer loved her but that she didn't want to leave him because she loved him and she didn't want to leave their daughters".

For a mother to even contemplate that the children weren't hers and had to remain with the father tells me that she had been told or threatened 'it's my my way or the highway'.

-------------

Under cross examination by defence barrister Michael Byrne, Dickie agreed her daughter had suffered post-natal depression after her first child and later anxiety at times.

However, she said that was not unusual for a mother with three children under six.

"We all have anxiety at times," she said.

I think the Dickie family were mislead by the Clay family pride to believe everything was perfect. It's the undying reasons Allison felt anxiety so this has hit home for me to be conscious of any of these little cries for help from my own children no matter how insignificant the cries may sound. These words made me want to continue to be a better parent to my children. I am their teacher no matter how old they are. I want guide them when I see they need me and step in when I see someone squeezing their soul and they know our door is always open and to come home for some breathing space.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/16/gerard-baden-clay-calm-cucumber

With all due respect to you, lovely LadyBird, I think that the whole idea of the 'right man' being responsible for a woman's happiness is part of the problem here. It leads to women putting up with all sorts of outrageous behaviour from their male partners, as they are terrified of losing the relationship (even if it is completely dysfunctional and makes them miserable).

The only way we can be happy is by our own inner work - and love for self (tacky I know, but true). If a woman believes that her partner is the key to her happiness, it leads to a huge let down. No other person can do that for any of us. Also, I think part of the problem with pedestals is that they create an idealised image of the other - which is always going to crash down at some point when the partner's 'humanness' becomes too obvious to ignore.

JMO

I think what Ladybird was trying to say was that with a "different" person the marriage may have been more beneficial to Alison as a person.

Instead of someone who treated her so badly , if she had found a lovely man who loved her for who she was and was not jealous of her achievements and abilities - an equal - then Alison would have grown and blossomed in the relationship rather than withered and diminished in her own feelings of self. She certainly would have been less likely to be fighting those demons she expressed in her personal thoughts within her diary. Everyone who knew her thought she was a beautiful person so its sad to hear how much she doubted herself but no doubt many of us can relate to that.

Whilst we ARE all ultimately responsible for our own happiness, having a loving supportive partner (and friends) does make things easier.
Its not about finding Mr Right , or the "right" man .... just a loving supportive one.

Some interesting reading about a local case involving the recent hit-and-run killing of a cyclist. It has taken some time but finally there has been an arrest.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/accused-hit-and-run-killer-geoffrey-sleba-released/2315896/

What really struck me though was an earlier event involving the person who has been arrested and that some of you might have heard about (it has been mentioned at least once on WS). Reading the findings of the inquest sent a chill down my spine. (I hope it is OK for me to copy this link - it is in the public domain)

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/95278/cif-sleba-lm-20110624.pdf
Thank you for this. I was trying to find it earlier. Was he not even found guilty of manslaughter?

I firmly believe that if Clay is acquitted there will be an increase of 'copy cat' domestic murders and the idea of he got away with it then there's a chance they can as well.

Thank you for this. I was trying to find it earlier. Was he not even found guilty of manslaughter?

The case did not even go to trial - apparently because no motive could be established. So many questions unanswered.

"Coroner Tina Privitera apologised to the parents of Leanne Sleba, Judith and Pat Eagle, because she was unable to reach a finding following a lengthy inquest.

What is known is that Geoff Sleba fired a single shot from his 12-gauge shotgun, killing his wife of 13 years at about 10pm on April 24, 2008, at their Kingsthorpe property, northwest of Toowoomba.

Mr Sleba, 40, told the first police to arrive at the property that his gun accidentally discharged while the pair had been searching the garage for an eastern brown snake

Although police initially treated the matter as a homicide investigation, they never charged Mr Sleba over his wife's death, telling an inquest hearing in May this year they could not find a motive."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/coroner-apologises-to-parents-of-kingsthorpe-woman-leanne-sleba-who-was-shot-in-back-by-her-husband-duing-snake-hunt/story-e6freoof-1226081450743

The case did not even go to trial - apparently because no motive could be established. So many questions unanswered.

"Coroner Tina Privitera apologised to the parents of Leanne Sleba, Judith and Pat Eagle, because she was unable to reach a finding following a lengthy inquest.

What is known is that Geoff Sleba fired a single shot from his 12-gauge shotgun, killing his wife of 13 years at about 10pm on April 24, 2008, at their Kingsthorpe property, northwest of Toowoomba.

Mr Sleba, 40, told the first police to arrive at the property that his gun accidentally discharged while the pair had been searching the garage for an eastern brown snake

Although police initially treated the matter as a homicide investigation, they never charged Mr Sleba over his wife's death, telling an inquest hearing in May this year they could not find a motive."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/coroner-apologises-to-parents-of-kingsthorpe-woman-leanne-sleba-who-was-shot-in-back-by-her-husband-duing-snake-hunt/story-e6freoof-1226081450743
Oh dear.....and yet I reckon his leaving the cyclist for dead shows whay he is like. He never came forward. They had to find him based on a broken spotlight. I hope he gets a worthy sentence...

I can't believe the BCs! "laughing giggling", wouldn't you think they had some embarrassment on what has come out about GBC or some sadness that their DIL is dead. The first day of the trial I thought the purple brigade looked arrogant, proud of themselves and happy. It must really rile the Dickies.

So after another long day in Court....like everyone, feel totally exhausted. Had several chats with cousins, uncles, aunts of the Dickies and heard some insights about where they are all at. So very sad......think they were hoping for some closure this afternoon (like everyone), however the BC's seemed quite happy, laughing, giggling and a lot more confident than they have on previous days. Possibly the BC's feel the longer it draws out means better outcome for them. I really truly hope that the hiccup over the past day with downloads and questioning over manslaughter/murder and lying under oath means that the jury are really making the best decision. Someone killed ABC and as I heard today from her relative 'no one deserves to be lying under a bridge' I concur with that!!!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, Beechworth. :laughing: Poor Todd, with all this admiration. I think he is a regular nerdish lawyer, and probably not the man of any girl's dreams .... in real life. IMO. :facepalm:

Regular nerdish lawyer = man of this girl's dreams :)

For the record, TF is a lovely man, extremely smart and very handsome...in real life ;)

(Also happily married, to an equally lovely, smart, attractive woman, lest you think me a stalker!)

It is also alleged (in earlier WS threads) that GBC had Allison sign over all her worldly goods, superannuation, assets to him in a Last WILL & Testament drawn up before she married him. Allison obliged. This has always concerned me as being favorable to GBC right from the start. It is something I'm uncomfortable about. Many marriages just don't work out after the ceremony or once children arrive. IMO it just seems like 'blind trust' (naive) to hand over this power to your partner before marriage. My opinion only.

It is a prudent thing to make a will expressed to be in contemplation of marriage otherwise as soon as you are legally married, your previous will is automatically revoked. I have done many wills exactly the same as Allison's and GBC including mine.
So I see nothing untoward in their wills. They are standard husband and wife wills leaving everything to each other and then to whatever children they may have. Perfectly normal. Allison survived 15 years after she made that will which she never updated. Her father obtained a limited grant to administer that estate pending the outcome of the trial.

Must be common my lawyer did the same thing
I did it too, at 30 and have just now regoggled after 11 years...have to say, I missed them, happy to have them back to hide behind :blushing:

For goodness sake! Just as I think I'm about to get a well-earned rest from websleuths, I get pulled in again! :)

I did it too, at 30 and have just now regoggled after 11 years...have to say, I missed them, happy to have them back to hide behind :blushing:
Glasses help me to look older and more intelligent......also helps when you need to give the 'looking over the top of the glasses' death stare....

:D

I posted this recently...

The wiki link is about game wardens in USA. I wonder if they operate along the same as this in Africa....

Game Wardens

Game wardens, also known as troopers or wildlife troopers, or conservation officers, have broad duties within the law enforcement spectrum, such as ensuring that licensing requirements are met by hunters, fishermen, and trappers. Detailed investigations are common in order to solve wildlife crimes. Officers in some areas may be responsible for conducting investigations of hunting related homicides and boating accidents. Officers also make arrests of individuals driving or boating under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. Officers use DNA, ballistic, fingerprint, and any other comparative evidence to prosecute criminals that illegally kill wildlife or commit other crimes. Officers can also assist with wildlife management duties such as trapping, hunting in a helicopter or in fixed-wing airplane surveys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_warden

Yes, Marly thankyou! I read that - and a lot more on Gaming Practices and methods.
IYKWIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member