GA - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow a ton disappearance cases. But I have to tell all of you: When I come back to this one every once in a while I always get the feeling of "misdirection", like everything is staged. The interior of the house, the $100 on the dashboard, the latex glove, on and on and on. I get the feeling with this case more than any other I can think of. Just a couple things . . .

1. We must remember: There's no proof Tara ever drove to her house that night after the barbecue. Just because her car ended up there means nothing. In fact, given the car seat position, I'm inclined to believe somebody else drove her car to her home that night. Which leads me to . . .

2. Where did she go after the barbecue? We have to remember: It's a Saturday night. She's an attractive woman who seems to have no problem getting multiple men interested in her. Does a woman like that go home alone on a Saturday night after being in a long-term relationship? My experience says, "No."

3. It's interesting to me: Whoever it was took her purse containing a bunch of stuff that could be traced, took her earrings which could be found and traced to the abductor, her car keys which have absolutely no value without the car itself, BUT leaves $100 cash--the single most untraceable thus most valuable item there. Leads me to believe this had nothing to do with money, even though the interior of the house makes it look like some kind of break-in--with no signs of a break-in I might add.

4. Was the money or the steering wheel ever dusted for prints? I'm sure they were and there's absolutely no chance the public will ever get to find out the results.

5. The latex glove. Did Tara have gloves of that kind in her house? Does anybody know? It seems to me that glove either came from inside her house or from faraway because any of the neighbors would've surely spoken up by now that it was theirs and the garbageman dropped it. The thing I don't get (and this leads me to believe it's a red herring): Why would the abductor take the gloves off before getting in their car/truck/motorcycle or whatever else? Doesn't that seem like a bad choice? I know, maybe they made a mistake but surely somebody would realize they left a glove in the front yard of the place where they just committed a crime. And sure, I know of cases where criminals leave their phones, ID, etc. But this isn't that: This is a case where a glove is left at the scene and it doesn't match any man in Tara's life. Strange.

6. I have a feeling this is what happened: After that barbecue Tara didn't go home. I don't know where she went but it wasn't directly home. By last count she had at least 4 men in her life who wanted or had her attention. And that's the ones we know about. So, she goes to some guy's house that Saturday night. Things go bad. He kills her. Then he takes her clothes and her phone back to her house, making it look like she came home that night. He knocks some things over making it look like it was a burglary. He has access to used latex gloves and throws one in the yard to mislead police. He takes the keys because, well, maybe he threw them in her purse and forgot they were there. In addition, he forgot her earrings because they're still on Tara's ears back at his house. He keeps the purse to make it look like a break-in.

7. The reason I believe the above scenario is because it's very unusual to kill somebody in their own house and then take the body as well. Taking the body only makes things more complicated for the criminal. It's the very reason that successful serial killers who kill people in their homes go un-caught for so long--they kill people where they sleep, sit or stand, then leave. They don't drag dead bodies out into the street. In addition, if somebody killed Tara in her home, where's the blood? If not hers, the criminal's? The DNA? Fingerprints?

8. One more point to make about all this. Tara's car. Not exactly the perfect car to get a body into. Hardly any trunk, tiny backseat, tiny front seat. A nightmare. If we are to believe the criminal drove the car given the position of the seat, why did he drive it? Because he surely didn't drive it to get rid of the body--as in taking Tara's body away from the house. Maybe the seat was staged? Okay. Maybe. But that seems too tricky by half. For the criminal it would've actually been better for him--if it was a he--to leave the seat in Tara's position, if you think about it. If he in fact didn't drive her car but wanted us to think that he did, it totally ruins his scheme of making it look like Tara's house was broken into. It's like you have to make a choice: Either the criminal drove his own car there to break into Tara's house and then used it to dispose of Tara OR Tara was somewhere else and the criminal drove the car to her house to stage the scene--you can't have it both ways.

Just some thoughts on this I've wanted to vent for a while.

Good but missed some points. She in fact did make it home because she changed clothing. Also, some time around 11 PM she received a call on the land line from the owner of the dog she was looking after. The money was found in the console not dash.

Sundrop, she received the call on her house phone? I did a Google search and found at least three different stories on different websites--not forums but actual AP news sites--saying she received the call while she was at the barbecue. For example, this excerpt from an Atlanta Constitution article: ""That night, at the cookout, she received a call on her cellphone, "the last contact we're aware of," Rothwell said." Rothwell is an investigator from Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Was the GBI guy wrong? Did he mis-speak? His statement was made in 2007. Since then, have re-investigations showed the call actually went to her home phone and people at the barbecue were mistaken?

But I'm wondering: How could she receive a call around 11pm on her house phone if she didn't leave the barbecue until 11pm?

So, I would like some independent clarification the call came to her house phone and not her cell phone before I try to change my theory. That seems to me to be a big deal and a fact that absolutely 100 percent has to be nailed down.

Just because the clothes she was wearing that day ended up at her house doesn't mean she ended up at her house. Those two facts can be mutually exclusive. Furthermore, how do we know she "changed clothing" after she got home after the barbecue? Nobody saw her after the barbecue. Did somebody go through all her clothes to figure out which of her other clothes were missing (a difficult task I might add)? That would be the only way we'd maybe be able to know she in fact MIGHT have changed clothes. Even then, somebody could've easily killed her somewhere else, stripped her, brought her clothes to her house, and then took other clothes away.

Either that or I'm missing something. When I read in different places, "They found the clothes she was wearing that day in her house," I take that to mean the clothes she was wearing at the barbecue. Am I wrong about that?

As for the cash, does it really matter where the cash was? Console, dash, glovebox, backseat? That somebody left $100 in the car anywhere is strange, especially since her purse, presumably with her credit cards in it, was never found.

Even so, if I may possibly be off on some of my points, I'd like to know where I can find the real facts. News sites? GBI statements? Etc.

Another important thing that should be checked into is why is owner of the dog that Tara was looking after that weekend is so angry 8 years later

I loved when Greta came to Tara's house and went inside her home. I'm gonna see if I can find it.

Sundrop, she received the call on her house phone? I did a Google search and found at least three different stories on different websites--not forums but actual AP news sites--saying she received the call while she was at the barbecue. For example, this excerpt from an Atlanta Constitution article: ""That night, at the cookout, she received a call on her cellphone, "the last contact we're aware of," Rothwell said." Rothwell is an investigator from Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Was the GBI guy wrong? Did he mis-speak? His statement was made in 2007. Since then, have re-investigations showed the call actually went to her home phone and people at the barbecue were mistaken?

But I'm wondering: How could she receive a call around 11pm on her house phone if she didn't leave the barbecue until 11pm?

So, I would like some independent clarification the call came to her house phone and not her cell phone before I try to change my theory. That seems to me to be a big deal and a fact that absolutely 100 percent has to be nailed down.

Just because the clothes she was wearing that day ended up at her house doesn't mean she ended up at her house. Those two facts can be mutually exclusive. Furthermore, how do we know she "changed clothing" after she got home after the barbecue? Nobody saw her after the barbecue. Did somebody go through all her clothes to figure out which of her other clothes were missing (a difficult task I might add)? That would be the only way we'd maybe be able to know she in fact MIGHT have changed clothes. Even then, somebody could've easily killed her somewhere else, stripped her, brought her clothes to her house, and then took other clothes away.

Either that or I'm missing something. When I read in different places, "They found the clothes she was wearing that day in her house," I take that to mean the clothes she was wearing at the barbecue. Am I wrong about that?

As for the cash, does it really matter where the cash was? Console, dash, glovebox, backseat? That somebody left $100 in the car anywhere is strange, especially since her purse, presumably with her credit cards in it, was never found.

Even so, if I may possibly be off on some of my points, I'd like to know where I can find the real facts. News sites? GBI statements? Etc.

You bring out some very good points, I do not know your answers, but I will say I have followed and researched this case from years back up until this current date......I have posted my theory on here and 1 other site and have also called into proper authorities...I do not think the POI will be any of the men that Tara knew or was personally involved with either professionally or just friends and I cannot say 100% positive that she made it home that night, but what I can tell you and it be 100% Truth, My friend owns a rental home right out from where Tara lived at the time, she was renting to a very good friend and they had talked that night, she decided to go over to my friends house in the wee early morning hours, she was backing out of the driveway at the rental home and almost got ran over by a "black" or very dark colored truck and it was going at a very high speed, it made her so nervous she had to actually stop and calm down, she said she looked all around to see where in the world a truck would have seemed to have come out of nowhere and all of a sudden almost ran her over, she told my friend when she arrived that the truck had to come from the way of Tara's house that there was simply no other direction it could have came from and that was around 1:00 a.m. to 1:;30 a.m. in the morning hours

I have read several articles on people in the neighborhood coming forth later and saying there was a black truck parked in the grass area that evening at Tara's home...I was not there and cannot prove that 100% to be true, but on one article I found there was an elderly gentlemen that went walking around the neighborhood that evening and before he even knew what was going on, he stated he had to walk by the truck because it would have been too far for him to turn and walk another way, it also stated the man in that truck started screaming loudly and threatening him so bad, this man choose to get home and lock his doors, I also read the reason he waited so long to come forth with this was that he was so scared by the man in the trucks threats and that he might carry through with what he screamed at him, he thought it better to just keep quiet and only after several years of LE not finding any POI, he finally decided to come forth with this info
As I said I cannot prove this as being 100%, but if you search various search engines this story about the truck will surely turn up, and when I read this it only proved to me that what my friends neighbor endured proved to be true about being almost ran over by a black or dark colored truck...that ties the elderly man seeing that truck right into it being the one that was for some unknown reason speeding away from the direction of Tara's house
I also go back to when Tim Miller and Equsearch did the searches on various places...I would dismiss this from my mind and thoughts if perhaps only 1 cadaver dog alerted to a body of water on the old farmhouse land that was burnt by arson, but when they put it out there that 3 cadaver dogs alerted that brings my eyebrows up very high, and then they all alerted to what is or was known to be the middle of this burnt home or would have been what we call the living room area...let us not forget...not 1 dog, but 3 dogs alerted to the same places....I have talked with people close to this case, they tell me the body or bodies of water was drained and turned up nothing...I honestly believe them, but hate to be so blunt to a family member, but if a killer uses chemicals to speed up the decomposition of a body, it sadly works very fast, and that is why I feel a lot of serial killers use these things..the bodies decay so fast and therefore no dna evidence is left behind
I am not in anyway smart on this case, probably far off but I do have my own theory.....If I was allowed to sit with LE or would prefer the GBI in this case....I would love to know if there was any known bank robberies anywhere close to Ocilla or for that fact in any surrounding towns all across Georgia in the week leading up to the missing of Tara???....might not be a bank, could be a credit union and etc. ....Yes the money could have been left as a red herring but my belief is that it was not...I happen to believe this person for some unknown reason had to get in a hurry and forgot the money was in the car, I just feel whoever took Tara had this money and we may never know why or when it was left in her car but I will say I believe there was ` disappointed kidnapper walking around that evening or the next day trying to remember where his money was at...I feel it was left by a mistake on the POI

I am as you are in thinking fasteddy 8370, I am not so sure Tara made it home that night, sometimes my thoughts say YES and then thinking another way they say NO...I do think Tara was taken in another vehicle and I will always believe the person that did this brought her car back at some point and time and placed it as it was found, even if she did arrive home, I think there was someone as some say they have saw the vehicle in a grassy area on her property waiting on her and I just feel they were not happy with her at the time or either they had her staked out and she aggravated their time plans...Personally I feel this is how Tara was taken....we have so much more technology today than we had when they found the glove in her front yard, I hope and PRAY they have run that dna through the system many times by this date....this would show if any new criminal has dna entered, they might find the match to the glove dna

digndoodle, that's a lot of good info there. Yes, I've read about the black truck but this is the first time I've heard about it being at her house earlier in the evening. And I hadn't heard about the older gentleman's story.

So, you're saying the truck was there when Tara wasn't? Like somebody was waiting for her to come home? So, she's at the barbecue while some angry man is waiting impatiently for her out in front of her house? Yeah, that's the first time I've heard that. And I'm guessing the vehicle description doesn't match the vehicle of those other men--ex-bf, married cop, ex-student? Yes, that's interesting. Did the old guy give a description? I suppose he did. I'm guessing it didn't match the appearance of anyone who Tara mentioned or anyone she commonly knew.

I have to say: I don't put a lot of credence in what dogs do regarding their sniffing abilities. Too many cases of dogs following the wrong scent. Too many stories I've read about cops "teaching" their dogs to sniff things that aren't there just so the cops can get a warrant. And then there's the most recent case of Teleka Patrick: Dogs said she walked to the road, as if she hitched a ride. Nope, she went the exact opposite direction from the road and ended up drowning. So, as much as I love animals, I think their scent work is marginal at best.

Another thing about that dark truck--it seems odd to me after all this time nobody's come forward who can maybe attest to who the owner was. I mean, we know about all these other guys, so why not about this guy? If he knows where she lives then I'm guessing it was a guy who was at least familiar to Tara, even if it was some kind of stalker. Tara surely would've said something to someone about this guy. But, like you, I totally dismiss the ex-bf, the married cop or the ex-student as suspects.

There's just something about this case that smells of set-up. What I mean by that is if you try to mesh all the facts--money on console, latex glove, no keys, no purse but charged cellphone, car seat pushed back, broken lamp, clock under bed, etc. It's hard to put together a scenario where all those facts go together. Even if you include multiple kidnappers/attackers, it's tough, like putting a round peg in a square hole. It's the very reason I think a lot of it is staged. But then the question is: How much of it is staged? 100%? 50%? 25%? Who knows?

It's the latex glove that drives me nuts. Why didn't the guy (or woman I suppose) go back for it once he discovered it was missing. It was probably the middle of the night. He had to notice it was gone. And he had to know it would have his DNA on it. He could've easily did a U-turn, gone back to her house, gone back in to the house if he had to (of course he'd find the glove in the front yard), and gotten away without anyone noticing. So, what kind of person leaves his DNA at a scene when he has all the time in the world to go back and correct a mistake? I'd say the kind who isn't worried about what the DNA will say. Meaning, the glove was planted--the DNA on the glove isn't the the DNA of the person who committed the crime.

I'm not sure about the bank robbing angle myself. Bank robbers and murderers are usually two different kinds of criminals. Rarely do bank robbers kill people. And rarely do murderers rob banks. You know what I mean? If, in fact, Tara is dead, of course.

The big problem is Tara had her share of suitors. And probably some stalkers as well. And some she didn't even know about. They could've admired her from afar through her work with beauty pageants--in the paper, in the news, on the Internet, etc. Suddenly the guy begins to think he has a relationship with Tara even though the two have never met. Men like that can also become possessive and see other men as a threat--once again, even though the guy has never met Tara. It could explain why the guy in the truck was so angry with the old guy--Like: Hey, stay away from the gf's house--something like that.

That's a pretty good lead with the black truck. But it's obvious it went nowhere. So, you gotta wonder if it was a lead at all or nothing.

Black truck issue was never followed up, a teenager who lived down the road and rode his bike all the time around the neighborhood saw the truck parked in Tara's yard, on the grass to the left of the driveway.

If you want to get answers in this case find why the guy who owned the dog that Tara was looking after that weekend is still so angry after eight years

sundrop, couple of questions:

-How do you know the black truck was never followed up on? The only two people that would know that are the truck owner and the police. Since the truck owner is still believed to be unknown, I'm taking that you got the "no follow-up" info from the police. What is their reasoning?

-How do you know the dog owner is still angry? Do you know him? I'd love to see an interview with him. Or a video. Or something.

-Any follow-up on the phone question? Land line or cell phone regarding the dog owner calling her?

As far as the dog owner being angry witnessed it in 2006 and something in 2014

As far as the black truck, the witness was never interviewed by any law enforcement

Black truck issue was never followed up, a teenager who lived down the road and rode his bike all the time around the neighborhood saw the truck parked in Tara's yard, on the grass to the left of the driveway.

sundrop may I ask if you know...WHY in the world was the black-very dark colored truck never checked into???....I feel very strong this truck could be the whole key in this case

As I stated above, it's not just something I had heard about...I have a friend that owned a rental home right out from where Tara lived at the time she went missing, this black-dark colored truck came rushing by her as she was backing out of her driveway at about 1:00 a.m. to 1:30 a.m in the wee hours of the morning, it almost ran her over, she got so upset that she had to get out and calm down, said she looked everywhere to see where this truck may have came from and said it definitely had to come in the direction of Tara's house......Why would a black truck be traveling at such a high rate of speed at this time of the morning in a small town such as Ocilla??? and then by the little man that was out walking the neighborhood that same night and had no other choice but to pass this person and that truck, yet he got screamed at and threatened so bad, he went home and stayed there for several years and I'm assuming he thought this person meant business and was afraid he might carry out the threats he gave this little man that night???....Only years later did he decide to come forth and report this

All I can manage to say at this time is WOW...just WOW that this was never checked into...WOW again

and fasteddy.....No as far as I know this truck did not belong to anyone that Tara knew such as BF's or acquaintances
but in my own personal thinking I do feel that Tara may have been stalked in the weeks leading up to her disappearence...I feel that
very strong way down inside....she may have been followed and may have never known she was being followed, I wonder often if
she ever got random phone calls that seemed really off the wall in nature...the reason I think of all this is that the POI I have in my mind that
may have taken Tara was known to do an older couple this way, so much so that the week they were kidnapped and then murdered that the husband
went and bought a gun and his wife told the ladies at her work that she just felt as if someone was stalking her or watching her, they said she felt
very uncomfortable

I do feel that Tara's kidnap was random, but also I feel the person that took her was more than likely in this small town for a day or two before he
decided to kidnap her...I feel he was getting a feel for the town, how it operated and I feel also he was getting a feel for the people that lived there, he knew
this potato festival was going to be that night and that most of the folks would be in town enjoying the festivities offered during this time...I think he had
a very well planned night in mind, but in someway I just feel someone upset his timeline or his plans and that made him very angry...I feel this person may have
been a real control freak and may have became really angry that Tara did not come home after the pagent......I'm sure he did not know about her plans to have
dinner with a lot of her friends, that is what makes me think perhaps she never made it home that evening and that the home was staged to look like she did
come home and there was a break in that night....This person was wanting to throw off LE in anyway they could so they would not figure out what really happened
to Tara that night

Please help me here....I did not know that Tara was keeping a dog that weekend, I thought the Dog in the back fenced yard belonged to Tara???
any help appreciated

I second what digndoodle said: The night Tara disappeared another person's dog was there? That's news to me. Sundrop, like my question about the land line/cellphone, can you direct me to a place where it talks about another person's dog being there that night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow