The aftermath of the verdict *MERGED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've started this thread so we have somewhere to discuss what will and has happened as a consequence of Gerard being found guilty.
Here's the first one I found which I am sure Olivia didn't realise might happen:

This comes from the Aussie Criminals website thread Now that the Verdict is In.http://aussiecriminals.com.au/2014/07/15/now-that-the-verdict-is-in/

So now the consequences are coming very close to home for Gerard's family.:facepalm:

We don't know if Olivia has removed herself from activities in the Church for the moment. As a person involved with their own church I would think in the same situation I would be pulling back and although not losing faith taking the time to assess and recover from a difficult time. I think the Church the Walton family are involved in are not fair game in this sad situation. THey have nothing to do with Gerard Baden Clay. It's just a sad reflection on how one's terrible behaviour can have far reaching effects. The church would surround Olivia with love and care at this time and that is their role.

At times I was deeply uncomfortable with what I felt was a vigilante mentality in the threads and was unwilling to ascribe every single anecdote as an indicator of GBC being a foul and blackhearted murderer who had been roaming around with a figurative dagger up his sleeve for years prior to Allison's murder.

That said, I never truly expected GBC to be found not guilty. I always felt he was guilty. I couldn't see a logical alternative explanation. The simplest, most likely explanation is usually the truth. However, because the whole affair as a catalyst scenario didn't really ring true for me, I did wonder if he might get off. Not as an innocent man, but on a technicality, so to speak.

I didn't feel any kind of triumph or disappointment at the verdict…I actually felt deeply depressed. I just felt like the girls were probably, deep down in their little hearts, hoping that somehow it would be found that Daddy didn't murder Mummy. The Dickies were still going to have to go home that night and tell them that Daddy is now officially a convicted murderer. I really, really had hoped for a viable alternative scenario, for the sake of his daughters, but I couldn't think of one that would also be fair to Allison.

I have no opinion on the Baden-Clays - I really don't know if they were involved at all, but if they weren't, I can feel for them. A son, a brother, is a convicted murderer. A child borne from your womb, a childhood playmate.

I have been transfixed by the human drama of it all. How one man, who had the world at his feet in his youth, managed to completely and totally ruin his life and the life of most of the people he touched. I find it jaw-dropping that one person could have such a negative impact on so many people and yet somehow seem oblivious to it all. Even though I already felt that GBC was a weak and flawed man, the titbits coming out now shock me anew. The utter selfishness and lack of empathy for others, particularly his daughters, is breathtaking. All to maintain a certain facade that he felt was desirable. He was all about the money, the image, social standing. He couldn't see the treasure that he already had (supportive family, a beautiful and intelligent wife who wanted a full and loving relationship with him, 3 delightful children, the ability and means to support a fairly comfortable lifestyle if only he could be honest about his net worth and cut his cloth accordingly) was worth far more.

This is a truly a tragedy, echoes of which will still be felt in the next generation.

Someone posited in an earlier thread that perhaps Allison would have been happy for her daughters to still have their father bringing them up despite his actions and perhaps a not guilty verdict could be acceptable with that in mind. I thought about that a lot, but concluded that Allison's marking of her killer was answer enough. No, I don't believe so, but I understand the thinking behind it. With everything we know about GBC, a GBC that had literally gotten away with murder would be a dangerous man indeed.

I hope the shock of his immense fall from grace is the catalyst for some serious soul-searching and rehabilitation. And my love goes out to those little girls, that they can find a way to live with this knowledge and history and form relationships of love and trust.

We don't know if Olivia has removed herself from activities in the Church for the moment. As a person involved with their own church I would think in the same situation I would be pulling back and although not losing faith taking the time to assess and recover from a difficult time. I think the Church the Walton family are involved in are not fair game in this sad situation. THey have nothing to do with Gerard Baden Clay. It's just a sad reflection on how one's terrible behaviour can have far reaching effects. The church would surround Olivia with love and care at this time and that is their role.

I re-read IW's initial spray to the flock and world at large, last night. Sounded very defensive and aggressive to me. In any event, IW and OW put themselves in the public eye. If GBC had walked free from court, what would IW and OW and their supporters done --- pull back, assess and recover? And maybe not

And further read the Dickie family and supporters were banned from wearing yellow to court to avoid prejudicing the jury ... So much insight we are now getting.

And further read the Dickie family and supporters were banned from wearing yellow to court to avoid prejudicing the jury ... So much insight we are now getting.

It's like a huge release of truth, after a long time held silent.

SUCH a relief to have it flowing out into the public arena - that in itself is deeply healing IMO (even though the details of GBC's conduct are really hard to stomach.)

At least the truth is finally being brought to light! Façade no more!!

We listened to this 'expert' on tv news last night and thought he was a monosyllabic footballer type who'd opted for a career change. Certainly no great advertisement for the legal industry in our opinion, lol

Professor Heather Douglas from the University of Queensland is the one in the link.

Professor Heather Douglas from the University of Queensland is the one in the link.

So sorry Amee. My mistake entirely. Been several references and links today to the Krill, Squill (?) fellow I spoke without checking your link. Apologies

What? Banned??! By whom? is there a link or article for this?

I re-read IW's initial spray to the flock and world at large, last night. Sounded very defensive and aggressive to me. In any event, IW and OW put themselves in the public eye. If GBC had walked free from court, what would IW and OW and their supporters done --- pull back, assess and recover? And maybe not

can you link please laser?

OW and IW live their lives committed to the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju98sE-Xa4o

I hope that Gerard will one day omit to what he's done, for his daughters sakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just read that the BC's take the little girls to visit their father in prison regularly :(

I can (only just) understand this when he hadn't been proved guilty but now he is guilty of their mums murder it would be obscene if
they had to see him....my good god.

Just watched this, it was so interesting, my heart swells with pride when it shows the amazing police,
I wish us WSers had known how confident the police were, I wish we were on the inside lol lol
:laughing:

Me too!! The police are absolutely amazing!!!

I seriously lacked respect for LE until I joined WS - but now I'm struck over and over again by their commitment to justice and their immense courage. They are truly unbelievable. :loveyou:

And yes, that interview was very moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53