GBC's life in prison

Gerard Baden-Clay visited by parents at Wolston Correction Centre

July 17, 2014 12:00AM

GERARD Baden-Clay was visited by his parents as he spent his first day as a convicted murderer at Wolston Correctional Centre yesterday.

Nigel and Elaine Baden-Clay arrived at the jail about 2.30pm to visit their son, who sources said spent his first night alone inside the prison’s “jelly room”.

His parents arrived with a large envelope and stayed at the jail for about an hour.

After arriving on Tuesday night, Baden-Clay would have been strip searched, given new clothes, photographed for identification, interviewed and assessed by psychologists

He was allowed to phone his parents where he was reportedly emotional before being placed in a cell to undergo observation, where he will be monitored by nurses and psychologists.

“Jelly room – it’s a prison term – if someone is unstable and wobbly like jelly, that’s where they go.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...orrection-centre/story-fnihsrf2-1226991507668

506442-d63dd16a-0cdb-11e4-a510-9f89e2418c8b.jpg

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...orrection-centre/story-fnihsrf2-1226991507668

Gerard Baden-Clay visited by parents at Wolston Correction Centre

July 17, 2014 12:00AM

GERARD Baden-Clay was visited by his parents as he spent his first day as a convicted murderer at Wolston Correctional Centre yesterday.

Nigel and Elaine Baden-Clay arrived at the jail about 2.30pm to visit their son, who sources said spent his first night alone inside the prison’s “jelly room”.

His parents arrived with a large envelope and stayed at the jail for about an hour.

After arriving on Tuesday night, Baden-Clay would have been strip searched, given new clothes, photographed for identification, interviewed and assessed by psychologists

He was allowed to phone his parents where he was reportedly emotional before being placed in a cell to undergo observation, where he will be monitored by nurses and psychologists.

“Jelly room – it’s a prison term – if someone is unstable and wobbly like jelly, that’s where they go.”

Aw poor baby.

So, this was the only info I could find on daily life in prison.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/sentencing-prisons-and-probation/prisons-and-detention-centres/daily-life-in-prison/

Daily life in prison
Entering prison

When you enter prison, you’ll go through 3 steps:

• admission
  • induction
  • classification.

You are then:

• required to undergo a removal of clothing search and given a medical examination
  • allowed to shower
  • issued with prison issue clothes
  • photographed
  • interviewed by a counsellor
  • allowed to make a phone call
  • given an identification card
  • allocated a cell.

Accommodation

Almost all cells in Queensland correctional centres are single cells which contain a bed, shower and toilet. You are responsible for keeping your cell clean and tidy.

Money and buying things in jail

While in jail you can hold a personal prison trust account of up to $1000. You can use this to buy permitted items. In addition you can hold up to $300 in your telephone account to make personal phone calls.

Dress regulations

You must wear regulation prison-issued clothes at all times.

Daily routine

A prisoner’s day is highly structured, with specific times for musters, head counts, meals (eaten communally unless the prisoner is in a residential unit), activities (such as educational, recreational and hobby programs) and work.

Making calls

You are not allowed access to a mobile phone while in prison; you can, however, make calls through the Prisoner Telephone System (PTS).

To get access to the PTS you need to make a written application to the prison authorities including a list of phone numbers—a prisoner can have up to 10 registered numbers—of people you want to call.

Internet

In jail, prisoners do not have access to email, social media or the internet.

Prison visitors

A prisoner is entitled to one non-contact visit per week but if approved a prisoner may have up to 2 hours of contact personal visiting time each week—either 1 2-hour or 2 1-hour visits each week—and perhaps other special visits. This is in addition to visits from your legal representatives or official visitors.

Visitors must apply and make a booking to visit you, prove who they are and follow prison rules and regulations during the visit.

You are not allowed access to a mobile phone while in prison; you can, however, make calls through the Prisoner Telephone System (PTS).

Oh the humanity!! How will ol' Pie-Face cope without that?!?!

Well, at least no one will need to use the Finder app to locate him during the next 15 years or so :jail:

Daily routine

A prisoner’s day is highly structured, with specific times for musters, head counts, meals (eaten communally unless the prisoner is in a residential unit), activities (such as educational, recreational and hobby programs) and work.

I reckon G.I. Gerard might actually quite enjoy this sort of thing, don't you? What time are the "debriefings" held each night? :laughing:

Internet

In jail, prisoners do not have access to email, social media or the internet.

OMG, imagine life without the interwebs! :eek: I adore being able to google anything I want to know and would go batty without it.

Also as I'm used to a late and leisurely dinner, I would absolutely hate the early dinner thing:

Prison meals are generally served from about 4.30pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/gerard-badenclay-visited-by-parents-at-wolston-correction-centre/story-fnihsrf2-1226991507668?nk=b43518a9331f2d8ad558fa287a1e7a30

I mean, to me that's a totally uncivilised time for dinner; I call it a late-ish afternoon tea time.

Another thing I'd really miss would be my Kindle. I'd be very surprised if prisoners were allowed to have them.

I was interested in finding any information on how parole works as, I'm sure like most others on here, I'm not happy at the thought of GBC being able to apply for parole and get out in 13 years (15 years less the approx. 2 years already spent in prison).

I've broken this info up into 4 parts as it makes for a very long post!

It seems 15 years is the mandatory time he must serve before being eligible to then apply for parole.
From what I have read, gaining parole requires jumping through quite a few hoops, so not so easy for GBC (hopefully)!

Parole for offenders convicted of serious violent offences

An offender sentenced to life imprisonment must serve 15 years in prison before being eligible to apply for parole. The exception to this is if the offender has been sentenced to life imprisonment for multiple counts of murder, or has been previously convicted of murder. In these instances, an offender must serve 20 years in prison before being eligible to apply for parole. Again, a court may also set a longer non-parole period.

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justic...-parole-system

BBM

To apply for parole, as Tigerlily75 mentioned above, he will have to admit responsibility for his offence. This info is from the Parole Application Handbook (Prisoners' Legal Service, Inc. - Safe Way Home Program) which gives guidelines for prisoners drafting their Parole Applications (Form 29).

4. CRIMINAL BACKGROUND & OFFENCES

1. Explain the offence you committed which resulted in the present incarceration.
2. You may also discuss your criminal background and other offences you have committed if applicable.
3. Outline your responsibilities of those offences.

5. RELEVANT ATTITUDES

Under this section you have to reflect on your offence/s since commencing your period of imprisonment.
You have to show the board that you are not the same person who came into prison and that you have changed for the better. You may include information such as:

• Your thinking patterns then and your thinking patterns now.
  • What do you think of the offence you committed?
  • How do you feel for your victims?
  • Identify your primary and tertiary victims.
  • Tertiary victims include anyone else affected by your crime such as the victim’s family, colleagues, witnesses to the crime and the impact it has caused on the community.
  • How do you feel if the same offence was committed by somebody on you or your loved ones? (Victim empathy)
  • Why do you think you committed the said offence?
http://www.plsqld.com/factsheets/Parole%20Application%20Handbook.pdf

BBM

I also noted that one of the considerations the Parole Board takes into account is the sentencing Judges recommendations.

Considerations before release

In considering an application for release to a parole order the board holds community safety paramount.

The Board takes a number of factors into account, including:
The nature of the offence

• the offender's past offences and any patterns of offending;
  • the possibility of the offender committing further offences;
  • whether the offender has previously been granted an order and if so, whether the offender breached any conditions of that order;
  • whether the offender has successfully completed programs of rehabilitation;
The institutional conduct of the offender whilst incarcerated

• The viability of the offender's relapse prevention and release plans;
  • the risk of physical or psychological harm to a member of the community and the degree of risk;
  • any behavioural report relating to the offender; and
  • the sentencing Judge's recommendation.

http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/About_Us/Community_Corrections_Board/#regulations

BBM

I would think the Dickies would be advised if/when GBC makes a parole application and could object or raise concerns with it.

Victims Register
Written submission to the Parole Board

If an offender lodges an application for parole, victims registered against the offender will immediately be notified by mail. This correspondence will advise eligible persons that they may make a written submission to the Parole Board about their concerns should be offender be released to parole. A Parole Submission Form will be included with this correspondence.

In this submission, the registered victim has the opportunity to express their concerns in relation to whether an offender should be released from custody and also to ask for certain conditions to be placed on the offender's parole order should it be granted. All parole orders have general conditions placed on them but where there are victim concerns raised, a Parole Board may include additional conditions at the victim's request such as:

• The offender may have no contact, direct or indirect, with their victim or their victims family
  • The offender may not reside in XXXXX
  • The offender may not enter or travel through XXXX

http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/about_us/victims_register/written_submissions.shtml

BBM

OMG, imagine life without the interwebs! :eek: I adore being able to google anything I want to know and would go batty without it.

Also as I'm used to a late and leisurely dinner, I would absolutely hate the early dinner thing:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/gerard-badenclay-visited-by-parents-at-wolston-correction-centre/story-fnihsrf2-1226991507668?nk=b43518a9331f2d8ad558fa287a1e7a30

I mean, to me that's a totally uncivilised time for dinner; I call it a late-ish afternoon tea time.

Another thing I'd really miss would be my Kindle. I'd be very surprised if prisoners were allowed to have them.

I can't survive 30 mins without internet!!

Not sure about being able to have a Kindle.

But hey, at least he can watch TV.....if he can afford it.....

Money and buying things in jail

While in jail you can hold a personal prison trust account of up to $1000. You can use this to buy permitted items. In addition you can hold up to $300 in your telephone account to make personal phone calls.

You can use your prison trust account to buy items from the prisoners’ canteen including food items and certain recreational items (such as art, hobby and educational materials) or to rent a TV set directly from the prison.

With permission, you may also be able to buy certain items not available from the prisoners’ canteen from an approved outside source. This includes underwear, magazines, greeting cards, recorded music, footwear, and electrical goods; although you are not allowed to buy some items such as DVDs, DVD players, or electronic game consoles.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/sentencin...ife-in-prison/

BBM

Upon his arrival at the jail, Baden-Clay would have been handed an induction booklet explaining the prison's daily schedule.

He would have then been assessed for health, education and intervention needs for security classification.

"This determines centre placement options, as well as access to training, intervention and work programs," says Queensland Corrective Services on its website.

Queensland prison cells comprise a bed, shower and toilet. Inmates a responsible for keeping their cell clean and tidy.

Inmates are allowed prison-issued items in their cell, including toiletries, clothing, footwear, bedding and sometimes a television.

Personal items, including underwear and socks, writing paper, pen, bible, photographs and a watch are also allowed, as well as approved books, study material, CD player, or radio.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-conviction-20140717-ztyjv.html#ixzz37h63zNV8

An appeal has been lodged already.

To apply for parole, as Tigerlily75 mentioned above, he will have to admit responsibility for his offence. This info is from the Parole Application Handbook (Prisoners' Legal Service, Inc. - Safe Way Home Program) which gives guidelines for prisoners drafting their Parole Applications (Form 29).

4. CRIMINAL BACKGROUND & OFFENCES

1. Explain the offence you committed which resulted in the present incarceration.
2. You may also discuss your criminal background and other offences you have committed if applicable.
3. Outline your responsibilities of those offences.

5. RELEVANT ATTITUDES

Under this section you have to reflect on your offence/s since commencing your period of imprisonment.
You have to show the board that you are not the same person who came into prison and that you have changed for the better. You may include information such as:

• Your thinking patterns then and your thinking patterns now.
  • What do you think of the offence you committed?
  • How do you feel for your victims?
  • Identify your primary and tertiary victims.
  • Tertiary victims include anyone else affected by your crime such as the victim’s family, colleagues, witnesses to the crime and the impact it has caused on the community.
  • How do you feel if the same offence was committed by somebody on you or your loved ones? (Victim empathy)
  • Why do you think you committed the said offence?
http://www.plsqld.com/factsheets/Parole%20Application%20Handbook.pdf

BBM

The above is really an impossible ask for G. To admit responsibility for it; to demonstrate remorse, empathy, insight, compassion, humility - the very characteristics and attitudes he's demonstrated repeatedly and at length he doesn't possess. And the thing is, personality tends to be pretty consistent throughtout one's lifetime, so I just don't see him achieving the sort of change in his attitudes he would need to satisfy a parole board that he really has changed.

Of course it's possible he may use his time in there to study psych texts and learn what beliefs and feelings he should be expressing to be granted parole, so he can just parrot those beliefs and feelings back at the parole board. He's probably smart enough to do that.

Can't believe he has already appealed.... What happens now all the stuff left out of the trial has come out in media? How would they find a jury who hadn't seen all that?

Yes, this! He's been convicted of murder, therefore he is guilty. If he applies for parole in 15 years he'll need to have shown remorse and rehabilitation to have even a remote chance. If he's still claiming innocence - parole will be denied. That's my understanding.

But, how many people lie about things just so they can get parole. That's why the judge said what he said about his lying. The bloke that murdered Jill Meagher admitted that he lied to the parole board to get out. Remember just how convincing GBC has been to rope in so many people in his life. He can delude himself all he likes and say he is innocent, but after the appeal, he needs to write a huge confession to the Dickie family and tell them everything that he did. If he stays in this delusional state, his mental health will suffer and suffer and suffer. You can fool some of the people some of the time...but you can't fool yourself forever.

It would be nice to think that parole boards are up to the usual tricks, but the people on those boards are human after all. They are really making a judgment call on a prisoner's character, honesty and intentions. Not difficult for Gerard to spin his usual BS. But to do it convincingly? He's gonna have to be a far better actor than he's proved to us all so far.

Do they get newspapers in jail? I just wonder if he saw the Courier Mail special the next day...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back