Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two crime scenes: the Parkhill home, the Airdrie acreage. We can't ignore that. We also can't ignore the fact that the truck, belonging to the accused, is in both locations on the night of the murders, or the fact that he has been arrested and the victims declared dead. What would be the purpose of ignoring that information?

Do we know for sure the Airdrie acreage was declared a crime scene? I wasn't sure if it was, just curious as I thought they were only searching it thoroughly. I know there was mention of cadaver dogs maybe actioning finds, but did we get any of this confirmed?

Just to clarify... I never said it was the first time I heard of *knocking people out* - I said it wouldn't make sense with the blood evidence.

Just curious what you mean…was there a certain type of blood evidence mentioned in MSM? A unconscious person would still bleed and all we know so far is there was blood in the home and a scene of a 'violent incident' and drag marks, no mention of blood patterns were published I don't think, but correct me if I'm wrong!

Just curious what you mean…was there a certain type of blood evidence mentioned in MSM? A unconscious person would still bleed and all we know so far is there was blood in the home and a scene of a 'violent incident' and drag marks, no mention of blood patterns were published I don't think, but correct me if I'm wrong!

After driving by and seeing how compact the lot spaces are, how close the homes are to each other and how close the L's home is to Macleod, I feel strongly that this happened quickly and quietly using something basic, like maybe a crow bar or hammer.

I think the perp probably knocked them in the head with a heavy, blunt metal object in their beds, rolled them up in the sheets and then high-tailed it out of there. JMO

I drove past Airdrie yesterday and watched for what was near the East Lake ramp. As far as I could tell to the east of the street in question there is mostly an industrial section. The 'abandoned' building looks ready for the new business to move into, new signage, new payment (rollers still sitting there). According to the picture The police cars were just past this building so I don't think it was included. While we didn't drive down the actual blocked off street ( hubby in hurry to get home) I could see new construction of what looked like a new hotel just a ways past where the road block was. I am going back to Calgary on Friday and could look more closely if anyone is interested.

Thanks so much for the info. I've been wondering about that search area... So if they didn't search the abandoned building, it was something else around there, maybe the construction site where the hotel is being built? This search area might be irrelevant and a standard search, but it still has me wondering because it's off the highway, and was a surprise location I didn't expect to hear about.

That's not what I was saying.... I merely mentioned that IMO, it wouldn't make sense for someone to go to the trouble of knocking someone out with chemicals prior to killing them and removing the bodies, leaving blood behind. If you are going to go to the trouble of bringing something to disable your victims prior to removing them - why take the extra step of violence (Bludgening, stabbing, shooting) which only creates evidence?

Are murder trials open to the public? Hopefully, I will be able to attend.

I think they are normally open to the public, but there may be an issue with seating if it is well attended by media and community.

I live in Calgary and today I drove past the Liknes house to get a feel for the neighborhood and how it could be that no one heard or saw anything.

One thing that really struck me is how compact that area is. It's definitely a quiet street, despite being so close to Macleod Trail (main thoroughfare in Calgary).

What really struck me is how close and tight together those homes are. Also, the L's street is one of the main streets you would take to get to Macleod.

I still can't figure out how no one saw anything!!!!!

There was a lot of activity at the house throughout the weekend, with Alvin clearing out his office, and the couple clearing out their house. The neighbours, if they heard anything, probably thought that whatever noises came from the house were related to more clearing out. Additionally, it was windy, rainy, and 51F that night, so some people might have closed their windows. There was also the four day weekend, where many may have gone out of town. It is possible that some neighbours did hear something, thought nothing of it, but did report what they heard to police after the disappearance.

That's not what I was saying.... I merely mentioned that IMO, it wouldn't make sense for someone to go to the trouble of knocking someone out with chemicals prior to killing them and removing the bodies, leaving blood behind. If you are going to go to the trouble of bringing something to disable your victims prior to removing them - why take the extra step of violence (Bludgening, stabbing, shooting) which only creates evidence?

Ah okay, totally misunderstood, I thought you knew something we didn't ;)

Was just going to post that, Momma. Thinking of DG's lab that got busted and wondering what connections he made while living in BC. Stealing a semi isn't something your Average Joe chemist does, so wondering if that particular theft was for the benefit of a larger organization or simply DG has a strange penchant for semi-trailers. I'd like to find out whether he served his time in AB or BC and what pals he may have made in prison.
I'm sticking with my theory that a meth-cook would have biker connections for distribution if nothing else. I'd like that very, very shortened time served looked at again. Why, in a country obsessed with being on the "right" side of "the War on Drugs", would a meth-cook get something so light as serving 6 months instead of 39? Why would he be rewarded?

What kind of drug pushers/producers are treated like this? Maybe, very well connected dealers? Or, very knowledgeable dealers? Very well informed dealers?

Do we know for sure the Airdrie acreage was declared a crime scene? I wasn't sure if it was, just curious as I thought they were only searching it thoroughly. I know there was mention of cadaver dogs maybe actioning finds, but did we get any of this confirmed?

I recall the comment from a video with the police chief, but I don't know where the link is anymore. There is this though:

"Garland then violated his curfew and returned to his parents’ acreage (which police are still searching). Since police have official custody of the acreage, Garland was also stepping onto the crime scene."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1452488/4...ry-family-disappearance-turned-homicide-case/

Interesting article in today's Calgary Sun....

A member of the notorious Red Scorpions gang — based in B.C.’s Lower Mainland — and three associate members have been arrested in Alberta following a coordinated series of search warrants in Red Deer, Airdrie and Calgary.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/28/red-scorpions-gang-member-arrested-in-red-deer-alert

Yes, I read this and thought what timing! Although there seems to be lots of crime in Airdrie, it does seems strange such a big bust, one of the associations arrested in Airdrie…I don't think DG was an active meth cook myself, but wondering if he could order 'supplies' for this gang to make drugs via P2 Solutions or maybe helped create aliases for criminals. Just thoughts...

I recall the comment from a video with the police chief, but I don't know where the link is anymore. There is this though:

"Garland then violated his curfew and returned to his parents’ acreage (which police are still searching). Since police have official custody of the acreage, Garland was also stepping onto the crime scene."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1452488/4...ry-family-disappearance-turned-homicide-case/

Thank otto, couldn't remember, so much info going on, trying to remember it all.

Agreed, it makes no sense. However, many users have wondered why the bodies would be taken away at all?
Possibly the best answer might be as someone earlier stated, that the attacker was paranoid about leaving evidence, and in their frenzy decided to remove the bodies.
Someone else suggested that DG was only there to threaten and rough up AL, maybe to extort money, and fuelled by anger and adrenaline, it got out of hand and turned into a full blown triple murder. If the killer was not wearing gloves, maybe he thought his best option was to remove the bodies.
I can't imagine the chaotic, crazy, adrenaline fuelled thinking someone who had just killed would be having, maybe there was absolutely no reason to remove the bodies, but he just decided to do it that way.
Has anyone heard of another similar situation where the bodies were removed from a multiple murder scene post mortem?

Agreed, it makes no sense. However, many users have wondered why the bodies would be taken away at all?
Possibly the best answer might be as someone earlier stated, that the attacker was paranoid about leaving evidence, and in their frenzy decided to remove the bodies.
Someone else suggested that DG was only there to threaten and rough up AL, maybe to extort money, and fuelled by anger and adrenaline, it got out of hand and turned into a full blown triple murder. If the killer was not wearing gloves, maybe he thought his best option was to remove the bodies.
I can't imagine the chaotic, crazy, adrenaline fuelled thinking someone who had just killed would be having, maybe there was absolutely no reason to remove the bodies, but he just decided to do it that way.
Has anyone heard of another similar situation where the bodies were removed from a multiple murder scene post mortem?

Scroll down to "The Profile of a Violent Serial Offender." It explains their psychology and that they take the bodies with them.

Many of the jot notes in this section apply to DG, in my opinion.

http://www.mitchpileggi.net/Deep_Background/resources/forensics/forpsych.htm

I think we need to keep in mind that the accused has been charged with two counts of first degree murder. That excludes the possibility that he went to the house, there was an altercation, and the end result was murder. According to police, this was a planned and deliberate murder.

Regarding moving a body to a remote location, it's quite possible that any time a body is found in a remote location, it is a dump site.

Another thing.... That house appears MUCH smaller in real life than it looked like on TV and Internet photos.

I'm not sure of total square footage, but I imagine the rooms were in the tiny side and that the poor victims were like sitting ducks with nowhere to go or run to (assuming that they were awake and not sleeping).

Bodies provide a lot of evidence. It's possible he thought it would help him get away with the crime.

It's hard to say but defense council *may* ask for bail at this time.

Really. With the gravity of the charges and the known tendency to flee to avoid court--including breaking bail conditions on what, the 2nd night of his previous bail release. I suppose a lawyer must to what he can for his client, but I would eat my shoes if he was granted bail.

Really. With the gravity of the charges and the known tendency to flee to avoid court--including breaking bail conditions on what, the 2nd night of his previous bail release. I suppose a lawyer must to what he can for his client, but it would eat my shoes if he was granted bail.
I agree... I can't see bail being granted but defence council usually asks. I suspect they will also be asking for a change in venue - That has a good chance of being granted.

I think the next big issue is going to be paying for a high priced lawyer. Being released on a $750 bond does suggests he is a man of limited means at this time. Kim Ross won't be working for legal aid rates. He will, most likely, make application to the Supreme Court of Alberta seeking to have his fees paid by the generous people of Alberta. We in BC paid for Willy Picton's defense even though he and his brother owned a very large asset. For some reason the farm did not have to be sold to pay his legal bills. Also, the kind and generous citizens of BC paid for the defense of the alleged Air India bombers, for more than one trial as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie