American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

I wonder if the president has a view on this virus situation? Not trying to be political, but does he have any
say in the comings and goings of the infected into our country? I do realize the infected are US citizens.

I haven't seen any comments from him. Has there been any? all jmo

Imo, there is a bigger risk of an outbreak in the US from travelers coming into the country from abroad than from these 2 relief workers coming home for treatment. I am sure they can be more closely monitored and studied in Atlanta, than in Africa. jmo

I think we are seeing a mutation, you guys. It's got to be spread through the air, for the taxi people to get it; and it has got to be insanely small to penetrate the level 4 containment suits those guys wear. Either that, or it lives on surfaces in such a manner as to be unable to be killed - like some of the spores that viruses can develop.

I suspect that they're bringing the two patients to Emory because there will be huge numbers of tests, and lots of experimental treatments performed on them...maybe from this there will be some sort of cure/treatment developed.

This disease - this class of viruses - scares me poopless. Not only is it incredibly virulent, there's no treatment, and patients die very horrifically.

My prayers are with everyone...everywhere.

Best-
Herding Cats

Imo, there is a bigger risk of an outbreak in the US from travelers coming into the country from abroad than from these 2 relief workers coming home for treatment. I am sure they can be more closely monitored and studied in Atlanta, than in Africa. jmo

Exactly.

The male doctor is a friend of mine's sister's friend (got that?). He also gave up the only experimental treatment so his coworker could get it instead.

I think we are seeing a mutation, you guys. It's got to be spread through the air, for the taxi people to get it; and it has got to be insanely small to penetrate the level 4 containment suits those guys wear. Either that, or it lives on surfaces in such a manner as to be unable to be killed - like some of the spores that viruses can develop.Best-
Herding Cats

A view of gloves and boots drying in the sun
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140404150136-02-ebola-in-west-africa-horizontal-gallery.jpg

http://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/hc-dip-ebola-victims,0,7510646.photo

First Ebola patient will arrive in the USA Saturday.

I really want to know who authorized this. That is my first question. Private company, CDC, government? Do they have to pass through customs, etc.?
Why, why, why?!! In a previous post I linked to where another american died because he was not allowed to leave the country because of Ebola- and he didn't have it. So why are two Americans with Ebola being flown back? Why them and not him? Money? Connections? Is the government sponsoring this? Why?

http://www.kugn.com/common/more.php...ticle=C7950A6E191511E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

I remember reading that Ebola could spread airborne in The Hot Zone.

That was some scary book- when I read it, I sanitized everything (not that it would matter in an airborne disease).

First Ebola patient will arrive in the USA Saturday.

I really want to know who authorized this. That is my first question. Private company, CDC, government? Do they have to pass through customs, etc.?
Why, why, why?!! In a previous post I linked to where another american died because he was not allowed to leave the country because of Ebola- and he didn't have it. So why are two Americans with Ebola being flown back? Why them and not him? Money? Connections? Is the government sponsoring this? Why?

http://www.kugn.com/common/more.php...ticle=C7950A6E191511E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

I think Herding nailed it when she said that we needed subjects to do some more intensive testing and work on for some treatments for future patients.

I think Herding nailed it when she said that we needed subjects to do some more intensive testing and work on for some treatments for future patients.

i am not against the patients being brought back. I would want my family member to get the best care available. I want to know who authorized this. Was money behind it? If so, are we sure this is a wise decision?
"The announcement that at least one of these Ebola sufferers will be flown to Atlanta didn’t mention who made the decision. It seems not to have been a high federal official, because the jet being used is a private charter. And just hours before it took off from Georgia, Tom Frieden, the CDC director, was talking with journalists and gave no hint of the impending action. To the contrary, Frieden stated that such an intervention might be unwise.

If the cdc and or another govt agency are behind this then why? For testing? I want to know the process, who made the decision, who has the authority. I want transparency. Jmo

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...invited-ebola-atlanta-answer-needed/13487133/

Also how can they be so sure they can keep it contained?

Finally found an answer to one of my questions.
"“The State Department, together with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is facilitating a medical evacuation for two U.S. citizens who have been infected by Ebola in West Africa. The safety and security of U.S. citizens is our paramount concern. Every precaution is being taken to move the patients safely and securely, to provide critical care en route on a non-commercial aircraft, and to maintain strict isolation upon arrival in the United States,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a statement Friday."

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/american-ebola-patients-to-land-at-dobbins-reserve-air-base-1.296457

I wonder if it is just Samaritan's Purse that is financially backing the transfer? Based on this article, it seems they approached the CDC about the medical evacuations.

Friday afternoon, Emory held a news conference saying it is “looking very much forward to assisting” the Ebola patients. The hospital says Samaritan’s Purse first contacted them about bringing the patients to Atlanta.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/emory-university-hospital-prepares-ebola-patient/ngsL7/

Exactly.

The male doctor is a friend of mine's sister's friend (got that?). He also gave up the only experimental treatment so his coworker could get it instead.

But he was given the blood from a recovered patient of his. The blood would have antibodies in it and might help.

I think they want these two people because they know these two took necessary precautions and still got the disease. This means they need to study the possibility of alternative transmission.... at our nation's expense.

do not bring this disease to north america !!! WHAT THE HELLO are they thinking??? !!!

if the healthcare workers are taking precautions in africa, why/how are they getting infected?! if they aren't taking the necessary precautions, why aren't they?

I am interested in this CDC isolation unit. Where is the linen washed? Where does the sewage lead to? How are tests run on infected blood/fluids? Is there a separate lab, or is it sent to a main one? In the event of necessary surgery, is there a separate, isolated surgical suite?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back