GUILTY PA - Sharon Budd critical after rock dropped on car, Milton, 10 July 2014

Hi, responding on command is soooo important. Her brain is functioning. Eighteen is considered adult in Ohio. Whether the others did anything or not, being in the car could make them an accomplice. I hope both Lahrs' get the full measures of the law. Throwing that cement block an attempt at murder. There was a rash of these years back in Cleveland. I believe
the penalties were stiff. Fences placed on bridges to stop it. 77 and Grant Ave. were notorious!

This case really hit home to me. I almost suffered the same. Many years ago while on the way to the hospital to deliver my daughter a young man threw a large rock into the windshield of the van right at me. The windshield broke but the rock was deflected and did not hit me directly. I can still remember grabbing my nine month pregnant stomach trying to protect my baby. I and my baby was so lucky that day. The rock thrower was never found.

This case really hit home to me. I almost suffered the same. Many years ago while on the way to the hospital to deliver my daughter a young man threw a large rock into the windshield of the van right at me. The windshield broke but the rock was deflected and did not hit me directly. I can still remember grabbing my nine month pregnant stomach trying to protect my baby. I and my baby was so lucky that day. The rock thrower was never found.

Oh my Lord! How terrifying. I'm glad y'all were both okay.

Penalties for this type of crime are inadequate. There have been many instances of this crime here too, resulting in death and in serious injury.
The culprits were not charged murder or attempted murder.
Where it resulted in death they were only charged with accidental death - manslaughter. And with deliberately causing serious injury.
I agree that people who do this know they are deliberately intending to hit a car and the people in that car. So their actions are deliberate.
In my youth I would never stand on a bridge and drop slabs of concrete on cars - these people know what they are doing and should be charged accordingly. :twocents:

This is an indication of the type of adult these people are becoming and I would prefer they are kept behind bars.
To commit an act like this, then to try to whine their way out of it shows what type of adult they have become. We know all too well exactly type of adult they are. :jail:

And the latest on the Lahr brothers. With pictures, finally.

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/x1736716730/Attorney-2-brothers-didn-t-hurt-passenger

Unbelievable! Whoever posted the bail for these two delinquents should have INSTEAD donated the 10% towards the care of Sharon Budd.

But, the BEST news of all is this. This lady is a fighter!

Probably the parents of the precious children who'd never do something like this.

:eek: I'm so glad you're ok and the baby too!!

Well, that's refreshing (well kind of) He is, of course, denying that his son threw THAT rock. Hey, at least he's expressing sorrow which is more than the Lahr parents have done.

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/x1027602821/Another-teen-says-he-threw-rock-on-I-80-too

The father of the third juvenile charged as an adult in a July 10 rock-throwing attack that left an Ohio woman fighting for her life was apologetic following his son’s arraignment Monday.

video at link

More about Porter. I guess his parents are divorced and he was living with his mom, but now will be living with his father.

Porter, who turns 18 on Aug. 6 and will be a high school senior in the fall, does not have a prior arrest record, does not have a summer job and is on thyroid medication.

When asked if he would be represented by an attorney, Porter said, “We’re going to do that.”

Porter’s father said the teenager has moved from Milton to be with him in Sunbury.

However, the judge put Porter on house arrest and ordered him to meet with the Union County Probation Department to set up an electronic monitoring device. He is allowed to leave the house only for appointments or court hearings; if he violates the order, he’ll be back in court to have his bail changed, Mensch said

So if I'm reading that correctly, the four of them drove to the overpass in the unnamed juvenile's (KLM) vehicle. Lahr and Porter got out of the vehicle and started throwing rocks on the highway. After the Budd's car was hit and pulled over to the side of the highway, they went to the Laur's house and got their vehicle. I guess they were afraid that the people in the car on the highway would recognize the other car that they were actually using when they were parked on the overpass?

They claim that three rocks in total were thrown and only one hit a vehicle. Apparently they didn't read the article that says a tractor trailer driver claims to have been hit also. And the charges are for 7 misdemeanors for propelling "missiles" onto an occupied highway? Does this mean that the troopers found 7 large rocks on the highway under that overpass? Sounds like some of them may be "fibbing" a little.

MOO

So glad you and your baby were okay. If the who threw the rock continued his deviant behavior, I hope he was caught before he could do any serious harm.

I was on a small houseboat with some friends once, when someone threw a bottle as we passed under a bridge. Some of my friends were below deck and some of us were sitting above deck. The glass hit the deck, so no one was injured. There was just broken glass that had to be cleaned up. Looking back toward the bridge, we didn't see anyone. There was no warning, so it really startled us.

I don't understand why kids, teens, or anyone would find doing something like that "entertaining." There are so many constructive things for teens to do and, at their age, they should be capable of structuring their time. As the saying goes, "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop" (I think I remembered that correctly). It's scary to think these guys have not developed empathy for others, either. They belong in a place where their activity can be constantly supervised... prison.

My husband and I were driving home from visiting my Mom (about 45 minutes from our home). It was after dark and we were on a two lane state road where the speed limit was 55. We were going 55 miles per hour in one direction, and a car going 55 mph was coming towards us in the opposite direction. Suddenly the front windshield shattered after 'something' (we think it was a beer bottle) struck it with a huge BANG! Slivers of glass whooshed into our faces and our clothing. It's a good thing that we both wear glasses. Another good thing was that DH was driving...he didn't panic, and I probably would have. We actually found slivers of glass resting on the shelf of the back windshield, that's how far it blew in. We didn't stop, but went on to the next town and stopped at the police station there. It was so scary when it happened, cuz the sound of the bottle hitting the glass was so loud! I was picking glass out of my hair for hours.

People just don't realize the harm they could have done by throwing that out their window.

I couldn't read the whole thing. It upset me too much. I hope her quality of life is good when she pulls away from this.

Sharon Budd's son is deploying to Afghanistan today.

Godspeed, Luke Budd.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...er-rock-attack-as-son-deploys-for-afghanistan

They couldn't give him a deferment until his mom was better? :stormingmad:

I agree Steely Dan. He was scheduled to leave for Afghanistan the day after this happened (I believe on the 16th)

They did give him leave until today, but I still think it wasn't enough time. Especially since he will be gone for a year.

I can't even imagine how hard that will be for him. I'm praying for his safety until he can return back to his family.

Passenger hit by rock dropped from highway overpass upgraded to serious condition

Sharon Budd, 52, was moved to the critical care unit Thursday night and her condition upgraded to serious, a hospital spokesman said Friday.

She is doing "remarkably great," her husband Randy said. When she is asked questions she shakes her head yes and no, he said.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/08/ohio_woman_hit_in_face_with_ro.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back