GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO, but I don't think Abigail is over-exposing herself or doing anything problematic. She attended court. That's her right, and IMO is a very empowering thing to do as a victim. She stopped by the local paper to thank them for raising awareness and giving her hope, and agreed to a photo but declined to comment on her absence due to the on-going investigation. That's it. She hasn't even returned to her social media accounts.

JMO.. I know we are all concerned for her best interest.

I don't know if Abby is making the ideal decisions, right now. I don't see anything problematic, but that's just me.

With situations like this, I err on the side of "she's the victim and can do precisely as she sees fit." But, that's JMO.

I have been shocked about what's been said on the article comments since we first were celebrating AH's being home. I feel like the people are/were out for blood and they didn't get it. Now they're mad and they can say whatever they want on the interwebz.

When AH first went missing I was amazed, absolutely thrilled by the community involvement and their efforts to bring her home. There isn't a lot one can do, but supporting the family and remaining positive and doing whatever you can is great. They really went all out. AH's face was everywhere and people were making sure her story was heard.

The tune changed really fast when AH was home, for that first week all the condemnation and the rumors were insane! Even the former BF's dad going to the Daily Mail??!! When ZH came out and spoke to the media her comments where torn apart and condemned. Then a day later, an arrest. The sick freak who abducted a minor and held her captive for months was arrested! I expected to see her community once again circle the wagons around her. Instead, there were comments about her hair? HONESTLY?!?

ETA ALWAYS MOO

Snipped the rest of your comments just for brevity not because they were not valid but, rest assured, the whole community of North Conway area doesn't waste their time or energy posting online. Abby has a ton of support, it's just not by people who feel compelled to get in a battle online. I know this support personally because of the flood of emails I get, the number of people who have stopped me in stores (complete strangers), who are all so happy she is home. Negativity was always there but so has been the amazing support too.

Whenever you get too, too stressed about online vitriol, go pick a random article not related to Abby and read the comments. There are just some people who only know how to be miserable. Social media allowed us to keep Abby's story out there- unfortunately there are downsides to it as well. As they say, all magic has its price.

In the end, Abby is home. No comment can ever, ever take that away from this family and that is all that matters.

BBM

This is what's frustrating about depending on media for facts in a case. Seems the facts are pretty fluid. This source (and at least one other) says only one assault in his record:

Guess any solid facts will have to wait until trial.

1) the assault on the female at high school who he attempted to restrain. He was charged and I believe found guilty of assault upon her.

2) the assault on the girlfriend of the man he got into car accident with in March. I believe the charges were dropped or lowered at least to remove the assault which left only the trespass involved in that confrontation. Charges were allegedly dropped when the woman was too nervous to testify.

Both offenses were against females. One was dropped.

Don't have links handy just recalling off the top of my head. So that could account for some discrepancies. What he was charged with versus what he had been found guilty of.

wellput pkirsch213

Bessie, my comment wasn't directed to anyone. At least not on here. I was just trying to say I think Abby is doing what is right for her. I don't comment much because I worry I will say the wrong thing. Maybe I should keep it that way.

Snipped the rest of your comments just for brevity not because they were not valid but, rest assured, the whole community of North Conway area doesn't waste their time or energy posting online. Abby has a ton of support, it's just not by people who feel compelled to get in a battle online. I know this support personally because of the flood of emails I get, the number of people who have stopped me in stores (complete strangers), who are all so happy she is home. Negativity was always there but so has been the amazing support too.

Whenever you get too, too stressed about online vitriol, go pick a random article not related to Abby and read the comments. There are just some people who only know how to be miserable. Social media allowed us to keep Abby's story out there- unfortunately there are downsides to it as well. As they say, all magic has its price.

In the end, Abby is home. No comment can ever, ever take that away from this family and that is all that matters.

I absolutely agree with your statement, AH being home is the most important thing of all.

I do apologize if my post offended anyone in the community. I'm speaking only of what I've seen since AH went missing and now.

ALWAYS MOO

I absolutely agree with your statement, AH being home is the most important thing of all.

I do apologize if my post offended anyone in the community. I'm speaking only of what I've seen since AH went missing and now.

ALWAYS MOO

No apologies needed. I didn't mean anyone (or me) was offended. I just more meant to say if people were down because they thought it had all gone negative, it hasn't. There's wonderful, amazing people everywhere.

Bessie, my comment wasn't directed to anyone. At least not on here. I was just trying to say I think Abby is doing what is right for her. I don't comment much because I worry I will say the wrong thing. Maybe I should keep it that way.

I didn't take your comment that way. I perceived it to to be about the comments that people were/are posting online under stories news stations are posting. Jmo and all that jazz, but I agree with you for what it's worth vteme. Please continue posting.. :)

No apologies needed. I didn't mean anyone (or me) was offended. I just more meant to say if people were down because they thought it had all gone negative, it hasn't. There's wonderful, amazing people everywhere.
Thanks for the reminder! Many news outlets have changed their policies recently to require posters use their real names. It's nearly eliminated comments but it also prevented the comments section from being taken over by those advancing their own agendas and derailing the exchange.

After Abby returned, I read comments on MSM sites that allow psuedonyms because this was such amazing news. I would be furious about some of the comments. When I'd vent about it, my teenager would say "Welcome to the Internet." Within a few days, I stopped reading comments on those sites.

Thanks for letting us who aren't local know about the positivity you've seen. That's what we all want for Abigail; your comments are very reassuring to us worrywarts.

Yes, I was hoping you would say, that because she made a bold presence in the beginning, that this thing is only starting and now is the time to hang back and let the system do it's thing. Her first appearances say a lot about how this case will go. Showing up in court and defiant looks go a long way toward dispelling the rumors IMO. She didn't do this - I have said all along.

But after the 8/12 court date it will be time for Abby to get to school, for the public to butt out and for people to get on with their lives.

I think she has done a great job.

My Cow

LOL at My Cow

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

LOL Nice to see that when I crack myself up someone gets it, haha

Wait I am on break for now, :silly:

Thank you, vtmeme. I thought so. Please don't be afraid to post :hug:

I like the fact the "locals" are so supportive and not engaged in negative stuff online. For those of us some distance away we can only "experience" it through the internet so can't see all the wonderful stuff on the local level. However, in spite of all the negative things said, it is amazing overall to see the reactions of people to her return.
When she was still missing, there were tons of theories about where she was or what happened. When she returned, people here were so relieved, that I don't remember seeing anyone chortling "I was right! I knew it all along!"......it was just a genuine sense of relief. Naturally there was tons of curiosity, but it was tempered for the most part with grateful acknowledgement she was okay. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but those voices were overwhelmed by the resounding chorus of thanksgiving for her return.
I have never met AH or am ever likely to. So, how can you explain when I read "FOUND ALIVE" I had tears welling up in my eyes? My children asked me why I was smiling so much while sitting at the computer. How did this story reach out and touch a nerve so deeply? I have no idea. But I do know that while was written in post #502, there will always be people who are always miserable, around here anyway there is incredible positive energy directed toward Abby's well being and a successful conviction for those who did this.

can I ask a (possibly stupid) question bc I haven't followed that many cases, certainly not one like this.

wouldn't hospitalization be SOP for an abductee of 9 months? especially given the possibility she was held under horrific conditions in an unheated dumpster all winter? and possibly a rape kit for a minor, kidnapped by an older male?

maybe she was and we simply aren't privy...just curious. thanks in advance.

One of the early articles they said they spent the first few days she was back taking care of "medical things". I took that to mean doctor's appts, evaluations, and possible a trip to the hospital... I'm sure the first thing the police did was take her for a thorough eval.

1) the assault on the female at high school who he attempted to restrain. He was charged and I believe found guilty of assault upon her.

2) the assault on the girlfriend of the man he got into car accident with in March. I believe the charges were dropped or lowered at least to remove the assault which left only the trespass involved in that confrontation. Charges were allegedly dropped when the woman was too nervous to testify.

Both offenses were against females. One was dropped.

Don't have links handy just recalling off the top of my head. So that could account for some discrepancies. What he was charged with versus what he had been found guilty of.

*sigh* I'm just frustrated because I can actually remember a time when MSM wouldn't throw around false statements like this: "Kibby has a lengthy criminal record, including several assaults"--under the guise of semi-quoting a newly retired police lieutenant. The truth is, NK had two simple assault charges--with the only one that stuck being one from age 17, when he grabbed a girl's arm/jacket in high school to get her to listen to him. (The 2013 'shoving' assault lacked verification, even from the bf who said he wasn't sure if she was pushed or simply lost her balance.)

Sorry, but that simply doesn't equate to "a lengthy criminal record of several assaults." JMO, maybe, but that statement had far more to do with feeding a frenzy than it had to do with reporting truth. Doctoring the truth for whatever reason bothers me, especially when it happens in what used to be called Journalism. Fortunately some news writers still consult court documents for truth in reporting:

“Kibby has a lengthy criminal history, the majority of which took place when he was 17-years-old and charged in five criminal trespassing cases, two counts of receiving stolen property, providing false information to purchase a firearm and theft, all of which were misdemeanors, court documents state. During that time his address was a post office box in North Conway, which is adjacent to Hernandez’s hometown.”

http://www.630wpro.com/common/more....ticle=3E4F6812175311E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

http://abcnews.go.com/US/abigail-hernandezs-alleged-kidnapper-arrested-missing/story?id=24756065

http://www.nashfm985.com/common/mor...ticle=3E4F6812175311E4B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

Perception-shaping belongs on the Editorial page. Guess I'm just hopelessly old-school.

Thank you, vtmeme. I thought so. Please don't be afraid to post :hug:

Yes, why should you not post?

The :cow: says,,,

*sigh* I'm just frustrated because I can actually remember a time when MSM wouldn't throw around false statements like this: "Kibby has a lengthy criminal record, including several assaults"--under the guise of semi-quoting a newly retired police chief. The truth is, NK had two simple assault charges--with the only one that stuck being one from age 17, when he grabbed a girl's arm/jacket in high school to get her to listen to him. (The 2013 'shoving' assault lacked verification, even from the bf who said he wasn't sure if she was pushed or simply lost her balance.)

Sorry, but that simply doesn't equate to "a lengthy criminal record of several assaults." JMO, maybe, but that statement had far more to do with feeding a frenzy than it had to do with reporting truth. Doctoring the truth for whatever reason bothers me, especially when it happens in what used to be called Journalism. Fortunately some news writers still consult court documents for truth in reporting:

Perception-shaping belongs on the Editorial page. Guess I'm just hopelessly old-school.

Excellent post. I remember a time where it didn't happen as well, because it really only was a few years ago. It's ridiculous how dramatically the quality of reporting has gotten, completely on purpose to drive ratings and cut costs. A lot of people think it is splitting hairs to demand accuracy, apparently, but it definitely impacts justice in cases like these. When people don't understand or expect the actual facts, or can't distinguish between fact and rumor, it gets really easy to cause confusion and obscure real issues. The idea that these people were always "obvious" predators and the police "let them go" keeps getting a lot of coverage, based on a lot of conclusory judgments. It's dangerous to not acknowledge that many of these people are not "obvious", or to act as though the solution is permanently locking up anyone with any history of trouble or odd behavior.

Excellent post. I remember a time where it didn't happen as well, because it really only was a few years ago. It's ridiculous how dramatically the quality of reporting has gotten, completely on purpose to drive ratings and cut costs. A lot of people think it is splitting hairs to demand accuracy, apparently, but it definitely impacts justice in cases like these. When people don't understand or expect the actual facts, or can't distinguish between fact and rumor, it gets really easy to cause confusion and obscure real issues. The idea that these people were always "obvious" predators and the police "let them go" keeps getting a lot of coverage, based on a lot of conclusory judgments. It's dangerous to not acknowledge that many of these people are not "obvious", or to act as though the solution is permanently locking up anyone with any history of trouble or odd behavior.

Thanks, lawstudent. Gotta say, I have loved reading your posts; compassionate, but never neglecting truthful detail. "Gimme the facts, only the facts!" lol. I <3 Joe Friday.

ETA: How'd the bar exam go?

vtmeme, I disagree with most on the last four pages. but applaud your posts and please keep it up.

this is truly a phenomenal forum. thanks catfancier and Bessie...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member