CO - The 2014 Hot Car Incidents Omnibus Thread

I really wish there was more consistency from state to state as to the laws concerning leaving a child in a hot car. At the least, I think it is neglect, possibly abuse, and in some cases criminal neglect. Well, frankly, a lot of these people left their kids in the car on purpose for one reason or another--because "it would just be a few minutes," "I didn't think it would get that hot," "I didn't have a babysitter," etc. Those are bad enough. But somehow, if you claim to 'forget' that you had a helpless child in your car, that somehow becomes 'forgivable,' and you have 'suffered enough' and shouldn't be charged in the opinion of some, at least. But to me, that is the very definition of 'negligent' and I don't think anyone should get a pass for 'forgetting' a helpless child in a hot car. Thoughts?

:goodpost:

This is exactly my thoughts also, I just wouldn't be able to put into words so nicely. I just can't see how you can forget you have left your child in the car.

Thank you for saying what I feel!

That makes #20 child in hot car death for 2014 :(

The story on that site has since been updated to explain in detail how this happened. It was actually the mother who left the baby in the car and it does sounds like it was completely accidental. The problem I am having is that we keep having so many of these "accidents". I am just not sure how I feel about it anymore.

The story on that site has since been updated to explain in detail how this happened. It was actually the mother who left the baby in the car and it does sounds like it was completely accidental. The problem I am having is that we keep having so many of these "accidents". I am just not sure how I feel about it anymore.

I can understand a split decision that could cause a tragedy for any parent, but this is an upsetting trend, I truly don't understand it. But I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

This article from the Deseret News, if accurate, I'm trying to understand:
http://bit.ly/1s39x5X

Ordinarily, she would then put the baby down for her nap.

So, if her routine was to put the baby down for a nap after dropping the boys at the babysitter, and the baby was still in the car, wouldn't a light go on when there was no baby there to put down for a nap, after rushing into the house to use the restroom?

On Friday, she got back in the car and drove to pick up the boys. After walking out of the babysitter's house to her vehicle, she discovered Skyah in the back seat.

If that's true, she didn't notice the baby wasn't "napping" when she left her to pick up her boys? Wouldn't she have had to taken the baby with her to pick up her boys? Unless someone was at her home that would watch the baby, which may have been the case. Often, exact details are distorted in the media, however, her sister's comments in this article disturb me.

Wright said her sister was devastated by the events. Her pain has been compounded by negative comments on the Internet."She doesn't need the negative. It's eating her away. It's eating the family away. She's a good mom and she made one simple mistake that she'd take back in a heartbeat," Wright said.

Her pain is compounded by negative comments on the internet? Maybe it's the way the statement is worded, "She doesn't need the negative". That's very true, but I can't imagine after losing a baby two days ago being concerned about any negative comments on the internet, you'd have to be holding me off the cliff. I also don't like the "one simple mistake" remark, all of it sounds very self centered and trite, just my opinion.

Have we devolved intellectually as a society that new safety devices must now be mandated by law so people won't leave babies in hot cars? Some are arrested, others aren't. Many people have gone to prison for the unimaginable loss of a child due to negligence, so "adding to her pain" is not a good excuse for not charging for neglect.

I have no doubt she suffering the worst agony imaginable, but this has been in the news at the beginning of every hot season for a long time now. I know the world is supposedly more connected than ever due to social media, but Facebook, Twitter and texting can be the biggest distraction in the world.

Switch places for a moment, in theory, if a babysitter with small children ran a quick errand and took their own children with them out of the car, would they be as forgiven for leaving their small charge in a hot car and it died, would the sympathy be overflowing as it is in these articles? I believe they would be arrested for child neglect, and this is what this is.

Just my opinion, and had to get this off my chest as it angers me to read this everyday, it seems.

The comments on this article are not as forgiving as on the Deseret News site. Also, on the ******** fund raising site. The family/friend have raised their dollar goal for this family:

A ******** fundraising page, which identifies the girl as Skyah Suwyn, had collected at least $11,465 from more than 200 donors as of Sunday evening. The goal initially was $12,000 but was increased to $18,000.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58256011-78/police-died-family-hurricane.html.csp

Another tragic case (I didn't see this one posted). This is more understandable as a tragic "accident", if the facts are accurate. I had a little one that I would make nap with me if I couldn't stay awake. This involved locking the bedroom door with a lock they could not reach at that age. Not pretending to be above it all, I was young but also cautious with an active 2 year old.

There was a trend years ago with children getting locked into empty refrigerators/freezers - leaving a door on an unused, unattended refrigerator is now against the law. I'm not sure how many cases occurred before that law was passed.
http://ktla.com/2014/07/30/child-dies-after-getting-trapped-in-hot-car-in-sylmar-lapd/

Another tragic case (I didn't see this one posted). This is more understandable as a tragic "accident", if the facts are accurate. I had a little one that I would make nap with me if I couldn't stay awake. This involved locking the bedroom door with a lock they could not reach at that age. Not pretending to be above it all, I was young but also cautious with an active 2 year old.

There was a trend years ago with children getting locked into empty refrigerators/freezers - leaving a door on an unused, unattended refrigerator is now against the law. I'm not sure how many cases occurred before that law was passed.
http://ktla.com/2014/07/30/child-dies-after-getting-trapped-in-hot-car-in-sylmar-lapd/

Wow, the entire family took a 3-hour nap? I would have considered a 3 hour nap quite the luxury when my boys were 3 years old!

What I could find, before I had to stop. :(. My prayers to all families and friends.
4/22 Aurora Aryana Hollingsworth, 20 months, North Richland Hills TX
4/16 Giovanni Alonzo Hernandez, 9 months SAN JOSE, Calif.
5/3 Fernando Velasquez, 4 years, Bakersfield, CA
5/8 Sophia Jane Goyeneche-Gray, 13 months old, Hartsville, SC
5/25 Logan Jacobs, 5 years, Princeton IL climbed in car
5/28 Jeremiah A. Kennedy, 13 months, Florence, SC
6/18 Cooper Harris, 22 months, Atlanta GA
7/6 Logan Cox, 3 yrs old, Buford, S.C
7/7 Benjamin Seitz, 15 months, Ridgefield CT
7/8 Bella Lindstrom, 4 yrs old, Flint TX
7/24 Anna/Kadylak, 10 months, Wichita, KS
7/27 4 week old, Statesville NC
7/30 3 yr old, Sylmar, CA, unsupervised climbed into car
8/1 Skyah Suwyn, 11 months, HURRICANE, UT

I guess to me, one of the things we have to consider when deciding whether charges/punishment are appropriate is whether we would similarly 'excuse' someone for negligence leading to the death of a person who is NOT their own child. Back on one of the Cooper Harris threads I gave a few examples of negligence that might unintentionally lead to a death of someone NOT related to the negligent person. One example was someone burning trash in their own back yard who didn't put it out and the fire spread to another property and caused death by smoke inhalation to one or more of the neighbors. Obviously, there was no intention to kill another human being, and possibly the person was distracted by pressures of life, work, child care, etc. And I posed the question: should the negligent person in those examples be 'forgiven' the negligence because they were very, very sorry & possibly emotionally devastated afterwards??? Or should they be charged for negligence that caused the death of another person regardless of their degree of repentance? Food for thought.

Regarding the news video posted by Yoda #32, the excuse is "they hadn't had the baby very long?" :banghead: I understand compassion, but stop with these crazy excuses.

I guess to me, one of the things we have to consider when deciding whether charges/punishment are appropriate is whether we would similarly 'excuse' someone for negligence leading to the death of a person who is NOT their own child. Back on one of the Cooper Harris threads I gave a few examples of negligence that might unintentionally lead to a death of someone NOT related to the negligent person. One example was someone burning trash in their own back yard who didn't put it out and the fire spread to another property and caused death by smoke inhalation to one or more of the neighbors. Obviously, there was no intention to kill another human being, and possibly the person was distracted by pressures of life, work, child care, etc. And I posed the question: should the negligent person in those examples be 'forgiven' the negligence because they were very, very sorry & possibly emotionally devastated afterwards??? Or should they be charged for negligence that caused the death of another person regardless of their degree of repentance? Food for thought.

Of course each case that is charged is based on the individual circumstances, but in these particular cases, I think all should be charged (at the minimum child neglect) or the numbers are going to rise. Crimes are not emotionless, but the law is supposed to be. Babies, so vulnerable, so innocent and these deaths are torturous. Heart wrenching.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back