GUILTY NC - Rev. Kent Torrey Hinkson, 71, Durham, 4 August 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
ZH1C2II.jpg

http://www.wral.com/durham-man-reported-missing-from-woodcroft-area/13869298/

Durham police asked for help from the public Tuesday to find man reported missing from his Woodcroft neighborhood home. Kent Torrey Hinkson, 71, was last seen Monday afternoon driving his red 2011 Hyundai Sonata with North Carolina license plate XZA-4259.

He is described as a white man about 5 feet 8 inches tall with blue eyes, gray hair, and a gray mustache and goatee. Hinkson wears prescription glasses and may also be wearing a black leather hat, Durham police said.

He has a fb page that I can't link...on iPad. He's married. Family seems very important. Spent Thursday alone viewing ft. Macon.

http://abc11.com/news/family-search...inister-last-seen-leaving-durham-home/245123/

Jeline Hinkson explained her husband, who does not have any known cognitive impairments, vanished without a trace.

He took their only car, a red Hyundai Sonata, to run errands around 3 p.m. Monday. She said he was going to the Wells Fargo, Rite Aid, and the grocery store to pick up some lettuce for their dinner they had planned with friends that night. Jeline said she knows Kent made a deposit at the bank, but doesn't know what happened from there...

"My gut feeling is that someone has taken advantage of him and overwhelmed him," she said. "If he could come back here, he would be here with us today."

he disappeared on their 48th wedding anniversary? how awful for his wife. i'm praying for his safe return.

http://www.wral.com/durham-minister-still-missing-two-days-after-disappearance/13869298/

Family members and friends spent Wednesday searching for clues in the disappearance of an Anglican priest in Durham who last seen mid-afternoon Monday when he went to run errands...

By 6:30 p.m., she called police and the family had traced his cellphone near Hillsborough Road. "There's been much searching there, and the car hasn't been found there," Jeline Hinkson said.

Hillsborough Road is about ten miles north of where he should've been.

Wonder what he got at Rite Aid? Was he picking up meds with street value?

it's interesting that earlier it was mentioned that the "family traced his cell phone" to a specific area. I was following the Jennifer Huston case and there was a lot of discussion about how LE needed a warrant to get her cell records. It was said that even if the family shared an account, they would only have access to the call history etc., not location of the phone. But that seems not to be the case here.

it's interesting that earlier it was mentioned that the "family traced his cell phone" to a specific area. I was following the Jennifer Huston case and there was a lot of discussion about how LE needed a warrant to get her cell records. It was said that even if the family shared an account, they would only have access to the call history etc., not location of the phone. But that seems not to be the case here.

in the missing durham man case, it's likely he has an iphone and the family used the "find my iphone" web application that is available on icloud.com. if you have the person's itunes account username and password and they have "find my iphone" turned on you can track their phone as long as it is powered on. once powered off it will show the last location of the phone prior to powering off.

this is entirely separate from cell phone records available from your service provider. there are some records you, as an account holder, have access to - mainly calls received and placed. there are other records the service provider has - content of texts, cell tower pings, etc - that are only available to LE and even then only with a search warrant. a search warrant is only given if there is evidence of a crime. this is what took so long in the jennifer huston case. her husband was able to use "find my iphone" and certainly could have given LE the calls received/placed list available by logging in to the service provider's web site, but LE likely wanted the tower pings and other information available only with a warrant. since they couldn't prove there was a crime in jennifer's case, it likely took longer to get the warrant to get the information.

in the missing durham man case, it's likely he has an iphone and the family used the "find my iphone" web application that is available on icloud.com. if you have the person's itunes account username and password and they have "find my iphone" turned on you can track their phone as long as it is powered on. once powered off it will show the last location of the phone prior to powering off.

this is entirely separate from cell phone records available from your service provider. there are some records you, as an account holder, have access to - mainly calls received and placed. there are other records the service provider has - content of texts, cell tower pings, etc - that are only available to LE and even then only with a search warrant. a search warrant is only given if there is evidence of a crime. this is what took so long in the jennifer huston case. her husband was able to use "find my iphone" and certainly could have given LE the calls received/placed list available by logging in to the service provider's web site, but LE likely wanted the tower pings and other information available only with a warrant. since they couldn't prove there was a crime in jennifer's case, it likely took longer to get the warrant to get the information.

I have friends who have some kind of app on all of their phones that allow them to track each other. And they do. I don't know if it's a find my phone app or some other app, but my friend was even able to track her ex husband while he was "deployed" as a govt. contractor overseas. Her current boyfriend traveled a lot and she was always pulling it up..."hm....wonder where he is today..."

So it looks like his car was found at an apartment/condo type place. And it's only about a mile from the Wells Fargo.

Ah, thank you for that info! I wasn't thinking about the "find my phone" feature - I immediately jumped to the tower pings. That makes much more sense.

I put the 1800 block of Williamsburg Rd. into Google Maps (where the car was found) and it's heavily residential and doesn't look like a well traveled road at all. The 1800 block, at least, looks very much like a "back road" through a section of condominiums and apartments.

A little more information..

Durham police investigators on Monday night located his phone near Hillsborough Road, around Bennett Place, where Kent Hinkson often volunteered.
“There would have been no reason for him to go up there at that time,” Jeline Hinkson said. “The people who worked there said they didn’t see him at all.”

“We had had a very busy Sunday,” she said. “But Monday morning was quiet.” She said that morning Kent Hinkson woke up, spent a few hours on the computer and then in the afternoon he went out to run errands.
Jeline Hinkson said Kent had left to pick up lettuce for a dinner they were having with friends Monday night. He made a deposit at the bank, then went and bought a few items at the pharmacy.

http://www.heraldsun.com/news/localnews/x1071193846/Family-friends-baffled-by-man-s-disappearance

The link also has info about his background, home life, personality..

Sad case. My prayers are with his family.

I have friends who have some kind of app on all of their phones that allow them to track each other. And they do. I don't know if it's a find my phone app or some other app, but my friend was even able to track her ex husband while he was "deployed" as a govt. contractor overseas. Her current boyfriend traveled a lot and she was always pulling it up..."hm....wonder where he is today..."

Real quick on that...most major carriers, sprint and Verizon FE, have family locator apps. Depending on the type of phone, it can get within a tenth of a mile. Even with a phones gps turned off it will locate within one mile, Verizon even tells you the speed the phone is traveling at...very useful for teens!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back