Identified! AZ - Coconino Co, 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Celeste Eaton

Here's a remote possibility; Gail Dahl. I know she disappeared in 1980, but they found her car near Yuma, AZ. She could have easily ran off with someone. I think I read a few threads back that VS wasn't ugly by any means. Gail is definitely attractive, but the only issue is her height. PS, I'm not finding Gail in Namus.

Missing Since: August 2, 1980 from Simi Valley, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: August 10, 1957
Height and Weight: 6'0, 135 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Dahl has a horizontal scar on her left calf. She may use the last name Gardner.

Details of Disappearance

Dahl was last seen in Simi Valley, California on August 2, 1980. She has never been heard from again. Her car was found on August 14 in Imperial County, California, about ten miles northwest of Yuma, Arizona. Few details are available in Dahl's case.
sura7yga.jpg

Here's a remote possibility; Gail Dahl. I know she disappeared in 1980, but they found her car near Yuma, AZ. She could have easily ran off with someone. I think I read a few threads back that VS wasn't ugly by any means. Gail is definitely attractive, but the only issue is her height. PS, I'm not finding Gail in NamUs.

This is Gail's NamUs page --
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17694/62

I had to look for her because, for some reason, I had thought that Gail Dahl was shorter, yet both NamUs and the California Department of Justice say that she really is that tall.

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=7938026032165

There's a lot to like about that match, but the height is a problem. Also I don't think the scars match up.

I apologize if this was mentioned before, but I wonder why she only had one ear pierced? Is this significant at all? Was this a trend at the time?

I read the Charley project page which contains the info as to why they say only the left is pierced. I imagine both ears were pierced but they can't confirm that sadly :(

I saw the new ct-scan recon that DoeNet added to Valentine Sally's DoeNet page.

18d5d3fe-2490-4b36-9176-5d76afedc124.jpg

http://doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html

I remember that during my conversation with Coconino County Detective Chuck Jones, he said that although the remains were significantly decomposed and scavenged by animals, he knew from the truck stop waitress' description of her that she was a very attractive girl, and she "would have turned heads". So using the facial dimensions depicted in the ct-scan recon, I decided to do my own estimation of what she probably looked like.

6cf3de7f-8e15-4d62-9a38-d66c2d2db68a.jpg

Is her nose rather sharply tilted toward the left, or is that an optical illusion?

I think that's just an imperfection on the part of the person using the CT-Scan composite software.

I don't think her nose was crooked like that, so I straightened out her nose when I did my version.

I noticed that a department store called Leggett was advertising Seasons Brand clothing on sale in the Winchester (VA) Star newspaper circa 1983. This is the first time I have ever heard of Leggett stores. I guess if she was traveling on the road, she could have stopped in Virginia or she could have stayed there at some point.

I keep thinking about Amanda Fravel - but her date last seen is in 1986...unless that is an error...she is/was so pretty and seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

CarlK, do you know if LE has suspicions about Amanda's disappearance...like maybe the BF was involved???

Carl, that is an amazing composite!

I wish we could find the waitress and have her take a look, but then again I have a feeling after thirty years she probably wouldn't remember. Have you shown it to the detective?

I find it strange that her sweater was supposed to be pulled over her face (Which I take to mean covering) and yet the animals still got her face and neck so badly..

I'm also wondering if maybe this is a case where, because it was the early 80's the detectives didn't take the missing person report seriously and they just tossed it in the trash. I think we need to have a public service announcement telling people to re-submit any missing loved ones they may have had.

Didn't see that this article had been linked yet. I found it while doing some housekeeping:

A hope was renewed in solving the case of Valentine Sally and several others when the federal government awarded the sheriff&#8217;s office a $300,000 grant to do DNA testing on homicide remains of unsolved cases. One case proved fruitful, but the DNA results for Valentine Sally were placed into a national database and came back negative. <snipped> Much more at link!

http://azdailysun.com/blogs/crimina...cle_60c6aa7c-101c-11e3-9c62-0019bb2963f4.html

There's also some links on the right side to other cold cases in the area.

I thought the suggestion of Judith O'Donnell was a good one, she looks strikingly similar.

I just contacted Chuck Jones to suggest that he look at Elisabeth Martinson as a possible match to Valentine Sally.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10404/0/

There is no photo available of Elisabeth, but there was enough there that she might be worth a look.

She had blonde hair, and just like Valentine Sally, was described as very pretty.
Her height (5'5") matches.
Her DLC is only about three weeks prior to Valentine Sally's discovery.

The negatives are that her age (22) is a little above the range, and her hair is described as short. But nevertheless, he agrees that she might be worth a look.

He also speculating that Valentine Sally might have been murdered by her father, and for obvious reasons, he would not report her missing. If he was a Trucker/single father, and driving her around the country, this case would never be solved unless a mother or sibling decided to come forward. If she had no siblings and there was no mother in her life, there would be nobody to come forward.

Regarding Norma Jean Halford, he says that there is very little he can do with this because they have neither DNA nor dentals on her, and he can't make Colorado LE go out and hunt down the family members.

Elisabeth is no longer on NamUs. I cannot find information on why she was removed. Hmmm....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back